• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Hm... Is this now the living in Japan GAF OT then? Should we use the old thread for vacation in Japan stuff?

Yes, well be better.

I can change the tittle too for the other.

I will update the Meet-up in this thread.

I will do later the reservation.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I was expecting more like what's your go to famiresu..what car insurance do you have..are you running the Osaka marathon..etc..

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Oh hey I didn't even know there was a Japan gaf outside of the folks I know on twitter, hey there.

Aizo

Banned
Woah, this time tomorrow I leave to go to Japan. For a year.

That crept up fast.
Where are you going? School?
I was expecting more like what's your go to famiresu..what car insurance do you have..are you running the Osaka marathon..etc..
Jonathan's has that drink bar... Mmm maccha lattes..
They just started re-selling hot drinks at conbinis. RIP summer good riddance.
Seriously.
But the weather has been nice the past few days, at least.

Rinoa

This thread is now about the greatest dydo drink of all time. (full disclosure: I was once in a dydo cm)

308882.jpg

(I wanna see the CM)

I lived on these paired with 7-11 pastries as a snack

P3195347.jpg

Tadaima

My mum is planning to visit next week. Can she use the JR Rail pass to travel to Kyoto from Tokyo by Shinkansen? Could someone with experience please talk about the limitations of the pass?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
(I wanna see the CM)

I lived on these paired with 7-11 pastries as a snack

P3195347.jpg

Too sweet, like all bottled drinks ;_;

The ほっとレモン and ほっとしょうが own.

And yeah weather is good. Walked around Tokyo all day yesterday with an umbrella and there was 0 rain. Thanks forecast ._.

Bullza2o

Went to Tokyo September 2012 for a couple of days. It was amazing and I want to visit again sometime but to another city!

Zornica

Banned
I hardly buy drinks, but this is the best. It is the only one I buy from vending machines.

I tried buying every single drink there is, but I never came across that one. Every time I spot something new in a vending machine, I got to try it.
I nearly broke my back because I had like 7 bottles in my backpack once.

i kinda like the "apple tea"... can't remember what company it was from

btw: the meet up link is broken it seems

Rinoa

Too sweet, like all bottled drinks ;_;

The ほっとレモン and ほっとしょうが own.

And yeah weather is good. Walked around Tokyo all day yesterday with an umbrella and there was 0 rain. Thanks forecast ._.

Def could do with less sugar, but the milk-tea ratio is just right on this particular brand.

Anyone know why patisseries/bakeries have bigass lineups? Whenever I wanted something like tea and cake there would be a 3 hour lineup outside the restaurant.

Also, I miss this bathroom
Marui+Department+Store+Shinjuku_Sisalla+02.jpg

Aizo

Banned
I tried buying every single drink there is, but I never came across that one. Every time I spot something new in a vending machine, I got to try it.
I nearly broke my back because I had like 7 bottles in my backpack once.

i kinda like the "apple tea"... can't remember what company it was from

You gotta try that aloe and grape drink. It has solid pieces of aloe. So good.

I freaking loved Japanese vending machines. I was walking a bunch, so having them everywhere was very useful to me.

I mostly stuck with Tropicana, though I tried some of the other things. The pricing was funny too; inside my hotel? 100 yen or whatever. Right across the street? 50 yen, better drinks. There was a Tropicana with honey one that was awesome

Gromph

Staff Member
Hello,

GAF official meet up unless is canceled by any circumstance:

When:

September 6th (Saturday) 7:00 PM

Where:

わらやき屋 赤坂 (Warakiya Akasaka)

Address

Continental Akasaka V, 3-12-3, Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 107-0052

Map

00000099.png

* The arrow is the start 赤坂見附駅 (Akasaka-Mitsuke Station)

Access

Subway Chiyoda Line Akasaka Station Exit 1 1-minute walk
Subway Marunouchi Line Akasaka-Mitsuke Station 4-minute walk
Subway Nanboku Line Tameike-Sanno Station 5-minute walk

Who:

• JulianImp
  • Ayumi
  • Desmond
  • AllenShrz
  • CHusson91
  • jae
  • Mercurio
  • Evilore
  • Gromph

I will be able to meet people in the station and walk with they to the Izakaya.

Need to make a map too.

If you need my phone please PM me and will give it for contact.

I will make a second meet up for people who can't come on Weekends.

Gromph

Staff Member
This is a reason alone to not show up.. Not all of us are comfortable with the idea of getting our picture taken and put online.

Don't worry. No photos allowed :)

I don't know if it is too late to be added to the list. I posted earlier this week but it must have gotten lost in the shuffle between new threads. I would like if possible to be put down for the meet up.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Oh wow -the GAF meet up is within touching distance of where my office is, Saturday might be impossible, but maybe can pop out late at night (home isn't quite as convenient but not a million miles away)

Anyhoo - HELLO! Nice to see an official Japan GAF thread after all this time !

from the questions above

What made you interested in Japan?

Gaming mainly - plus a trip here in 1998. Fiancee at the time and I were looking to move to Holland, but after the trip here we decided if we were going to leave England we might as well go crazy

Why did you learn the language (for those who are not learning, are you interested?)?

To my shame - 15th year, but still not where i should be language wise. Usual excuse : job for 13 years was a 95% English language usage US firm, wifes first language is english etc. I was still okay enough to get through each day and handle most htings, but handling business was a stretch. Job now is Japanese heavy, so that's got me moving

Are you currently living in Japan?
Yes

How long have you lived in Japan?

14 full years, into year 15 now. House, wife, kids. Whilst never say never, i can't see me ever leaving

Shengar

How jyozu must my hashi be before I am no longer a gaijin?
I laughed way too hard at this
Who:

• JulianImp
  • Ayumi
  • Desmond
  • AllenShrz
  • CHusson91
  • jae
  • Mercurio
  • Evilore
  • Gromph

I will be able to meet people in the station and walk with they to the Izakaya.

Need to make a map too.

If you need my phone please PM me and will give it for contact.

I will make a second meet up for people who can't come on Weekends.

Whoa, this is big o_O
Is this EviLore first visit to Japan?

I'll soon be in Japan for a year for my year abroad. Wouldn't mind meeting up with any gaffers over that time, but unfortunately I won't be there in time for the meet on 6th Sept.

Aizo

Banned
What made you interested in Japan?

Gaming mainly - plus a trip here in 1998. Fiancee at the time and I were looking to move to Holland, but after the trip here we decided if we were going to leave England we might as well go crazy
Whoa! That's so cool. Thanks for answering my random questions.
I would be interested in making some sort of recommended 5 questions to answer for people coming to the thread. That is, if it's something you all would want. I find that kind of stuff intriguing for a community thread.

Don't worry. No photos allowed :)
Whoa. Such a secretive meeting.
I'll just take selfies in the corner.

Izuna

Banned
I opened up this thread thinking I can answer the question before realising it is an OT.

There is absolutely no reason to take a cab, use the express train, figure out the train system and by the time you get to where you are staying, you are going to have the experience to enjoy the rest of your stay without headache. 😉

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Would December be a good time to visit Japan? I was thinking about 2 weeks, like 1-16 of December. I guess that the second half would be too expensive, considering Christmas and new year. I was thinking about staying in Tokyo.

I wanted to pass along some apps I use for when in Japan, that I feel are very helpful.

14907625960_1803b41650_q.jpg

Tokyo Rail Map+ Lite (Yokohama, Saitama, Chiba)

14907661829_410271f329_q.jpg

NAVITIME for Japan Travel - Transit Guide, Wi-Fi Search & Train Route Map

If anyone has any other apps that they consider to be a must have while in Japan, please share with the rest of the class.... :)

That Navitime app was a lifesaver for me in Japan. Without it, I would have stepped outside my hotel and been immediately lost and couldn't find my way back.

Aizo

Banned
Would December be a good time to visit Japan? I was thinking about 2 weeks, like 1-16 of December. I guess that the second half would be too expensive, considering Christmas and new year. I was thinking about staying in Tokyo.

Any time that's not Summer is a good time to visit.

I come from the mountains and don't like heat, though. December is pretty pleasant, honestly. You'll perhaps miss out on a lot of activities that happen in better weather, but it shouldn't negatively affect your trip. Fewer people, and if you happen to see shrines in the snow, that's quite nice. I'd say go for it.

Top Bottom