• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT9| The Return of the Queen

BluWacky

"That man to me seems equal to the gods,
the man who sits opposite you
and close by listens
to your sweet voice

your enticing laughter—
that indeed has stirred up the heart in my breast.
For whenever I look at you even briefly
I can no longer say a single thing,

but my tongue is frozen in silence;
instantly a delicate flame runs beneath my skin;
with my eyes I see nothing;
my ears make a whirring noise.

A cold sweat covers me,
trembling seizes my body,
and I am greener than grass.
Lacking but little of death do I seem."​

God I love this poem. I first encountered it in Catullus's translation (where he gets most of the way through and then writes a verse about how he's annoyed with himself for wasting time translating other people's love poetry!) but have been reading Sappho's works just this week; what timing!

Well done Sappho, you got me to post in the LGBT thread for the first time despite having been on GAF for 12 years now...

OrionX

Alright, since I'm new I guess I'll be serious and fill out the membership form. Not sure if I'll post here much, since I'm not all that interesting and don't have juicy stories, but it felt important that I formally out myself on GAF. lol

Sexual orientation: Gay
From/Live: Houston
Favorite Type of Music: Florence + the Machine. That's right, only Florence. Actually, also Ed Sheeran. Why are my favorite artists both British redheads, you ask? I'm sure it's just a coincidence.
Profession or Career interest: Looking, majored in Advertising.
Favorite video game(s): Persona, Final Fantasy, Mass Effect. Name a rpg franchise and I'm probably a fan of it.
Hobbies: Swimming, reading, writing, self-doubt, helping my parents care for my autistic brother.
Picture: Don't you wish? :p I'm too shy, sorry. I would draw myself for you, but it would basically just be a really hot stick figure. Pretty sure I'm not ugly. You can trust me, I swear. I never lie. Well, except for the part where I didn't tell anyone I was gay for over a decade. But other than that I'm an open book! lol

Sibylus

Banned
Thank you all for the kind words <3

cats-paws.gif~c200

Hello again~

Didn't think I'd be in the Top 20.

Loving the simpe but elegant OP, Sybilus. Good work!

What's a "lydian lyre" though?

Thank you! The lyre is an ancient stringed instrument, in this particular case she describes one from Lydia (a kingdom/region of western Anatolia). You can see her holding a lyre in the header image at the top of the OP.

Thank you very much guys ^^

also fantastic OP where them poems from?
Thank you! These poems are the works of Sappho, an ancient Greek poetess renowned for her love poems to both women and men. The term "Sapphic" (referring to woman-woman love, lit, etc) is named for her.

God I love this poem. I first encountered it in Catullus's translation (where he gets most of the way through and then writes a verse about how he's annoyed with himself for wasting time translating other people's love poetry!) but have been reading Sappho's works just this week; what timing!

Well done Sappho, you got me to post in the LGBT thread for the first time despite having been on GAF for 12 years now...

Woo! I knew mah girl would pull in some eyes. Welcome!
smile.gif

Christening the new ot.
Made plans with Grindr guy to go to the indoor trampoline place. Assuming he'll invite his friends which is fine.

Delio

Oh I didn't even know the old one was done. Anywho.

Your gender? Male
Your sexual orientation? Gay
Where Are You From? Texas in the USA
Where Do You Live? Fort Worth
How Old Are you? 30
Favorite Type of Music? Witchhouse, Ambient, dark music. ( Or you know whatever sounds good.)
Profession or Career interest? Author
Favorite video game(s)? Pokemon, SMT, Jrpgs in general. Racing games ( only arcadey one).
What are your hobbies (other than gaming)? Writing, watching movies, Cooking ( not really) and listening.

Recent picture.

i havent touched this thread in a while, i didnt expect to be 4th poster.

Your gender? male
Your sexual orientation? pan or bi dont really know :p
Where Do You Live? Austin
How Old Are you? 17
Favorite Type of Music? whatever, mostly probably hip hop and punk
Profession or Career interest? computer science
Favorite video game(s)? league, CS, and inside.
What are your hobbies (other than gaming)? sometimes art and coding

Golnei

I'll just link the IBQ I did in the last thread, it's still more or less valid for everything but age. Taking photos of food that don't look like hellish vomit has become more of a struggle than actually cooking lately, though.

i havent touched this thread in a while, i didnt expect to be 4th poster.

I'm not sure if you've mentioned art as a hobby/interest before, have you been getting into that recently, or have you been doing it for a while?

Wait, we're doing pictures too? And why do you all look so cute?

I'm really not photogenic, so I never take any pictures of myself. But I managed to find a pic of me at a relatives' graduation from a year or two back. I haven't changed much from back then, but I could do with working out more regularly to stay in better shape.

not photogenic! get outta here! very cute :p

I'm not sure if you've mentioned art as a hobby/interest before, have you been getting into that recently, or have you been doing it for a while?
i did an art class last year, and i draw just for fun and it is relaxing.
im pretty shit but whatever :p

Thank you! These poems are the works of Sappho, an ancient Greek poetess renowned for her love poems to both women and men. The term "Sapphic" (referring to woman-woman love, lit, etc) is named for her.

thanks for exposing me to this ill check it out ^^

Andrin

You look really really young.

I get that a lot. I still have patients and relatives who ask me if it's fun visiting my mum at work for school, and I'm like "Yeah, I'm actually the doctor seeing patients at the clinic today. Can you tell me how long you've been peeing blood, and does it hurt when you do so?"

not photogenic! get outta here! very cute :p

*Blushes* Thank you. But I think I was in about 20+ pictures that day and that one's the only one that looked decent. And I don't wear my contacts often, so the glasses I had back then made it worse because they really didn't fit my face. The ones I have now are a lot better.

I'll reintroduce myself since I rarely post and mostly lurk.

Your gender? Biologically male but sometimes don't identify as a male.

Your sexual orientation? Bi.

Where Are You From? California.

Where Do You Live? Alameda/Oakland.

How Old Are you? 31, 32 in Feb.

Favorite Type of Music? Ozzie Osbourne, Michael Jackson, Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Genesis/Phil Collins, ETC. I could list all day.

Profession or Career interest? Associates and Bachelor degrees in English. Haven't really got a job in my field yet. Thinking of going into a teaching credentials program or Masters program.

Favorite video game(s)? Zelda, Pokemon, Resident Evil, Metroid, Mario, Arkham Asylum/City, Xenoblade, ETC.

What are your hobbies (other than gaming)? Writing poetry and sometimes fiction.

Maybe a selfie later since
I'm not dressed
and I haven't taken a recent picture.

daripad

Your gender? Dude
Your sexual orientation? Super gay
Where Are You From? Mexico
Where Do You Live? Mexico
How Old Are you? 22
Favorite Type of Music? Rock/Alternative, though lately I've been experimenting with R&B, Pop and Hip Hop. I love The Beatles, The Smiths, Pearl Jam, Radiohead and David Bowie.
Profession or Career interest? Still working on it, I want to be a doctor.
Favorite video game(s)? Smash, Rocket League, Pokemon, Mario Kart, F-Zero GX, Mario Sunshine, RDR, Uncharted.
What are your hobbies (other than gaming)? Listening to music, reading, movies

This is me btw:

It was probably me and I forgot
It might have been you. A not so fun fact about the now abandoned naval base is thanks to those nuclear missiles being stored there the residents can't grow anything edible in the ground. They have to import dirt from somewhere else and grow it inside a pot/container if it is meant to be consumed later. The base is now used for low income housing now that the navy pulled out.

KmA

I wanted to write this in the last OT but it was close to its #demise so I'll just write this here.

My dad came into my room yesterday evening and I thought he was just coming in to yell at me about school or whatever. Which he did lmao. But then he kind of started... to stutter a little bit? Like he was really hesitant and I started feeling this rushing panic attack starting from the bottom of my heart.

So some background, I told my mom that I'm gay back in May 2015 and it... didn't go spectacularly. We haven't really talked about it since then and I basically begged her not to tell my dad because I was worried he might stop paying for my school.

Anyway, back to my panic attack. My dad was like "so i was talking to your mom.... and she told me about your preference." In that moment I stood the fuck up and was like WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT THIS. My dad was just like boy... sit your ass down let me finish. (What he said next will melt your heart!)

He told me that he doesn't care. That he would support me no matter what I do in my personal or private life and that he'll love me no matter what type of person I am. He was just worried about my behavior for the past few years, which obviously has been changing since I realized I was gay. I don't know how to feel tbh. This is so out of left field because I was expecting the worst out of him (we're Muslim so like... I wasn't really expecting my parents to get it). And I also don't have a very strong relationship with him to begin with. So I don't know what to think. Relief I guess? It could have gone a lot worse than this so I'm a bit thankful for that.

I'm just kind of in a state of shock right now I didn't expect this. I'm rethinking his role in my life now because before I didn't want him as a part of my future but now... idk.

Crayons

Banned
I wanted to write this in the last OT but it was close to its #demise so I'll just write this here.

My dad came into my room yesterday evening and I thought he was just coming in to yell at me about school or whatever. Which he did lmao. But then he kind of started... to stutter a little bit? Like he was really hesitant and I started feeling this rushing panic attack starting from the bottom of my heart.

So some background, I told my mom that I'm gay back in May 2015 and it... didn't go spectacularly. We haven't really talked about it since then and I basically begged her not to tell my dad because I was worried he might stop paying for my school.

Anyway, back to my panic attack. My dad was like "so i was talking to your mom.... and she told me about your preference." In that moment I stood the fuck up and was like WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT THIS. My dad was just like boy... sit your ass down let me finish. (What he said next will melt your heart!)

He told me that he doesn't care. That he would support me no matter what I do in my personal or private life and that he'll love me no matter what type of person I am. He was just worried about my behavior for the past few years, which obviously has been changing since I realized I was gay. I don't know how to feel tbh. This is so out of left field because I was expecting the worst out of him (we're Muslim so like... I wasn't really expecting my parents to get it). And I also don't have a very strong relationship with him to begin with. So I don't know what to think. Relief I guess? It could have gone a lot worse than this so I'm a bit thankful for that.

I'm just kind of in a state of shock right now I didn't expect this. I'm rethinking his role in my life now because before I didn't want him as a part of my future but now... idk.
I'm really glad things worked out better than expected with you and your father :)

Pretty sure I answered the questionnaire in one thread, but I still mostly lurk these threads so I'll do it one more time <3

Your gender? Male
Your sexual orientation? Queer
Where Are You From? Pennsylvania
Where Do You Live? Pennsylvania (currently University Park)
How Old Are you? 22 (birthday in February)
Favorite Type of Music? Love rock and pop equally, although I basically try to like and listen to everything <3
Profession or Career interest? Criminologist
Favorite video game(s)? Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy
What are your hobbies (other than gaming)? Listening to music, reading, movies, writing

Selfie!

Pretty sure I answered the questionnaire in one thread, but I still mostly lurk these threads so I'll do it one more time <3

Your gender? Male
Your sexual orientation? Queer
Where Are You From? Pennsylvania
Where Do You Live? Pennsylvania (currently University Park)
How Old Are you? 22 (birthday in February)
Favorite Type of Music? Love rock and pop equally, although I basically try to like and listen to everything <3
Profession or Career interest? Criminologist
Favorite video game(s)? Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy
What are your hobbies (other than gaming)? Listening to music, reading, movies, writing

Selfie!

Criminologist, kingdom hearts and final fantasy? Sold! and adorable selfie!

Im so happy to hear this thanks for sharing im glad it worked out for you "sends hug"

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Your gender? Male
Your sexual orientation? Gay
Where Are You From? Puerto Rico
Where Do You Live? Tampa, Florida
How Old Are you? 27
Favorite Type of Music? Pop, Rock, Electronica, Metal. A bit of anything except Bachata or Reggaeton really.
Profession or Career interest?Videogame Design but honestly I'll just settle with something good enough to pay the bills
Favorite video game(s)?Bayonetta, Dark Souls, Lost Kingdoms, Resonance of Fate, Beach Spikers, Castlevania and more
What are your hobbies (other than gaming)? Reading,TV, Cooking, Movies, Walk,
be a slut

Elitist1945

Wow Top 10. Didn't realize I posted here so much now!

Your gender? Male
Your sexual orientation? Bi
Where Are You From? Ottawa, Canada
Where Do You Live? Ottawa, Canada
How Old Are you? 19
Favorite Type of Music? Everything but country
Profession or Career interest? Career interest in game design
Favorite video game(s)? The Last of Us and the Uncharted series
What are your hobbies (other than gaming)? Film, travels

Golnei

It's great to hear that it worked out well. I can understand the shock, especially for it to come unprompted - I've resigned myself to remaining closeted to a fair swath of my family until they die or cut off ties for other reasons, and being forced to reevaluate that would be relieving, but still undeniably odd.

Hi, I mostly just lurk but figure I would finally post! :)

Your gender? Male
Your sexual orientation? gay
Where Are You From? New Jersey, U.S.A.
Where Do You Live? Minnesota, U.S.A.
How Old Are you? 24
Favorite Type of Music? Pop / Alternative
Profession or Career interest? Currently lab technician, interested in programming though
Favorite video game(s)? all-time Final Fantasy 12, currently Overwatch
What are your hobbies (other than gaming)? Movies, snowboarding, cooking, baking

New thread holy shit
So um

Your gender?
Male
Your sexual orientation?
Gay
Where Are You From?
USA
Where Do You Live?
Some place around the NYC metro area...
How Old Are you?
20 something... 24
Favorite Type of Music?
Not your type
im open to lots of music so idk
Profession or Career interest?
Professional Student ... haha. Full time student and full time employee
Favorite video game(s)?
Persona/SMT, Pokemon, Bayonetta 1/2, Zelda, Chrono Trigger, TWEWY, Overwatch
What are your hobbies (other than gaming)?
Going out to eat and being Bougie AF, Traveling, Music, Reading, Going to events and socially drinking? Shows, performances and theater

No selfie at at least this time.
Maybe i can post more ...
I miss ya'll lol
But i dont post on gaf often as i used to. I browse a lot more

_Isaac

Your gender? Man.
Your sexual orientation? Homosexual.
Where Are You From? California.
Where Do You Live? California.
How Old Are you? 29 years exactly.
Favorite Type of Music? Catchy stuff.
Profession or Career interest? Programming.
Favorite video game(s)? Zelda.
What are your hobbies (other than gaming)? None.

Top Bottom