• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sneakers |OT| Hypebeasts We Know About Ya

Ah... my type of thread!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE sneakers...I had quite a collection while I was younger. I sold most of it in my University days so that I could put a deposit on a car.

The shoe game has changed a lot since then. I've been picking up personal favs of mine from when I was in middle school (Retro J's come to mind), but I haven't been dropping coin like I used to.

OH! It hurts!

It's actually because of the canvas, not so much the color. But I should get over that lol.

Other pairs of the Adidas X Star Wars shoes I own are:

- AT-ATs (hi-tops, forget what they are)
- X-Wings (Sambas)
- Han Solo (technically they're called SL 72 S.W.)

Tekniqs

You get the Breds or Space Jams?

I wasn't into the whole shoe thing when Space Jams came out...then when the Breds came out this past December, I was out of the country and I didn't want to deal with the headaches lol. I live in Victorville, small town. If I want to get the big releases, I have to drive down to Ontario Mills

edit: I agree with a poster on the previous page. Resellers are a freaking blight.

Snakeyes

Definitely gonna try to get the Royals in a few weeks.

Anyways...

MargielaGAT6von7.jpg
GOAT low-top high end sneaker.

GOAT high-top high end sneaker.

We used to be some of the Trainer (sneaker) kings in London...Early to mid 00's

But since we all got older we just grew out of the phase.

I still have a lot of heat. Probably my ostrich, crocodile & snake skin custom AF1's I got from Nike are my favourite. 2nd are my Union 180's...

But yeah no more Jordans for me. The price bump and inferior material they used on their early to mid 00's have put a lot of us off.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Anyone know if it's still possible to buy these anywhere?

225425_1800256540707_8051159_n.jpg

I wore the shit out of them but they were like my favorite shoe of all time :(

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Curse my flat feet and wide hobbit feet! Most companies don't make wide shows. Mostly it is just New Balance, which while being the most comfortable aren't the most fashionable out there.

bedlamite

hoPNsZ1.jpg

Been on a bit of a Jordan kick recently, probably trying to make up for not having the chance to pick them up when I was young. Picked up the Concord retros when they came out as well

Got the Ahchoo AXTs for 40% off, I know these are old but I could never bring myself to pay full price for them even though it was love at first sight when I saw the mix of colors and that buttery suede

The Roshes should really be more popular, these are MAD comfy once you break them in. I got a pair to replace my old beat-up Wovens and these are just ridiculously comfortable.

bnLOXFW.jpg

Got a baby coming in April and the kid's realistically only going to be able to wear these in about a year. But come on, what sneakerhead dad could resist these?

FUCK RESELLERS.

Let me also state that the only legit sneakerheads are those that actually wear their kicks. If you buy them just to stock them or to look at...wacksauce, man.

Let me finally state that there are other shoes out there than Jordans/Nikes. Other brands make great sneakers too...especially retro releases.

- thoughts on the current direction of the shoe game? The shoe game is fucked up because of resellers, hypebeasts (who themselves are often resellers), and companies (mostly Nike, who basically can sell whatever they want at any price because no one exists to challenge them). Sneakers used to be about cool players and cool colorways and none of that ultra-limited, quickstrike, waiting in lines, paying more than retail shit. I wish it went back to that.

- price rises vs declining material quality? That's the way everything is now...but Nike is amazing at it. Look at retro releases of theirs - nerfed leather, shit paint, removed details, etc. Now look at retro Reeboks - premium leather, identical detailing, great paint, and OG prices. Nike could do that...but there's no reason to do it, because people will sit outside Foot Locker for days just for the chance to buy retro Jordans without Nike AIR on them for $50+ more than they were when they were released.

the-rock-clappingbssek.gif

Double D

I took my son sneaker shopping and was amazed that more than half of the shoes available were throwbacks. I was pointing out dozens of sneakers that I owned when I was in middle/high school.

I tried to convince him to get Reebok Pumps but ultimately he went with these hideous mint green Lebrons.

Slizz

Man I just cannot do all whites or all white with suede.... I'd be too paranoid of a stain or a mark to enjoy them. Then there will be that one instance where I wear them when I go out and get a little too faded and get some indelible mark on them, never to look the same again.

Mr.Fresh

Man I just cannot do all whites or all white with suede.... I'd be too paranoid of a stain or a mark to enjoy them. Then there will be that one instance where I wear them when I go out and get a little too faded and get some indelible mark on them, never to look the same again.

Yea and do not let somebody step on some brand new fresh white sneakers! Omg! When I wear all white sneakers I put way to much attention into walking then I need to.

beat up white sneakers are great though

dsnerYs.jpg

If you can't rock a fresh pair of Air Force 1 lows or Adidas Superstar 80s, especially on a nice Spring or Summer day, you just haven't LIVED.

DominoKid

Those camo foams in the OP are everything I don't like about the current sneakerhead culture in a nutshell

1. the price. this is why resellers suck.
2. ugly as sin and theres no rhyme or reason to the colorway, other than being attention magnets
3. hypebeasts are gonna foam at the mouth over it

that's the type of shoe that just disgusts me when i walk into a Foot Locker.

Cheech

Curse my flat feet and wide hobbit feet! Most companies don't make wide shows. Mostly it is just New Balance, which while being the most comfortable aren't the most fashionable out there.

Yeah, I have the same problem. I wear the ugliest shoes known to mankind because I need 4E width.

Daily shoes:

1586650-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

Running shoes:

1859018-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

I remember trying on some original Air Jordans as a kid, and leaving the shoe store in tears because I couldn't cram my feet into them. I'd spent months saving up for them.

ah. dealing with a seller right now for some bred ivs. $200 vvvvvnds condition. this is the last pair of jordans i'll ever buy.

bjscott05

Oh sweet jesus Royal Blues are coming out? Do they have Jumpman branding or Nike air?

Jumpman. They are going to be just like the Bulls and Knicks releases in early Jan. Nike Air branding will be back with the black toes that come out in May (I think). Can't wait.

Air-Jordan-1-Retro-Black-Toe-2013-01.jpg

mooooose

I don't know if these count but I got em last month. Love the feel and color:

nike-free-run-2-woven-leather-tz-3-630x418.jpg

Nike Free Run +2 Woven Leather TZ Pack

(I think they were on Hypebeast lol)
These are great.

Nike just re-released the Infrared 90s a couple of weeks ago...but with slightly yellowed soles for a 'vintaged' look.

LG9FaGV.jpg
Ew what the fuck. Both the 05 and 10 were shit quality and the paint would crack off the soles, even worse on the 10s. I'd like another pair but I can't be bothered.

Also these are my favorite shoes in the last couple years, I wish I had multiple pairs...

AF1 X Futura

futura-be-true-air-force-1.jpg

Deep black perforated leather, tons of details, custom lace lock, custom tag, clear soles with Futura tag

Futura-x-Nike-Air-Force-1-High-Be-True-08.jpg

Also, it was easy to miss them but these
Nike-SB-Dunk-Hi-Gore-Tex-01.jpeg

Are amazing. I think they were a limited release but they're some knockoff Goretex, waterproof dunks. I wear mine daily and other than some dirty mud that could be cleaned off if I could be bothered, they look great still and I used them everyday from November to April last year, and from November to now. Such a great pair of shoes, another one I wish I had more of because there will come a time where these become beaters.

I have been out of the shoe game for over a year now, nothing really interests me. I bought a pair of Destroyers and a pair of Curry dunks last year, but nothing is cool anymore. Maybe a pair of Syracuse highs or lows or a pair of True Red/Vamps lows, but neither really fit me anymore. I want more shoes like the AF1s I posted, with that high end feel to them but they're still sneakers.

bnLOXFW.jpg

Got a baby coming in April and the kid's realistically only going to be able to wear these in about a year. But come on, what sneakerhead dad could resist these?

HAHA Oh man, my wife surprised me with these on Christmas...

DSC09230_zpsc0dad2fe.jpg

Baby pair of 12's! We are also expecting our first in July, and my wife knows what's I'd love to share with him/her. I plan to pick up a matching pair ^_^

shira

This thread is the most vital thread right now.

So I fucking love sneakers. I have a few pairs - something like 25 right now. I used to have a lot more, but some of them I let my brother hold, and others I threw out a few years ago. Let me start with the following:

FUCK RESELLERS.

Let me also state that the only legit sneakerheads are those that actually wear their kicks. If you buy them just to stock them or to look at...wacksauce, man.

This doesn't even make sense. The people that are getting fucked most are the factory workers. Glue fumes and shit wages.

Nike-Factory.jpg

nikefactoryVietnam.jpg

Pennies a day so you can pretend you look like a pro athlete or a hipster.
Honestly wtf is the difference if you pay $300 on on a MSRP $150 shoe when it costs next to nothing to make.

You aren't a sneakerhead, you just wasting your money on shoes you can't even wear. Legit sneakerhead or not, nobody really cares except other "legit" sneakerheads.

Good luck with that Imelda.

I like shoes, I really do, but whenever I see people with giant collections it just boggles me.

Why not? People buy clothes every year. What's wrong with doing it with shoes?
Besides there are some that are collectable & are a one time & they're gone thing, if you don't buy them when they come out.
It's not like specific Air Jordans are produced every year like Air Force 1s or Converse chuck taylors.

This doesn't even make sense. The people that are getting fucked most are the factory workers. Glue fumes and shit wages.

Nike-Factory.jpg

nikefactoryVietnam.jpg

Pennies a day so you can pretend you look like a pro athlete or a hipster.
Honestly wtf is the difference if you pay $300 on on a MSRP $150 shoe when it costs next to nothing to make.

You aren't a sneakerhead, you just wasting your money on shoes you can't even wear. Legit sneakerhead or not, nobody really cares except other "legit" sneakerheads.

Good luck with that Imelda.

You're about 25 years late to the party on that pal.

The uproar in the early '90s when people found out Nike was using practically slave labor was the biggest chance for these companies to stop practicing that.
Nike rode it out with constant PR, moderate improvements in worker conditions & the general media & consumers not really giving a shit.

No sneakerhead cares about where their shoes were made, either in a sweatshop in Taiwan, Korea, Vietnam, China or cheap underpaid labor in Mexico.

ryuen

can i post a legit check lol?

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/clo/3577887768.html

supposed to meet tonight.

also, my gf is making me a pair of NikeID Free Run +3s for valentine's day. can't wait.

Looks like my pair, I'd say legit; the fact that it has that extra sticker on the lid of the box confirms that they purchased it either at Footlocker/Champs/Eastbay. If your paranoid, check the inside tag and make sure the numbers match the numbers on the label.

Top Bottom