• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Play Preview

ziran

-Mvfo3yailY3USXTI6S4uQXCj-Iyf4i1.jpg

Wii Play - Nintendo Europe's Page
Wii Play - Nintendo Japan's Site
Nintendo Europe - Press Release
C&VG - Preview
C&VG - Screens
Famitsu - Preview

Developed by EAD and produced by Katsuya Eguchi (Wii Sports, Animal Crossing Wild Word)

Overview:
In Wii Play, the star of the game is you! Create your own personal Mii character with the Wii console's built-in Mii Channel and then play as yourself in this compilation of nine simple, fun games like target shooting, table tennis and fishing.

Wii Play comes bundled with a free Wii Remote, so a friend can instantly join in the action in any of the included games. You can play at home or save your Mii on your Wii Remote and play with it on a friend's console, or use any of the six ready-made guest characters.

•Includes free Wii Remote
•Features nine different games, all playable by one or two players
•Each player can create a Mii character and use it as their in-game persona
•Save your Mii on your Wii Remote and use it on a friend's console
•Compete with friends to earn high scores and earn bronze, silver and gold medals

Wii Play Images (thanks to PantherLotus for the Wii Screen Shot Thread and plagiarize for summarising them):
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Menu
Wii Play's nine different games are the perfect introduction to what the Wii Remote can do.

menusci2.jpg

Shooting Range
A modern version of the Nintendo classic Duck Hunt. Shoot the targets on the screen simply by aiming your Wii Remote.
Gameplay Footage

shootingsku1.jpg

Find Mii
Can you spot a face in the crowd? Use your Wii Remote to point out the correct Mii characters as quickly as you can.

findmiisqi4.jpg

Table Tennis
How long can you ping pong? Use your Wii Remote like a paddle to bat the ball and try to beat the computer or human opponent.
Gameplay Footage

tabletennissuh5.jpg

Pose Mii
Twist the Wii Remote to rotate the Mii characters and quickly slot them into the correct positions as they fall down the screen.
Gameplay Footage

posemiisez8.jpg

Laser Hockey
Tilt and turn the Wii Remote to bash the puck into the opponent's goal, in this high-speed arcade-style game.
Gameplay Footage

laserhockeysqy6.jpg

Billiards
In this version of Nine Ball, aim the Wii Remote at the screen to line up your shot, then pull back and push forward to strike the ball.

billiardssjb0.jpg

Fishing
Move the Wii Remote like a rod: dip the hook in the water, wait for the fish to bite (the controller will rumble) and pull back hard to land it!

fishingsno6.jpg

Charge!
Take the bull by the horns! Steer your wild steer by holding the Wii Remote sideways, as if gripping reins, and topple scarecrows to score points

chargeswd1.jpg

Tanks
Take control of a tank with the Wii Remote; aim the cannon, bounce shells off walls, and blast your opponent to bits! (Nunchuck + Remote)
Gameplay Clip (5mins 30secs into footage) (thanks to dannie)

tankssls6.jpg

If anyone can post links to games without gameplay footage, thanks in advance.

Tiktaalik

How is it that Miis are worse graphically than your character in Animal Crossing? I love the Mii concept, but from the screen shots that Nintendo has given out it seems like there has been extremely little effort put into the software. I don't just mean in terms of number of polygons, I mean in terms of style and what you can do with the Miis. Maybe you'll be able to do this later, but having a wide variety of clothes and accessories would be pretty nice, as well as more imaginative faces. I'd like to be able to have my Mii as crazily decked out as my character in Animal Crossing and I haven't seen anything like that yet.

Well, actually Miis have more variety than an Animal Crossing avatar, in terms of being able to create one. The amount of different choices you have for the face, hair, color, etc far outnumber an Animal Crossing person. I'm assuming Nintendo will be smart (hopefully) and send more costumes and hats and shit like that through WiiConnect24. In fact, I'll willingly bet that your Animal Crossing Wii character will be a Mii.

Branduil said:
Why has this still not been announced for America?

Can't say i understand this either. It would seem like something good for December or so, especially if it comes with an extra remote.

Tiktaalik

BrandNew said:
I'm assuming Nintendo will be smart (hopefully) and send more costumes and hats and shit like that through WiiConnect24. In fact, I'll willingly bet that your Animal Crossing Wii character will be a Mii.

I certainly hope you're right, because right now, even if there are technically more options when creating your Mii, they still look very plain and boring.

dannie

Zaxxon said:
How is it that Miis are worse graphically than your character in Animal Crossing? I love the Mii concept, but from the screen shots that Nintendo has given out it seems like there has been extremely little effort put into the software. I don't just mean in terms of number of polygons, I mean in terms of style and what you can do with the Miis. Maybe you'll be able to do this later, but having a wide variety of clothes and accessories would be pretty nice, as well as more imaginative faces. I'd like to be able to have my Mii as crazily decked out as my character in Animal Crossing and I haven't seen anything like that yet.
this interview have talking about~~
http://ms.nintendo-europe.com/wii/?site=v4_02.html&expand=4&l=enGB

Mii idea is from Kokeshi~ (idea from Shigeru Miyamoto)

kokeshi are traditional wooden Japanese dolls. They are cylindrically-shaped, with no arms or legs.

This game might appeal the non-traditional crowd, or to a very young audience. It's hard for me to see how this will be fun for veteran gamers.

ziran

Mason said:
So is it going to be priced at $49.99? If so and it comes with a remote, that's awesome.
John Harker said:
Ill just get it out of the way:

NA release date?
it's being released at launch in the europe, on dec 8th and it's at launch in japan. the uk rrp is £39.99, which is standard, amazon has it for £32.99. so if it comes out in na, which i think it will but it doesn't have a release date yet, i think it will be $49.99.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
perryfarrell said:
This game might appeal the non-traditional crowd, or to a very young audience. It's hard for me to see how this will be fun for veteran gamers.

Duck Hunt, dude.

Duck Hunt.

so1337

It's really obvious that Wii Play is nothing else than a compilation of tech demos, just look at how different they are. I like it though. Seems to be lots of fun.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
****.. that "Ping Pong" better not be the only Ping Pong on the Wii... It's so basic and simple.

I'm sure it'll be fun, but I want a full fledge simulation ping pong with forehands and backhands, and spins, drop shots... the whole works. Someone better develop one for the Wii.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
perryfarrell said:

because it comes with a free wiimote and it has games your friends might actually vaguely give a shit about playing with you.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
will be needing another controller anyway.....

Amir0x

Banned
This, and the '5000 point pack that comes classic controller' need to come to the US. I don't care to support this one, really... not my type of game... but somehow, it feels slightly less rip-offish to pay 10 dollars for duck hunt to go along with my $40 wiimote.

Peru

I really don't want these games. I mean, I want wario ware, I want smb minigames, hell I want Wii Sports - but these games have no appeal. But I guess, with a controller, maybe..

Amir0x

Banned
imo, the Duck Hunt-ish game on here has more appeal than all of WiiSports put together... but that's just me. Actually, I wish they would have built-in that little game onto the flash memory.

RaidenZR

Amir0x said:
imo, the Duck Hunt-ish game on here has more appeal than all of WiiSports put together... but that's just me. Actually, I wish they would have built-in that little game onto the flash memory.

The Air Hockey-ish game looked pretty rad, in my opinion. I love the neon boundaries and paddles.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I'm buying 3 wiimotes at launch, I don't need another one. Other than that, this looks fire

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I want Duck Hunt and air hockey DAMNIT!!!

Man...I feel like a european at the moment. One of the games that has something I really want, hasn't even shown signs of being released here. T_T

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I am telling you guys, Nintendo of America is going to screw us out of this game!!! We should get it launch or December... YOU BETTER FING DO IT NOA.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Zaxxon said:

You should have known by now. They haven't put that much into graphics in a long time. The Wii isn't about pixel shading, it's about fun shading.

Aurora

A few of those games seem like great multiplayer fun, the rest looks like filler TBH. Having said that, the fact that it comes with a wiimote guarantees purchase from me.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
"Duck Hunt" looks fun and relatively varied. Shame it's not 4P

"Pose Mii" could be fun if it includes the stuff we saw at E3 - sort of level-type stuff where you and a friend compete against each other to collect coins etc.

"Billiards" will be good.

And the rest doesn't look very appealing

These actually appeal to me--great for some quick play sessions while I'm waiting around or whatever. I wouldn't play any of these for more than 15-20 minutes a time, but if NOA sells this plus an extra controller for $50, I'm sold.

Lo-Volt

It seems inviting, and with an extra remote at least, it seems like it's priced more fairly than some other Wii accessories. It should come to America.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
I am telling you guys, Nintendo of America is going to screw us out of this game!!! We should get it launch or December... YOU BETTER FING DO IT NOA.

Maybe you guys will get it in March. That's how long PAL has to wait for Excite Truck. And I'd much rather have that at launch than this. :(

gururoji

I thought the laser hockey thing looked awesome in action...and the tanks game has a lot of potential (anyone remember Triple Action on Intellivision? I used to play the tanks and the biplanes for-freakin'-ever)...

Amir0x said:
This, and the '5000 point pack that comes classic controller' need to come to the US. I don't care to support this one, really... not my type of game... but somehow, it feels slightly less rip-offish to pay 10 dollars for duck hunt to go along with my $40 wiimote.

When I preordered a Wii at EB, the dude said that that VC point card + classic controller thing WAS happening in the US. Any other EB/Gamestop employess here that can vouch for it?

MegaByte

CarlosX360 said:
Has anyone thought that mabye its a localization thing?

What do you mean localization thing? I played all of the games at Nintendo Fusion Tour and the little text there actually is is already in English. The screenshots in this thread appear to have come from that build (the same 2 games missing). I just want to know what happened to the Kururin-based game.

They're probably not going to bring this to the Americas because a couple of 3rd parties (Sega and someone else) have all ready expressed disappointment in Nintendo for having a pack-in game. They say it will hurt 3rd party sales at launch (which is probably kind of true).

Anyway, if Nintendo of America offers another "free" game with the Wiimote, then they could piss these 3rd parties off even more.
I know that Wii Play isn't much of a game really, but to the casual gamer or parent shopping for someone else, this looks good on paper:

Wii with a game - 250 bucks
Wii controller with a game - 50 bucks
... then they're done shopping. They've bought a new video game system, two controllers, and two games, all for 300 bucks.

So, I think it's the potential 3rd party backlash that could keep Wii Play far away from the North American Wii launch.

ziran

i think wii play is going to be a worldwide thing, may take until march to come to na, but i can't see why it wouldn't be released. from what has been said about the game it was designed to make the purchase of an additional remote more appealing.

MegaByte said:
What do you mean localization thing? I played all of the games at Nintendo Fusion Tour and the little text there actually is is already in English. The screenshots in this thread appear to have come from that build (the same 2 games missing). I just want to know what happened to the Kururin-based game.
yeah, the wii pointer demo from e3 is absent. i think it will still be coming out in another guise, maybe wii play 2, which again could be bundled with a wiimote. nintendo may be setting up the option to buy all additional remotes in game bundles.

there's a good video of the obstacle course demo from e3 at ign with some pics:
http://media.wii.ign.com/media/827/827423/vids_1.html
http://media.wii.ign.com/media/827/827423/imgs_1.html

I just wish some of these mini-games became deep, full-fledged games on their own. A detailed billiards game on Wii would be awesome.

Model 500

perryfarrell said:

Try harder then.

Laser Hockey alone does it for me, launch get.

Pool looked great in that GameSpot vid and Shooting Gallery should be good fun with friends.

«þ»

Table Tennis looks like fun... I wonder if the game automatically moves you.

In Australia, I think its only $80 AUD for Wii-Play + Wiimote so it sounds like a good deal, considering the Wiimote is already $70

«þ» said:
Table Tennis looks like fun... I wonder if the game automatically moves you.

In Australia, I think its only $80 AUD for Wii-Play + Wiimote so it sounds like a good deal, considering the Wiimote is already $70

I was under the impression that in table tennis you actually don't swing to hit the ball, instead you move the paddle to where the ball is heading, and the paddle will hit the ball automatically.

«þ»

Alkaliine said:
I was under the impression that in table tennis you actually don't swing to hit the ball, instead you move the paddle to where the ball is heading, and the paddle will hit the ball automatically.

Actually you're probably right.

It would be awesome being able to controlling the power and intensity of the shots though.

Top Bottom