• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuhei Yoshida apologises for "atrocious" gamescom stream camera work

$h@d0w

http://twitter.com/yosp/status/370576969751994368

@yosp: leaving Cologne for Tokyo, it was a lot of fun, thank you all (and sorry for the atrocious camera work in the stream)

a6PtDLH.gif

Giant Bomb: http://youtu.be/_f3mngsOoIQ?t=22m15s

Sorry Jim :)

LiK

Didn't think this would get it's own thread. But yea, it was fucking horrible. Hope they dumped that director or just never hire them again.

Nokterian

Most annoying Camera switching ever. Who fucking cares about seeing the stage during a trailer? :/

Not only that even during gameplay from a bunch of games. Keep the camera on the games when showing not in weird angles and the guy playing.

$h@d0w

Can someone make a gif of like 15 second of the youtube link please? Brad cracking up was hilarious.

Edit: ^^^ YES

This same crap happened at the past few E3s too, especially the most recent one. I'm surprised it happened again at Gamescom, and I'd even say this camerawork was probably the worst so far for a game press conference. Hell, I've seen shaky audience camera footage that provided a clearer picture of the action that was going on. Hopefully it's fixed for future shows, good to see they're aware of it finally.

It really messed up the experience for me. I said to myself after every trailer that I would have to wait until they uploaded a direct capture somewhere to understand what the hell was going on.

nib95

Banned
It really was awful. So many points I was like, back to the game, back to the game!! And instead it would be a crowd shot...

It's always like this for every show in every conference from every publisher. EA, Microsoft, Sony, Ubi, E3, Gamescom, you name it, the camera work on the stream was shit on it.

You don't need more than one 5-second shot confirming that the game is being played live. Just once. I don't want the same shot every 20 seconds obscuring the actual game. It's mind boggling that this is industry standard and nobody's doing anything about it.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Most annoying Camera switching ever. Who fucking cares about seeing the stage during a trailer? :/
It reminded me of the camerawork during the first couple of years G4 broadcasted the E3 press conferences circa 2007.

Can we get that cameraman fired next pls

Like other people have said, not the fault of the cameraman. Director should've known better.

Also, they should've had more cameras. Not sure why dude was trying to rack focus right at the start of the damn conference, though. Did he screw it up that badly?

Can someone make a gif of like 15 second of the youtube link please? Brad cracking up was hilarious.

Edit: ^^^ YES

I almost died of laughter when I saw this. Vinny picking it up on it first was just gold.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It really was awful. So many points I was like, back to the game, back to the game!! And instead it would be a crowd shot...
It sometimes seemed like they made a point of pulling away for gameplay footage. The Killzone MP trailer was only focused on the footage for text and the crowd for actual gameplay.

It's always like this for every show in every conference from every publisher. EA, Microsoft, Sony, Ubi, E3, Gamescom, you name it, the camera work on the stream was shit on it.

You don't need more than one 5-second shot confirming that the game is being played live. Just once. I don't want the same shot every 20 seconds obscuring the actual game. It's mind boggling that this is industry standard and nobody's doing anything about it.
HMM? WHAT'S THAT?

OH YOU WANT 30 MORE SECONDS OF FOOTAGE OF THE AUDIENCE WATCHING THE GAME BEING PLAYED, MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE TO SEE THE FOOTAGE OF THE GAME ON STREAM? RIGHT ON IT.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
When they do these things the minute it cuts to a video on the screen it should be directly in the feed.

It's so simple and it very frustrating watching it cut away time and time again.

No fault to cameramen, except at the end of the Aveline part of AC4 the camera just kept going back and back. lol

Really though whoever was flipping the switches between cameras should have been dragged out of the booth 10 minutes in and told to piss off. Nearly anyone could have done a better job then that person.

Camera to person on stage

Direct feed

Back to person now talking

Direct feed

Person announcing stuff

Direct Feed

What about his or her awful zooming?

EDIT: As shown in the GIF above!

That's not something the cameraman decides to do on his own. It was the director that told him to zoom in some more, to cut to the audience feed, etc. Furthermore, he should have cut away when the zooming was being done.

Venfayth

The director was awful, the camera guy who did the zooms and fades was awful. I don't know how anyone can defend any part of that production.

The show director was fucking drunk.
Had to be.

Director: "Ok... zoom out."
Director: "Stay zoomed."
Director: "Zoom in. FAST!"
Director: "CLOSE UP!"
Director: "Zoom out; pan the back of the audience."
Director: "Ok, now pan back over the audience."
Director: "Zoom in... NO WAIT."

Glad he acknowledged this. How frustrating was it that they kept pulling out to show a shot of the audience every ten seconds? So fucking dumb. Don't fire the cameraman, fire the director.

Top Bottom