• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita TV Already Sold Out on Amazon Japan

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
vitatvsoldout2.jpg

Yesterday Sony Computer Entertainment surprised pretty much everyone by announcing the PlayStation Vita TV, that was almost immediately available for preorder in Japan. How did Japanese gamers react? Looks like they bought it in droves.

At the moment the Vita-powered microconsole is already sold out on Amazon Japan in both its incarnations (stand alone and value pack including a DualShock 3 controller and an 8 GB memory card).

Below you can check out a screencap of both offerings. If the initial impression is to be believed, looks like Sony has a winner here, at least in Japan. We’ll have to wait to see what the reaction in the west will be.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/09/10/playstation-vita-tv-already-sold-out-on-amazon-japan/

We don't know the amount of supply. For all we know Sony could have made only 5,000 units...

maybe if it was high priced premium product, I thought cheap hardware like this only make money back in large quanitites, I can't believe Sony only have so little supply prepared, it's not like making this is hard, they probably have a lot of unsold Vita just lying there in their warehouse...

edit: beaten so hard with the unsold vita joke :(

Abriael

Banned
Nope, this is a console not a handheld :p so vita is Unsaved ;O

Actually if the PS Vita TV will sell well, it'll have a beneficial effect on the handheld as well.

They play the same games. A bigger installed base means more incentive for developers to develop for both -> Vita "saved"

Not that it needed saving, mind you.

Dragon

Banned
We don't know the amount of supply. For all we know Sony could have made only 5,000 units...

For all we know Sony made a billion units, they all sold out and now Japan is sinking into the Pacific Ocean under the weight of a billion PS Vita TVs.

Finalizer

How dare you use logic and reason. Sony already won the next generation and it hasn't even started yet.

It could at least be a sign it's doing better than Sony's expectations.

But you know what, you're right. I also hope the TVita fails. It needs to do badly, so Sony can be put in their place for ever making such a dreadful device. Please, God, please make the TVita fail! ;_;

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Actually if the PS Vita TV will sell well, it'll have a beneficial effect on the handheld as well.

They play the same games. A bigger installed base means more incentive for developers to develop for both -> Vita "saved"

And the PS4. Sony have the best strategy I've seen ... well, ever. And I agree, the Vita doesn't need saving and I know a lot of Gaffers agree with that.

maybe if it was high priced premium product, I thought cheap hardware like this only make money back in large quanitites, I can't believe Sony only have so little supply prepared, it's not like making this is hard, they probably have a lot of unsold Vita just lying there in their warehouse...

edit: beaten so hard with the unsold vita joke :(

Sony can recall the unsold Vitas from other territories and just repackage it all into PSVita TV.

Mr Swine

Banned

Oh I know, but I fear that Vita TV will simply outsell Vita several times (10x20 times) more during the same time frame

the real test is western market, we need this to sell well in western market so badly, it's the only chance we got to see those vita japanese games get localized.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Interesting considering that on the sony store they still have units available for order.

Oh I know, but I fear that Vita TV will simply outsell Vita several times (10x20 times) more during the same time frame

That would be the best thing to happen in this industry in a while. If Vita TV even sells as much as Vita while the Vita is around 10k, sometimes less sometimes more, it already is a big boon for the future support since the pricecut effect has faded in Japan. Even better if it sells even more.

Foshy

Doesn't matter for Sony. A Vita TV sale is like a regular Vita sale for them.

That would be like saying that the 3DSXL selling more than the original model is bad for the 3DS.

Either some people here are stupid or just not understanding what this box is.

Guys, the more this sells, the better for Vita (that's both handheld and box for people not understanding somehow) in the long run. Market penetration. More devs. More games.

B.O.O.M

That's not a bad thing. As drastic of a difference this product is compared to a regular vita..it's still a vita. Sony basically found a way to make it cheaper, compliment the PS4 functionalities and also serve as a type of set up box for tv etc.

To me this is also a vita. More sales of this = more software sales = Good for everyone

Abriael

Banned
Interesting considering that on the sony store they still have units available for order.

Not surprising. Sony can just raise its own allowance for preorders if they exceed expectations (to a point). Amazon needs to request it to Sony before they can.

maybe sony intentions are what everyone is saying? kill off vita and go for another market, i can see this succeeding pretty well, if you look at it , gaiki will only make it easier for sony.

Top Bottom