• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 12: The Show |OT| Elevated levels of testosterone included

Some of the same things frustrate me in RTTS that frustrated me two years ago. For me, the stealing glitch or bug or weird thing that seems to only happen to me, where my manager chews me out for trying to steal, even though I never do. I even hold "lefT" back towards the base. I have 2 steal attempts all season, both of which were hit and runs where the batter just whiffed on the pitch, never thrown out on pickoffs, I don't even steal on easy wild pitches.

But, the other weird thing is.. the typical nonsense emails you get. Just got an email "Under par," "on talent alone, you're good enough to get to the next stage in your career but your poor statistical performance prevents us from moving you up..." I'm leading AA in average (.333 with 2 weeks left in the season, hitting over .400 for a month; leading AA in doubles, 4th in hits). The only thing I can think of is that I was just 3/4 for goals this period, because coach wanted 2 homeruns, but I have warning track power so hitting home runs is very rare (I have two all season).

But, the manager chewing me out for stealing is a bigger complaint. Nobody else has seen this? In 2010, it was a major gripe for a lot of people on OS, but I haven't read that forum regularly in a while.

Some of the same things frustrate me in RTTS that frustrated me two years ago. For me, the stealing glitch or bug or weird thing that seems to only happen to me, where my manager chews me out for trying to steal, even though I never do. I even hold "lefT" back towards the base. I have 2 steal attempts all season, both of which were hit and runs where the batter just whiffed on the pitch, never thrown out on pickoffs, I don't even steal on easy wild pitches.

But, the other weird thing is.. the typical nonsense emails you get. Just got an email "Under par," "on talent alone, you're good enough to get to the next stage in your career but your poor statistical performance prevents us from moving you up..." I'm leading AA in average (.333 with 2 weeks left in the season, hitting over .400 for a month; leading AA in doubles, 4th in hits). The only thing I can think of is that I was just 3/4 for goals this period, because coach wanted 2 homeruns, but I have warning track power so hitting home runs is very rare (I have two all season).

But, the manager chewing me out for stealing is a bigger complaint. Nobody else has seen this? In 2010, it was a major gripe for a lot of people on OS, but I haven't read that forum regularly in a while.

If you mean that you get punished for stealing despite not doing anything off your lead off until the ball is hit - that is odd. I've never had that happen.

It's weird, I had it pretty often in 2010, and others complained about it that year. And then, this year, I figured that issue had been fixed... but like every once in a while, I'll get a threatening email from my manager totally freaking out. Like once every few months. The last time, he said he'd demote me, which he did -- my role became a AA Bench -- but I still started every game at 3B.

It's bizarre.

Anybody got any tips for me....this is my first baseball game in a very long time. Im talking a long time, I think my last game was Ken Griffey's Winning Run.

Be patient and start on an easy difficulty. Don't think that you're a man and can play on a hard difficulty starting off. I'd begin on something like Rookie or the 2nd one, maybe the second one with very tweaked sliders (sliders are like gameplay sliders that change elements of the gameplay to make it easier, harder, or more true to life depending on how you play the game).

Just be patient with the batting, which is difficult. Try to get ahead in the count. If you want to enjoy batting, you have to learn to take pitches, even taking strikes. I take a lot of first pitch strikes even if they're right down the gun, just because I think it sets me up better later on.

krpiper

So I played the show 09 on my psp a ton. I plan on getting a vita this week. Is this worth picking up? To finally make that jump? I usually play RTTS

My review of the PS3 version is up- giving it a 4.5/5

I do have the Vita version as well and didn't review it. I will say I am pretty disappointed with the handheld version.
- Feels like the commentary is half of what the PS3 version offers
- Slowdown in replay and presentation scenes
- No Diamond Dynasty mode.
- The stadium and fan visuals are disgustingly terrible

I think I was just disappointed on the technical standpoint, the overall gameplay isn't bad. Hopefully next season they can make better use of the Vita's power.

S1lent

Any impressions on the online play? The thread over at operation sports seems to have alot of the same old gripes regarding lag...

Bog

Junior Ace
I admit it, I just don't understand how to pitch. If I attempt to work the corners or purposely throw outside, they don't swing. Once I come inside, I get torched.

Any impressions on the online play? The thread over at operation sports seems to have alot of the same old gripes regarding lag...

It amazes me they can't get this working better. We've got all these other online games with 16 people running around a Call of Duty map shooting each other, and they can't get a 1 v 1 baseball game running smoothly.

I'd like to see that exact question posed to the developer just once.

I admit it, I just don't understand how to pitch. If I attempt to work the corners or purposely throw outside, they don't swing. Once I come inside, I get torched.

Know the batter, peek at his hot and cold zone, check his plate vision and his discipline, more importantly listen to the commentary they sometimes give you a scouting report on the batter. Then set up your pitches fastball after fastball changing eye level, mix in a change up. Get ahead in the count 0-2, if you have a pitcher with a good slider set him up to swing, he will chase the pitch in order to extend the at bat.

Press Select to view batter/pitcher scouting or press left on the D-pad for a quick view of the batter/pitcher match up. A drop down scout window will display. Contact Power Plate Vision, for the batter and info about the pitcher as well.

Very important if you didn't know where you point or target your pitch is just the "BREAK POINT", learn how many inches if any the pitch break.

IS there a way to see what your "plate appearances vs. team games played" is? You don't qualify for the League Leaders batting average statistic without a 3.1 plate appearances per team games played... but I swear I should be on this list, as I have more at bats than many of the top guys. I was benched early, in May or June, for like 3 weeks, but I still spot started during that time, and I can't believe it's been holding me out of this 3.1 ratio for so long.

I was traded mid-season could that have something to do with it?

Personal Games played: 101
Plate appearances: 378

*edit*

Nevermind... Texas League teams play 140 games. I am 9 games from the end of the season, so, 378 / 131 = 2.88. Looks like even if I start/play every game to finish the season, I can't make that list. Bummer. I'm at 2.88 right now, I'd end up at like 2.98 if I got 4 AB's a game for, let's say, 8 out of the last 9 games. Seems like a high watermark, basically, if you miss 2 - 3 weeks of games (say, injured list?) you're off of the chances for league leaders at AVG? Is that the MLB rule? It's too bad because I've been on an absolute tear for 2 months, and I'm batting .348 now at the end of the season, which is almost the best in all basement, except for one guy in AAA who is batting .360.

Although I just discovered how many stats they have... that's incredible.

Although... I hate my freaking manager. On an 8 game hitting streak, he brings me in as a pinch runner in the 9th when we're up 4 - 1... And I don't score, game ends, and that breaks up my hitting streak because I didn't get a hit, even though I also didn't get an AB.

Question: is there a way in RTTS baserunning to "stop" your guy, instead of running to or from a base? The in game manual says to just not press anything.. "release L but find the guy still runs to the base he's going to? I dunno maybe I'm crazy.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Awesome RTTS info.. a few more days for my copy to get to me.. but still want franchise tidbits if anyone has played..

RoylAsult

might seem like a dumb question but how to do you make your player better in RRTS? ive been using the training point and doing some of the training days but i dont really see a big improvement over my played. I started my second season and im now in AAA. how long does it take to get to the pros?

turnbuckle

Why does CC not have a curveball in this game? Or am I imagining things?

Don't think he's ever had a curve in the Show, or at least not in the past few years. Haven't played with him in 2012 yet, but sinker/slider/fastball/changeup I believe is the extent of his repertoire in the Show. If you look at his pitchFX data that's pretty much the arsenal he uses. (0% curves thrown in 2010, .8% in 2011).

Are you imagining that he regularly throws a curve in real life or is this another indication that the Show is more accurate than 2K?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I watch the Yankees a lot and I've always thought he had a curveball. But yeah, he's always had one in 2K lol

think he throws a slider...

CC is basically Randy Johnson

This is a funny game. A guy can go 4-0 with a 1.29 ERA through six starts, then fall off a cliff, and eventually be sitting at 5-7 with a 5.12 ERA. And the oposite is equally true. Seen it happen a dozen times, and without fucking with sliders or settings I mean.

My basic approach with this game for the past few years has been to keep things relatively easy, allowing for that 12-2 start with a team ERA of 1.86 should it happen, with the expectation that I'm still going to lose 60+ games and end up with a team ERA 3.80 or higher. Sure enough, that 5- or 8-game losing streak always comes. Always.

Case in point, I'm 19-11 right now after a 8-1 start. [Edit: Actually, 17-11!]

Another case in point, Prince Fielder had 14 home runs after 12 games, more than enough to make me think about fucking with sliders. He sits at 15 right now after 30 games - and I didn't fuck with the sliders.

I could go on. The point is, again, keep things nice and easy, then play out an actual full season and watch shit get crazy. I've had .300 career hitters licking floor at .167 after 60 games. Dude like Justin Verlander at 1-4 with a 6+ ERA out of the gate. If I didn't have the settings nice and easy, shit like that would be insurmountable.

might seem like a dumb question but how to do you make your player better in RRTS? ive been using the training point and doing some of the training days but i dont really see a big improvement over my played. I started my second season and im now in AAA. how long does it take to get to the pros?

Your player will get better progressively. So, I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I had a great first AA season, I was traded midway through, but hit really well to close out the year, hitting .349 by the end, and managed to belt 5 HR's, even though up until July or August I only had 1 HR. I'm stingy with my points, always keeping 400 XP in the tank incase I go into a slump and need it for a goal advancement, but even so, I was able to move my contact L/R up into the mid-60s, power into the 50s, discipline, vision, and durability all in the low 50s, with my defense in the high 40s (I find defense to be less important early on, and you're really only strongly rewarded for good at bats, so I only really increased my defense when I had to).

So, second year, I began it in AAA, I was not asked to join Spring Training, and after my first goal period, the MLB team bought out my contract, so I'm a bench 3B in MLB... But I don't think that this will last long.

My player isn't a star, but my contacts are both in the high 60s, power still in the mid 50s, and I think that's pretty serviceable for a bench rookie... It's comparable to the best rookies in the game.

Hitting with Contact has granted me lines drives and HR's. Hitting with Power, Short routine flyballs. LOL

If you try to kill the ball then you have to be almost spot on with your PCI, I crushed one over 400 feet with Uggla last night after Axford decided it was a good idea to pitch a fastball belt high and inside.

I've been in "MOVE" training mode for the past few days. Just practicing all of the batting and pitching options, mostly batting. Gearing up for my "MOVE" debut into RTTS. I'm gunning for full immersion "MOVE" check , "3D" check, Custom Sounds(walkup/chants/hits ect) check, full on NERD check(but so what U MAD?).

I have found that sweet spot with Batting with the MOVE. I've been using a pro with poor plate vision and a small PCI amongst other less than stellar attributes. In the beginning I was struggling hitting Late to Very Late on 80% of pitches, a little lag not much and when I say little I mean very little lag, but enough to be behind 90MPH pitches. So I had to get used to the little lag and swing just a little bit earlier. Now that I have gotten the hang of it I love it.

Pitching, is tough period. Watching that freaking meter for power(little red arrow) managing that and knowing how to generate speed and releasing the trigger at the accuracy border is one of the hardest things I have ever had to get use to. I'm better but still a work in progress will continue to practice.

Fielding with the trigger and timing with the green circle is tough(many errors) but I'm getting better, and can't wait to take the field in RTTS.

Playing with the MOVE early on is frustrating, but with time and practice it actually feels good to get a key hit, catch and throw a ball for an out, generating all that torque on a Sacrifice fly whether offense or defense has a since of accomplishment. These two features for MOVE are rewarding. Pitching on the other hand makes you wanna slap your mother and Dr. Marks early on ball after ball missing your spots will make you want too give up 7 pitches in, but for me I'm about 500 pitches in and I'm still sort of a "WILD THING".

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Welp online play so far for me this year has been awful. Never had a problem before. I have like 2/3 losses cause of the game just freezing and I have to reset my PS3.

Never ever had any problems online with Show when others would complain over the years. Don't get it at all :\

Played my first game with my Vita copy. Won 2-1 as Atlanta playing against Miami. Game looks fine except for the framerate drops, which kinda suck.

Oh, and is the left analog stick way sensitive for pitching or am I crazy?

demolitio

MLB 12 must be the most realistic game ever...Demolitio, the starting RF for the Indians' AAA team ended up getting hurt on a single up the middle. To my surprise, when I get out of the game, it tells me my injury is lower back pain and I'll need to go to rehab...WTF?

Why is that realistic? Because in real life, I have two torn discs in my lower back (just a small portion of the problems though) and I'm in physical therapy for the lower back all this month. So the game is so realistic, it recognized my real name and plagued my character with my real life problems.

This is part of Skynet...

MLB 12 must be the most realistic game ever...Demolitio, the starting RF for the Indians' AAA team ended up getting hurt on a single up the middle. To my surprise, when I get out of the game, it tells me my injury is lower back pain and I'll need to go to rehab...WTF?

Why is that realistic? Because in real life, I have two torn discs in my lower back (just a small portion of the problems though) and I'm in physical therapy for the lower back all this month. So the game is so realistic, it recognized my real name and plagued my character with my real life problems.

This is part of Skynet...
IZ SO REEAAAALLLLL

Hello...

For those who don't know me I am The Frankman, a longtime player of great MLB games and micro-manager of all things MLB: The Show since David Wright graced the cover. I and other longtime OT MLB-GAFfers invite you to the first ever 30 for 30 MLB: The Show League Initiative. That is, the MLB 12: The Show GAF League is looking to fill every vacancy in our league with a member of OT MLB-GAF thread, where we shoot the breeze and talk all things baseball.

I see alot of new baseball fans who weren't around last year. This is our 4th season running the GAF League (and like 15th attempt :jakncoke) and last year I stressed a belief that I plan to execute this year: to have 30 teams filled by 30 GAFfers. That feat has never been successfully done before on GAF, and I am looking for passionate baseball fans who would like to join our league.

That's right, I said FANS. If you love talking baseball and following your team with other fans come to the MLB Offseason Thread and talk about your hopes of your team making the playoffs. Or if you're a Mets fan like me, talk about why God is punishing you every day. Even if you're not interested in joining the League, MLB-GAF is always looking for new fans.

But if you ARE interested in being part of the 30 for 30 MLB: The Show League Initiative click the link below:

The link to the League thread is here. Mention that The Frankman sent ya!

demolitio

I'd do a league in a heartbeat although I'm worried about lag too much right now. Maybe I'll play a few more matches online and see if it's stable enough this year.

I'd do a league in a heartbeat although I'm worried about lag too much right now. Maybe I'll play a few more matches online and see if it's stable enough this year.
Definitely, it's been my experience to wait 3 weeks after the game comes out before I buy it since the patches have to be made/online has to be tweaked/Knight165's OSFM Full Minors roster has to be completed. I figure I'll buy the game in about another week or so, and Knight165's roster will be out shortly after Opening Day. Since the league will use those rosters It'll be awhile before we start, but we may run a test league to determine settings and sliders.

Anyone else having trouble connecting online at all? I'm just trying to upload my save to the cloud, and I can't stay connected for more than two seconds.

My PS3 is logged into PSN perfectly fine, and it's about five feet from the router, so...

Just picked up both versions to get the $20 discount.. The Vita version is ugly as shit. Horrible textures, frame rate issues, aliasing... It generally looks half assed. I thought the Vita was supposed to have almost PS3-level graphics. If this game is any indicator, the graphic power of the Vita is hardly as much of an improvement over the PSP as it has been hyped up to be.

Top Bottom