• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: Thinking about DLC (extra maps, missions) for Pikmin 3

In an interview published today with Itoi (yes, that one), Iwata, and Miyamoto, the series creator let slip the team is thinking about adding additional content for the game.

"So, using the internet [the team] thinks it'd like to add new missions and maps to the game little by little."

だから、これからネットをつかって
あたらしいミッションやマップを
少しずつ足していこうかと思ってます

The interview: http://www.1101.com/nintendo/pikmin3/index.html

No word on when, or how much the DLC would cost (or if it'd be free),naturally. Waiting for an official announcement.

zlCfzRDe5pEDL4C_kQ

Send the Purple Pikmin at me if old.

Chao

If those levels weren't cut from the original game and they are more like a expansion, then yeah, please I would like to pay you

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Please understand, we at at Nintendo are new to DLC like HD gaming. Please be patient and please understand.

Well they've done DLC better than basically every other company on the planet, so is this a way of complimenting their HD development?

zroid

Banned
I demand DLC which lets you use all 7 Pikmin types

Actually, can you do this in challenge mode already?

Now this I can get behind. I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the game on Friday, and to know that more content may be available in the future just makes this purchase all the sweeter.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I never entirely got this argument.

So let's say they decided to cut some things from the game due to scheduling or quality reasons.

Would you actually want them to never go back, improve them, and release them if they think it could actually be good?

Naw, I'd imagine that most DLC indeed has origins in content that was partially worked on during the standard development time of a game, games always come out without every idea being finished or executed. Like how Mario Galaxy 2 was "we just had more game we didn't get a chance to make."

I take explicit umbrage with content that is made during the course of primary development with the purpose of being held back and released later as DLC. Literally taken out "so we can sell it later," not because it's presently no good or just barely in progress. That's the kind of situation I am NOPEing to.

Sounds like PR talk.

Since when does Nintendo have the benefit of doubt?

They haven't done anything to not deserve it. Every discussion they've ever had about DLC, from the executive down to the developer level, has been focused around not building DLC during the course of the game, and instead starting it after the game is released. It's a very big consumer issue for them, they've talked about the negative impression on-the-disc DLC has on gamers. The DLC they've released on the 3DS and Wii U has all matched this philosophy.

As always, show me the magnitude of the content and the price before we'll talk, but I'm not opposed to this on principle.

Unless it comes across as Nintendo having cut the dungeons to sell back as DLC later, that probably won't go over well.

Somnid

I never entirely got this argument.

So let's say they decided to cut some things from the game due to scheduling or quality reasons.

Would you actually want them to never go back, improve them, and release them if they think it could actually be good?

Typically this is more in reference to day 1 DLC or pre-release DLC announcements. Basically that dev time is used on making additional sale material instead of on the actual game. Or in the case of something like Mass Effect where the game ends poorly and expects you to buy the content.

Obviously unused ideas and things that weren't ready and needed to be cut for the final game are appropriate for DLC.

If they do this, I wonder if they are going to release mission packs that are considered harder then what is found in the regular game. I keep applauding Nintendo for their Luigi DLC because of how difficult they made it, making it a new experience, instead of just going with what works. A few reviews of Pikmin 3 have been released and although they state the game is incredible they also state it is very easy. I would like to see Nintendo really diving into this theme of making DLC for gamers that want more of a challenge.

As always, show me the magnitude of the content and the price before we'll talk, but I'm not opposed to this on principle.

Unless it comes across as Nintendo having cut the dungeons to sell back as DLC later, that probably won't go over well.

One or two entirely new maps would go down a treat. I'd pay a tenner for them.

Noi

I'm sure it's just the translation, but the phrasing of "using the internet, we can do DLC" makes me laugh, as if the internet part wasn't an implicit thing in that.

Top Bottom