• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Shape of Water (Guillermo Del Toro) - early reviews hitting

Jombie

I'm glad del Toro is back with a more intimate film. He's a great filmmaker, but I find his big budget movies painfully dull.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I am so excited for this movie.

I actually loved Crimson Peak. I think there is a cultural bias based in latent misogyny which has seeped into our critical appraisals that values power fantasies and terror over romance in art these days. I really dig the gothic romance novel vibe. It was very alluring and charming.

Not that it was a perfect movie, but him doubling down on this idea that love stories are still worth telling speaks to me.

Crimson Peak is the best of GDT's American movies tbh

Hmm...yeah why not. None of his American movies have been great, with at least crimson peak being the least corny (and it's the best looking of his films for me with that production design that brings to mind gothic romance and old haunted house films)

Judging by reviews though shape of water sounds like he made one that's on par with his Spanish work. Finally.

jett

D-Member
Hmm...yeah why not. None of his American movies have been great, with at least crimson peak being the least corny (and it's the best looking of his films for me with that production design that brings to mind gothic romance and old haunted house films)

Judging by reviews though shape of water sounds like he made one that's on par with his Spanish work. Finally.

The Hellboys aren't all that great, but they're a damn sight better than the abject turd.

GDT's worst work though is that garbage Strain TV show.

Raptor

Is the most boring though, only one of his films that I fell asleep.

No love for blade 2 in this thread?! Jesus you guys. Sure it's not the emotional masterpiece that is Pan's labyrinth or the eerie and beautiful devils backbone but it's fun as all hell. Not gonna say it's even better than hellboy 2 but god damn it's as much fun. Also Crimson Peak was awful I'm sorry. And corny. I'm okay with corny when it's in the service of a remotely good story but I couldn't even get through CP in one sitting. Sure was his most gorgeous film to date though

OT I can not wait for this it looks like it has a chance to be one of his best films yet

Not surprised to see the rave reviews. This looked incredible.

in b4 people start their awful Hellboy theories.

Um, i know for a fact this William's first film in the Hellboy cinematic universe, this is the Abraham Sapien stand alone film to launch the new series of Hellboy films.

In a high school film class, I listed GDT as my favorite director. It was just after Blade 2 came out, which I adored. My teacher must have thought I was just a dumb kid, but clearly I knew what I was doing because he only gets better over time!

No love for blade 2 in this thread?! Jesus you guys. Sure it's not the emotional masterpiece that is Pan's labyrinth or the eerie and beautiful devils backbone but it's fun as all hell. Not gonna say it's even better than hellboy 2 but god damn it's as much fun. Also Crimson Peak was awful I'm sorry. And corny. I'm okay with corny when it's in the service of a remotely good story but I couldn't even get through CP in one sitting. Sure was his most gorgeous film to date though

OT I can not wait for this it looks like it has a chance to be one of his best films yet

Blade >>>>> Blade 2.

big ander

Blade 2 > Crimson Peak

And crimson Peak should be right up my alley. Jessica chastain, Mia wasikowska, period setting, big creepy house. Just doesn't really come together. Blade 2 is nuts and has amazing action
The Hellboys aren't all that great, but they're a damn sight better than the abject turd.

GDT's worst work though is that garbage Strain TV show.
Afaik he didn't really do anything on the strain, especially in recent years. Wrote and directed the pilot and then wrote one ep in season 2. blame Carlton cuse

Del Toro delivers once again

giphy.gif

Yo but I thought it was to. I mean they made the creature look just like Abe sapain

Not all blue fish people look the same. Gosh! :p

They're pretty different designs.

The eyes, the amount of black, the spines on this creature's back. When you really sit down to look at them side by side, they're not very similar looking outside of the basic blue fishperson premise.

Um, i know for a fact this William's first film in the Hellboy cinematic universe, this is the Abraham Sapien stand alone film to launch the new series of Hellboy films.

I'm not sure if this post is a joke, or serious. Hahaha. Poe's Law, I guess. But who the fuck is William?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Can't wait to see this. Del Toro is a master.

A master with a very spotty filmography. Pan's Labyrinth is a masterpiece, The Devil's Backbone is very good. Everything else is either OK (Hellboy 1 and 2, Chronos) or disappointing (Pacific Rim, Crimson Peak, Blade 2, Mimic). He could have done so much better, but unfortunately many of his projects failed to materialize or were compromised by external forces. I really hope The Taste of Water is the return of the director who wrote and directed Pan's Labyrinth.

Blade 2 > Crimson Peak

And crimson Peak should be right up my alley. Jessica chastain, Mia wasikowska, period setting, big creepy house. Just doesn't really come together. Blade 2 is nuts and has amazing action

Blade 2 might be the worst movie I've seen from him. The fugly cgi body doubles in most of the action scenes really took me out of them.

Aikidoka

How is it a lame statement though?...

The idea that love is some all-powerful force and that succumbing to it blindly is something that will "cure" cynicism is a bit silly and not really a well-formed or thought-out idea.

But, if you like it, then more power to you. My remark was innocuous and completely harmless, and the idea that it warrants being lumped in with white-supremacists is just pathetic.

inky

A master with a very spotty filmography. Pan's Labyrinth is a masterpiece, The Devil's Backbone is very good. Everything else is either OK (Hellboy 1 and 2, Chronos) or disappointing (Pacific Rim, Crimson Peak, Blade 2, Mimic). He could have done so much better, but unfortunately many of his projects failed to materialize or were compromised by external forces. I really hope The Taste of* Water is the return of the director who wrote and directed Pan's Labyrinth.

*Shape of, and I disagree. Mimic is probably the only disappointing spot for me and we know how troubled its production was. But I can find the same director who wrote and directed Pan's Labyrinth in Crimson Peak or Pacific Rim through his earnestness and respect for vehicles that aren't exactly in vogue or trendy.

He is a master of genre and his craft, and I think 90% of his movies show it.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Loving the praise it's getting, the trailer was one of the best that I've seen this year.

Not all blue fish people look the same. Gosh! :p

They're pretty different designs.

The eyes, the amount of black, the spines on this creature's back. When you really sit down to look at them side by side, they're not very similar looking outside of the basic blue fishperson premise.

Is clear that Abe is the child of this film couple.

Man, the early buzz for this is legit.

A ton of people are saying this is right up there with Pan's Labyrinth, which if that doesn't get you excited or at least interested I don't know what will!

Breaking Banter just posted a video review on YouTube and they absolutely gush over it! They both gave it a
10/10.
HYPE ACTIVATED!

Crimson Peak was awesome.

GhaleonEB

Man, the early buzz for this is legit.

A ton of people are saying this is right up there with Pan's Labyrinth, which if that doesn't get you excited or at least interested I don't know what will!

Breaking Banter just posted a video review on YouTube and they absolutely gush over it! They both gave it a
10/10.
HYPE ACTIVATED!

Crimson Peak was awesome.

The bolded actually read as warnings to me. :p

Definately interested to check this out, though. I dig the premise and I like Del Toro's visuals. I've just yet to see a film of his with a good script.

Top Bottom