• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PS3 Update 3.0 Thread of Clock/Battery Fix Hotness and Crotch-Grabbin' Win!

Crisis

Banned
osbhjo.png

medaloffirmware.png

2qbatep.jpg

Welcome to the Official PS3 System Update 3.0 Thread of Clock/Battery Fix Hotness and Crotch-Grabbin' Win!

What is it?

PS3 System Update 3.0 is a long-awaited firmware that fixes a few key issues and adds a handful of neat new things to the PS3 system interface. The full known changelog will be posted below. Once this system update goes live you will be unable to sign into PlayStation Network on your PS3 until you download and install it.

When does it release?

Sony has announced that the release date for firmware 3.0 is September 1, 2009 internationally. There is no specified time slot for the release date beyond the day. However, the updates almost always go live in the evening in North America. Once it has gone live I will update this post to reflect its availability.

*EDIT*

THE FIRMWARE IS NOW LIVE AND AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD ON PLAYSTATION NETWORK AND THROUGH PC.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FIRMWARE TO INSTALL YOURSELF

How do I obtain it?

There are several ways to get the system update once it has gone live. The easiest is to update the system itself directly. From the PlayStation 3 XMB, simply navigate to Settings then up to System Update. If the system update is live, you will receive a message stating that there is a later version available. From there, simply download it, accept the terms and agreement, then install it and enjoy! Alternatively, you can click here to download the firmware from Sony.

Official Changelog of Awesome!

• What's New

This is a replacement for the old Information Board that nobody really used. In fact, it directly replaces the Information Board and now resides under the PlayStation Network indicator on your XMB. For a lot of you this is the first thing you're going to see when you turn on your PS3 and it boots up. Basically, it is a way for you to get the absolute latest on what's going on with your PS3. It features a fully interactive grid of new stories, games, features, updates, the last few games you played, etc. You'll be able to click each cell on the grid and interact with it somehow. Here's a couple of pictures for reference.
    10rtsg5.jpg

rt07.jpg

rt10.jpg

• Status Indicator

The status indicator is a near-total redesign of the upper right of your PS3 XMB. It drastically changes the way you can get information at a glance. This picture should help illustrate -
    w9zmhk.jpg

From left to right, it shows your PlayStation Network avatar, how many friends are currently online, whether you have a chat invitation, whether you have any unread messages, then the day and time. Underneath that is a PSN ticker. It has headlines that scroll across the screen that have to do with PlayStation in general. You have the option to turn this off.

Specifically though - the status indicator was made to fix this problem:
    2qbatep.jpg
  • Friends List

The friends list is redesigned visually. Your avatar, comment, status are all still there. When you click on anyone's profile, you will have the option to view your entire message history with that contact as well as see how many messages you have from that person that you have not read.

30.jpg

• PlayStation Store Shortcuts

You will find that there are now shortcuts to the PlayStation Store underneath the Game and Video section of the XMB. Clicking either one will take you to the PSN Game Store or the PSN Video Store, respectively. Much like the What's New section you will also find news and updates laid out in a similar fashion with these new shortcuts.

Update 3.0 will introduce loads of new avatars for PSN users to choose from. Some of these will be free, and some of these will be available at a premium cost. Additionally, you will find animated themes available from the PlayStation Store, which look really neat. The LittleBigPlanet theme is available right now from the PlayStation Network Game Store for $2.99 USD. It is approximately 8MB in size. The Japanese Store offers a FREE animated Afrika / Hakuna Matata theme.
    The Standard theme will now have interactive (uses the sixaxis motion sensors) sparkles, but you can return to the classic wave theme.

Here are some screenshots of animated themes. Video of both of these is available at the bottom of this post via the link.
    aexzit.png

2zflr1t.png

• Trophies

This system update will allow developers to modify how trophies are presented for add-on content. Your trophy progress will still be shown on a out-of-100% level much as it is now. But when you click on a game to see the specific trophies, the list will discern between the base game and any add-on content that may be available as subcategories. This is only for upcoming games.
  • Upconverting Audio from USB

You can now upconvert audio from the hard drive or a USB source to 88.2 Khz or 176.4 Khz.
  • Sound

The sound settings area let you select simultaneous audio output, which makes the system output sound simultaneously through HDMI, optical, and AV Multi. However, everything except for the connection specified in the main audio output setting outputs in 2ch only.

If you are unable to listen to music after pressing the home button in the XMB, stop killing chubigans and read this you bastards:
    Go to Music Settings, and select your bitsteram to be 44Khz instead of 48/122/etc. Now you can have music in the background again.
  • Video Playback Functionality

You can now manipulate video playback on PS3 using the right analog stick on your controller. Moving the analog stick will pause the video outright and give you the ability to rotate the stick to advance or rewind the video in slow motion or up to 4X speed. To resume normal playback simply release the stick.
    mpt8y.jpg
    96gg7n.jpg

• Audio & Subtitle Languages in Videos on the HDD
    Video settings adds HDD audio language and HDD subtitle language options. Using these, you view videos using language tracks and subtitles from your hard disk in your preferred language. Some content does not allow for these settings to be used.
  • Web Browser

The web browser has a print screen functionality that can now utilize a printer connected to PS3 through USB or LAN if the printers are compatible.
  • Startup

All PS3 models (fat or slim) will be receiving a brand new system startup sequence and sound. It has the new PS3 slim logo and a different tune-up sound. It's also a little bit shorter than the one that we have now. You can see it in advance by clicking this link.

Alternatively, here's a picture:
    qzrvat.jpg

The PS3 also starts at the What's New section under the PlayStation Network XMB icon by default. However, this can be changed back to Game from the system settings. Additionally, when you start a PS3 game, you will not longer see the black screen with "PLAYSTATION 3" written in the Spider-man font accompanied by the chime.
  • Catch Up TV (For Supported Countries Only)

Features channel shortcuts under the TV icon, IP-protected and only show up in the supported countries. Currently on board Catch Up TV channels:

- BBC (UK)
    which will be "followed shortly" by:
    - rtve (Spain)
    - Antena 3 (Spain)
    - laSexta (Spain)
    - ZDF (Germany)
    - NOS (Netherlands)
    - ABC (Australia)
  • DTCP-IP Support

System settings adds the the ability to activate DTCP-IP. This lets you undergo internet based authorization that's required for viewing copy protected videos on a media server.
  • Busy Indicator

Remember when you used the PS3 web browser or started an installation of a game you downloaded and you'd see that little water droplet in the upper right corner of the screen to show that it was busy? Yeah that's gone now. In its place is the analog clock from the Status Indicator.
    dq1ys5.png

When the PS3 is busy, you'll see the analog clock move from its position and spin wildly out of control as if to signify that time is no longer relevant and that all hope is lost. Make love to someone for the end is surely nigh. Or it'll go back to its stationary position and the correct time when it's done. One of the two.
  • Font

The font size and the icon size for the XMB have actually gotten a fair bit bigger. Those of you with smaller HDTVs will probably appreciate this a lot.
  • Copy and Paste

You can select and copy text from PSN messages (additional to the internet browser), that way you can i.e. send and "click" links to other PSN users.
    2d7yjoj.jpg

• Stealth Updates
    - Remote Play: Add a mobile phone
    - Lists: When you have a list with a lot of items in it a scroll bar will appear on the left with an indicator to show how far you are from the top or bottom for when you continuously scroll up or down.
    - ListsL Icon names and folder/file names fade out after a second (besides the selected one)
    - Chat: New yellow icon displayed next to the text chat icon letting you know you have an invite
    - Trophies: Platinum trophies don't count anymore to the total completion percentage of a game, of course they still do count for the trophy levels.

Video of firmware 3.0 can be found by clicking this link.

Huge thanks to Chubigans for the banner and being generally awesome.
Thanks to alr1ghtstart for the animated .gif
Thanks to Sentry for the banner of the infinity.
Thanks to Solidus Dave for helping compile the list of new features after the release.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
:lol :lol

I can't wait to discover old features and call them new... like every other time!

Hell Yeah :D

Awesome Image! :lol.

Come on guys. Let's try to find something wrong with the FW like the clock in 3.0 so we can bitch about it for FW 4.0!

demolitio

I just switched my theme to the Batman one and can't see myself switching it yet. Now an animated Batman theme would get me to switch. :D

The ps3 isn't "feature complete" until it grabs my crotch for me, while I chat cross-game and upload a video to youtube of the ps3 grabbing my crotch while I chat cross game.

Biff

I fear the incoming different opening theme tune. I hope it will be as, how you say, angelic as the current intro :3

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Chrange said:
A second hype thread for a firmware update. :lol

This gen of consoles has been so freaking bizarre.

Its not like there was not one for the NXE. New stuff especially great stuff added with firmware is something to be excited for. I'm sure if Nintendo came out with a new awesome firmware we will have a thread about it.

noah111

Still Alive
Nice, feel free to use the info/screens in the old thread OP;

- The right analogue stick functionality during video playback looks like it will be pretty powerful. When you push the stick in any direction, the video will pause You can then rotate the stick for speeds ranging between slow motion and four times. Rotate clockwise, and you'll advance the video. Counterclockwise will backtrack. The speed can be adjusted at a precision of 0.01 times. Let go of the stick, and the playback will continue at normal speed.

mpt8y.jpg
96gg7n.jpg

- From version 3.0, all versions of the PS3 -- old and new -- will have a change to their startup sequences. When booting up the system for the firts time, PlayStation family logo, PS3 logo, and PlayStation 3 logo will all display simultaneously. When you start up a game, the PS3 logo will no longer be shown, giving a slight boost in speed to startup time. Note that this does not apply to original PlayStation games, as they run on an emulator.

qzrvat.jpg

Plus some screens of the PS Store shortcuts and animated LBP theme (which is interactive!);

aexzit.png

2zflr1t.png

Haunted

Animated themes!

Don't really care about the rest.

edit: in before other senior members bitch about having an official/hype thread for fucking firmware

Jostifer

I believe the animated backgrounds are actual software and polygons. It is *NOT* a looping video.

For example in the LBP one you can shake the controller and sackboy jumps.

androvsky

Crisis said:
[*]Busy Indicator

When the PS3 is busy, you'll see the analog clock move from its position and spin wildly out of control as if to signify that time is no longer relevant and that all hope is lost. Make love to someone for the end is surely nigh. Or it'll go back to its stationary position and the correct time when it's done. One of the two.

:lol :lol

Btw, didn't Sony mention being able to set default languages and subtitles for videos stored on the hard drive? Stealth mkv support wouldn't surprise me terribly.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Crisis said:
The font size and the icon size for the XMB have actually gotten a fair bit bigger. Those of you with smaller HDTVs will probably appreciate this a lot.

I'm not sure I like this. The font and icon size is pretty much perfect as it is, to me. Also, won't larger icons destroy a lot of custom themes (primarily those which have icons and backgrounds that fit together in a cool way)? Also, icons made for 1080p won't be pixel perfect anymore. Hmm.

Carl

Crisis said:
When the PS3 is busy, you'll see the analog clock move from its position and spin wildly out of control as if to signify that time is no longer relevant and that all hope is lost.

Win :D

Awesome official thread. I want to know what the new friends list sorting is like :D

Goldrusher said:
It's 3.00, not 3.0.

I'll accept 3 or 2.999 rounded up, sorry.

What's with the dudes giving anal in the OP?

Its not like there was not one for the NXE. New stuff especially great stuff added with firmware is something to be excited for. I'm sure if Nintendo came out with a new awesome firmware we will have a thread about it.

I'm pretty sure that's why he thinks it's bizarre. :lol I mean, there were 20 pages of font change talk. I think most would agree it's become a little...obsessive now.

Anyways, the status indicator is the only big update, IMO. But it's a good one.

SamBishop

Banned
Crisis said:

You are awesome. This is awesome. I laughed for about five minutes straight.

My crotch is being grabbed as we speak. Tinfoil hat to follow with this costume party celebration.

It feels like were celebrating 2000 all over again.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Can't wait for the sparkle, the excitement is almost too much. I'm a bit curious about the new avatars, I've had the watermelon sprite for so long it will take something pretty rad to convince me to change it.

Farewell, sweet prince...
2ni8n52.png

theluma

What I really want is some more statuses to be added. It's so stupid that there isn't an "away" status for when I'm downloading stuff.

Or even better, custom statuses.

Top Bottom