• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG secret WiiU news follow-up Rumor: 3D Mario to launch by October

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...ts-wii-u-resurgence-with-3d-mario-by-october/

Discussions with retail chains at executive level paint Nintendo's 2013 release strategy as extensive, with the headline draw being a new 3D Mario game released on Wii U by October.

However, one person close to the matter has said Nintendo's executive circle was not comfortable fully promoting Wii U until the release of the system's spring update. In January, Nintendo said two updates would arrive before the summer is over.

A number of blockbuster Wii U games will be released from summer until the end of the year, one of which is a new 3D Mario title. Although CVG is not yet able to confirm what the others will be, a new Mario Kart will debut in playable form at E3.

The marketing campaign will commence at the Los Angeles event (although some claim sooner), where the 3D Mario game will also be playable on the show floor. The title will be released before October, pending development delays.

Shelly Pearce, the PR director at Nintendo UK, told CVG: "From July onwards we will launch a succession of Wii U titles and we will promote these extensively until the end of the year. Marketing activity will include TV, print, online and PR as well as comprehensive experiential and social media campaigns".

She added: "We have a strong line up planned for Wii U in the second half of 2013 including the likes of Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Wii U.

"We are looking forward to launching these in the UK and for the opportunity to showcase the full potential of Wii U."

But genuinely, there are some really special things lined up for Wii U. Really interesting Xmas for all

Rob Crossley (article writer) tweeted this right after the article went up.

https://twitter.com/Rob_Crossley_/status/330319324940214272

Take with giant grains of salt and feed me to the Pikmin if old.

If true Wii U's second half of the year could feature, at least:
-New Super Luigi DLC
-Pikmin 3
-The Wonderful 101
-Wii Party U
-Wii Fit U
-LoZ: Wind Waker HD
-Mario 3D

This is at least 1 first party game a month until the end of the year (between July/August), short of any 'surprises'.

Shahed

However, one person close to the matter has said Nintendo's executive circle was not comfortable fully promoting Wii U until the release of the system's spring update. In January, Nintendo said two updates would arrive before the summer is over.

Are they saying they don't want new customers to experience how bad the OS supposedly is? Not that I've experienced it, so I can't say how it is one way or the other

Sendou

However, one person close to the matter has said Nintendo's executive circle was not comfortable fully promoting Wii U until the release of the system's spring update.

Ok? It's not like the update was ground breaking by any standard.

zroid

Banned
tumblr_lkw3vhx48u1qgd2hio1_400.gif

Foshy

Nintendo-related rumors are so rare. Nothing ever leaks from them.

When was the last time a huge game leaked early?

is the spring update the recent one?

cause i saw a youtube video stopwatching load times of that compared to pre-update, and while improved, it was still pretty horrible (like, certain menu selections might take 20 seconds to load now instead of 25, better but still awful)

Qurupeke

Fuck Nintendo. Either they don't release games or they release everything on a few months. Imagine Mario Kart, Mario, Zelda and many more from October to December...

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So, Pikmin in July, Wind Waker in September, Mario "before October", which should mean September, too? Pikmin should have been released by May :/. Still, I'd be happy to see the next 3D Mario this year.

BowieZ

Banned
I don't want to get my hopes up, but I have a good feeling we're merely 30 odd days away from seeing an HD 3D Mushroom Kingdom.

is the spring update the recent one?

cause i saw a youtube video stopwatching load times of that compared to pre-update, and while improved, it was still pretty horrible (like, certain menu selections might take 20 seconds to load now instead of 25, better but still awful)

Yeah. Hopefully the summer update tightens up the rest of the OS.

October seems like kind of an odd month, doesn't it? Maybe hoping for a little bit of distance between themselves and the PS4/XBox Whatever...presumably launching in November.

NotLiquid

October is their absolute best bet. Follow that up with Mario Kart not long after, cause PS4 and Durango is probably going to dominate November assuming the consoles are going to try to be as close to the Christmas market as possible.

Looking forward to it, but if the NSMB line couldn't save the Wii U, I doubt this will.

In a rush to get a snappy first response in you forgot to say something that made any sense.

How can a launch game save a system? How would a 3D mario not help the system? And why in the world are there so many people around here that think a singular game makes or breaks a system. The 'killer app' is dead. A 'healthy ecosystem' is what is needed. Nintendo doesn't need one amazing game. They need their whole lineup.

Can't tell if being serious or...

NSMB sells way the hell more than any 3d mario game. A 3d mario will probably sell the console to reticent nintendo fans that are still holding out (like meeeeeeeeeee), but the system ain't gonna suddenly start selling as well as the wii did. Maybe the thought of HD mario will entrance a few more core gamers than galaxy did? IDK.

So basically: a 3d mario will only save the wiiU because gamecube or n64 numbers are better than the current pitiful shit-show of sales.

mooseman

Even after the spring update, my Wii U still seems pretty slow.

Come on with the directs Nintendo! We need GAMES!!! Both retail and virtual console!

Malvingt2

If I remember well, Nintendo on the 3DS did something similar right? 3D Mario, MK and MH3G? I don't remember what month 3D Land came out..

I am talking about the tactic for this holidays season..

Majine

Banned
Can't tell if being serious or...

Or what? Last I checked this was real life.

In a rush to get a snappy first response in you forgot to say something that made any sense.

How can a launch game save a system? How would a 3D mario not help the system? And why in the world are there so many people around here that think a singular game makes or breaks a system. The 'killer app' is dead. A 'healthy ecosystem' is what is needed. Nintendo doesn't need one amazing game. They need their whole lineup.

NSMB usually has insane legs. Also Nintendo more than Sony and Microsoft rely on single hits rather than a happy ecosystem of games.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Can anyone be even remotely surprised by this?

I've long said 3D Mario for September/October, Mario Kart for November/December.

NSMB sells way the hell more than any 3d mario game. A 3d mario will probably sell the console to reticent nintendo fans that are still holding out (like meeeeeeeeeee), but the system ain't gonna suddenly start selling as well as the wii did. Maybe the thought of HD mario will entrance a few more core gamers than galaxy did? IDK.

So basically: a 3d mario will only save the wiiU because gamecube or n64 numbers are better than the current pitiful shit-show of sales.

Wasn't 3D Land one of the reasons so many people picked up a 3DS two years ago?
In fact its sold more than Mario Kart 7 has.

This isn't shocking news. Sounds about right.
So Pikmin August;
Windwaker September;
Mario October;
Kart November

Certainly I suspect the game is late but as long as its in before the holiday should be okay.

Can anyone be even remotely surprised by this?

I've long said 3D Mario for September/October, Mario Kart for November/December.

People still think the 3DS software line up of around 2 of Nintendo's biggest games was some sort of rushed/panic/shock. As if they planned to release nothing for the entire systems lifecycle. Peoples views are horribly skewed towards nonsense atm.

Lunar15

Oh good. At least someone there knew they shipped out a really crappy product. But not promoting your own device? Bonkers. I wonder if this is the reason they held off on games.

x-Lundz-x

Quote:
"She added: "We have a strong line up planned for Wii U in the second half of 2013 including the likes of Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Wii U."

3 shown games (2 delayed launch window titles and a remake) = strong line-up?

Nintendo better have 3D Mario, Smash, Mario Kart, new Metroid, New Zelda, new DK Game and some others all shown this year at e3 and all releasing this year for them to try and save this disaster.

Sendou

Quote:
"She added: "We have a strong line up planned for Wii U in the second half of 2013 including the likes of Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Wii U."

Could be that she only mentioned the ones that are confirmed for 2013. I mean that's what she means.

Oh good. At least someone there knew they shipped out a really crappy product. But not promoting your own device? Bonkers.

Its not bonkers. They sell devices through software. Promote the software when its out.
Whats the point in promoting it right now? Theres not much.

If Nintendo want 'momentum' they need good word of mouth. So you want sales after the updates.

Quote:

Nintendo better have 3D Mario, Smash, Mario Kart, new Metroid, New Zelda, new DK Game and some others all shown this year at e3 and all releasing this year for them to try and save this disaster.

Bahahaha, you're kidding right?

Kouriozan

Seems like Nintendo want a repeat of the 3DS's 2011 holidays line up, Mario + Mario Kart + something else.
We'll see.

Top Bottom