• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 new modes revealed (New Game+, 1-Life Hardcore, Classic, Pure Survival)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There's a lot more at the link.

Visceral said:
What else can you choose to do? How about play DS3 in 4 unlockable game modes! Each mode is on-disc, and becomes available when you beat the game once.

-There’s New Game+, which lets you start a new game with all your upgrades and arsenal intact.

-There’s Classic Mode, which is for the DS1 veterans out there. It’s single-player only, uses “classic” aiming, and there’s no crafting – all weapons have to be built from blueprints, a la the original game.

-Another mode is Pure Survival Mode. If you like survival horror and resource management, this is the mode for you. Enemies ONLY drop resources, and there’s no ammo, health, or weapon parts to be found. You’ll have to choose what to craft every time you see a bench. Upgrade? Med Pack? Plasma Core? Think fast – there’s a Waster right around the corner!

-Finally, we have the aptly-named Hardcore Mode. Choose this mode, and you only get one life to live for the entire campaign. Make sure to wear a clean pair of boxers when you play…
Source: http://www.deadspace.com/news/artic...rceid=ds3_fb-post-dev-blog-executive-producer

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
What happens if your partner dies??

You get to save once inside his corpse.

tauntaun-sleeping-bagf9sdm.jpg

gdt

So cool. All these kick ass modes, expanded exploration and sidequests......crafting....all sounding awesome.

Nemesis_

Hard Core seems IMPOSSIBLE. Although do they specify if there is a certain amount of saves, or is it ONE LIFE and NO SAVES?

Jesus.

Draft

Those all sound great, but I still think the campaign looks like too much of a departure from the prior entries. Which is to say that classic mode sounds awesome, but it doesn't remove a bunch of human enemies shooting at me, so it's not classic enough.

Hard Core seems IMPOSSIBLE. Although do they specify if there is a certain amount of saves, or is it ONE LIFE and NO SAVES?

Jesus.

Seems to be on-par with Dead Space 2 Hard Core and Witcher 2 Insane.

please no trophy for the hardcore

Oh come on. Trophies and achievements are so easy to get. You get a freaking trophy for completing the tutorial these days. It's called trophy & achievement for a reason. They should be difficult to get.

All sound great. I wish this was just open from the get go, my first playthrough would absolutely be classic or survival and how my first playthrough experience goes will determine if I'll replay, but these are definitely welcomed .

ironcreed

Banned
Hm, that classic mode changes my opinion somewhat. The others are thoughtful additions as well. It would be nice if this game ended up surprising me after all.

Jawmuncher

You get to save once inside his corpse.

[/IMG]

Actually that would be a cool idea.
1 life mode has friendly fire and If you decide to kill your friend you get to save. Just imagine how amusing it would be to off your friend after having played through the whole game together so you could get a save point before the toughest part of the game. So many friendships would be ruined.

Toa TAK

Banned
Classic mode is perfect for me. I liked the weapon crafting in the demo, but ultimately not really necessary (or in the demo at least).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sounds too good to be true. Are these modes DLC?

that was a joke, well i hope it was

They're free.

There's a tease for DLC in the blog post, but it's unrelated to the modes.

Visceral said:
And the team is hard at work on a top secret additional story that will be coming in a few weeks. We're not saying much, yet - but think "disturbing" to get your imaginations going.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Jesus.

It's one life and checkpoint based, so you can atleast stop/start at your leisure but it's back to the start if you ever die.

codecow

According to some guys on the OT, the additional modes will be on Zealot difficulty (the hardest). Shieeeet.

Impossible is the hardest, I would have set it to that but I lost. Apparently Impossible is really hard.

As for saving and such there at checkpoint saves and you can save as many times as you want but if you die that's it.

The unlock for Hardcore is just amazing, and no it's not the same as DS2.

Tacitus_

Impossible is the hardest, I would have set it to that but I lost. Apparently Impossible is really hard.

As for saving and such there at checkpoint saves and you can save as many times as you want but if you die that's it.

The unlock for Hardcore is just amazing, and no it's not the same as DS2.

I stand corrected, it's been a while since I played DS2 (or did it even have Impossible difficulty?).

def sim

I stand corrected, it's been a while since I played DS2 (or did it even have Impossible difficulty?).

IIRC, impossible is the hardest difficulty in the original Dead Space. Zealot replaced it in the second. I'm guessing they brought it back for the third.

Didn't the other DS already have NG+?

*edit* Oh wait, there's 3 more besides that.

Pure Survival Mode sounds like it could be fun. There was already a lack of ammo without it I can only imagine how it'll be now.

JoeFenix

Hm, that classic mode changes my opinion somewhat. The others are thoughtful additions as well. It would be nice if this game ended up surprising me after all.

I have to admit that this stuff makes me more interested in the game as well.

Might check it out when it's cheaper instead of straight up skipping it!

So what is "classic" aiming? What has changed about the aiming in DS3?

Classic aiming is the aiming from DS1, where if you're grabbed or off balance your aim doesn't stay centered. The centered aiming is from DS2 and DS3, and your aim remains centered even in disorienting moments.

I for one would have preferred Classic mode set to Impossible difficulty, just for the giggles.

Mupod

Another mode is Pure Survival Mode. If you like survival horror and resource management, this is the mode for you. Enemies ONLY drop resources, and there’s no ammo, health, or weapon parts to be found. You’ll have to choose what to craft every time you see a bench. Upgrade? Med Pack? Plasma Core? Think fast – there’s a Waster right around the corner

YES. THIS IS WHAT I WANT. I have been asking for this for a LONG time.

Plissken

Is there any hope that this time, the DLC (especially the story DLC) will be made available to PC players? I had to play the Severed DLC at a buddies house on his 360.

def sim

Is there any hope that this time, the DLC (especially the story DLC) will be made available to PC players? I had to play the Severed DLC at a buddies house on his 360.

I hope so, but I'm buying this game on consoles first because of that reason. As much as I'd like to play the best version, I think I can just wait until a significant amazon or Origin sale for the double dip.

codecow

I thought I was wrong when I got to work. In DS2 the user-facing difficulties were called something different than what we called them in code. In DS3 they're called the same thing, so yes all the unlockable modes are in "hard" difficulty in DS3 and not "impossible".

Hardcore was originally set to "impossible" but it was causing problems during testing because it was just too punishing/mean.

I thought I was wrong when I got to work. In DS2 the user-facing difficulties were called something different than what we called them in code. In DS3 they're called the same thing, so yes all the unlockable modes are in "hard" difficulty in DS3 and not "impossible".

Hardcore was originally set to "impossible" but it was causing problems during testing because it was just too punishing/mean.

I know this is not going to happen, but...

If you play 1-Life Hardcore Co-op, if the other player dies... will he comeback as a very difficult necromorph and if you kill him disable coop for that game?

I know this is not going to happen, but...

If you play 1-Life Hardcore Co-op, if the other player dies... will he comeback as a very difficult necromorph and if you kill him disable coop for that game?

You can't kill him, as Carver's unique genetic quirk allows him to turn into a Hunter that you have to deal with for the rest of the game. Enjoy.

You can't kill him, as Carver's unique genetic quirk allows him to turn into a Hunter that you have to deal with for the rest of the game. Enjoy.

Hunters are the one that regenerate right?

I forgot, if so that would be awesome.

But I would go that if you lose in 1-life hardcore the system destroys the Disc and burns the 360/Ps3/Pc.

Top Bottom