• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Were they good?
They were great, had lots of energy, Papa was an entertaining frontman, all the members moved around a lot and over all they sounded just as good as do in the studio. Really glad I got to see them live

Oh yeah apparently Lars was at the show last night so that was cool.

nBXZELL.png

Malevolent Creation (FL) - The Ten Commandments (Listenable 2017)
Malevolent Creation (FL) - Retribution (Listenable 2017)

DIE. MOTHER. FUCKER.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Got to listen to the New Boris a few times. It's nice, better than Noise, very fanservicey. Lots of drones, very little J-Pop-College-Rock-whateverthefuck they tried to do over the last few years. I guess it started out as kind of love and farewell letter to fans, and maybe it will even be their last album (yeah right). It works in that way. It has a lot of the things I love about especially their older work, could use some bangers (like that Kilmister song from that anime soundtrack they did I guess?), the obligatory epic drugged out ballad is alright but sounds a bit assembly line. They won't reinvent themselves anymore, but that's fine.

Yep, I am excited for the new album.

Worth mentioning that the full track is now available on Bandcamp (9 minutes in length).

https://wolvesinthethroneroom.bandcamp.com/track/born-from-the-serpents-eye

Also some more info from the YT video description:

Now, a portal into the dreamworld of Wolves in the Throne Room opens again with THRICE WOVEN. It is a glorious return to the blazing and furious Black Metal that they alone can create!
The album begins with ”Born From the Serpent's Eye", a true thrashing black metal epic that is bisected with a haunting northern lament sung by Swedish star Anna von Hausswolff. The band worked with metal documentarians Peter Beste and Nico Poalillo to create a video for this track which captures a bonfire-lit performance in the forest near their Olympia compound. ”The Old Ones Are With Us" opens with the crackling of a fire and the voice of Steve Von Till (Neurosis) invoking the springtime thaw. It then storms into a dirge inspired by 90's Finnish doom with lyrics that celebrate Imbolc, the holy day which marks the end of winter and the first stirrings of spring.

Figures from Norse mythology intertwine with personal heartbreak and rebirth in the bleak ”Angrboda". The song is named after a frost giantess who birthed Fenris Wolf, a beast who was destined to destroy the world and murder the gods. Fenris Wolf also appears on the cover of THRICE WOVEN in a painting by Russian occult artist Denis Forkas. Forkas' obscure medieval painting techniques perfectly compliment the music of Wolves in the Throne Room. A raven's wings stir the air in the interlude ”Mother Owl, Father Ocean". Anna von Hausswolff returns in a duet with Turkish harpist Zeynep Oyku. Forlorn industrial atmospheres haunt the mix. Hausswolff's lyrics, sung in Swedish, echo over a barren grey seascape. Fires Roar in the Palace of the Moon is the classic Cascadian Black Metal epic. The third eye opens to see holy rivers being born from the ice on the tallest peaks. The lyrics offer blessings to the waters of the earth as they flow from the high places to the source of darkness, the ocean.

It seems like another signature album, WITTR likes to use clean vocals (usually of feminine sound) in contrast with the rest of the vocals, which I've found to be a defining characteristic of their music. This newly released track on the full-length bandcamp link demonstrates it as well.

For example my favourite of this is "Cleansing". Another example is "Face In A Night Time Mirror Pt. 1"

While on topic of WITTR, my favourite album is "Two Hunters".

Got to listen to the New Boris a few times. It's nice, better than Noise, very fanservicey. Lots of drones, very little J-Pop-College-Rock-whateverthefuck they tried to do over the last few years. I guess it started out as kind of love and farewell letter to fans, and maybe it will even be their last album (yeah right). It works in that way. It has a lot of the things I love about especially their older work, could use some bangers (like that Kilmister song from that anime soundtrack they did I guess?), the obligatory epic drugged out ballad is alright but sounds a bit assembly line. They won't reinvent themselves anymore, but that's fine.

The new album is a perfect blend of old Amplifier Worship/Absolutego-era + Heavy Rocks + crooning parts of Pink. I think Boris has touched almost every style, so I'm fine with this throwback.

I finally got around to hearing the Kraanium/Analepsy split and goddamn does it rule. Best Kraanium has ever sounded. RIP Martin.

Fucking jealous. Does it get any better than Seagrave artwork at LP size?

nah, it doesn't. Ace split, since you mention it. That artwork is truly badass and also classic looking.

heyyy this is good. Tight sounding but unpolished enough.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
The new album is a perfect blend of old Amplifier Worship/Absolutego-era + Heavy Rocks + crooning parts of Pink. I think Boris has touched almost every style, so I'm fine with this throwback.
Yeah, don't get me wrong. I like it, it's good. But most of all I'm relieved they're still able to make an album like this.
Perfect is a bit much I think though. I dunno everything they make since like 2008 is just missing the rawness their older stuff had.
Alright, bring it.

jmdajr

nBXZELL.png

Malevolent Creation (FL) - The Ten Commandments (Listenable 2017)
Malevolent Creation (FL) - Retribution (Listenable 2017)

DIE. MOTHER. FUCKER.

Pretty cool. I am actually a HUGE fan of this album. Fine Art of Murder. Would listen to it constantly and went to the tour. It just sounds perfect to me. Day of Lamentation is like a Death metal ballad.

740.jpg

Just throwing this out there: if you like slam and or brutal death metal with a sci-fi edge to it then you have to check out Dismantling the Decomposed Entities by Decimated Humans. Really sick vocals and riffs that just don't stop. Also while it definitely has some sickening slams (and bass drops) the guitarist spends a lot of time on the upper 3 strings if you know what I mean.

It's pay what you want on Bandcamp for christ's sake! Fucking get it! To quote my own Bandcamp blurb: "Crazy riffs, otherworldly guitar tone, sick slams! This shit will dismantle your brain!"

This opening act for DragonForce is painful.
Which band?
Just throwing this out there: if you like slam and or brutal death metal with a sci-fi edge to it then you have to check out Dismantling the Decomposed Entities by Decimated Humans. Really sick vocals and riffs that just don't stop. Also while it definitely has some sickening slams (and bass drops) the guitarist spends a lot of time on the upper 3 strings if you know what I mean.

It's pay what you want on Bandcamp for christ's sake! Fucking get it! To quote my own Bandcamp blurb: "Crazy riffs, otherworldly guitar tone, sick slams! This shit will dismantle your brain!"
This. I like this a lot. Fucking hell.

Wish the vox were mixed louder though.

anyone catching Inquisition on their upcoming US tour? It will include Uada and Volahn, which for me results in a high quality bill of black metal. Dates:

01 Sep 17 Los Angeles (CA) Union
02 Sep 17 San Diego (CA) Brick by Brick
03 Sep 17 Oakland (CA) Oakland Metro Opera House
04 Sep 17 Portland (OR) Bossanova Ballroom
05 Sep 17 Seattle (WA) Studio Seven
08 Sep 17 Kansas City (MO) The Riot Room
09 Sep 17 Minneapolis (MN) Triple Rock
10 Sep 17 Chicago (IL) Reggie's
12 Sep 17 Lakewood (OH) The Foundry
13 Sep 17 New York (NY) Gramercy Theatre
14 Sep 17 Providence (RI) Alchemy
16 Sep 17 Spartanburg (SC) Ground Zero
17 Sep 17 Tampa (FL) The Orpheum
18 Sep 17 Atlanta (GA) Masquerade
20 Sep 17 Houston (TX) Acadia Bar
22 Sep 17 Austin (TX) Barracuda
23 Sep 17 Oklahoma City (OK) 89th Street Collective
25 Sep 17 Las Vegas (NV) Adrenaline
26 Sep 17 Phoenix (AZ) Joe's Grotto

source

will be at the Oakland date.

It seems like another signature album, WITTR likes to use clean vocals (usually of feminine sound) in contrast with the rest of the vocals, which I've found to be a defining characteristic of their music. This newly released track on the full-length bandcamp link demonstrates it as well.

For example my favourite of this is "Cleansing". Another example is "Face In A Night Time Mirror Pt. 1"

While on topic of WITTR, my favourite album is "Two Hunters".

Seems they are touring the US in October. Excited to see them for the first time.

anyone catching Inquisition on their upcoming US tour? It will include Uada and Volahn, which for me results in a high quality bill of black metal. Dates:

01 Sep 17 Los Angeles (CA) Union
02 Sep 17 San Diego (CA) Brick by Brick
03 Sep 17 Oakland (CA) Oakland Metro Opera House
04 Sep 17 Portland (OR) Bossanova Ballroom
05 Sep 17 Seattle (WA) Studio Seven
08 Sep 17 Kansas City (MO) The Riot Room
09 Sep 17 Minneapolis (MN) Triple Rock
10 Sep 17 Chicago (IL) Reggie's
12 Sep 17 Lakewood (OH) The Foundry
13 Sep 17 New York (NY) Gramercy Theatre
14 Sep 17 Providence (RI) Alchemy
16 Sep 17 Spartanburg (SC) Ground Zero
17 Sep 17 Tampa (FL) The Orpheum
18 Sep 17 Atlanta (GA) Masquerade
20 Sep 17 Houston (TX) Acadia Bar
22 Sep 17 Austin (TX) Barracuda
23 Sep 17 Oklahoma City (OK) 89th Street Collective
25 Sep 17 Las Vegas (NV) Adrenaline
26 Sep 17 Phoenix (AZ) Joe's Grotto

source

will be at the Oakland date.
I'll likely be at the Chicago date unless something comes up

I really enjoyed Uada at MDF, even though I think it's super weird that they sound like MGLA and even do the same "hoods on stage" nonsense. Like you really aren't doing yourselves any favors. Lol

Not a huge Inquisition fan but I can dig em

Regiruler

lol. I would love to see them. I think their new album is really good.

To each his own.

I think everyone would enjoy themselves more if tourmates weren't over a subgenre away. I'd really like to have power metal tour with other power metal bans, even if it's the american version I don't like as much. I'd even gladly take speed, thrash, or just plain old heavy (or some prog if I felt like going to sleep) because they are closer in style to power metal.

EDIT: For comparison, UK is getting Power Quest and mainland EU is getting Twilight Force as the lead-in. I want to desperately see both live.

Thanks, I bought their 2 albums and the ep. I think slam is agreeing with me more. I have been enjoying the slam recommendations people post here but can only listen to one or two songs before it starts to hurt. But I listened to their whole first album in one sitting.

Quikies83

Pillorian and Wolves in the Throne Room tour!

I'm seeing that show, Boris and Thou, BTBAM and The Contortionist, cattle decap and full of Hell all in a matter of 4 weeks.
Has been a great year for concerts (for me).
Though I do have to travel quite a bit for these.. as this has become one of my main hobbies as I've gotten older, I'm in much better position to actually travel and see some of these acts that I would've otherwise never been able to.
My 30's have rocked!!! :)

Ravager61

New Wolves in the Throne Room is fantastic. They are actually coming to my city too so I can't wait to see them live.

That new Drudkh song is quite good too. Feels kind of old school Drudkh. I really like pretty much everything they have done though so it's so surprise it's good.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Oh shit. Warning just announced a Boston date for the Watching from a Distance tour.

zchen

Well, new Wintersun album apparently leaked. I did pay 50 Euro for their crowd funding campaign so I guess I can wait another day.

Reviews of the new Wintersun calling it their Load or St. Anger. Ouch.

I mean, I dig both those albums, but calling an album any of those in the metal community is a straight insult.

jmdajr

I have a big place in my heart for Hammerfall. I wanted to see them again.

Looks like they came in May.

Oh well. Maybe again in a few more years :( :( :(

zchen

I mean, I dig both those albums, but calling an album any of those in the metal community is a straight insult.

sigh, at least I can look forward to the remix of the first 2 albums and the live album included in the package instead.

The new song sounds decent. I'm not wild about the anthem type singing in the chorus (or indeed this element in general), but the rest is fun enough.

I laughed at the review on Metal Injection when it said that they shot themselves in the foot with this album. I guess GAF has ruined that phrase for me forever. But whatever I'm still hyped.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Probably 'cause Jari's a douche :p

New Torture Squad, anyone? It came out last week, I had no idea. I just started listening to it here:

Far Beyond Existence

Too soon to say if it's great, but seems decent so far. I didn't know they changed vocalist recently, she seems good but I don't know if I like her as much as the previous one. That cover art is really baller!

Top Bottom