• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Movies That Take Place Mostly In One Room

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based off a couple comments in the Hard Candy thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=363214

List your favorites!

tape.jpg
Cube_The_Movie_Poster_Art.jpg

pontypool.jpg
reservoir-dogs-reservoir-dogs-9906490.jpg

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
The first Saw movie.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Off the top of my head, excluding the ones previously mentioned (12 angry men being one of the finest films of this type):

Taurus by Aleksandr Sokurov
Dogville by Lars von Trier
A Huey P Newton Story by Spike Lee

Tieno

m1xm4.jpg

An impromptu goodbye party for Professor John Oldman becomes a mysterious interrogation after the retiring scholar reveals to his colleagues
he is an immortal who has walked the earth for 14,000 years.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/

I love this movie, it's incredible.

Ripenen

What was that movie with DeVito and Spacey? The Big Kahuna? Yeah that took place almost entirely in one room, but I wouldn't call it "awesome", that's for sure.

some of these can be loosely interpreted (some are mostly one location):

12 Angry Men is so awesome
Rope
Funny Games
The Room :lol
Snakes on a Plane
Saw
Honey I Shrunk The Kids
The Shining
Panic Room

Peru

Glad to see the Glengarry love. I've watched that movie maybe more than any other. Does Night of the Living Dead count? Maybe not, but the best part of that movie is the claustrophobic feeling inside that living room.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
FOUR ROOMS

51BHXPHXQ4L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

now yes. it does take place primarily in four rooms. But each room/chapter is it's own story...and each ruelz.

especially the part where "....there's room 309, there's this scary Mexican gangster dude poking his finger in my chest. There's his hooligan kids snapping their fingers at me. There's a putrid, rotting corpse of a dead whore stuck in the springs of the bed. There's rooms blazing afire. There's a big fat needle from God knows where, stuck in my leg, infecting me with God knows what. And finally there's me, walking out the door, right fucking now. Buenas noches. "

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
The Interview with Hugo Weaving is an excellent little suspese story which involves him sitting in a room being interrogated for 95% of the film.

David Mamet's American Buffalo and Oleanna, both adapted from his own plays, are worth seeing even if I hated the latter.

[edit] Looking at some of the replies, you might want to hit up a dictionary to reevaluate the definition of "mostly."

FnordChan

A couple that come to mind:

51WD5P31EHL._SS500_.jpg

Deterrence (1999) - While on the 2008 election campaign trail, the sitting President, who through unusual circumstances, was not elected to his position, finds himself and several advisers stranded at a diner during a snowstorm. While he's there an international crisis takes place and he finds himself grappling with the decision of whether or not to use nuclear weapons. This political thriller doesn't entirely work, but it's certainly interesting, has some interesting twists right up until the very end of the film, and is well worth watching.

51lJ6A2wupL._SS500_.jpg

Secret Honor (1984) - Based on a one-man play, this Altman film stars Phillip Baker Hall as Richard Nixon, sitting in his office with a tape recorder and delivering a monologue about his career for a solid hour and a half. This is far more interesting than it sounds; Hall delivers an amazing performance and the script acts as a sort of fictional (one hopes) secret history of the Nixon years.

FnordChan

DrEvil

not a medical professional
The Interrobanger said:
Primer is all over the place...no idea how it fits in with the topic.

It's an amazing film :)

But the two main locations are the kitchen/garage and the rental storage.

eJawa

would probably like a hook in his jaw for that matter
Not a movie, but I liked how each episode of the show Tidus pretty much took place in one room or area. The flashbacks and narration were on separate sets, but the main story always stayed confined to one set. It kinda felt like you were watching a play, instead of a sitcom.

I miss that show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom