• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Timesplitters 4 announcement on the horizon?

legacyzero

Banned
Searched and saw nothing, but still, mock if old

26e1a3c830cd40345d5fb4b7e6aefcd1349c8293.jpg

OPM is claiming the rumor that TS4 is going to be announced soon. Obviously 'grain of salt' material. But rumors are all over the place about former Free Radical, now CRYTEK UK's silly, gun-wielding monkey FPS. I for one am a HUGE fan of the TS series (mainly because the multiplayer was fantastic along with an awesome map editor). Wasn't there a rumor that TS4 was being planned for next-gen systems?

“Gun-wielding monkeys are finally making a comeback! A fourth Timesplitters title is to be announced soon,” reads the magazine.

Source:
http://gematsu.com/2011/07/opm-timesplitters-4-to-be-announced-soon

Update:

As a note, Crytek UK's project was supposed to be unveiled at or just after E3.

Develop said:
And of course Crytek has a British studio arm too.
Crytek UK are an extremely happy crew, I would say. They were very pleased with their contribution to Crysis 2, and we have very ambitious plans for Crytek UK. The studio is now up to 85 people, with nice new offices! [laughs] The main thing is that the team are having a lot of fun – that’s the most important thing to us.

Are you giving Crytek UK the space to do their own work now, or will they be used for more collaboration?
The way the studio is set up means we don’t have to tell them what to do – the thinking is more about what we [Crytek management] can do to help them get on with their own work. We come to mutual conclusions on projects, and I think at E3 this year – or just after – we are going to make a big announcement that I think people will be happy about. I think the gaming scene and the UK scene are going to be very pleased with the new project they’re working on.
Source: http://www.develop-online.net/features/1152/The-Crytek-way

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Crytek UK's project was supposed to be unveiled at E3, so this would make sense.

Develop said:
And of course Crytek has a British studio arm too.
Crytek UK are an extremely happy crew, I would say. They were very pleased with their contribution to Crysis 2, and we have very ambitious plans for Crytek UK. The studio is now up to 85 people, with nice new offices! [laughs] The main thing is that the team are having a lot of fun – that’s the most important thing to us.

Are you giving Crytek UK the space to do their own work now, or will they be used for more collaboration?
The way the studio is set up means we don’t have to tell them what to do – the thinking is more about what we [Crytek management] can do to help them get on with their own work. We come to mutual conclusions on projects, and I think at E3 this year – or just after – we are going to make a big announcement that I think people will be happy about. I think the gaming scene and the UK scene are going to be very pleased with the new project they’re working on.
Source: http://www.develop-online.net/features/1152/The-Crytek-way

I'm pretty sure OPM have a god awful rumour record, mainly because they'll just look at headlines for that month and take a punt on them happening - even if they've been debunked before the magazine goes to print.

DaBuddaDa

How much you wanna bet, if this is Timesplitters 4, it will be 'gritty,' 'dark,' oo-rah and full of military imagery?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
All I want is to shoot space monkey zombies. Is that so much to ask?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Gravijah said:
STOP FUCKING WITH ME, DAMN IT. STOP WITH THE RUMORS. :'(

Agreed.

I would be very excited if it's really happening, but at this point I'm not getting my hopes up.

Bumhead

Banned
I need this.

I also need it to be on PC. This talk about it being a next gen game is a horrible, horrible rumour.

DaBuddaDa said:
Albeit, I'm not sure how they would make gun-wielding monkeys dark, gritty or serious. I'd like to see them try for unintentional hilarity.

Actually, making it super serious, but having all the main characters being cute monkeys would be hilarious.

legacyzero

Banned
EatChildren said:
All I want is to shoot space monkey zombies. Is that so much to ask?

THIS. The beauty of Timesplitters. A mixture of awesome/WTF?/LOL/T-shirts with "SLUT" logos/monkeys/zombies/ and more WTF?

charsace said:
Now we need a Perfect Dark Sequel too. Please. :(
My heart hurts knowing this probably wont happen :(

[Nintex]

charsace said:
Now we need a Perfect Dark Sequel too. Please. :(
They've cancelled/redesigned/re-prototyped the last 3 attempts. If it's ever made it'll be some sort of miracle.

Gravijah said:
This is the thread for TimeSplitters fans to get hyped up and then to have their hearts crushed. Perfect Dark fans can go here.
Nope all Rare fans can come join us here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=421821

I've brought cake for the funeral.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
EatChildren and I were just talking about this old rumor.

Xbox 720 likely at E3 2012, Crytek on board
TimeSplitters 4 in development for next Xbox and PlayStation.

Microsoft is gearing up to announce the successor to the Xbox 360 at E3 2012, and Crytek is already developing a new TimeSplitters game for the next generation of consoles, VideoGamer.com can reveal.

Specifications for the new machine have not been finalised, but Crytek is using Microsoft's DirectX 11 as the current basis for next-generation development. Tessellation, multithreaded rendering, and compute shaders are the three headlining features for DirectX 11.

The Crysis 2 developer says that Microsoft will announce the existence of a new Xbox within the next 12 months, hinting that a likely E3 2012 reveal. Crytek believes that Microsoft will announce and launch its new machine ahead of rival Sony, though the developer is also investing resources into next-generation PlayStation development.

The information was detailed to VideoGamer.com by a high-ranking industry source at Crytek, who stated that TimeSplitters 4 is currently being demonstrated internally, is being built with CryEngine 3, and was being shown privately in video form at E3 2011.

Crytek UK, who produced the other three games in the series as Free Radical, is still handling the development.

Both Microsoft and Crytek declined to comment.

The source reports that the graphics on TimeSplitters 4 are noticeably improved over current generation technology, with the DX11 tessellation effects allegedly having a huge impact on the visuals. Crytek believes that the game - and CryEngine 3 itself - will be seen as the cornerstone of next-generation development.

Crytek has invested heavily in DirectX 11 development primarily to focus on the new consoles, with the upcoming DX11 patch for the PC version of Crysis 2 being used internally as a benchmark of anticipated hardware trends.

As for the game itself, the new TimeSplitters is reported to focus on the series' branching paths and exploratory nature, with sandbox-style gameplay elements a big priority. The current goal is for levels to feature multiple routes that lead to the same overall conclusion.
http://www.videogamer.com/news/xbox_720_likely_at_e3_2012_crytek_on_board.html

Since the Xbox 720 is rumored to be launching in Fall 2013, and Timesplitters 4 is the game they're rumored to be using to sell CryEngine 3 for next-gen development, it would make perfect sense to unveil it now.

Most teams work on a two year development cycle, and any team releasing a Fall 2011 title would be among the first teams to release a next generation game, so Crytek would need to try and sell these teams CryEngine 3 right now so they could start making the next game as soon as their current game goes gold.

[Nintex]

Nirolak said:
EatChildren and I were just talking about this old rumor.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/xbox_720_likely_at_e3_2012_crytek_on_board.html

Since the Xbox 720 is rumored to be launching in Fall 2013, and Timesplitters 4 is the game they're rumored to be using to sell CryEngine 3 for next-gen development, it would make perfect sense to unveil it now.

Most teams work on a two year development cycle, and any team releasing a Fall 2011 title would be among the first teams to release a next generation game, so Crytek would need to try and sell these teams CryEngine 3 right now so they could start making the next game as soon as their current game goes gold.
Chris Seavor tweeted that the rumor was 'bullshit' when it emerged. Since he's still close with his old co-workers and worked for Rare up to november 2010 he would've known about both the 720 and TimeSplitters 4.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
[Nintex] said:
Chris Seavor tweeted that the rumor was 'bullshit' when it emerged. Since he's still close with his old co-workers and worked for Rare up to november 2010 he would've known about both the 720 and TimeSplitters 4.
To which part?

So far we have like five different sources pointing to Xbox 720 at E3 2012, and Rare has since been heavily buried in terms of importance at Microsoft, so honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft didn't tell them.

legacyzero

Banned
[Nintex] said:

Which part? The next gen part?

Oh, and can we have a TS2 and TS Future perfect HD port with that?

V_Ben

Banned
Nirolak said:
To which part?

So far we have like five different sources pointing to Xbox 720 at E3 2012, and Rare has since been heavily buried in terms of importance at Microsoft, so honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft didn't tell them.

Likely the Timesplitters 4 part. At least, the part about Timesplitters 4 being for next gen consoles. If anything, Seavor probably knows people working at Crytek UK, so there's that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Moobabe said:
If this is exclusive to any console I will cry.
If they're actually trying to use it as an engine selling tech demo, being multiplatform is kind of important going into this generation.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
[Nintex] said:
I think this is reconcilable by this statement from Eurogamer:

Eurogamer said:
Microsoft is rumoured to be preparing a reveal of its next Xbox at E3 2012. Eurogamer has recently had this claim backed up by a number of game industry sources.

Eurogamer has also heard a 2014 release of the next Xbox was planned by Microsoft, but this has now been brought forward to 2013 as a result of Nintendo's confirmed 2012 launch of the Wii U.

Additionally, sources have indicated to us that larger publishers and developers already have target specs of both the next Xbox and PlayStation to help them with their development.
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-20-new-xbox-and-playstation-4-what-to-expect-article

A PC with target specs is not a real devkit, so they're not working with the Xbox 720 directly. Also, you technically don't even need that to make a game that vaguely targets next gen to try and sell your engine.

[Nintex]

Nirolak said:
I think this is reconcilable by this statement from Eurogamer:

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-20-new-xbox-and-playstation-4-what-to-expect-article

A PC with target specs is not a real devkit, so they're not working with the Xbox 720 directly. Also, you technically don't even need that to make a game that vaguely targets next gen to try and sell your engine.
On a second thought, my source is a usually drunk former Rare director with a grudge against Microsoft who rants on twitter.

Yours is a website with a credible history.

Yeah I'm going with your case.

BurningNad

WHAT

WHAT!

Oh please be true please be true please be true IT BETTER BE TRUE

Mulligan said:
ONLINE VIRUS FTMFW!!
They could just release TS2HD with it intact and i'd be all over it like a loincloth.

Motherfucking THIS

Top Bottom