• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Condition Thief in spvp is disgusting.

I set up two needle traps one in front of the other and wait nearby for some to approach the point.

They hit the first one, try to heal then move forward a bit only to hit the second one with their heal down most of time.

Then I move in for the kill.

Azzurri

Does anyone play Tempest? It was my first main, but I've changed to Guardian and enjoy it, but I'd like a second main to play with too.

How are Tempest now? I know Weaver is coming next week, but they look pretty confusing to play because of that weaving mechanic make it seem like it's gonna be a difficult profession to play.

Condition Thief in spvp is disgusting.

I set up two needle traps one in front of the other and wait nearby for some to approach the point.

They hit the first one, try to heal then move forward a bit only to hit the second one with their heal down most of time.

Then I move in for the kill.

It's pretty gross. I got obliterated by one in Spvp last night. If the guy wasn't terrible at dealing with kiting and torn between holding the point and trying to kill me I would have lost my subsequent rematches against him. It's practically instant death to get anywhere near one. The constant evading is really had to deal with as well. It hard just trying to land an immob or stun to make sure my attacks actually land.

I want to try it.

Ashodin

not just that, they instituted an upvoting system, reporting system, and other stuff like that. Hopefully this should weed out a lot of comments that are toxic.

Haha

Does anyone play Tempest? It was my first main, but I've changed to Guardian and enjoy it, but I'd like a second main to play with too.

How are Tempest now? I know Weaver is coming next week, but they look pretty confusing to play because of that weaving mechanic make it seem like it's gonna be a difficult profession to play.
I've been playing Tempest in the HoT metas. The Fresh Air trait is the only one that matters. Having the power of Meteor Shower every 5-6 seconds is fun.

Spyware

Can some kind soul explaiin why copper fed salvage packs are better than the blue/green packs?
Copper-Fed is simply an infinite Basic Salvage Kit. Just like all the infinite gathering tools (they work as Orichalcum tools).
The fact that you don't have to bring extras (which would take up bag space) or not do that and risk running out of uses in the middle of nowhere is what makes people buy them :)

Azzurri

I've been playing Tempest in the HoT metas. The Fresh Air trait is the only one that matters. Having the power of Meteor Shower every 5-6 seconds is fun.

Are Tempest/Ele top DPS or close to it. As much as I like my Guardian it seems a slower killing stuff in open world PvE.

Another question do you have to complete the living world season in order to play them? So do I need to finish season 2 in order to play season 3? Or as long as I buy it I'm good?

Massicot

Are Tempest/Ele top DPS or close to it. As much as I like my Guardian it seems a slower killing stuff in open world PvE.

Another question do you have to complete the living world season in order to play them? So do I need to finish season 2 in order to play season 3? Or as long as I buy it I'm good?

"top dps" is a bit hard to just assign to one class, because it depends on how big the target is, what boons you have and how often, and the like. For instance, guards have some great DPS benchmarks right now but a lot of that depends on running the trait Retribution with a high percentage of Retal uptime which you likely won't have without a chrono helping you out or such. In a raid setting you can usually assume a high percentage uptime of 25 might and alacrity/quickness but out in the open world you can't really assume anything.

That said, Guard has one of the best burst-dps in the game. You really shouldn't have much too much trouble killing stuff with them. I actually like guard as my "open world main" because it has a relatively low skill ceiling in that respect. Here's a simple rundown.

Equip Zeal and run Zealous Blade and Symbolic Avenger. The rest I'll let you pick based on your preference. Sitting on Bane Signet is always a good choice. I prefer the quickness shout "feel my wrath" just to pull everything off quicker.

Equip your favorite weapon set in one slot and your greatsword in the other. So have your greatsword ready on swap. Remember that every weapon has a symbol skill.

When you see a group of enemies:

"Feel My Wrath"
Lay down your symbol
switch to greatsword
GS 5 to pull enemies into your symbol
GS 4 - another symbol
GS 2 = Spin to win
Mop up

(Note that the Hammer symbol is on the auto attack and you wont always be able to easily place it.)

Obviously this is just supposed to be a general idea and not a law..you could start in greatsword and lay the symbols in the other order if you prefer or make other changes but the general idea is that not a whole lot in the open world will survive for very long standing on top of two symbols and your greatsword 2. Depending on what you like running you can bring something like a trap if you're running dragonhunter on top of the blob of enemies that you've pulled together with GS5. And with Zealous blade, you'll even heal up during the dps burst.

With this all said, Tempest is a stellar DPS class, but is just generally a lot harder to survive on compared to a Guardian/DH. I just can't talk about it as much since I normally don't run it.

---

You can play LS3 without LS2. There's no requisite episode completion or something like that.

SourBear

Banned
There was also a person on reddit that collected raid parses from people and it shows that Elementalist DPS isn't as awesome as people think it is. Don't get me wrong. It is still a great DPS class.. but because of the difficulty of the rotation required to eek out every last drop of performance from the class it is next to impossible to do in an actual raid setting vs a standing still golem where a lot of these rotations are devised. Engineer also.

Also interesting from these parses is that Revenant condi DPS is a lot better than people give it credit for and the DPS rotation for Revenant condi is pretty simple. It largely involves just spamming two skills.

And it should be no surprise that Daredevil is insane high DPS.

In general with MMOs, but in my experience especially gw2, you have to keep in mind that the vast majority of people suck at the game. like really suck. Like 10-50% of max performance should be expected of players. So when you talk about what classes are good or high dps, you need to qualify the question as theoretical dps or actual real life dps numbers. If you're good at the game, it doesn't matter much, but if you find yourself fumbling with a thief -which let's be honest is pretty braindead- don't bother looking at benchmarks and just play what you're most comfortable with, cause it won't do a whole lot regardless.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I should really be doing Chuka Champawat since by the time PoF comes those HoT maps will be barren.

With that said apparently there's a thing about LFG griefing lately?

WoodenPotatoes - What does Path of Fire fail to deliver?

Cantha.

CTRL + F

xD

In all seriousness though, yes Build Templates are sorely needed. It's interesting- The meta game is has become awesome, and we have more useable and unique builds for every class and game type than ever before.
But the templates are not just surface UI. It needs to be deeply rooted into your fashion wars aspect, your skill bar, your traits, stats.

And I'd like presets. Presets that you can rename, delete (if you want to make your own from scrap), but it would be nice with a WvW, Open World, Farmer, Story, DMG, AOE and so on.
And I want build templates to be an invisible wallet. So once I put the gear into a preset that I am not equipping it's hidden. It's not taking space in my inventory. It gives me a place to use all my quirky ascended and exotic stat gear I've gotten from various places.

Adventures? Not sure I agree. The gameplay is just not deep enough to facilitate the sort of replay they are hoping for. Adventures mechanics feel clunky, and have stiff animations and the skill ceiling is not very satisfying.

New Race? I understand the sentiment, but look- Let's face it. The way armor has been handled in the game has been its biggest problem. To this day, Charr and Asura armor design is a nightmare.
I am and have always been unhappy with the quality and amount of awesome new armors they've released, so I think a new race two genders is just going to make the problem worse.
I look at the new armors for PoF and there is none of the new zone armor sets that appeal to me, just like there was any worthwhile in HoT armor wise.
A new Race doesn't come with new gameplay. A class like Rev does.
Sure, 20 levels of personal story might seem nice, but then you hit past lvl 20 and it folds into the same outdated zhaitan main story. it's just not worth it for a starter zone.

Finally got caught up with the story and finished off LS3 in time for the expansion. Seemed like a lot of characters got hit with the stupid stick during those episodes, but oh well. Deadeye was my unexpected favorite from the test weekend, and I also enjoyed Firebrand and Holosmith. Mirage didn't really click with me, still like Chronomancer more. All in all, I'm really and waiting for PoF to drop on the 22nd!

-Opaque-

What does Path of Fire fail to deliver?

Snip

Agree with you here. I'll add that I like the idea of adding more low level zones to the game but they don't need to put a new race in to do that.

Honestly the thing that I am most disappointed about is them not bringing back the Dervish, especially now that I have gone back to mine on GW1 for a bit to avoid burnout prior to launch. It's perhaps assuming too much but I feel like them not doing it now means I'll never get my favorite GW1 profession :'( I guess it's somewhat understandable as it would mean adding scythes to the game, but still.

SourBear

Banned
I doubt very much they will add more classes to the game.

I'm hoping we get more weapon types though. And if there is another expansion that is probably the one to do it in because what weapon can they give warriors now? What are they missing?

Give us great axes. Necromancer with a great axe. Ohhh yea.

Only issue with adding a weapon type is well, you have to reskin/remodel it for every last weapon set out there. Which is probably a lot of work to do, to be honest.

SourBear

Banned
Only issue with adding a weapon type is well, you have to reskin/remodel it for every last weapon set out there. Which is probably a lot of work to do, to be honest.

There is weapon sets that don't have certain weapons in it.. so why would they have to do this? I don't really see this as an issue. Those old weapon sets just won't have that option.

-Opaque-

Yeah, this is part of the reason I see adding weapon types even less likely than adding another profession. Of course the "simple" solution that gets mentioned is above ground water weapons, which could be cool, could have even allowed for adding the Paragon too.

SourBear

Banned
Yeah, this is part of the reason I see adding weapon types even less likely than adding another profession. Of course the "simple" solution that gets mentioned is above ground water weapons, which could be cool, could have even allowed for adding the Paragon too.

Having some artist bang out some skins for some weapons is a lot less risky than adding a whole new profession bar far.

-Opaque-

Having some artist bang out some skins for some weapons is a lot less risky than adding a whole new profession bar far.

I believe it is part but not all of the reason, sticking to the art asset front it would also require new effects, animations, icons etc. But the way I see it to do it right they would have to add at least 1 new weapon to each profession at once, as unlike adding a new profession which leaves everyone on the even ground of "go make a new character and play it" I imagine it would leave people who didn't play the profession(s) that don't get weapons feeling shafted and given the design of the game they wouldn't just add a single weapon that all classes use which compounds it a bit.
Of course it's ultimately the same amount of skills added to the game regardless of the total weapon count and 45 new skills is certainly less than a new class would introduce but still not an insubstantial risk, though it's fair to say it's a risk that can be more tightly controlled. The last issue I see related to this is talents and I feel like adding new weapons without talents that work with them would end up feeling bland once the novelty wears off and would also leave them less versatile than the existing weapons.

Given all of that the most obvious solution is adding them alongside new specs, elite or otherwise and once again that introduces more risk. In my opinion doing it without this seems like it would feel pretty clunky, but I could very well be overthinking the whole thing.

Auraela

Banned
Agree with you here. I'll add that I like the idea of adding more low level zones to the game but they don't need to put a new race in to do that.

Honestly the thing that I am most disappointed about is them not bringing back the Dervish, especially now that I have gone back to mine on GW1 for a bit to avoid burnout prior to launch. It's perhaps assuming too much but I feel like them not doing it now means I'll never get my favorite GW1 profession :'( I guess it's somewhat understandable as it would mean adding scythes to the game, but still.

one thing i loved about guild wars 1 was the new professions paragon and dervish really were amazing loved paragons more than dervish myself but dervish was great too.

one thing i loved about guild wars 1 was the new professions paragon and dervish really were amazing loved paragons more than dervish myself but dervish was great too.
I wasn't huge on dervish, personally, but the skills and scythe they added to the game were great. I loved using them on my warrior. Carved my way through 95% of the hard mode content on my W/D with n/rt hero backups.

Boss Doggie

At some point I thought the Chuka Champawat journals are gonna be a hassle but they're pretty straightforward...

right?

The developer of ArcDPS made a Legal Build Templates Addon . It's already been stated to be legal and that several members of Arenanet worked together with Delta to make sure it is legal.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/704oem/build_templates_actual_release/

ChrisCleary said:
About 2-3 months ago I asked /u/deltaconnected to take down his previously created Build Templates addon to ArcDPS. At the time it was in violation of our rules to distribute it and it had key issues with it when it came to functionality and interaction with the game client.
This release is the result of a multi-month coordination to get his Build Templates addon into a place where I can green-light it for release. Unlike DPS meters, Build Templates is a much more passive user interface addon and thus it could be individually allowed to release outside of the DPS meter Terms of Service rules restriction. If future developers are interested in working with me to create addons, please reach out to me and we can chat.
I'm green-lighting this due to the developer's trustworthiness after months of interaction and willingness to add key restrictions and functionality changes to accommodate my push to keep addons away from becoming a "must have to win" situation (WvW restrictions were not outlined in his post, but they are there along with others).
In their current state, /u/DeltaConnected 's Build templates are green-lit and safe to use by users (in terms of violating the Terms of Service). I've asked him to run any functionality changes by me before releasing, so hopefully we don't need to worry about things changing in the future in terms of "safe to use".
This is officially unsupported, and ArenaNet will not be able to offer any support for this addon or issues that occur due to use of this addon.
I'd love to experiment with this and get this running, but I have to head to work.

Mechazawa

Don't need a new weapon class if you're making a fist/kick class.

GW2 will forever tease me with that sweet ass door kicking animation.

Boss Doggie

Well that was bullshit.

Tier IV of Chuka and Champawat then bam, three secret collectathons.

EDIT

Oh god no, not Griffonrook Run

Massicot

God it's such a slog to get 250 blood rubies. ;_;

Yea, blood rubies seem one of the hardest to straight up farm. Best I can think of is to just do the dailies and maybe the Unbound Guardian if it's up. The fact that you have to wait around for Justicar or UG to come up (or luck into them already being up) can be frustrating though.

God it's such a slog to get 250 blood rubies. ;_;

I did WvW Bloodstone Fen track, gives 50 rubies with the right boosters and a decent WvW server, a track can me done in 7 hours..

My WvW server is TC, it's pure crap and i got 2 tracks done in 14 hours of game play.. i made Aurora last week, if I was doing BF dailes and mining i would be done probably today lol...

Can also do PvP track if WvW ain't your thing...

Boss Doggie

Oh man, that was a daily puzzle, like, a week ago. It was the first and only time I completed it because people were porting. That's some rotten timing.

Thankfully I just need to reach the end without opening the bomb, I'll just try and watch a video.

Boss Doggie

Whew, Chuka Champawat IV done. Griffonrook Run is actually pretty easy when you're not carrying a bomb. Really the only hard part of the collection, barring the crafting, is Vinewrath because of time. But man this legendary is more expensive because of the mats.

Now on to the actual legendary lol

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Wanting to get back into GW2 with the wife. We played through the original story content and all that lovely stuff and picked up of Heart of Thorns, however we barely played it.

Any good guides on how to best approach HoT content? It is going to be a steep learning curve to get back into this game I feel.

Wanting to get back into GW2 with the wife. We played through the original story content and all that lovely stuff and picked up of Heart of Thorns, however we barely played it.

Any good guides on how to best approach HoT content? It is going to be a steep learning curve to get back into this game I feel.

I think it depends a little bit on which part of the content you want to focus on. If you want to unlock and mess around with the elite specializations that came with HoT, your best bet would be to jump on this week and see if you can find a map running a hero point/mastery point train. Those will probably dry up in a big way after the 22nd as the player base migrates to PoF though.

Story is fairly straightforward, though navigating the maps in HoT is a pain when you're first starting out, don't know how to get to various points, and don't have the needed masteries unlocked. Certain maps are more difficult to get through than others (looking at you Tangled Depths). The things you'll probably want to focus on ASAP are gliding (at least until lean techniques) and Itzel lore for bouncing mushrooms. Hope this helps!

Aquila

Anybody know if pre-ordering PoF through Amazon nets the max-level boost/shared inventory slot too? Or should I just pre-purchase in-game?

Pro

Finished Frostfang tonight. Now my Norn Warrior is really looking the part.

ZD1qr2U.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom