• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you react to a Metroid reboot w/ a black Samus

RetroMG

I'd be slightly annoyed at the changing of a classic and beloved character from my childhood, but that would be the case no matter what change they made. Overall though, no, I wouldn't be too bothered.

opricnik

Banned
I don't really care about metroid but I'd love it for the meltdowns.

These comments should be bannable. I seriously dont know what they even purpose in every fucking thread like this.

"oh that ? i dont even played those games/watched that movies lol but i will take for meltdowns".

fuck that bullshit

Jrs3000

Actually rather than rebooting why not introduce a new hunter taking the spotlight that's black and follow their story. Samus can still be samus and cross paths with this new character.

creatchee

Oh really.gif

I can tell you without a shred of doubt that the only time I've heard the term "African American", it has came from the mouth of an American... Even a few times when the "African American" person in question wasn't even American. I grew up in Scotland, lived in Canada and now live in Japan. People outside of America don't use the term because it's not relevant to them. The key word being American.

There are an alarming number of people out there who think that black people only exist in America and Africa - I shit you not.

mavo

Banned
Yay, female objectification as a reward?

I never said Yay, is you that was implying that Metroid other M was so bad compared to the rest of the games, like if the series was a paragon of feminism that Other M happened to ruin.

Also important point about Metroid:
The ethnicity of the character has no bearing on the games at all.
It is never referenced in any distinctive way, no characters (when there are ones) would interact any differently with Samus at all.
The only important part of Samus is that:

• she's a female human from a space colony
  • she lost her parents to a space pirate attack
  • she was raised and modified genetically by bird people
  • she wears a kickass armor
That's it.
There's no real reason why the character needs to be blonde or white.

That's my read on it. It's not like the Galactic Federation is hardly lacking in diversity, though I'd like to see much more of that, too. I understand the critique of a heretofore established character (originally white with red hair, then white with blonde until now), but at the VERY least we should have more. A good compromise is to have women of color in the Galactic Federation Fleet (Marine) Forces, as well as being represented in the government-sponsored bounty hunter trade, with 'aliens' abounds, too, as the Federation isn't just humans or just humanoids.

spons

Gold Member
That's like making famous black characters white all of a sudden under the pretense of doing a "reboot". That wouldn't fare and this wouldn't either.

A new IP with a black character I would support. And no, I don't mean inklings Nintendo.

Related note: I think Link felt very comfortable crossdressing in BotW and maybe it could be a permanent thing of a drag queen Link or maybe he might transition next game. That'd be cool.

Tunahead

I never said Yay, is you that was implying that Metroid other M was so bad compared to the rest of the games, like if the series was a paragon of feminism that Other M happened to ruin.

Yeah, Zero Suit Samus is genuinely fucking awful. And people don't even remember that's a redesign! Samus used to have more sensible everything!

Oh really.gif

I can tell you without a shred of doubt that the only time I've heard the term "African American", it has came from the mouth of an American... Even a few times when the "African American" person in question wasn't even American. I grew up in Scotland, lived in Canada and now live in Japan. People outside of America don't use the term because it's not relevant to them. The key word being American.

Seriously, in my experience at least. Certainly on GAF.

Wouldn't it be better to introduce a new bounty hunter?
Would be easy for a zelda game, as the hero is a reincarnation.

to answer your question. I wouldn't be offended.

Zelda doesn't change what Link looks like though, even if it's always reincarnation.

I don't know if I want to deal with a suddenly hyperactive space police faction, tbh.

White Samus Mode might need to be unlocked from the start for us casuals.

But would there be an in-universe mid-game option to change, or would that go too far

If it's a good Metroid game I could care less. If Retro is making it she can be any ethnicity they choose. Just give me a new Metroid for my switch please.

pvpness

That would be dope af. Samus is already my favorite video game character so I love to see her in lots of different representations.

MrFortyFive

I wouldn't really care but it seems unnecessary. If Nintendo wanted a black female to star in a Metroid-like game, I would much prefer they actually make a new IP than just changing Samus's skin color. ...honestly though I just want more new IPs from Nintendo.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Samus isn't much of a character anyway and she has nothing to do with why I love Metroud games so make her whatever colour the player wants as far as I'm concerned.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
There are an alarming number of people out there who think that black people only exist in America and Africa - I shit you not.

Yes. That I'm aware of. But I'd wager that most of the people with that particular train of thought are American, since people in other countries would have surely seen black people in their own countries.

Then again... Idiots will be idiots, and they exist everywhere.

Megatron

Considering you never see Samus outside her suit till either the very beginning or end of her games. I'd rather them make a new character altogether than rebooting her. The games aren't called Samus Super Adventure, and there is a bunch of cool narrative real estate in the Metroid Universe.

Yeah, actually given how the original game used the reveal of Samus as a girl as a surprise twist, they could do the same here. You think you are playing as Samus the whole time, and then at the end, a CO calls and says thank you for your help _______ and she takes off her helmet to reveal a black woman.

orava

MP0kIZw.gif

Pointless. That's like Gordon Freeman without the beard.

Ran rp

why do people always go for black and not other non white races when starting these discussions. sometimes it's like y'all are just using blackness to get the biggest possible rise out of racists and those who hate change (and r probably racist if they react that strongly).

no thought was even put into the question

just "hey.... black ;)"

Mesoian

rSpcN0g.png

Say a future Metroid game is marketed as a reboot, and at the end, Seamus Samus removes her helmet revealing she's a black woman. How would that make you feel?

What if she were a different character with Chico armor, and never outright named throughout the game?

EDIT: definition added because term is not universally understood the same way

I have a black Samus.

Wouldn't shock me at all.

Like, you can argue otherwise pretty easily...but I think for a very long time, people actually did regard Metroid, the series, as a paragon of feminism in video games.

I don't give a shit as long as she's alone on a weird planet and the game isn't constantly telling you where to go

Gimmie that sweet sweet isolation

RuhRo

This would be a small but terrific thing. Suited Samus is the main iconography of the series, which wouldn't have to change. I doubt there'd be much backlash and they'd get a lot of positive press.

Not that they'll ever do it. Does Nintendo have a single black human character in its main stable of intellectual properties?

Eolz

Why does it bother you so much that people with little representation in video games want to see themselves in their favorite games?

It bothers me that people want to change established characters. Same for Link, Lara, etc.
More power to people wanting a new black bounty hunter in Metroid if they want.

That's like making famous black characters white all of a sudden under the pretense of doing a "reboot". That wouldn't fare and this wouldn't either.

A new IP with a black character I would support. And no, I don't mean inklings Nintendo.

It wouldn't be like that at all, because what you bring up happens much more often than the idea OP proposed.

MikeyB

Why would this even matter? Samus Aran could be a human shaped bag full of salmon and I would not care. She is basically a non entity without a personality in the good Metroid games.

Is the gameplay alright? Well, alright then.

That being said, a black Nathan Drake or an Afghani Solid Snake would be interesting.

Platy

it's a tricky question, i have seen many black samus fanarts that make me go like "daamn, this is great!", but i think the character might have been long ingrained as caucasian, it's hard to accept unless they do some marvel styled "ultimate universe" thing, or just make her a different bounty hunter.

But yeah, it'd be neat.

But that is EXACTLY the point !

The first metroid was a bait to play as a woman because everyone had been ingrained as playing as robots and men to even consider that the character could be a woman since she didn't had a bow on her head.

Making the reboots "bait for playing as an even smaller minority than you expect" makes perfect sense with the soul of the first metroid

Reyben

As a white nationalist and gamergate veteran i would find it completely unacceptable for a multitude of reasons.

Samus should be a white male.

And straight.

Uh, this feels like a loaded question.

I'll take whatever, including any changes they make to samus if it means we get metroid prime 4 but I'm not entirely sure why changing samus skin colour would be a benefit to anyone over simply making a new character.

Top Bottom