• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls delisted, becoming Skullgirls Encore (see post #288 for latest updates)

RedSwirl

And this is (part of the reason) why self-publishing on next gen consoles is a great thing

Exactly what I came in here to say. LZ should just self-publish a version on PS4 and Xbox One. Can you really call digital games with these kinds of restrictions on PS3 and 360 indie at all? They're made by small teams but still effectively under the control of publishers.

I'm sure Konami could have handled this situation more professionally. Hell, I'm sure anybody could have handled this more professionally.

Will it come back up on PSN again in the future, or am I better off buying it now? Also, will this affect the online mode or anything on the game?

geomon

I'm conflicted. I haven't bought the game yet and I've always wanted to but kept putting it off, however, the issue is this. My PC isn't a gaming PC, it's a 7 year old desktop that's used for internet browsing. So my only recourse to buy the game is PS3 but I don't want to give Konami money for their bullshit actions here.

If I wait until it's delisted, is there a chance it'll be relisted later without Konami or am I screwed here?

Silky

Banned
I'm conflicted. I haven't bought the game yet and I've always wanted to but kept putting it off, however, the issue is this. My PC isn't a gaming PC, it's a 7 year old desktop that's used for internet browsing. So my only recourse to buy the game is PS3 but I don't want to give Konami money for their bullshit actions here.

If I wait until it's delisted, is there a chance it'll be relisted later without Konami or am I screwed here?

Of course the game's being relisted if the patch doesn't go through by the 17th, in January. You can wait until then.

Same thing I said when I saw it, years ago.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Exactly what I came in here to say. LZ should just self-publish a version on PS4 and Xbox One. Can you really call digital games with these kinds of restrictions on PS3 and 360 indie at all? They're made by small teams but still effectively under the control of publishers.

Problem with that is that Lab Zero made promises to backers on those platforms during their kickstarter.

So they aren't really in a position to abandon those platforms

Mr. X

I'm sure Konami could have handled this situation more professionally. Hell, I'm sure anybody could have handled this more professionally.

Will it come back up on PSN again in the future, or am I better off buying it now? Also, will this affect the online mode or anything on the game?

It will be coming back to PSN/XBL without Konami as a publisher, just a matter of when. It could happen before Dec 17 if everything goes well, it could happen in the middle of January.

Steam and JP PSN version are without Konami and are safe.

alstein

Your old PC should be able to run the game- seriously.

I see nothing wrong with telling folks to buy the PC version over the console version- you're still buying the game and that means Mike Z can exist on ramen a little bit longer :( . He so deserves steak for Skullgirls.

Minimum:
Processor: Dual-core CPU
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: Intel HD3000
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 2 GB available space

These are the reqs. Only thing I think you wouldn't have is the RAM.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

Is there a Skullgirls PC demo you can try? I've been able to run the game at 1280x720 at 60 FPS (with 3D backgrounds turned off) on an older HP DM1Z (netbook with AMD E350 dual core processor) and on my recently-purchased ASUS T100 Win8 tablet hybrid.

Mr. X

Can I get this added to the OP

via Skullheart

What you can do -
  1. Please, don't talk shit about Konami online. It isn't going to change anything, makes us look bad, and makes them think that they've made the right decision. Nothing good will be achieved by ripping into the powerless intern managing Konami's twitter account, etc.
  2. Test out the latest Beta build if you have it. Mike has very little time to test the build before submitting for QA (Monday) if we want to prevent the game from disappearing after getting pulled. If you know how, using the -log option to run the game may be useful.
  3. Update: The best way to let Mike know about any issues with the Beta is to comment on the Patch Notes update on Steam, or else send a PM @Mike_Z on here [Skullheart].
  4. Keep playing, and keep having fun. This isn't the end of the world.
  5. If you want to buy a copy of the game to help support Lab Zero, buy the Steam version. The PS3 and 360 versions won't result in any extra money for L0 at this point, and Konami gets a cut from those.

RedSwirl

Problem with that is that Lab Zero made promises to backers on those platforms during their kickstarter.

So they aren't really in a position to abandon those platforms

They definitely shouldn't abandon PS3 and 360, but you have to admit the way a lot of "indie games" were handled on those consoles nearly defeated the purpose of being indie in the first place and created a lot of restrictions and complications that shouldn't exist for digital games.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
WTF Konami....

If you want to buy a copy of the game to help support Lab Zero, buy the Steam version. The PS3 and 360 versions won't result in any extra money for L0 at this point, and Konami gets a cut from those.

brb buying some copies to use as gifts later. Will give one of the copies to GAF. Quote this post to get it.

The Cowboy

This is really kinda crappy on Konami's part, it really seems they went out t screw over the game as much as possible.

Ravidrath

To clarify...

This was going to happen at some point, because the business relationship with Konami was dissolved to allow patches to move ahead.

The parts that are shady are:

- Filing the request without conferring with Autumn or Lab Zero to see if we could even transition in time

- Lying to Sony and to Autumn, saying the other said moving it back was impossible​

Their reason for doing this is because the lawsuit with Konami over DefJam Rapstar is over, and they're trying to stop dealing with Autumn forever as soon as possible. There's a lot of bad blood there.

That said, we are pretty forcefully requesting that the delisting be pushed back to 12/31 to buy us time, and I think we're going to get that.

We're going as fast as we can, but there's a lot that needs to happen:

- Get a new Communications ID for online service, which takes a few days since it must be issued from Japan

- Before we can do that we need to get an IP whitelisting issue sorted out with Autumn

- Set up the leaderboards and trophies again, since this will effectively be a "new game" as far as PSN is concerned

- Get everyone's existing purchases to carry over to the "new" version

- Get Autumn a publishing agreement for SCEE and other territories

- Get the latest build submitted and tested once we have the Communications ID and leaderboards, etc. set up​

If everything goes perfectly we MIGHT be able to avoid any downtime, but there is so much to do and so much of it is reliant on learning this stuff and waiting for IDs, etc. that I don't think we're going to be able to avoid any downtime in the US. Downtime in other territories will be all-but-impossible to avoid, just because we have to set up new publishing arrangements with those territories.

Yes, this sucks, but we're used to this kind of thing at this point. We shouldn't have to be, but we are. So we'll roll with it and once this incident has passed, there should be significantly less drama moving forward.

Also, just wanted to give a shout out to Shane, Roberto, Jonathan and everyone else at Sony that has helped us on this so far. We would be completely lost without them, and they've been a huge help in helping us navigate this minor crisis. Once this is resolved, we're definitely sending them tasty gifts of some kind.

I'm no fan of this game but goddamn, Konami are a piece of shit company these days. I wish I could boycott them for killing Silent Hill but I have to buy Metal Gear. Fuck you Konami, you win this time!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
To clarify...

This was going to happen at some point, because the business relationship with Konami was dissolved to allow patches to move ahead.

The parts that are shady are:

- Filing the request without conferring with Autumn or Lab Zero to see if we could even transition in time

- Lying to Sony and to Autumn, saying the other said moving it back was impossible​

Their reason for doing this is because the lawsuit with Konami over DefJam Rapstar is over, and they're trying to stop dealing with Autumn forever as soon as possible. There's a lot of bad blood there.

That said, we are pretty forcefully requesting that the delisting be pushed back to 12/31 to buy us time, and I think we're going to get that.

We're going as fast as we can, but there's a lot that needs to happen:

- Get a new Communications ID for online service, which takes a few days since it must be issued from Japan

- Before we can do that we need to get an IP whitelisting issue sorted out with Autumn

- Set up the leaderboards and trophies again, since this will effectively be a "new game" as far as PSN is concerned

- Get everyone's existing purchases to carry over to the "new" version

- Get Autumn a publishing agreement for SCEE and other territories

- Get the latest build submitted and tested once we have the Communications ID and leaderboards, etc. set up​

If everything goes perfectly we MIGHT be able to avoid any downtime, but there is so much to do and so much of it is reliant on learning this stuff and waiting for IDs, etc. that I don't think we're going to be able to avoid any downtime in the US. Downtime in other territories will be all-but-impossible to avoid, just because we have to set up new publishing arrangements with those territories.

Yes, this sucks, but we're used to this kind of thing at this point. We shouldn't have to be, but we are. So we'll roll with it and once this incident has passed, there should be significantly less drama moving forward.

Also, just wanted to give a shout out to Shane, Roberto, Jonathan and everyone else at Sony that has helped us on this so far. We would be completely lost without them, and they've been a huge help in helping us navigate this minor crisis. Once this is resolved, we're definitely sending them tasty gifts of some kind.

This should be added to the OP.

sfried

Well considering it will be rereleased, it would be a perfect time to get it on eShop as well. Glad I got the Steam version.

The Cowboy

We <3 all you guys, BTW.

Hope it all goes at least somewhat smoothly for you guys, its a great game (easily one of my fav fighters - despite the fact I suck at it :D) and deserves so much more success,

PS.
Squigly is da BOMB! (my most fav fighter ever).
tumblr_mit9ajYNk01rdlrgno1_r1_500.gif

That's odd....I can't buy the four pack as a gift? The option is greyed out.

When you buy a four-pack one of the copies is automatically assigned to your account and you get the three others as gifts, so if you already have Skullgirls I don't know if there's a way you can buy the four pack.

I honestly thought Konami couldn't do any worse than the sheer apathy they show in failing to promote games they publish, but I suppose I didn't account for the fact they could literally go out and block sales of games they've distributed. Touche, Konami.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
When you buy a four-pack one of the copies is automatically assigned to your account and you get the three others as gifts, so if you already have Skullgirls I don't know if there's a way you can buy the four pack.

There's a trick you can use:

It occurred to me earlier yesterday that the trick you can use to buy a four-pack as a gift, traders can also use to buy games that, by default, are not giftable. For example:

1kisav.jpg

Becomes:
2b6sjo.jpg

Basically:
1) In one tab, add a giftable game to your cart and click the "Purchase as a gift" button (don't go any further just yet)
2) In a second tab, add the game you wish to gift to your cart and remove the game you added previously
3) In the first tab, checkout as usual

This is how I've been able to offer cheap four-packs in the Steam thread recently (I buy them through the RU trader I've been using since Dunder shut up shop [well, there was one other dude I was buying stuff through for a short period, but since he occasionally had to stop accepting PayPal, I began looking elsewhere]).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh damn, clever.

The loophole has existed since the gifting system went live, and while Valve may eventually make the necessary backend changes to plug it, it's safe to say that the company doesn't care enough to take action against users.

Ravidrath

It's worth noting that the XBLA version may end up getting Squigly first now, because the XBLA transition will probably end up being smoother.

The reason there might be any downtime on the XBLA version is because Konami says we can't have their logos on the game for any period of time after 12/31. The problem is that it may not be possible for us to patch the logos until the transition happens on 1/1. We're investigating that with MarvelousAQL now and will submit the patch as soon as possible. But even if we can submit it now, with the holidays and certification testing, etc. it may not make it in time.

Hope you guys get this sorted out Ravi.

We will, there's no doubt about that.

It's just a matter of how quickly we can do it and how much store downtime there will be while we make this transition. I'm hoping it'll be minimal on the US side, but am a little concerned about other territories.

As helpful as Sony has been, they're even a little foggy on this stuff since we are doing something that has happened, like... twice ever before.

I always knew konami was.....crap this end generation but this just takes th damn cake for me. FFS Leave Lab Zero in peace!

Konami has fucked up so many damn times this late gen.......

But if get a 4-pack having the game already, in the inventory is gonna have 4 or 3 giftable games? Kinda obvious but I want to be sure...

It'll be the entire 4 pack as a single item, and gifter #1 would be responsible for distributing copies 2, 3 and 4.

I keep seeing people post on other sites that Mike Z deserves this, Mike Z =Karma, Mike Z just desserts.

The hell did our Mike do? I dont recall him doing anything.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I keep seeing people post on other sites that Mike Z deserves this, Mike Z =Karma, Mike Z just desserts.

What other sites?

Ask them.

Nyoro SF

"On other sites"

Without a citation backing you up, why should any complaints have any merit?

Should I suddenly value an anonymous guy popping off in a news comments section?

No articles, but people commenting. Like Shoryuken and facebook comments on some game pages. They keep mentioning Mike Z is bad and etc. Any reasons for this or just bad people wishing him the worst? :/

Silky

Banned
No articles, but people commenting. Like Shoryuken and facebook comments on some game pages. They keep mentioning Mike Z is bad and etc. Any reasons for this or just bad people wishing him the worst? :/

Commenters on Shoryuken are like the gateway to an endless den of nonsenical, idiotic and self centered stream monsters that thrive on making sure no game other than Marvel and SF get the spotlight so they can comment on how bad Marvel and SF are.

Ignore it.

Top Bottom