• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX New Screens

soultron

Banned
Newer (As of 20 December!) screens:

New-comer Alex with akimbo ice picks. (Just like COD, right?)
390021_297406946964148_112224572149054_812429_734544118_n.jpg

My personal main, Mac, filling your dark soul with liiiiight~~
405967_297406970297479_112224572149054_812430_1161757739_n.jpg

Zoe in full motocross armour and an alternate costume.
388814_297407020297474_112224572149054_812432_1204823748_n.jpg

My favourite of the bunch, very artsy. Would you like your gnar shredded, shreddeder, or shreddederest?
395127_297407000297476_112224572149054_812431_589229131_n.jpg

---

Sup dudes,

New SSX screens!

New Elise alternate costume
387682_287066184664891_112224572149054_789394_1098347659_n.jpg

New Griff alternate costume + bonus heli tap
392229_287066214664888_112224572149054_789395_2098812552_n.jpg

Bonus character, (real life) world champion snowboarder: Travis Rice
383163_287066234664886_112224572149054_789396_1845913859_n.jpg

Series favourite, Zoe
384977_287066251331551_112224572149054_789397_1121820425_n.jpg

Hype++

Also, for those who have preordered, EA SPORTS SSX Facebook is randomly giving away 50 SSX shirts (4 variants) if you simply email them a pic/scan of your preorder receipt.

Salaadin

I want this game so bad.

Hopefully they give us some of the goofy alternate costumes like the other SSX games did.

LaneDS

Really pumped.

Wonder if/when we'll start to see the song tracklist for this game (any word on custom soundtracks, on that note?).

soultron

Banned
I want this game so bad.

Hopefully they give us some of the goofy alternate costumes like the other SSX games did.

Phil Kollar said:
Batty says the future of the series could be DLC focused, with new tracks and mountains, or they could do n SSX Tricky-style version 1.5 depending on how the players react. Either way, the sun is finally rising over this long-dormant mountain, and the future looks bright.

The SSX team really likes what Criterion did with Burnout Paradise and their year of DLC (a lot of which was free or only timed for-pay, IIRC!) so expect a lot of bonus content after the game releases.

Todd Batty also said this, "We certainly hope that it's the beginning of the franchise being back again...We're hoping we can work on SSX for some time."

LaneDS said:
Wonder if/when we'll start to see the song tracklist for this game (any word on custom soundtracks, on that note?).

Custom soundtracks are in and will be remixed on the fly like the packed-in tunes. Expect a lot of audio trickery going into these remixes. The audio engineers working on this are looking to make the remix feature insane and 35.6x crazier than previous SSX series audio remixing. They want remixing to be a style of play, and not just a feature. A confirmed tracklist hasn't dropped yet, but expect a lot of variety. The one artist you can expect, because Freddy Ouano (audio lead) has confirmed him, is Pretty Lights. (Click for a YouTube sample of Pretty Lights' music that has been used in a previous SSX trailer.)

soultron

Banned
Looks so fraking good in those shots. Has EA released pure gameplay videos yet? With the HUD and all?

There have been multiple videos of various builds at shows and press events, but nothing really official yet. I'll try and find some stuff for you.

Here's Paris Game Week 2011 (early November) footage. Remember that the game's frontend menu and HUD stuff are not final yet and the build itself is probably 1+ month old at that point: here

They will release official gameplay when everything is nearly finalized. Stuff like HUD can change very close to release (as it already has undergone numerous changes since we first saw actual gameplay) so don't get too excited and/or worked up over the small details yet.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Looks good, I like this direction of SSX.

Kaori is my main, so I look forward for more awesome adventures with her.

soultron

Banned
Does the shirts include the one with Kaori on it, I think the producer was wearing it in one of the past videos from pwned or something. Looked like a hot shirt. If only theyd sell it.

The shirt with the heli on it is so cool. I'd be down to buy that one moreso than any of the specific character shirts.

Salaadin

Does the shirts include the one with Kaori on it, I think the producer was wearing it in one of the past videos from pwned or something. Looked like a hot shirt. If only theyd sell it.

Looks like you get to pick if you win. Kaori is an option but they also specifically note that "all shirts may not be available"

I wonder if theyll accept a screenshot of it preordered on Gamestop Powerup website. I cant find my preorder slip.

reminder

I was never a big fan of the SSX series or Snowboard games in general, except for Snowboard Kids.

But somehow i'm really intrigued in the new SSX and can't wait for it. It looks really awesome.

soultron

Banned
I was never a big fan of the SSX series or Snowboard games in general, except for Snowboard Kids.

But somehow i'm really intrigued in the new SSX and can't wait for it. It looks really awesome.

Well, that's understandable as SK was more of a kart racing game than anything. You'd probably really enjoy the SSX series (specifically Tricky, the most race-heavy game in the series) as it's basically Burnout's boost mechanic (do crazy shit, get boost) on snow. Try it out! They still play great today and can be had for less than $5-10. Tricky and SSX3 (SSX3 for sure, as I still play it on my 360) are both 360 BC, IIRC.

soultron

Banned
Terrible reveal.
Game changed mid developed
No demo planned (as of yet yet)

Not too excited.
There is a demo coming. This was confirmed in July when gondee and I were in Vancouver.

The game was not changed mid-development. I get tired of restating this over and over. Marketing presented it poorly, choosing to focus solely on the new stuff (Deadly Descent events) rather than saying, "Hey, SSX fans, we're back! Look at all the old stuff we're bringing and the new stuff we're excited for you to play!" The game had been in development for 2+ years when it was revealed. It played great months ago when I got my hands on it. Fear not.

Well, that's understandable as SK was more of a kart racing game than anything. You'd probably really enjoy the SSX series (specifically Tricky, the most race-heavy game in the series) as it's basically Burnout's boost mechanic (do crazy shit, get boost) on snow. Try it out! They still play great today and can be had for less than $5-10. Tricky and SSX3 (SSX3 for sure, as I still play it on my 360) are both 360 BC, IIRC.

Tricky is not, sadly.

Salaadin

Terrible reveal.
Game changed mid developed
No demo planned (as of yet yet)

Not too excited.

I forgot that it was last years VGAs where it was revealed as Dedly Descents.
Personally, the mid development "change" is what excited me. I went from "Thats SSX?" to "THATS SSX!!!!"

Daante

IS IT CONFIRMED IF THE GAME CONTAINS THOSE THINGS THAT ADDS A MULTIPLIER TO YOUR TRICK SCORE??? (IF YOU MANAGE TO JUMP IN TO THEM WHILE DOING A TRICK), YELLOW = X2 , ORANGE =X3 , RED =X5

soultron

Banned
IS IT CONFIRMED IF THE GAME CONTAINS THOSE THINGS THAT ADDS A MULTIPLIER TO YOUR TRICK SCORE??? (IF YOU MANAGE TO JUMP IN TO THEM WHILE DOING A TRICK), YELLOW = X2 , ORANGE =X3 , RED =X5

Haven't seen or read details of this yet, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Something similar, however, is the GeoTag mechanic. You "drop" these items in the game world and they collect money as long as they exist. So, in a hypothetical situation, if you have gear that allows you to get to a really high point in the air (such as a boost board) you could "drop" your GeoTag at the apex of a gigantor jump and laugh as all of your multiplayer friends try (and fail) to grab it. Then you simply collect it whenever you like and get your money. You can hide your own GeoTags anywhere you can physically reach in the gameworld and steal other players' GeoTags.

Salaadin

Wasnt that only in Trick Mode or whatever they called it? If this has that mode, it better have those. They were colored snowflakes, I think.
I loved that mode so much. There was something so thrilling about it.

soultron

Banned
Wasnt that only in Trick Mode or whatever they called it? If this has that mode, it better have those. They were colored snowflakes, I think.

When they stacked them directly on top of each other and you managed to nail the jump so that you careened right into the top one -- FUCKING GENIUS.

LaneDS

Custom soundtracks are in and will be remixed on the fly like the packed-in tunes. Expect a lot of audio trickery going into these remixes. The audio engineers working on this are looking to make the remix feature insane and 35.6x crazier than previous SSX series audio remixing. They want remixing to be a style of play, and not just a feature. A confirmed tracklist hasn't dropped yet, but expect a lot of variety. The one artist you can expect, because Freddy Ouano (audio lead) has confirmed him, is Pretty Lights. (Click for a YouTube sample of Pretty Lights' music that has been used in a previous SSX trailer.)

Awesome. Pretty Lights will be a good fit, so I hope their other selections are equally as good.

Daante

When they stacked them directly on top of each other and you managed to nail the jump so that you careened right into the top one -- FUCKING GENIUS.

Without these or a REAL "tricky mode" with something very similar this game is not a SSX in my book.

Daante

Agree 110% , that is what SSX always have been about for me.

Trying to chase those snowflakes and at the same time trying to put togheter one hell of a combination in trick to get insane scores. This togheter with fireworks and pumping music that as a whole made you feel soooo good. Having this special enjoyment that only Tony Hawks pro skateboard 1 managed to do with me aswell.

soultron

Banned
I still can't believe how terribly the visuals of A3 have aged. If you had told me that was A2, I would've believed you. Still, the story and visual presentation were off the chain. So funny.

Im exicted for the new SSX but I havent been following news recently. Are there really no "stages" like Mercury city meltdown, tokyo megaplex etc.? Mountains are great and all but part of what made past SSX games so good was the awesome level designs with bright lights, fans spectating, and hidden shortcuts.

Satchel

Banned
Looks hot, but I dont know if a snowboarding game can really do well this day and age. Not sure there's a genuine market for it (excluding GAF which in no way represents the real world).

Hope I'm wrong though. Really liked SSX and Snow Surfers (Dreamcast) back in the day

Hmmm, not exactly what I thought a new SSX would look like. Mechanics wise it could be perfect, visually I expected something flashier with brighter colors and zanier looking characters.

soultron

Banned
Looks hot, but I dont know if a snowboarding game can really do well this day and age. Not sure there's a genuine market for it (excluding GAF which in no way represents the real world).

Hope I'm wrong though. Really liked SSX and Snow Surfers (Dreamcast) back in the day

I don't know how well Art of Flight did with revenue, but I think the movie's popularity did a lot in piquing peoples' interest in snowboarding again. Seems like as good a time as any to test interest in a snowboarding video game, if you ask me.

Top Bottom