• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumours: Durango to be called "Xbox", MS to make X-Surface portable gaming system

Status
Not open for further replies.
BOX_5.png

OK, that's beautiful. Way too elegant for the Walmart masses though.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Wait so is the X-Surface a local streaming device at launch? Story says it will be able to access the games, music and video hubs of the new Xbox, but will not have any apps of its own...rather be entirely focused on playing full console-quality games. Which means it's essentially a WiiU tablet (but probably better and more expensive). Which to me it seems dumb to not have it be some sort of Windows 8 tablet. If it's not going to have its own apps spending a bunch of money on a dumb terminal seems like a waste. I'm stupid so I would get it, but including it from the get go or making it more feature rich seem important for everyone else.

It's whatever you want it to be
because it's imaginary.

It wasn't about CoD at all. It was a wonderful BF value. People like deals on BF and make impulse buys.

Back OT, so is this false rumor to stir the internet pot?
The system was 250$ with a memory card and a game, aren't all vita bundles like that (regardless of black Friday)? I think the only one who gave it a discount was best buy.

"iPad" works because most stuff works cross iPads. Not on xbox' so this would be confusing.
When did Microsoft confirm that nextbox won't be backwards compatible?

kinggroin

Banned
Xbox is great...if they can kill the 360 off at the same time.

Its always been positioned as the do-everything platform; not just gaming. So the wildcard "X" holds true.

The system was 250$ with a memory card and a game, aren't all vita bundles like that (regardless of black Friday)? I think the only one who gave it a discount was best buy.

The black friday deal was $199 with a game and a memory card and 3 months of PS+ which just had unveiled 4 wonderful vita games in the collection.

surly

Banned
I don't doubt they're doing something like that, but there's no way in hell they'd position it against Vita and 3DS.
I'm sure they wouldn't want to position it against the Vita. They want it to be a success after all. But seriously, I'm sure that they recognise that the market for tablets is growing, while the market for dedicated handheld gaming devices with £30+ games is shrinking.

GavinGT

Banned
I'm sure they wouldn't want to position it against the Vita. They want it to be a success after all. But seriously, I'm sure that they recognise that the market for tablets is growing, while the market for dedicated handheld gaming devices with £30+ games is shrinking.

Also, they'd be at a natural disadvantage in the traditional handheld arena. The Xbox name is toxic in Japan, and Japan is the most important market for handhelds.

The Jason

They could do this, but being unable to differentiate a new product from the old makes the new one not seem so new. So I think they will give it a title.

I don't like the name of the next xbox:
X-Box (just like the old one, yes I still have this one the good old xbox)
New X-Box (please don't immitate the sux name from Apple)

X-Box Infinity is a great name, lets hope MS chooses this one.

So what will be of us that still keep and play the original Xbox? Will we can the new machine the Xbox 2013?

Tablet part is probably a response to WiiU gamepad. But I am not sure if it is a good ideia anyway. Unless it has physical buttons and can stream games from the console without the need of a tv. Then I can use in at bedroon while wife is watching soap opera...

blade85

Neo Member
I disagree, it has always been "The 360" for me, and no doubt for many others.

Other than that, you are correct that it doesn't matter, as long as people can tell it's a new system (which they will by the looks and games).

Its "the 360" for gamers. But every other person out there that buys if for their kids usually calls it "xbox". Very few actually used 360 in the name.

DBT85

Cool, can't wait for the PS4 to be called the "Playstation", that way it won't include "chi" which mean death.

Can someone who has heard Japanese PS3 adverts tell me how they say 3? do they say it in English like they say PlayStation or do they say it in Japanese?

I'm just not buying that they don't call it a PS4 because one region, which isn't predominantly a home console country any more, has a word which sounds like death as the word for 4.

For a new page, and my final attempt at sanity.

Saw it on the last page, people are reading the op and then replying sadly.

People actually think it will be called Xbox 720?? That makes no sense

I am 100% positive it wont be called that. 720 connotes the old 720P standard, not even the current more newfangled 1080P (let alone the even more swanky upcoming 4k standard). Naming it 720 just makes it sound old and dusty.

I'd see Xbox 1080 before 720. But more likely is just Xbox or Xbox 8 imo.

Cartman86

Banned
Can someone who has heard Japanese PS3 adverts tell me how they say 3? do they say it in English like they say PlayStation or do they say it in Japanese?

I'm just not buying that they don't call it a PS4 because one region, which isn't predominantly a home console country any more, has a word which sounds like death as the word for 4.

Saw it on the last page, people are reading the op and then replying sadly.

English like in this ad.

DBT85

English like in this ad.

So then, in your opinion if they did call it the PS4 would it be called "PlayStation Four" or the death one?

EDIT: no speakers on this stupid work PC :(

EDIT2: listened on my phone. After that I am even more confident that it'll be PS4. Thank you Cartman86.

GlamFM

Banned
I remember a similar rumor about the Wii U. Somebody claimed it was supposed to be called "Nintendo" which would have been great but turned out to be BS just like this rumor.

"360" is almost a stronger Brand now than XBOX - I expect the next one to be called 360² spelled three-sixty two.

GavinGT

Banned
I remember a similar rumor about the Wii U. Somebody claimed it was supposed to be called "Nintendo" which would have been great but turned out to be BS just like this rumor.

"360" is almost a stronger Brand now then XBOX - I expect the next one to be called 360² spelled three sixty two.

No way in hell. Even President Obama called it "Xbox" in a speech.

Cartman86

Banned
So then, in your opinion if they did call it the PS4 would it be called "PlayStation Four" or the death one?

EDIT: no speakers on this stupid work PC :(

I don't know for sure, but I remember from Japanese class in school that "yon" is also used instead of "shi" for 4. I don't think they will not call it Playstation 4 just because of this superstition. And if they are afraid of shi then they got yon to fall back on right? Especially if they are going to use the English pronunciation which in every commercial and press conference i've seen has been used. Seems different than the number 13 in the western world where it's the number itself not the word. Anyone else know more?

sleepykyo

The Xbox 720 will not be called that when it is finally announced. Instead, Microsoft will be reverting to the name of its first games console released 11 years ago, Xbox

This rebooting is getting ridiculous. DmC, then Tomb Raider and now even hardware. Come on Assassin's Creed, Resident Evil and Final Fantasy.

GavinGT

Banned
This rebooting is getting ridiculous. DmC, then Tomb Raider and now even hardware. Come on Assassin's Creed, Resident Evil and Final Fantasy.

Those two need to happen. I'm calling it right now - there's no way in hell S-E releases a product called Final Fantasy XVI.

Satchel

Banned
but you realise this is not "real news"..?

yeah I know. But I still have confidence I'll be right on both counts.

the Xbox surface will be a 360 squeezed into a tablet, that will play all your arcade games and GoD games. Will most likely act as a screen for the new Xbox too.

GavinGT

Banned
yeah I know. But I still have confidence I'll be right on both counts.

the Xbox surface will be a 360 squeezed into a tablet, that will play all your arcade games and GoD games. Will most likely act as a screen for the new Xbox too.

It does sound like a fair bet for Microsoft. It also sounds like it will flop as hard as Surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom