• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

I remember this game absolutely wrecking me on a regular basis back in 2006. Is the game truly significantly easier or do I just have a better grasp of gambits?

Possibly. I remember it being a very easy game except for a few bosses and some optional content. I wasn't overleveled back then either.

Mael

So....hm
I'd hate to ask again but
Possible to play the game with the level up board like on ps2? Or do I have to contend with the job system?
I mean in FFX you had the expert sphere grid after all (since I played the game in the EU, I already had access to the expert sphere grid).
As in is the license board from the ps2 version still in the game or is impossible to play the game without classes and all that?

I remember this game absolutely wrecking me on a regular basis back in 2006. Is the game truly significantly easier or do I just have a better grasp of gambits?

The job license boards tend to have more stat augments available early on, which makes a big difference (especially HP), enemies are weaker, weapons were buffed*, treasure chests are more abundant, and you get access to pretty much all of the gambits early on compared to them being parceled out over the course of the game like the original version.

*Well, some weapons were buffed - in the original game, many of the weapons types didn't show up until later in the game. In the Zodiac Age, these weapon types show up much earlier to accommodate the job system, and as such have had their stats readjusted. For example, the original Kotetsu didn't show up until after Raithwall's Tomb and had an attack of 50. Now it shows up in the Barheim Passage shop and has an attack of 16.

Dimmle

The job license boards tend to have more stat augments available early on, which makes a big difference (especially HP), enemies are weaker, weapons were buffed, treasure chests are more abundant, and you get access to pretty much all of the gambits early on compared to them being parceled out over the course of the game like the original version.

This explains it. Gambits make a world of difference.

Cess007

So....hm
I'd hate to ask again but

As in is the license board from the ps2 version still in the game or is impossible to play the game without classes and all that?

AFAI, there's no way to play with the vanilla PS2 version. If you want to use the license board, you must choose a job.

Mael

AFAI, there's no way to play with the vanilla PS2 version. If you want to use the license board, you must choose a job.

Ok, thanks!
I guess it's a way to commit to a choice instead of the more versatile way the original game played...
Won't complain until I have a problem with it I guess.

Ok, thanks!
I guess it's a way to commit to a choice instead of the more versatile way the original game played...
Won't complain until I have a problem with it I guess.

Again, even if the original board was in the game, it would be better to use the job boards as they make you more powerful than you would be on the 100% complete original board. Just, more specialized.

thedan001

Money seems a lot more important in this game vs other FF's ive played. I actually have to budget :(

Grinding for money is really easy and quick with a proper gambit setup and a nice farming location. There's a few guides out there if you google it up.

Alternatively cat ear hood and Trials is good money I read somewhere in this thread.

thedan001

Mkay, so confused. lol

So can I silence that boss or not?

King Bomb is vulnerable to Immobilize and Silence and if afflicted with both and attempts to attack a party member outside of its physical attack range, it will rest idle until the target moves into range. This opens it up to a beating from other party members until its HP is fully depleted.

King Bomb is weak against Water.

You do the math, not hard to formulate a strategy if you abuse this mechanic.

RPGCrazied

King Bomb is vulnerable to Immobilize and Silence and if afflicted with both and attempts to attack a party member outside of its physical attack range, it will rest idle until the target moves into range. This opens it up to a beating from other party members until its HP is fully depleted.

King Bomb is weak against Water.

You do the math, not hard to formulate a strategy if you abuse this mechanic.

Thanks, seems simple enough. Now to backtrack to get silence. I have immobilize. No teleport stones, so I walk.

red13th

Any tips on which job I should learn my espers? I just got Belias and his unlocks seem pretty bad overall but I don't know if I'm missing something obvious.

Balphon

Any tips on which job I should learn my espers? I just got Belias and his unlocks seem pretty bad overall but I don't know if I'm missing something obvious.

Only non-obvious thing to keep in mind is that depending on your job combos you may get access to things behind esper licenses by unlocking them on your other board. Common example would be pairing Monk with a class that has access to at least two swiftness licenses on its main board. Once you unlock the second one on the other class's board it will unlock on Monk without you needing to also unlock Ultima.

Belias doesn't give access to much; best option for it is Potion Lore on Knight if they don't have it from their second job.

Onemic

Grinding for money is really easy and quick with a proper gambit setup and a nice farming location. There's a few guides out there if you google it up.

Alternatively cat ear hood and Trials is good money I read somewhere in this thread.

Thanks. Im fine with it tbh. It makes me think twice before spending on stuff since there's so much shit to buy. Better than gil just being throwaway change to dump at a vendor when you need to upgrade your entire party's equipment before going on to the next part of the game.

Vic_Viper

Not sure if its been posted already, but Prima has 50% off all guides atm. I got the digital FFXII Zodiac guide for $5.30.

https://www.primagames.com/

Comic-Con eGuide Sale! Save 50% off All Week w/Coupon Code SDCC17. 7-14 to 7-23.

Also have a code for the Skyrim Special Edition digital guide lol: SKYRIM2016-2PWCGXXN

I've always loved Sakimoto's FFXII soundtrack, but the reorchestration is making me take notice of tracks I'd not had much of a recollection of previously, like the outpost music, or the Nalbina Prison music. (Which is funny, because I went back and listened to the original Nalbina Prison version and it's still amazing, it's just the reorchestration makes it a bit more distinctive again.)

I had also forgotten that it must always be around the Nalbina Prison that I remember why I do like Vaan as a character, he's not just 'perky kid that wants to be a sky pirate'. It's also interesting what having Vaan around brings out in Balthier's character, as Vaan's the one that makes Balthier's smug 'leading man' persona crack a bit, whether out of a irritation or reluctant protectiveness.

Speaking of Balthier, I forgot how enjoyable his Gambit tutorial is - basically talking about how his gambits are currently set, and that he'd attack an enemy over healing an ally, and for that he should be criticized, and rightly so. Thank you to Smith and Reeder for making even a tutorial a fun read.

Cheers to the person a few pages back who recommended actually talking to the NPCs, I don't think I ever really bothered to talk to many NPCs when I played FFXII back in the day. Lots of interesting little bits of world-building/character detail, along with hints in regards to hunts and rare monster spawns, etc.

I spent less that five minutes Dustia farming, and I've still ended up a bit too OP, so not locking anyone into job classes until the game gets a bit harder again. D'oh.

thedan001

Anyone who has been enjoying FFXII tremendously and looking for another game that has similar battle systems should give FFXI a try for various reasons:

1) Each job is specialized with you learning job abilities and stats as you level up instead of job boards. Best part is it's not permanent, you can always switch jobs until you find your favorite one.

2) It uses auto-attacks as well, and you use macros instead of gambits to execute commands, and the difference comes here- you buy or do quests to earn "trusts" which are NPC's that join your party with their own set of "gambits" that you can't adjust. That means you want to look for a healer trust that will heal status effects off you while it does cures but there are others that do group cures or even raises other players in your party. A famous NPC like Shanotto can even be a trust for instance and fills your party up instead of looking to group with other players. This new feature made FFXI a single player MMO for like 90% of the content, and the content is huge.

3) Even though it is a MMO, and can do most of the content by yourself, it comes with a monthly subscription cost. I suggest trying it out with a free trial which allows you to go lv50 without paying for it so you can check if the game holds your interest at that point to decide.

4) While it's not Ivalice, the story is super fantastic if you only play the game for that aspect, the lore runs deep and very friendly for newcomers, but you will need to max out your level (Lv99) to accomplish the ending that sums up all expansions to that point.

The game was released in 2003-2004 so the graphics are stale (especially when compared to FFXIV) but it feels very similar to FFXII in many ways, especially the hunts and rare monsters. If you're curious and have been thinking to jump in and check off FFXI's story from your FF list.

Not trying to market here or anything, just saying there's another game out there that's relatable to this game for those that just picked up on it and want more of it.

Kyolux

Not sure if its been posted already, but Prima has 50% off all guides atm. I got the digital FFXII Zodiac guide for $5.30.

Comic-Con eGuide Sale! Save 50% off All Week w/Coupon Code SDCC17. 7-14 to 7-23.

Also have a code for the Skyrim Special Edition digital guide lol: SKYRIM2016-2PWCGXXN

Thanks!

Had ordered the physical version because I didn't know this was an option.

Managed to cancel before it shipped and just got this!

Fisty

Oh man, I just realized how much of a pain in the ass it is going to be for me since my first playthrough of Skyrim will be Skyrim VR

I reference guides constantly in Bethesda games, and doing that with a VR headset on will suck big time lol

iosefe

Yes. Getting a nihopaloa that early requires some effort, though. You'll need to gather the ingredients, but you have access to every location to get them by the time you reach golmore jungle.

just looked that item up. oh man, i need one

Does anyone know how to get the bubble spell in this version? It used to be at the clan provisioner after 40k clan points and 12 marks done. But no dice in this version.

mieumieu

Was the motion blur in cutscenes this bad in PS2 version? It is starting to drive me nuts. Some of the time you might as well not show shit it is so bad.

Motion blur was always there in PS2. It is a crude image based solution, and probably not changed on PS4.

DoF blur was also on PS2, but this time there is a more modern solution applied to the image.

People forget how much a blurry shimmering mess the PS2 version was. Probably cos they played on emulator and the two effects doesn't work properly.

Rising_Hei

Anyone who has been enjoying FFXII tremendously and looking for another game that has similar battle systems should give FFXI a try for various reasons:

1) Each job is specialized with you learning job abilities and stats as you level up instead of job boards. Best part is it's not permanent, you can always switch jobs until you find your favorite one.

2) It uses auto-attacks as well, and you use macros instead of gambits to execute commands, and the difference comes here- you buy or do quests to earn "trusts" which are NPC's that join your party with their own set of "gambits" that you can't adjust. That means you want to look for a healer trust that will heal status effects off you while it does cures but there are others that do group cures or even raises other players in your party. A famous NPC like Shanotto can even be a trust for instance and fills your party up instead of looking to group with other players. This new feature made FFXI a single player MMO for like 90% of the content, and the content is huge.

3) Even though it is a MMO, and can do most of the content by yourself, it comes with a monthly subscription cost. I suggest trying it out with a free trial which allows you to go lv50 without paying for it so you can check if the game holds your interest at that point to decide.

4) While it's not Ivalice, the story is super fantastic if you only play the game for that aspect, the lore runs deep and very friendly for newcomers, but you will need to max out your level (Lv99) to accomplish the ending that sums up all expansions to that point.

The game was released in 2003-2004 so the graphics are stale (especially when compared to FFXIV) but it feels very similar to FFXII in many ways, especially the hunts and rare monsters. If you're curious and have been thinking to jump in and check off FFXI's story from your FF list.

Not trying to market here or anything, just saying there's another game out there that's relatable to this game for those that just picked up on it and want more of it.
I was a FFXI hardcore when this game released back on the day, i felt like it was like the natural improvement of what we had in FFXI regarding the battle system; much faster, dynamic and with much more options avalaible (gambits are so awesome, and probably because it's a SOLO game devs had much more freedom to make it more enjoyable than FFXI's battle system). It still works a lot like that, so if you knew how FFXI worked you had it easy to understand the combat mechanics, hell, there's even "provoke", a hate management system from the enemies, had to think how to deal with packs of enemies and all those things. And of course the meta game is much more interesting and "stable" in FFXI it was a little "sloppy" and the battles were so fucking slow and some just took too long even if your HNMLS did its absolute best.

I find a shame that they didn't build more things upon FFXII systems, a coop online crawler would have been awesome too!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
On replaying I'm struck by how much better the story is than I remembered, and it occurs to me that the fundamental problem with it is the pacing as opposed to the plotting.

Basically the issue is that there's so much content between story-beats its easy for the player to lose interest simply out of distraction. That the story is told in a relatively restrained and naturalistic manner actually works against it in this regard, you cant go low-key when several hours have potentially passed since the last beat!

The speed-up modes are a godsend for the storytelling as much as the gameplay in this respect.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
On replaying I'm struck by how much better the story is than I remembered, and it occurs to me that the fundamental problem with it is the pacing as opposed to the plotting.

Basically the issue is that there's so much content between story-beats its easy for the player to lose interest simply out of distraction. That the story is told in a relatively restrained and naturalistic manner actually works against it in this regard, you cant go low-key when several hours have potentially passed since the last beat!

The speed-up modes are a godsend for the storytelling as much as the gameplay in this respect.
It reminds me a lot of MGSV, which seemed like it had much less story then previous games. But it was mostly owing to the long stretches of gameplay in between scenes.

Vic_Viper

When do you get access to choosing your secondary jobs?

Was planning on having Balthier as a Machinst/White Mage, but wasnt sure If I should go White Mage first or second.

Top Bottom