• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Azure Striker Gunvolt |OT| thunderbolts and lightning, very very frightening

zroid

Banned
huh, there's already a quick look before the game is even released? rare to see giant bomb give an eShop game so much attention.

Venfayth

So good to see sprite art in this day and age.

I agree, this is my favorite 2D art style. It hurts me whenever someone refers to 2D and I get excited and then see a facebook/flash style 2D game. Nothing against those styles, but this stuff is much more appealing to me.

duckroll

I watched the Giant Bomb QL, and honestly I think that the game design looks pretty fun except for the fact that it really feels way too easy. For a game of this sort, there's really no point to that level of babied down balancing at all. Does anyone know if there's a hard mode from the start which doubles or triples the damage you get from attacks and lengthens the cooldown for all special attacks? I think that would make it maybe just right.

Tizoc

Hopefully I get my monthly payslip come the 28th (nearly flat broke atm lol). Wanna put some time into this baby. he early impressions have helped give me an idea on how I should approach the game thankfully.

I just finished writing my review of the game for BackinmyPlay.com, will be lurking if you guys have any questions. There is still an embargo on some content, but I can discuss most of the game.

maxcriden

I just finished writing my review of the game for BackinmyPlay.com, will be lurking if you guys have any questions. There is still an embargo on some content, but I can discuss most of the game.

Thanks man. I guess just riffing off of duckroll's idea above, is there a hard mode available from the start? Also, how long, roughly, is the game? Apologies if these are the kind of questions you can't answer.

Thanks man. I guess just riffing off of duckroll's idea above, is there a hard mode available from the start? Also, how long, roughly, is the game? Apologies if these are the kind of questions you can't answer.

I can't comment on total time, but I don't think that is really applicable. You will be replaying stages multiple times to gain XP, items, and to get higher ranks. And at the start there was no "hard mode."

maxcriden

I can't comment on total time, but I don't think that is really applicable. You will be replaying stages multiple times to gain XP, items, and to get higher ranks. And at the start there was no "hard mode."

Awesome. Thanks for the info!

BTW, when does the embargo lift?

Miker

Did you like it, or rather, is the game good? If you can answer that. Prior Mega Man Zero experience would be applicable here :)

Did you like it, or rather, is the game good? If you can answer that. Prior Mega Man Zero experience would be applicable here :)

To be honest I have never played the MMZ games, but after playing GUNVOLT I bought the DS collection. Maybe that helps.

john tv

Looks like select members of the press are now receiving their special edition copies of Gunvolt... :D

RcXZcGt.jpg

euVYUgm.jpg

f7Q9KWw.jpg

Fireblend

Banned
I'm kinda hyped for it because I love the MMZ games, though I'm not buying the gameplay gimmick just yet. I'll wait for release day and read impressions before deciding on whether to buy it straight away.

duckroll

They've confirmed that the English version of the game is 2,623 blocks. The Japanese version of the game is 3,150 blocks. So I guess the removed voice content amounts to about 65 meg.

I already wanted it but that bonus game seals the deal!

Awesome treat! That's how pre-order or launch purchasing should be done! Not the extra costumes or dlc bull crap!

Fireblend

Banned
I really really hate removed voice content.
Yeah, this sucks. How hard was it to add a VA toggle? Oh well. Still looking forward to it. I beat KIU yesterday (amazing, amazing game) so my 3DS is ready for something new.

To those who have played it, how long is it? Can it be compared to Shovel Knight in terms of length for example?

jacobeid

Banned
This looks really good (better than mighty no. 9 which I backed), and I have $15 of eshop credit. Might have to give this a go.

GeekyDad

Yeah, this sucks. How hard was it to add a VA toggle? Oh well. ...

As hard as paying the voice actors royalties is my guess. They can say whatever they want to give a reason "why," but ultimately I suspect they weighed anticipated sales versus the cost to pay the actors royalties per sale (Japanese or English, doesn't matter), and decided to just gut that part out of the game.

maxcriden

More reviews rollin' on in:

All you need to know is that it is a great action platformer that introduces awesome new ideas while oozing with style, personality, and fun.

Nintendo World Report - 8.5/10

It's enjoyable to be able to breeze through the main game while learning how to wield Gunvolt's abilities with newfound confidence, but considering that most levels can be completed in about ten minutes, and there are just over ten to explore, it's also a bit deflating when the game runs out of new things for you to see. The challenges and the hunt for hidden items are worthwhile endeavors that will encourage you to play for a few additional hours, but you're still repeatedly retracing your steps, and this is Gunvolt's only downfall. That's not to say you won't find yourself going back in for just one more run, but this take on the core Mega Man formula ultimately runs out of new scenarios quicker than it deserves to given how exciting and fun it is to play.

GameSpot - 8/10

Azure Striker Gunvolt is a wonderful return to the technical Mega Man formula found in multiple subfranchises after the "Classic" series ran its course. Between mastering every stage, collecting every jewel, and beating Mighty Gunvolt, Azure packs in more than most platformers on the market. Although there are a few problems that prevent it from achieving true greatness, this shouldn't be missed by any fan of the genre.

Destructoid - 8/10

pariah164

I have a similar concern but according to some reviews and impressions it's not terribly difficutl. So that makes me feel a bit better.
My thing is, in all the gameplay videos I've seen, it's all about going as fast as possible, while I like to take my time and plan my moves. So I think that would hinder me. I know that sounds strange.

maxcriden

My thing is, in all the gameplay videos I've seen, it's all about going as fast as possible, while I like to take my time and plan my moves. So I think that would hinder me. I know that sounds strange.

Nah, I don't think it sounds strange at all, people have gameplay preferences all the time. I would recommend you check out the Japanese Impressions thread, though:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=878528

Lots of people in there saying the game is much slower-paced than expected, or at least that you can play it that way if you like.

Top Bottom