• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

Manu

So that't it, my memory is confirmed to be literally shit lol

Anyways, tomorrow we should have the patch notes for Friday's patch (Friday will have the new fixes and regulations patch, while the 28th will be the TRC patch).

Are you sure? This was at the end of the last trailer:

17353428_10212582459426377_7365838972025749416_n.jpg

Is this only for Europe or something?

Thanks! I'm probably not gonna buy the Season pass right away. I got kinda burned out grinding for the platinum... and no time right now. But I'll keep my eye on it and maybe pick it up later on PSN.

Np. The grind for all the achievements can be a killer, so worth taking a break. Ariandel isn't lengthy but I think parts of it work better than a lot of the main game and have some relatively dense area...and the previews for Ringed City suggest it will follow that. best to be something to look forward to then :p

Manu

The beautiful feeling when you and another player randomly do the same gesture at the same time.

ck7ArVN.gif

This is why I love Dark Souls.

Jombie

Interesting. I'll chalk it up to the same thing that happened to the giant spider beast in Anor Londo by the lever to open the door; he dropped down, wandered on the spot while I killed slugs, then exited stage left, ie, went through the wall and was never to be seen again. Unfortunately he took the ring that he's supposed to drop with him. Sometimes the game just breaks a little bit lol.

If you warp back it should be there somewhere.

Toxi

Banned
My brother just discovered the Aldrich's Faithful Covenant and loves it. He played a lot of Dark Souls 1 PvP, so he was looking for some PvP in Dark Souls 3.

Meanwhile, I'm still only Rank 1 in the Darkmoons. Think I'll just try to get the Proofs through getting summoned while playing NG+.

Kimmundi said patch notes will be tomorrow 10am CET.
Goddamnit, thought they were today.

Back at this game after playing Nioh since launch, and I'm still loving it, but I will say that the camera continues to be frustrating as fuck. I do think that much of that is due to the more ambitious level design and enemies in DkS3, so it's understandable in some ways. The lock-on in DkS3 similarly is shit compared to Nioh, but then again I'd say the lock-on in DkS3 feels worse than previous entries in the series to be honest.

Pretty excited for DLC2. I've hardly seen any of the promotional info, which isn't always the easiest to avoid, but it's just hard to believe that this will be the final DkS content to discover. I do think From needs to move on and create new things, but it's kinda a bummer all the same.

Ferr986

Goddamnit, thought they were today.

Tell me about it. He said there's a fair bit of balance fixes related to spells and weapons.

Yeah :) There's like 50 items on the list.

Don't get too excited though, I haven't analysed any of it yet, plus I don't have the level of comprehension to fully understand the impacts of the changes.

There's like ~15 items on bug fixing (world stuff, UI mainly) and the rest is globally items/spells/sorceries/miracles balancing (non-exhaustive list)

Toxi

Banned
At this point you could make a drinking game for Souls theories.

Take a shot every time someone is assumed to be Velka.

That a shot every time Gwyn is blamed for something with no evidence.

Take a shot every time someone comes up with a new take on Untended Graves that makes even less sense than the last.

Hopefully they buff shit instead of nerfing.
Definitely. The biggest problems with Dark Souls 3 right now are the things that aren't good, not the things that are good.

I can't think of a single nerf that would really improve the game as a whole. On the other hand, I can think of a fuckton of buffs that would.

Jombie

I wish they would boost elemental scaling and damage. Spears and scythes could use another buff as well. Dark spells are still mostly useless and aren't viable at all.

Toxi

Banned
I wish they would boost elemental scaling and damage. Spears and scythes could use another buff as well. Dark spells are still mostly useless and aren't viable at all.
The problem with spears is that the best spear in the game by far (Gargoyle Flame Spear) is a really fucking boring spear.

Pikes need a significant buff across the board too. The poor Greatlance just sucks.

On my third playthrough now - I think I have a good idea how I feel about the game.

Overall, not as good as Bloodborne for my tastes (my first foray into this series) - the combat in BB is much more visceral and although there's fewer weapons, they all have personality whereas I'm overwhelmed by the weapon choices in DS3 and only a few here and there stand out (not too bothered by this though).

Also, I feel like the camera in DS3 is just... really janky. There's too many times where I'll die mainly because the camera goes haywire by a wall and doesn't know what to display.

All in all though, I do like this game alot despite my qualms with it. Magic is actually usable and theres alot of build variety - my personal favorite being a Pyro. I just really miss side steps.

bremon

Aldrich down. Dancer down. Oceiros down. Consumed king garden had a cool atmosphere but those weird bipedal humanoid things with the massive head growths going on are so intense.

Also got the season pass today, pumped to have more to do than just whatever's left of the base game.

Also, I feel like the camera in DS3 is just... really janky. There's too many times where I'll die mainly because the camera goes haywire by a wall and doesn't know what to display.
This is something Souls fans kind of live with and accept forgetting to mention but there's an 'auto wall camera recovery' option that most people turn off. It doesn't solve all of the camera jank when in tight spaces, but it does helps.

bremon

What does "Shortened attack window of Carthus Curved Sword and Dark Sword, Gargoyle Flame Hammer and Follower Sabre." mean?

Also; heavy and sharp infusions getting improved while hollow and refined get "corrected"...doesn't sound like it bodes well for my current quality setup. Might have to visit Rosaria I guess.

Glad I held off on infusions and using too many chunks (yeah I know I can buy them later).

This is something Souls fans kind of live with and accept forgetting to mention but there's an 'auto wall camera recovery' option that most people turn off. It doesn't solve all of the camera jank when in tight spaces, but it does helps.

Ahhh I see. I didn't know that was an option, thanks! Surprisingly, I didn't run into many camera issues in BB, aside from a few specific moments (Loran Darkbeast).

Toxi

Banned
What does "Shortened attack window of Carthus Curved Sword and Dark Sword, Gargoyle Flame Hammer and Follower Sabre." mean?
Reducing active attack frames most likely. All those weapons (It's the Gargoyle Flame Spear, not the Gargoyle Flame Hammer) are used for roll catching and are easily the best weapons of their weapon class.

The cosplay co op build of Friede and Vilhelm made big progress today. Only have SoC + Archdragon Peak to do before Ringed City is all that will be left.

Friede's Scyte was absolutely ludicrous against Dragonslayer Armour...and getting a trio of parries against Champion Gundyr after he does a leaping overhead attack is soooo good.

bremon

Reducing active attack frames most likely. All those weapons (It's the Gargoyle Flame Spear, not the Gargoyle Flame Hammer) are used for roll catching and are easily the best weapons of their weapon class.
Makes sense, I'm currently using dark sword but might switch to lothric if dark is turned to junk. Flame spear makes sense, I was just going off what the site I read said lol. Not really aware of what roll catching is, a roll and poke attack to catch up to people trying to evade?

Jombie

I'm surprised they didn't cave to fan bitching and nerf straight swords.

Happy about the buff to heavy and sharp - they sorely needed it. Black knight ultra has become one of my favorite weapons, so I'm excited for the buff and reduction in stamina. I'm surprised they didn't nerf bleed a long time ago, and poison has been completely useless. Still disappointed they didn't improve scaling for elemental infusions, as it's always been better to go raw and then buff.

Toxi

Banned
Makes sense, I'm currently using dark sword but might switch to lothric if dark is turned to junk. Flame spear makes sense, I was just going off what the site I read said lol. Not really aware of what roll catching is, a roll and poke attack to catch up to people trying to evade?
The change to the Dark Sword won't turn it to junk. It still has great damage and range.

This is a brief explanation of how roll catching works. It's basically delaying an attack with a fast weapon until after the other player starts a roll, so you hit them after the invincibility frames end.

I honestly don't know why they keep hiding spells and miracles behind covenants. It's the most annoying fucking thing, especially since they got rid of it in Bloodborne because they realized it was awful.

Jobbs

Banned
oh my fucking god -- pro support.

I glanced over the patch notes and didn't see any substantive improvements to miracles. oh well.

one thing I've always wanted to do in DS3 is play a high faith miracle caster that wasn't useless (at least, useless until you are at a high level and have all the miracle gear).

Pixieking

Banned
Where are the patch notes?

PC Patch Notes are here:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/374320/announcements/detail/261612552478282575

Patchnotes:

Made system updates for The Ringed City.
Increased frame rate for gameplay on PlayStation®4 Pro.
2 New maps added to Undead Match, Dragon Ruins and Grand Roof.
Added function to Undead Match where, if password matching is used, players can split into teams.
Added function to Undead Match that allows one team of players to match with one password, and the other team to match with another password.
Added function where various hosts could be displayed on the bonfire warp menu.
Added warning text that advised player if he/she has dropped too many items in a single location on the field.
Fixed issue where the loading screen was displayed for longer than usual when the guest returned to his/her own world after an online multiplayer session.
Fixed issue in "The Painted World of Ariandel" where the opened/closed status of the door to the Cleansing Chapel did not synched properly during online multiplayer session.
Fixed issue where a guest could enter alone into the boss room for the Dancer of the Boreal Valley during online multiplayer session.
Fixed issue where the level sync feature in Undead Match did not synched consistently during online multiplayer session.
Fixed issue in the loading screen where guests were not alerted to an error that occurred on the host's side during online multiplayer session.
Fixed issue when player using the miracle Tears of Denial doesn’t get attacked during online multiplayer session.
Fixed issue where weapons and items sent to the box get corrupted when inventory is full.
Fixed icons that specify which certain items are for which gender. (ex. Chain Armor).
Improved attack power for Daggers. In accordance with this fix, critical hit is decreased in order to make critical power the same as present.
Improved motion of normal attack for Ultra Greatswords, Great Hammers and Curved Great Swords.
Decreased stamina depletion when attacking using Ultra Greatswords, Great Hammers, and Greataxes.
Improved attack power for Curved Greatswords.
Decreased motion of normal attack while dashing for Katanas. Improved motion of any other normal attacks.
Improved motion of shield bash skill. In accordance with this fix, stamina consumption has been reduced.
Improved motion of Dagger's Blind Spot skill.
Increased rate at which Frostbite builds up when using Vordt's Great Hammer, Irithyll Straight Sword, and Friede's Great Scythe.
Shortened attack window of Carthus Curved Sword and Dark Sword, Gargoyle Flame Spear and Follower Sabre.
Improved motion of Crescent Moon Sword's skill, Crescent Blade.
Improved the motion of Moonlight Greatswords’s skill, Moonlight Vortex.
Improved FP recovery effect of Executioner's Greatsword.
Fixed so that Frost Blade appears from the beginning of Pontiff Knight Curved Sword skill.
Improved FP decrease effect of Yorshka’s Spear skill, Pacify.
Improved motion and the frost effect of Pontiff Knight Great Scythe skill.
Improved motion of normal attack for Greatlance.
Fixed so that poise is applied during Greatlance two-handed attack. 
Fixed so that poise is applied during Dark Hand skill, Lifedrain.
Disabled parry during Pickaxe's two-handed attack.
Improved duration of the Perseverance effect.
Fixed issue where attack power of some bolts was different from the assumed value when using Avelyn.
Fixed issue where one-handed attack motion of Crow Talons was the incorrectly using the animation for the Fists.
Fixed issue where player can apply enchantment of Bloodlust to other weapons.
Fixed so that poise is applied during Spin Sweep attack.
Fixed issue where Onislayer continued to attack consecutively.
Improved correction value for Sharp or Heavy weapons' upgrade.
Improved the Bleed build-up of Blood infusions. Reduced Bleed build-up of weapons not infused with Blood.
Improved the Poison build-up of Poison infusions.
Along with improving correction value for Sharp or Heavy weapons' upgrade, adjusted correction value for Refined weapons' upgrade.
Improved defense and also reduced weight for heavy armor.
Improved the motion of Lightning Stake, Lightning Storm and Way of White Corona.
Extended the time you can move during the casting of the miracles of Gnaw, Dorhys' Gnawing and Wrath of the Gods
Fixed issue where bonus value is not affected by Dark Damage when equipping Hornet Ring during critical attack.
Increased the damage of Poison and Toxic dealt by players, and shortened its duration.
Decreased rate at which bleed builds up when using Carthus Rouge.

bremon

Lothric Castle is no joke. Those buggers with the undead hunter charms or whatever they have that prevents estus nearly cost me dearly lol. Probably playing a bit reckless though. Enjoying this level so far though.

Ferr986

so does this mean bleed builds are nerfed into the ground and no longer able to 3-4 shot people ?

Something like this :

https://youtu.be/O1Xg9pTPZ80?list=PL7RtZMiaOk8gpGeW5eG7eZ5jxqwf1gUUx&t=532

Not quite. The problem was not Bleed builds, it was Carhtus Rouge (the item for infusing bleed). It was too OP that bleed infusions didn't make any sense because you could just Carthus Rouge everything.

Now, Rouge is nerfed and Bleed infusions has been buffed so now it's more important to have the correct stats and weapons/infusions.

Lothric Castle is no joke. Those buggers with the undead hunter charms or whatever they have that prevents estus nearly cost me dearly lol. Probably playing a bit reckless though. Enjoying this level so far though.

Yep, they can catch you out.

On my co-op game, we did Lothric Castle yesterday. Got invaded by someone and my friend used Seed of a Giant (makes enemies hostile to invaders) and the invader attacked us, got hit with the no-Estus stuff, ran away and got killed by the skeletons with big axes.

I'm at Lothric Castle too. I've moved from an Exile Armor set and Broadsword to Brass Armor set and Exile Greatsword. Do enemies just hit this much harder or is the difference in armor sets what keeps getting me? I'm taking a fuckton more of damage here.

I'm at Lothric Castle too. I've moved from an Exile Armor set and Broadsword to Brass Armor set and Exile Greatsword. Do enemies just hit this much harder or is the difference in armor sets what keeps getting me? I'm taking a fuckton more of damage here.

The Hollows hit harder than earlier, but not by much. The Lothric Knights on the other hand (the ones in silver armour with a red banner) hit like a fucking truck. I think all, bar one, have a Cleric nearby to heal them and all of them tend to buff their weapons.

Edit: So this is sparked by something I saw on Reddit and talked about with a few friends but...if FromSoft could give you one piece of fan-service in the Ringed City, from any of the Soulsborne games, what would it be? Could be a reference, or a motif in some music etc...Personally I started to wonder what a remix of Maiden Astraea's+ Gwyn's theme would be like and thought it could work well for the sleeping girl from Ringed City, if she's Gwyn's daughter.

Manu

Edit: So this is sparked by something I saw on Reddit and talked about with a few friends but...if FromSoft could give you one piece of fan-service in the Ringed City, from any of the Soulsborne games, what would it be? Could be a reference, or a motif in some music etc...Personally I started to wonder what a remix of Maiden Astraea's+ Gwyn's theme would be like and thought it could work well for the sleeping girl from Ringed City, if she's Gwyn's daughter.

One word:
Aldia.

I still say Sister Friede is the hardest boss in any of the Souls games thus far (for a STR build) :D

She becomes pretty easy after learning her, while I think some of the other bosses offer a more consistent challenge, even after understanding the mechanics (OoK). Friede staggers easily, and she practically invites you to backstab her after certain moves. First time facing her was rough, no doubt. I still think phase 1 of O&S can be the hardest fight in the series, if your build isn't high damage.

Of course this is Souls, and everybody struggles with different bosses. Some of the typically easy ones have given me issues. I remember Gaping Dragon being a roadblock for me when I played the game my first time.

TitusTroy

That's the new PvP arenas. They'll be available on the 24th if you have Ariandel.

maybe they will release the game on the 24th for those that own both Ashes of Ariandel and Ringed City...would be a nice gift to the fans...plus From Software is known for unlocking DLC early...I remember the final Dark Souls 2 DLC (Crown of the Ivory King) unlocked 6-8 hours early

Sarcasm

She becomes pretty easy after learning her, while I think some of the other bosses offer a more consistent challenge, even after understanding the mechanics (OoK). Friede staggers easily, and she practically invites you to backstab her after certain moves. First time facing her was rough, no doubt. I still think phase 1 of O&S can be the hardest fight in the series, if your build isn't high damage.

Of course this is Souls, and everybody struggles with different bosses. Some of the typically easy ones have given me issues. I remember Gaping Dragon being a roadblock for me when I played the game my first time.

So true as I got O&S on my first go.

The gargoyle in 1 totally wrecked me. Almost broke me lol.

The funny part was I sucked so badly when I first played Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne (and to a big extent, Dark Souls), when I went back to look at my boss Trophies for Bloodborne, the screenshot with them always had another person in it. I didn't have to do this for Demon's Souls - the Crescent Falchion makes that game a joke - and I'm trying not to summon on Dark Souls 3.

To be honest, the only reason I summon is because I hate the run backs to bosses quite a bit. I still do, but I think they are better in Dark Souls 3.

Top Bottom