• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Monster Hunter 4 coming to Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.
GrainSalt_thumb_kl.jpg

Via Kotaku:

Oh boy. If this is true (big if!), the PS Vita could be poised for, ahem, a monster comeback.

According to Japanese game magazine Game Lab, Nintendo 3DS exclusive Monster Hunter 4 was delayed to summer for a reason other than "improving quality". That reason is apparently that the game is also being developed for the PS Vita. Rumors say (via Game Lab) that the game's getting a simultaneous release on the 3DS and the PS Vita.

Why is this a big deal? In Japan, Monster Hunter is the reason why the PSP was so popular. Having it can make a system.

Game Lab's rumors certainly aren't always correct. It did correctly say God Eater 2 was going to the PS Vita before that was officially announced.

But to be honest, I do not believe that Monster Hunter 4 would get a simultaneous 3DS and PS Vita release. Nintendo, for one, would never allow it. But since Capcom does like multiplatform titles, I would not be surprised if Monster Hunter 4 made it to the Vita in some form or another. Eventually. Now that I believe.

Kotaku is following up with Capcom and will update this post should the company comment.
Famitsu does have a surprise scoop on a "popular series" next week...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Game Lab? Isn't the same magazine that predicted Monster Hunter 3 (not portable, the 3 for Wii) on PSP, and SRT Z2 on PS3?

Glass Rebel

Monster Hunter 4 on Vita would probably get me to buy the system and try my hand at the franchise again. Unless Nintendo releases a 3DS XL with dual analog that is.

MrDaravon

Would be crazy if true. I can't see how Nintendo would allow it though. Only thing I can think of that would allow it is if Nintendo didn't pony up for a flat-out exclusive, but instead paid up enough to allow it to be exclusively revealed for 3DS first for a certain window when the 3DS really needed good news.

Those rumors were difficult to believe when Vita was just launched.

Now, with the latest hardware sales, is even more difficult to believe.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Nintendo would not let a simultaneous release happen, no question.
Kind of like Sony wouldn't lose such a big exclusive huh? It happens. But rumors suck. But even if it happens I don't think it would help Vita too much. The big help is from having such a title exclusive, not also having it. Unless it somehow happened and people migrated to that version en masse despite having the choice for a more established platform with more popular games on it and a decent portion of the series fans already on it on top.

I find it difficult to think that a joint release would benefit Capcom, Nintendo or even Sony in the least.

Nintendo is obvious, it'd split the all-important multiplayer base for Capcom, and Vita would benefit more from a expanded 4G edition down the road.

stilgar

Simultaneous release. For one of the biggest third-party Nintendo (or Sony) could dream of.
With Vita on life support.

Sure.

so!!!
sony had to sell BOTH their HQ in order to buy off konami the promise to release mh4 to vita? glorious trolling!
on a more serious note, i'm happy..
if anything can raise vita sale it's a strong ip like mh :)

Enkidu

To be honest, the damage has already been done. While I'm sure it will be a nice boost to the Vita if it does come out there, the fact that the game was assumed to be a 3DS exclusive for so long proably influenced a lot of people to buy a 3DS over a Vita.

Striek

Lol. I'm pretty confident that Nintendo has MH4 on lockdown with an ironclad contract. Theres no way money hasn't already exchanged hands.

Kiraly

Monster Hunter is bound to end up on Vita one day

When Capcom decides to fucking stop recycling their PS2 assets one day

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This thing reminds me too much of rumours like DQIX coming to PSP due to the delays.

EVOL 100%

It'd only be a real help if the Vita version looks significantly better.

Based on how fond Capcom is of reusing the same goddamn assets for years, I wouldn't count on that happening.

Road

I'll believe the rumor that says Nintendo and Capcom agreed MH cannot be released on other handheld consoles for 3 years (don't know when that started, probably 2010 or 2011).

And I'll believe the real world where wasting time porting MH to Vita will not happen unless Sony gave $50 million to Capcom.

DigitalOp

Banned
"Vita Saved"

Could be timed 3DS exclusive but yes! This makes the future that much brighter

Come on Famitsu!! hold me down

H13

if it does true,i wonder that does the game play in online mode cross platform between 3DS and Vita.

Danielsan

I highly doubt it, but if true this would be huge for Vita in Japan.

Sony sold their US headquarters to make this deal.

Let's see:

Regardless this helps Vita if true.

What is the better scenario of these two scenarios for the Vita?

1. 3DS and Vita version release day and date and are the same essentially
2. 3DS version releases ahead of the Vita version, but the Vita version has upgraded graphics.

Obviously, the best scenario for Vita is if it releases ahead of the 3DS version and is also better (i.e. improved graphics, etc.)

Kind of like Sony wouldn't lose such a big exclusive huh? It happens. But rumors suck. But even if it happens I don't think it would help Vita too much. The big help is from having such a title exclusive, not also having it. Unless it somehow happened and people migrated to that version en masse despite having the choice for a more established platform with more popular games on it and a portion of the fans already on it.
A simultaneous release would probably still bring a big boost in Vita sales, even if it's not exclusive. The Vita has two analog sticks, whereas the 3DS only has one unless you buy an extra peripheral, so the former is better suited to Monster Hunter.

Mdk7

Yeah and it will magically appear on the shelves, without a trailer, an announcement, anything.
Just like that, out of the blue.
#BELIEVE

I'll believe the rumor that says Nintendo and Capcom agreed MH cannot be released on other handheld consoles for 3 years (don't know when that started, probably 2010 or 2011).

And I'll believe the real world where wasting time porting MH to Vita will not happen unless Sony gave $50 million to Capcom.

They should.

Better than spending it on marketing and development honestly....that is assuming they have any plan to resuscitate the Vita from the grave in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom