• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monopoly at McDonalds 2013 (USA): Don't waste your energy peeling the stamps

Status
Not open for further replies.
logo-mcdonalds.png
logo-monopoly.png

Monopoly at McDonalds begins July 16th, but if you want to win the $1million prize this year..

(viii) Collect Park Place (#451) and Boardwalk (#452) to win a prize of One Million Dollars ($1,000,000*). Two (2) prizes are available (*payable $50,000/year for 20 years, without interest). The approximate odds of collecting Park Place are 1 in 11; the approximate odds of collecting Boardwalk are 1 in 602,490,060; the approximate odds of collecting the Winning Combination (Park Place and Boardwalk) are 1 in 3,050,412,898; the approximate odds of collecting the Winning Combination (Park Place and Boardwalk) found on Big Mac are 1 in 37,955,000.
(ix) Collect Reading Railroad (#453), Pennsylvania Railroad (#454), B&O Railroad (#455), and Short Line (#456) to win a prize of Shell Fuel for a Year. Four (4) prizes available, ARV: $2,350, calculated based on the average yearly gasoline consumption of 635.58 gallons per year (average 4.5 fuel purchases per month x average 11.77 gallons per purchase x 12 months) at $3.696 (US) per gallon (consistent with the U.S. Department of Energy statistics for regular grade gasoline as of March 18, 2013). Fluctuations in gasoline prices after March 18, 2013 will not affect the calculation of the Shell Fuel for a Year amount (see Rule 8) (NJ, VA, Guam and Saipan winners will receive $2,350 in bank card). The approximate odds of collecting Reading Railroad, Pennsylvania Railroad or B&O Railroad are 1 in 10; the approximate odds of collecting Short Line are 1 in 150,622,515; the approximate odds of collecting the Winning Combination (Reading Railroad, Pennsylvania Railroad, B&O Railroad and Short Line) are 1 in 5,945,378,686.

http://www.playatmcd.com/rules.html

I find it interesting that now McDonalds has to also factor in the odds of a person collecting the "common" pieces along with the rare piece. If you don't know which pieces are the "rare" ones by now you haven't been paying attention. But seriously, your odds are 1 in 5.9 BILLION to collect the railroads to win free gasoline and 1 in 3.1 Billion to collect Park Place & Boardwalk!!!

To put this in perspective, you are 34 times more likely to win the Powerball jackpot than free gas for a year.

So with that said:

5. IN-STORE GAME - PRIZES/ODDS/DETAILS: The odds of winning a prize in the In-Store Game are approximately 1 in 4. Odds based on Game Pieces (each has 2 Game Stamps); mostly Food Prizes.

1 in 4 wins free food!

( so peel the stamps if you're hungry )

bigosc2k

Banned
As kids me and my bro were always 1 stamp away from the entertainment package, actually one year my cousin had the piece we needed, only problem was the contest was over by a week.

Mr.Swag

Banned
I like winning the food. I know I'm not gonna win a million dollars, but I already eat McDonald's anyways, so I don't mind having a free egg mcmuffin or mccafe drink.

Ah McD's Monopoly.

I'll never forget when I was a young kid I actually went up & down the street and picked out the map that had two starter pieces on it from every single Sunday paper in peoples mailbox.

If only I still had the dedication...And sleep schedule of a 13 year old

Grinchy

Banned
So you have a 1 in 600 million chance of getting Boardwalk (you could easily get Park Place online if you had to)? And that's to get 50k per year for 20 years. I would love to have that money, but those odds make it seem like the prize should be much better.

edit-fixed

Feep

Banned
I always feel like most people either 1) Don't care about the game, or 2) Don't understand which stamps are rare. To any of us, a Boardwalk piece would immediate mean driving to the nearest McDonalds and buying out their stock of Big Macs till the inevitable Park Place came. It's likely that the one or two Boardwalks out there just get thrown out.

Slavik81

I always feel like most people either 1) Don't care about the game, or 2) Don't understand which stamps are rare. To any of us, a Boardwalk piece would immediate mean driving to the nearest McDonalds and buying out their stock of Big Macs till the inevitable Park Place came. It's likely that the one or two Boardwalks out there just get thrown out.
I've wondered about which stamps are rare, but it always seemed like more effort than it was worth to check the pieces I got, given how unlikely it was that they were worth anything.

That said, with the number of Park Place tokens I got, I was pretty sure Boardwalk was quite uncommon.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
6 Billion Big Macs and the sandwiches cost around $4 each. So in reality you would be spending $24 Billion to guarantee a cool $1 million. (These are US prices)

actually, you would be stupid to only buy single burgers. you should get the large combo for only 2 dollars more or whatever, so you get 6 more, 8 all together(?) for less than 9 bucks.

you would only need to spend 6 billion dollars to make a million.

I've never won any food, I have really bad luck.

1 in 4! you just need to buy a large combo and you've got a free food item...

I have also realized that the abundance of Park Place and Boardwalk alternate every year. One is easy to get and the other is the hard to get piece. It's a cruel, cruel game McDonalds plays every July.

Jimothy

Is McDonald's Monopoly the best marketing campaign in the history of mankind? If not, it has to be up there.

Rookje

One year my aunt who worked as a manager at McDonalds sent us a box of probably 200 of those stamps. We made around 3 complete boards just missing Park Place (the stamp that was the "rare" one that year)

So pretty much all of the pieces are pretty common except one. Pretty lame.

Ecotic

As kids me and my bro were always 1 stamp away from the entertainment package, actually one year my cousin had the piece we needed, only problem was the contest was over by a week.
Yep, that's how the game works. 2 of the 3 pieces needed are commonplace. The elusive final one is the one in a million piece.

I have also realized that the abundance of Park Place and Boardwalk alternate every year. One is easy to get and the other is the hard to get piece. It's a cruel, cruel game McDonalds plays every July.
Damn that is cruel. I thought the elusive piece was always the most expensive piece of the set. If I had found Boardwalk this year not knowing this I would have been crushed.

LycanXIII

Best year was when they gave out Best Buy gift certificates on the chicken tenders. Year after that they did discounts at Foot Locker. Been shit ever since.

I have been playing the game annually for at least 17 years and the "rare" pieces have always been the same. I know them by heart.

Mediterranean Ave
Vermont Ave
Virginia Ave
Tennessee Ave
Kentucky Ave
Ventnor Ave
Pennsylvania Ave
Boardwalk
Shortline Railroad

Never once have I seen one of these stamps in person, and I probably never will

Has anybody ever won the million?

Every year the million dollar prize is given away, but rarely is it due to someone collecting Park Place and Boardwalk. Unclaimed prizes are usually distributed in a give away that follows Monopoly.

nesboy43

Banned
I think it's a lot of fun, it is a bit like gambling as incentive to purchase food. As long as people don't get carried away it's a fun promotion, and for those who do it is a lesson learned.

When I was a child, I desperately wanted to play Monopoly @McD's when the game was in season, but the game pieces didn't come on kids meal food, and the toy during that time was usually something badass like hotwheels leaving me a tough decision every time. Maybe someone can relate

Gorillaz

Finding out that this whole thing is basically a joke as a kid was like finding out about santa

Spent so much
of my mom's
money trying to get board walk and park place

the best part of it all is that it's based off of my hometown Atlantic City and I still couldn't win shit when I use to live there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom