• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa V3 Review Thread

Interesting! I think my eyes are a bit more peeled knowing this game's a bit divisive, though I think I'll still pass. DanganRonpa's always been like a decent 7 or 8 series for me and I've fallen off since the anime and the spin-offs. The new trial mechanics look great though.

I think I'd consider it more if some of the gripes on that RPG Site review didn't speak to me so hard. This sounds a bit like the Ace Attorney 5 of DanganRonpa, which definitely isn't my cup of tea, sadly.

Powwa

The only thing DR1 has over 2 is

-Better survivors
-Better atmosphere

Other than that DR2 shits on DR1 from a great height. 1 just doesn't have any case as good as 2-1 and 2-5.

Overall package is much better than DR 2 that a few good cases doesn`t make 2 a better game. On first game story was plausible, not being able to leave the school corridors was really tense and it gave you a real sense of desperation, I really didn`t feel that with 2. After seeing the messed up things in DR1, DR2 didn`t really wow me. I was like "oh cool" most of the time. It just felt like they were going over the top with almost every case just for the sake of it.

To me DR2 always felt like it was made with the ideas that couldn`t make it to the first game. I still like 2 but it is just barely over UDG for me mostly due to its ending.

Mistle

The split between "loved it" and "hated it", and the fact that there seems to be an actual pinpoint moment where people get soured, has me extremely intrigued. I'm avoiding all spoilers but goddamn do I wanna know!!

I loved the first two games, the second even moreso, so I'm praying I fall on the "loved it" side for this one.

Choose one:

-Good pacing
-Japanese adventure game/visual novel

As a rule you can't have both.

I don't play many visual novels as a rule, but I think this may have something to do with that pacing, at least in Danganronpa's case:

C174MwS.png

Geg

Replaying both games when they came out on steam last year I agree that a lot of DR1 hasn't aged very well but I still loved most of DR2. The DR3 anime was all right. Had some good but a lot of bad also.

Hoping I like V3

selo

I'm not sure if I want this game or not. I'll probably end up getting it though.

Ever 17 is amazing and blows away anything else he has done.

Where can I get this ever 17? Is it available for purchase on pc? (I had never heard of it before)

DNAbro

I found this tidbit from Anime News Network review kind of interesting
Anime News Network
I'll be blunt: the finale to Danganronpa V3 is going to cause an absolute uproar, a wildfire in Danganronpa fandom that might not die down for a long time. It stands among the most ballsy conclusions to a franchise I have ever seen in any medium. (That's not to say Danganronpa as a whole will end with V3, but it certainly could.) It is so outrageous that I had to break my own personal policy of not writing in first person to tell you how outrageous it is. I know that sounds hyperbolic, so I wish I could defend this assertion with more concrete details, but I couldn't bear to do so. This ending is so important to how you will personally process everything leading up to it that spoilers will ruin Danganronpa V3 for you. Now I'm a firm believer that spoilers can't ruin most good stories, even the twist-driven mysteries spun by Danganronpa 1 and 2. The journey matters more than the destination, spoilers are overemphasized in entertainment discourse, blah blah blah, but no, this is a rare exception: Spoilers Will Ruin Danganronpa V3 For You. I know the curiosity can be overwhelming with this much hype, but you might not be able to even enjoy this game if you know how it ends early on, so avoid as much information as possible.

I'm a spoiler hound, so I already know what V3's big twist is. All I'm gonna say is that I'm really curious to see how it's executed, but I love the idea.

It absolutely is the kind of twist that will cause endless forum wars, though.

Sandfox

Where can I get this ever 17? Is it available for purchase on pc? (I had never heard of it before)

It was released in the west, but that was a really long time ago and the company that brought it over dropped out of the VN business.

GoldStarz

The split between "loved it" and "hated it", and the fact that there seems to be an actual pinpoint moment where people get soured, has me extremely intrigued. I'm avoiding all spoilers but goddamn do I wanna know!!

Chapter 1 or Chapter 6. Now you know and without even the getting spoiled.

I'm a spoiler hound, so I already know what V3's big twist is. All I'm gonna say is that I'm really curious to see how it's executed, but I love the idea.

It absolutely is the kind of twist that will cause endless forum wars, though.
It's executed poorly.

RRockman

Banned

This was before the age of digital games, so physical copies are really expensive and hard to find.

Most people end up sailing the high seas for the whereabouts, if you catch my drift.

EDIT: 200 USD ON EBAY It's a crime to even charge half as much for it if you ask me.

All this hype about the twist(s) is probably gonna leave me feeling "underwhelmed" like the anger over ME3's ending. I'd have to buy the writer/directer a beer if he could come up with something that could piss me off more than my own imagination of what the twist could be.

Without spoilers, are any of the characters huge standouts to those who went for the Japanese version? We're talking Byakuya or Tanaka levels.

Oh also even though we stopped talking about it, one of my favorite things about 2 was how everyone was a total loser. Like in 1 everyone's a super cool hotshot but even though everyone in 2 is an ultimate there's still this sense in their hangout dialogues that they're really lonely and never fit in anywhere. It's why I think the Island mode really complements the story as you see what could have happened if everything actually went as planned. Making friends with horrible weirdos resonated with me a lot more emotionally than the more generic "hope vs despair" stuff in 1 but obviously they're both great.

GoldStarz

Without spoilers, are any of the characters huge standouts to those who went for the Japanese version? We're talking Byakuya or Tanaka levels.

I'm not really sure what you mean by this since Togami is one of the members of the DR1 trio, so he's not a standard cast member but he's also kinda divisive while Gundam is well-liked but he's a 'standard' cast member. Could you explain?

emag

Ghost Trick

It's a real stretch to call Ghost Trick a VN. Some of the Ace Attorney games have pretty reasonable (not great) pacing, though, AA5 especially.

999 iOS was okay, too, without the mundane puzzles.

The only thing DR1 has over 2 is

-Better survivors
-Better atmosphere

Other than that DR2 shits on DR1 from a great height. 1 just doesn't have any case as good as 2-1 and 2-5.

So apart from characters, atmosphere/setting, plot/ending, mini games, and UI, all of which DR1 does better, what's left? Just the cases themselves? I'd agree that DR2's are largely better, but case 2-5 is vastly overrated by the community.

Feep

Banned
I'm not really sure what you mean by this since Togami is one of the members of the DR1 trio, so he's not a standard cast member but he's also kinda divisive while Gundam is well-liked but he's a 'standard' cast member. Could you explain?
He's just asking if any of the DR3 characters are exceptionally notable, I think.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
From the demo, the Ultimate Supreme Leader guy looks like he may be interesting. This dude:
ZiWhu87.png

I'll be pissed if he gets offed early.

Permanently A

It's a real stretch to call Ghost Trick a VN. Some of the Ace Attorney games have pretty reasonable (not great) pacing, though, AA5 especially.

999 iOS was okay, too, without the mundane puzzles.

It was not limited to VN, Japanese adventure games were included.

From the demo, the Ultimate Supreme Leader guy looks like he may be interesting. This dude:
ZiWhu87.png

I'll be pissed if he gets offed early.

I'm hoping he will be half way as interesting as Nagito was because I absolutely loved Nagito in DR2 he completely made the game for me.

I can't wait to see the ending for this game in order to see why it's so divisive.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I don't want to start throwing out stupid guesses, because my gut says I could actually get it right... but my gut says its going to be some dumb "They were dead the entire time!" twist.

I'm hoping he will be half way as interesting as Nagito because I absolutely loved Nagito in DR2 he completely made the game for me.

Yeah, Nagito was great, its a disappointment he likely won't show up in future games.

Kokichi Ouma (Ultimate Supreme Leader) and Kaito Momota (Ultimate Astronaut) were my favourites overall. For reference, my faves in DR1 were Mondo and Asahina and my faves in DR2 were Gundam and Akane.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So I take it this is better than UDG and D3 and maybe on par with DR1.

That's fine with me!

Kokichi Ouma (Ultimate Supreme Leader) and Kaito Momota (Ultimate Astronaut) were my favourites overall. For reference, my faves in DR1 were Mondo and Asahina and my faves in DR2 were Gundam and Akane.
😍

It's like in talking to myself.

Alright, gonna peace out before I click on one of these spoilers or figure out the twist. I'll join y'all in the meltdowns next week.

How does the vita version seem to fare? I had a hard time figuring it out for myself with the demo because the audio patch wasn’t available for it.

Man, all this talk about V3's twist(s) is really getting me antsy. I need to see this for myself. I guess whether I love it or hate it, at least it seems like it will get a strong reaction out of me.

Just one more week...

aravuus

Surprisingly unexcited about this one considering how much I loved DR1 and 2, but the divisiveness talk intrigues me. Day one either way, though I'm not sure if I'll actually play it day one lol.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So I'm guessing the ending is as divisive as say... Star Ocean 3's?

DNI_R

Neo Member
So people hate ZTD that much? I thought it was a fun ride. But i don't value the whole Zero Escape franchise that much either. 999 for me was the least enjoyable with its inconsistent writing, and VLR while having a very good story and cool ending was absolutely tedious and took too long to get to the good bits. ZTD for me stands above 999, it was fun, thrilling and even with its issues and confusing ending it was pretty exciting. The plot was simple, but in my opinion much more effective in doing what it wanted to do and less of a mess than in the first two games.

Regarding Danganronpa V3. When i heard that the main game takes 60 hours to finish, it immediately got me worried. There is no way they keep it well paced and equally fun in all chapters then and bigger length means more annoying minigames (not my favorite part of these games). I am eager to try it out even if i didn't expect these lower scores form the reviewers.
And i really hope it is better than UDG, that game was a waste of money and time.

The demo didn't win me over with the characters and "YOU GOTTA PLAY IT FOR YOURSELF" doesn't exactly make me want to play it. So I just looked up the spoilers and I can't wait for launch day lol.

The soundtrack seems like it's great as always though. Rise and shine, ursine is a fucking dope track.

ZTD is asscheeks and it's hard to find people who disagree.

VLR is more of a divisive game.

I don't comprehend the exaggerated ZTD hatred. Yes, the game is weak compared to the first two and felt more like a spin-off than a proper conclusion. That said, I still had fun. It's not terrible in and of itself, just weak when measured against my expectations as a series super-fan.

As for V3, I finally picked up 1, last time it was on sale. I really should start it. Seems like the series is worth catching up on.

Top Bottom