• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice: Famitsu review details

Thanks to Aerys from the ign boards for the info.

Soul Sacrifice Famitsu review: 10/9/9/9 37/40

-Over 300 types of magic with a deep crafting system.
-About 25 hours to complete story on single player, multiplayer content expands this to several hundred hours.
-Superb storytelling through the grimoire system and its journal entries.
-Story is quite moving and definitely worth the time to experience.
-Huge variation of spells makes for extremely deep tactical multiplayer experience.
-Team work and role assignment in multiplayer has immense potential.
-Dying and being sacrificed is still fun and does not affect rewards.
-Being able to continue fighting even when dead is extremely welcome feature.
-The dark fantasy theme is well portrayed and written, although it may be too dark for some people's taste.
-Difficulty level is very high, but the high speed action is extremely fun and rewarding to learn.
-Salvation and Sacrifice system adds surprisingly profound and meaningful choice to the game.
-It might be "another hunting game" but it is overflowing with originality.
-Single player is fun in its own right, but multiplayer is where the game really shines. The more the merrier!

Some extra stuff. Strategy guide cover.

1361857594122_ss_pcm_hgoqr.png

Hail Inafking.

GCX

Aren't Famitsu reviews usually like two sentences from each reviewer, eg. "Battle system was deeper than expected, enemies were hard and the minigames were fun. I really liked the color of grass. 10/10"?

Eusis

Aren't Famitsu reviews usually like two sentence from each reviewer, eg. "Battle system was deeper than I expected, enemies were hard and the minigames were fun. I really liked the color of grass. 10/10"?
And this is why you take it with a grain of salt. It's reassuring, but I want to see the opinions of people who either give a real damn or don't have conflicting interests behind the scenes.

Pretty damn impressive...I will be getting this on Psvita for sure, but I almost hope they do sequel/spin off on PS4...seems like it has a tone of potential

-About 25 hours to complete story on single player, multiplayer content expands this to several hundred hours.

Was worried about the 25 hour comment. But now hype levels are high. :D

Rootbeer

Banned
Wow, shaping up better than I expected. Going to be a very important game for the Vita, that's for sure.

day one

so glad to see it has nice story and storytelling. I don't think I'll be playing this online, mainly getting this for the interesting lore/story/setting and gameplay looking awesome too is nice too of course.

I hope it isn't too hard in single player

mclem

Admittedly, there's only *so* many ways you can draw a face, but holy heck that fox face looks so much like Mickey at a glance.

Everything from the actual yellowy 'face' bit inwards is uncannily similar.

Eusis

Admittedly, there's only *so* many ways you can draw a face, but holy heck that fox face looks so much like Mickey at a glance.

Everything from the actual yellowy 'face' bit inwards is uncannily similar.
He's their mascot as I recall.

On that note, seeing him right there on the cover is like having Mickey Mouse slapped on the corner of a God of War cover or something.

extralite

Aren't Famitsu reviews usually like two sentences from each reviewer, eg. "Battle system was deeper than expected, enemies were hard and the minigames were fun. I really liked the color of grass. 10/10"?

You only read translations, not the actual reviews, now do you? EGM cross reviews are the same format as Famitsu, if you remember those. Only with four people. That's 3-4 longer sentences from each.

-The dark fantasy theme is well portrayed and written, although it may be too dark for some people's taste.

Reason No. 1 why this won't sell the millions of Vitas some people seem to want it to, or maybe it deserves. The art style/themes alone won't appeal to most people in the handheld demographic.

DiscoJer

Reason No. 1 why this won't sell the millions of Vitas some people seem to want it to, or maybe it deserves. The art style/themes alone won't appeal to most people in the handheld demographic.

Still, you would think maybe the the Monster Hunter demographic might like a more darker vibe. Except for the Hello Kitty crossover and that cat village spinoff game. So maybe you're right.

Eusis

Well, if they're trying to win over the more hardcore crowd it's a step in the right direction, but it's really not enough except maybe getting more of the very core brought in. if it's really good anyway.

Maedhros

If the game plays really, really great (if it's a new hit like MH was at it's time), word to word spread will make the game sells regardless of artstyle.

At least I still think gamers should care about gameplay first, but seeing that shitty topic about lolis, I'm not really sure anymore.

Eusis

At least I still think gamers should care about gameplay first, but seeing that shitty topic about lolis, I'm not really sure anymore.
We all have our limits, though some people set them absurdly short (I still can't fathom skipping FFXIII-2 on that alone, none of the characters I can think of are truly bad offenders there.)

I was hoping for a 39/40, so it could sell more Vita's, but this game sounds beautiful. I really wasn't sure if there was actually any real story in the game, but I guess there is. Can't wait.

Twinduct

How popular is Bezerk in japan? I know it's "popular" as in cult status, but how financially successful is the series there?

darkwing

-Difficulty level is very high, but the high speed action is extremely fun and rewarding to learn.
-Salvation and Sacrifice system adds surprisingly profound and meaningful choice to the game.

wow, liking this very much

Eusis

How popular is Bezerk in japan? I know it's "popular" as in cult status, but how financially successful is the series there?
It's been around a long time, so I have to assume it's financially successful, but you can be that at cult status. Maybe you mean how prolific is it REALLY?

I hope that it's definitely a good game and that this good review isn't just the result of money hats. The Vita desperately needs good exclusive games like that.

We all have our limits, though some people set them absurdly short (I still can't fathom skipping FFXIII-2 on that alone, none of the characters I can think of are truly bad offenders there.)

Wow, people were skipping out on XIII-2 because of that? It's not even remotely as bad as the loli stuff I'm used to seeing. It could be labeled as too cute at best, but I still think that's slightly pushing it.

Erethian

You only read translations, not the actual reviews, now do you? EGM cross reviews are the same format as Famitsu, if you remember those. Only with four people. That's 3-4 longer sentences from each.

They probably don't read the actual reviews because nobody in their right mind takes Famitsu reviews seriously, except when it's for a game they like.

Twinduct

It's been around a long time, so I have to assume it's financially successful, but you can be that at cult status. Maybe you mean how prolific is it REALLY?

Maybe, I'm trying to think of financially successful franchises that has a similar dark art theme. I guess it would be more akin to compare this to Demon's Souls.
But I doubt DS got the push and love SS is getting from Sony.

Eusis

I dunno about Japan, but A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones seems to be a big deal here at least. Though I guess Berserk getting movies says something right there.
No more than everywhere else.
I was thinking that. It could be a bit more or a bit less, or even significantly more, but I doubt it's on the level of "Dragon Quest is super popular in Japan, relatively niche elsewhere especially America."

rallaren

Game looks like a BEAST! Vita needs all it can get.

True.

Does it need loads of ports or what?

It has only been out for a year though.

Maedhros

They probably don't read the actual reviews because nobody in their right mind takes Famitsu reviews seriously, except when it's for a game they like.

I don't take grades seriously, but from any media really. The written review is always a nice place to look for information about the game, though.

Ratrat

At 33 million it'll be in the top 30 to 50 best sellIng manga ever. I think the 3rd movie was just released this month with an 18+ rating.

I guess this will make me jump in... too bad I can't find any good deals on a WiFi only Vita in Fukuoka tho.

Also, multi accounts on one memory card are still a "no" I guess?

Top Bottom