• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Computer unresponsive and HDD usage at 100% service host local service Win8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Swine

Banned
My computer has been working great until this morning. Started up as normal and when I wanted to play stalker Clear sky my PC became unresponsive. It took a good 10 minutes before I could restart my PC but the same problem persisted.

Looked at Task Manager and the HDD is at 100% load all the time. Did a windows error checking on the HDD and a Windows Maintenance but both said there was no problem at all. I did find out (I think) that its Service Host Local Service that is causing the problem. I have now my PC turned of and no power cord plugged in. If the same problem is still there then what am I supposed to do?

Mr Swine

Banned
Doesn't the Win 8 task manager show what programs are using the HDD?

Yeah, it was service host and another one. But looking at the resource manager it was service host that is using the HDD. I'm going to start my PC in 10 minutes and I hope to god it's gone :/

Tacitus_

Yeah, it was service host and another one. But looking at the resource manager it was service host that is using the HDD. I'm going to start my PC in 10 minutes and I hope to god it's gone :/

If it's not gone, try downloading UBCD and running a deep HDD check from there.

strata8

The Resource Monitor should be able to tell you what file it's writing to under the 'Disk Activity' tab, so check that out as well if it's still there.

Yup, sounds like defrag. Windows 8 does it in kinda funny way that can make it seem that your computer is doing 100% HDD usage for a long time if you have installed something big recently.

Mr Swine

Banned
Hi again!

Seems that it was Stalker that messed things up. Started the game and loaded a save file which took 4-5 minutes. The game froze for like a half second every 5 seconds but upon exiting the game my HDD usage went from 100% to 0%.

Scanned my computer and found no virus so far. So did Stalker do something and effed up windows somehow?

Sounds like it's defraging, see how often you have it set to do.

Yup, sounds like defrag. Windows 8 does it in kinda funny way that can make it seem that your computer is doing 100% HDD usage for a long time if you have installed something big recently.

Would it stop if I started to play a game?

verbum

I remembered seeing a post on a Steam forum about Stalker and Win8.
Here it is:

I don`t know if you still got this problem, but i got near identical trouble, which drove me crazy for days. <to make it short: i jaust disbled steam overlay in Win 8... and guess what? That friggin` game startet for the first time AND let me set all options in the menue AND start new game without crashing.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/4500/discussions/0/828925849274618212/#p1

But then others said they run the game and have overlay enabled.

Would it stop if I started to play a game?

It should, it's designed to do it when your computer is doing something insignificant. But then again, it could be that Stalker is doing something that makes the filesystem/W8 confused. And yeah, turn off Steam Overlay for a test.

Mr Swine

Banned
It should, it's designed to do it when your computer is doing something insignificant. But then again, it could be that Stalker is doing something that makes the filesystem/W8 confused. And yeah, turn off Steam Overlay for a test.

I guess so. My PC is working fine so far but yeah I'm going to turn off the Steam Overlay in the future if it happens more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom