• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata implies he may resign over poor business performance

http://www.itmedia.co.jp/news/articles/1301/31/news090.html
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/130131/index.html

Translation of ITmedia report follows:

At an analysts' meeting on the 31st, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata (53) implied that there is a possibility that he may resign if he is unable to achieve 100 billion yen (US$1.09963 billion) in operating income for the next fiscal year. The company had recently revised its forecast for operating income for the full year ending March 31, 2013 to -20 billion yen (US$220.144 million), making the goal a high hurdle. Iwata aimed to appeal to investors by putting himself on the line to recover the business.

President Iwata, having seen 2 consecutive years of losses, apologized by saying, "We feel greatly accountable for this severe outlook." He further explained that the basis of meeting the goal by saying, "...we plan to actively release our key titles for Nintendo 3DS which could potentially lead the markets this year."

In the midst of sluggish sales for the next-generation home console Wii U released last year, Iwata also indicated that portable and home console development groups would be merged.

When asked how he would take responsibility if the goal is not met, Iwata emphasized his strong determination by saying, "Please understand that [achieving it] is my commitment."

Iwata, formerly the president of a development company making games for Nintendo, was selected in 2002 at the young age of 43 by former Nintendo President Hiroshi Yamauchi, being called a person who had skill in both game development and administration.

Shares of Nintendo stock were sold off on the Osaka Securities Exchange on the 31st, at one point falling 530 yen from the previous close to 8820 yen.

EDIT:

The title of this thread is a translation of the ITmedia report headline. If you don't believe me, here's a breakdown...

ITmedia said:
任天堂・岩田社長、業績不振で辞任も示唆 ゲーム機開発部門を一本化へ

任天堂・岩田社長、 Nintendo President Iwata
業績不振で due to poor business performance
辞任も even resignation
示唆 implication

ゲーム機 console
開発 development
部門を group(s)
一本化へ integrate

The first sentence of the article...

ITmedia said:
任天堂の岩田聡社長(53)は31日のアナリスト向け説明会で、平成26年3月期に1千億円以上の営業利益を目指すことについて、「コミットメント(公約)」と説明し、達成できない場合は辞任を含め経営責任を取る可能性を示唆した。

任天堂の岩田聡社長(53)は Nintendo President Satoru Iwata (53)
31日のアナリスト向け説明会で、 at the analysts' meeting on the 31st
平成26年3月期に in the fiscal year ending March, Heisei 26 (2014)
1千億円以上の over 100 billion yen in
営業利益を operating income
目指すことについて、 about aiming for,
「コミットメント(公約)」 "commitment"
と説明し、 thus said,
達成できない場合は if not achieved
辞任を含め including resignation
経営責任を取る take management responsibility
可能性を possibility
示唆した。 implied.

The specific question and answer...

ITmedia said:
岩田社長は「達成できなかった場合は、どう責任を取るのか」という質問に対し、「コミットメントという言葉を使ったことで、ご理解頂きたい」と強い決意を示した。

岩田社長は President Iwata,
「達成できなかった場合は、 "If you couldn't achieve it,
どう責任を取るのか」 how will you take responsibility?"
という質問に対し、 in response to the question:
「コミットメントという言葉を "The word 'commitment'
使ったことで、 I used,
ご理解頂きたい」 please understand,"
と強い決意を with strong determination
示した。 indicated.

EDIT 2:

Remember, Iwata's goal is to reach 100 billion yen in operating income between 4/1/2013 and 3/31/2014, not the term that just ended. If you thought there was any implication/possibility of Iwata stepping down now, you must not have read Q7/Q8 here: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/schedule/index.html

100 billion?!!! 3D mario and Mario Kart confirmed for the holidays.

An interesting situation, I would who would replace Iwata?

Who knows, who thought Iwata would be the one to replace Yamauchi? There are probably many talented people at Nintendo we don't hear about.

Hasney

God I hope they keep him in some position if that happened. He has become the face of Nintendo to me and I would be hugely gutted if he wasn't around anymore.

That said, numbers don't lie and they probably will need someone new in that position if they're in the same place this time next year.

An interesting situation, I would who would replace Iwata?

Kwazy Ken Kutaragi

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I hope he doesn't resign, even if I think he'd still have an important place in Nintendo after his stepdown (I mean not a total withdraw). And actually, I have a feeling he won't resing however...

AniHawk

my thoughts:

1. would iwata choose his own replacement, or would it be the board, or would it somehow be yamauchi?
2. $1b in operating income is a fucking high mark. they aren't hitting that unless every major title hits and is a pretty damn good success.
3. would iwata stay with the company as part of the board, get window seated, or just do his own thing?
4. i wonder how the next president would take care of things. iwata was firm against the 3rd party idea, but if someone who isn't a game maker takes his place, who knows?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
An industry with Iwata is not an industry I want to part of. Have you seen the hair of the other guys? U.G.L.Y. they ain't got no alibi indeed.

Acheteedo

I don't think the blame can entirely land on him, I just think the fundamental idea behind the WiiU is a poor one that was never going to take off. A Wii-like runaway success is a crazy thing to expect to happen, you can't plan your business around doing that repeatedly... hmm, so maybe it is his fault.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
My perceptions of the man are incredibly skewed. I literally only see him as a PR mouthpiece thanks to trade shows, Nintendo Direct and Iwata Asks, all of which I feel are really valuable in making Nintendo feel relatable. However I haven't actively been excited for a Nintendo product be it hardware or software for a really long time. Is that Iwata's fault or is Nintendo just not for me anymore? I really don't know.

Edit: I take it back, I am fucking hype as shit for Animal Crossing 3DS. Where the fuck is it?

MrHicks

Banned
get rid of reggie already
other then comic relief WTF does that guy even do?

"nintendo of america" is a total joke

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I like Iwata. I don't know if he has the know how to dig Nintendo out of their current position without doing the things they most definitely do not want to do, but I'm not sure many/anybody does. But I like him. I like listening to him speak. I am convinced he comes from an honest, software quality first place. And I think he has a good head on his shoulders for keeping the games fun at Nintendo.

If he were to resign, it would be nice if he stayed on, at the very least to host Nintendo Direct. I like him as a face of Nintendo.

Well, 3DS is profitable and 2013 should be it's strongest year, also software sales wise.

Wii U - situation is going to look better in March with an ongoing stream of games (ac. to Nintendo), two months to go. ;)

Iwata is smart enough (despite their current situation).

I don't think the blame can entirely land on him, I just think the fundamental idea behind the WiiU is a poor one that was never going to take off. A Wii-like runaway success is a crazy thing to expect to happen, you can't plan your business around doing that repeatedly... hmm, so maybe it is his fault.

He was ultimately behind setting the 3DS price at 250, so no matter how much things may seem out of his control, that one thing cost them a lot of money. I do want him to continue to Iwata asks, and actually i wonder if he would ever go back to doing development. Iwata is extremely smart guy about videogames and it would be ashame for that talent to go to waste.

2MF

Interesting... I wonder what alignment of circumstances is necessary for that profit to happen. Is it even possible with a Wii U price cut?

Petrae

I think new leadership would be a good thing. Fresh perspective and analysis of how to right the ship. I've been of the mindset that Iwata has to go for a couple of years now. While Nintendo did have success for a time, relative inaction on the console front and inability to spark 3DS success outside of Japan are on him.

AniHawk

also:

At an analysts' meeting on the 31st, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata (53)

Iwata, formerly the president of a development company making games for Nintendo, was selected 14 years ago at the young age of 43 by former Nintendo President Hiroshi Yamauchi, being called a person who had skill in both game development and administration.

math.

I think new leadership would be a good thing. Fresh perspective and analysis of how to right the ship. I've been of the mindset that Iwata has to go for a couple of years now. While Nintendo did have success for a time, relative inaction on the console front and inability to spark 3DS success outside of Japan are on him.

that person would get stuck with the current mess, kinda like iwata got left with the gamecube. they wouldn't be able to turn anything around until the next generation. i don't envy that position.

my thoughts:

1. would iwata choose his own replacement, or would it be the board, or would it somehow be yamauchi?
2. $1b in operating income is a fucking high mark. they aren't hitting that unless every major title hits and is a pretty damn good success.
3. would iwata stay with the company as part of the board, get window seated, or just do his own thing?
4. i wonder how the next president would take care of things. iwata was firm against the 3rd party idea, but if someone who isn't a game maker takes his place, who knows?

There's no way Nintendo would just kick Iwata out and not give him a board position considering how long he has worked for the company and how much he has done for the company.

Iwata will ascend to the Board of Nintendo Gods if he so wishes. Or it would be pretty cool if he went back to developing games.

And Yamauchi? Back to president? You realize how old that motherfucker is? He specifically retired back in the day because of how old he was.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
On the hot seat indeed :/

That would be pretty rough. I guess you're only as good as your last hit. I would miss him, he's very likeable.

Jack Tretton should give Satoru Iwata a call and arrange some life coaching "god knows I've been there, together we can work through this."
it could be a new reality TV show

gaming_noob

Complete 180 degree. Nintendo was unstoppable...like Zynga once was. Really sad but at least we won't be seeing Iwata laughing gifs for a while.

Mr. Fix

I like Iwata. I don't know if he has the know how to dig Nintendo out of their current position without doing the things they most definitely do not want to do, but I'm not sure many/anybody does. But I like him. I like listening to him speak. I am convinced he comes from an honest, software quality first place. And I think he has a good head on his shoulders for keeping the games fun at Nintendo.

If he were to resign, it would be nice if he stayed on, at the very least to host Nintendo Direct. I like him as a face of Nintendo.

This. Wish I could say the same for Kaz/Tretton though. They seem like bricks.

Petrae

get rid of reggie already
other then comic relief WTF does that guy even do?

"nintendo of america" is a total joke

I agree with this. Fils-Aime's "tough guy" act has gotten stale and lack of major success over last couple of years should signal opening for a new face at the helm-- even if it would be as a puppet, as many claim that this position entails.

AniHawk

Ah, year 14 meant Heisei. Fixed.

ah, i didn't know you were running the translation.

There's no way Nintendo would just kick Iwata out and not give him a board position considering how long he has worked for the company and how much he has done for the company.

Iwata will ascend to the Board of Nintendo Gods if he so wishes. Or it would be pretty cool if he went back to developing games.

And Yamauchi? Back to president? You realize how old that motherfucker is? He specifically retired back in the day because of how old he was.

no, i just wonder if he'd offer his input, or make a very strong suggestion. it's still his family's company. kinda.

reminder

Bring Yamauchi back. I never thought i'd ever say this, but i liked Nintendo more under Yamauchi, even if some of his decisions were questionable.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
we won't be seeing Iwata laughing gifs for a while.

itGuo2cd67cwX.gif

The dream is dead.

Top Bottom