• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESRB Watch: Persona 2: Eternal Punishment coming to PS3/PSP PSN via PSone classic

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be nice to see the Japanese originals end up going on their PSN. I wonder how long the PSP ports will prevent that from happening .. (forever?)

Dantis

Hey Nich, no idea if you're still lurking around here, but what are the chances of an EU release? I'd rather get it on my primary account if I could.

cj_iwakura

I can't fathom what could be blocking the PSP version if not sales(which was my theory due to EP bombing in Japan).

It's not Elisha LaVerne, because she's in the PS1 version too.

Lain

Nah, but I'm happy this is at least known now. I wrote a PSBlog article about it that will probably go up in a couple weeks, which touches on why the PSP version couldn't happen--and that's a "couldn't," not a "didn't," which is sadly all I'll ever really be able to say. It didn't have anything to do with fears of low sales.

English isn't my strong point, so bear with me, but what does the bolded mean exactly? PSP version couldn't happen, and it's a couldn't, not a didn't... but the PSP version didn't happen and isn't gonna happen, so how can it be a couldn't but not a didn't?
Is the meaning that the localization was already going on or planned to happen and then something happened and it became a couldn't that in turn became a didn't for all intents and purposes?
Not looking for an explanation about AtlusUSA actions (as much as I'd like to know), more about the meaning of that passage since it confuses me a lot.

NichM

Banned
Hey Nich, no idea if you're still lurking around here, but what are the chances of an EU release? I'd rather get it on my primary account if I could.

No guarantees (since EP never came out in Europe on PSOne, it'd mean getting it rated for those territories) but I'll ask about it on Tuesday.

Eusis

Also, uh, will this require another OT? :p
Well, SS2 got one for whatever that's worth.
I can't fathom what could be blocking the PSP version if not sales(which was my theory due to EP bombing in Japan).
It sounds like it's probably some programming hangups, whether it's lack of man power or somehow NOT having the foresight to make it reasonable for localization. I'd think Japanese developers would be better about that now, but I keep being surprised in the most amazing ways, and it IS a PS1 title ultimately.

cjkeats

Why not both versions, so I can play them on my TV?

You already can
PSPcomponent_LG.jpg

lol, I'm kidding, this was a terrible solution that I still wish worked better.

cj_iwakura

Sounds like Nich's going to lay it out pretty thoroughly, but if necessary I can break down the translation differences in the OT when it releases(I doubt I'll bother making a new one).

cj_iwakura

By the way, and I will defend this to the death, EP PS had a great translation. Swap out the Revelations references and it's just about perfect.

Taruranto

By the way, and I will defend this to the death, EP PS had a great translation. Swap out the Revelations references and it's just about perfect.

Well, it certainly wasn't bad, but having replayed it recently, i thought some sentences were too-literal. (like
Lisa-Tatsuya interaction in the TV Dungeon)

Certainly better than IS PSP translation, honorifics and "Big Maya", ugh.

cj_iwakura

Well, it certainly wasn't bad, but having replayed it recently, i thought some sentences were too-literal. (like
Lisa-Tatsuya interaction in the TV Dungeon)

Certainly better than IS PSP translation, honorifics and "Big Maya", ugh.

I actually like Eikichi's voice more in EP than IS. He sounds like a surfer dude.

Jun sounds HORRIBLE in EP. Lisa is good either way.

I don't think Nich is a Magic 8 Ball we should be hitting up for the details of every single Atlus business decision, it's just nice that he's around to correct things when he can.

As for the reason why Nocturne isn't up on PSN, Ghostlight said they've had emulation issues getting the DDS games up, so maybe that's it.

Digital Devil 1/2 are on the EU PSN already, they have been for almost a year now, seems strange that they would work in EU PSN but not in US PSN.

They were supposed to be up about a year ago, but I don't remember the exact reason why.

Ghostlight posted an update on their latest blog post (the post itself is unrelated to the DDS games):

http://blog.ghostlight.uk.com/post/maken-shao-demon-sword-gets-a-psn-release-date

On a related topic - and before you ask – the situation with the Digital Devil Saga games remains unchanged. We’re still waiting for an update to the PS2 emulator which will allow us to release them.

vall03

I really dont mind this, though I just got a PS1 copy last month. Would still prefer the PSP version though because of the enhancements.

This is less than desirable, but I can live with it if a fan translation happens for the PSP version. Would be awesome if Atlus USA at least translated some of the new sections and just posted them online.

After I accepted the loss of the Hard difficulty (which seemed to actually be harder than the normal game's difficulty this time around), the Tatsuya scenarios (this hurts the most), the correct character and location names for the Persona 1 characters and the slick new interface, This is a fine version of this game. I am stoked to be able to get the entire series on one platform finally! (Arena doesn't count, holmes.)

Finally, I'll be able to play the only three good Persona games on the go (Persona 1, EP and IS)!

Cue:
iNZmnmbIvK7gc.jpg

(also lol @ ShopTo advert, because a) it's banned for a now-invalid reason [admittedly it was a good reason at the time, but these days it's pretty much my preferred establishment for buying games. I don't think the case for it remaining banned holds up these days], and b) the deal being promoted isn't very good. CoDBlOps 2 for £38? Now? LOL).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom