• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita Firmware 1.80 Features Detailed (Release: August 28)

Andrefpvs

One of the key announcements coming out of Gamescom today is that the next PS Vita System Software Update (v1.80) is coming your way late August, and will add support for playing PSone Classics on your PlayStation Vita. I know a lot of you have been looking forward to playing original PlayStation titles on the go.

In addition, you will be able to make various setting changes while games are running and take screenshots of your gameplay.
*It might not be possible to take screenshots in some applications, or in some parts of applications.

Listed below are a few other new features that will be added with the 1.80 update:

Cross Controller

The new Cross-Controller feature will allow you to use PS Vita as a controller to play compatible games on PS3, such as LittleBigPlanet 2. This feature lets you take advantage of PS Vita’s rich features including the touch screen, rear touch pad, six-axis motion sensing system, and cameras.

To access the cross controller feature you need to launch the Remote Play application and then click on the Cross-Controller icon.

Controls

As many of you have requested, you will now have the option to control the home screen and some features of applications such as Videos and Music with the buttons on the PS Vita system.

Music

Playlists will be supported in Music. You will be able to transfer iTunes (10.6.3 or later), M3U, and M3U8 playlists from a PS3 or a PC using Content Manager.
Web Browser

Rear touch pad operation will be supported by the browser, allowing you to scroll through and zoom out of pages without obscuring the screen.

Video

The following controls have been added to Videos:

• Playback speed control
  • Repeat play

Photos

Viewing photos in MPO format will now be supported, with the ability to transfer MPO files from PS3 and PC using Content Manager.
* 3D and multi-angle viewing are NOT supported.

Group Messaging

Along with some new layout enhancements, you will be able to take photos to add as attachments when writing Group Messages.

Maps

The Maps feature has been improved by adding a button on the top screen to switch between “Search for Location” and “Search for Directions.” You can also touch and hold a location on the map and place a user flag.

“near”

“near” will be able to gather the information of surrounding Wi-Fi access points without internet connection and update the location data based on it later. You can get location data within the area covered by Wi-Fi location services.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/08/14/psone-classics-coming-to-ps-vita-via-the-latest-system-software-update-v1-80/
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/08/14/psone-classics-coming-to-ps-vita-via-the-latest-system-software-update-v1-80/

guest1321

wait so even if you can't connect to the network near will figure out it's location later? Or is it only to wifi spots that you have previously connected to?

pantsmith

Playlists!

Previously I had to copy the songs and change their album names into playlists, just to listen to them in order. Muuuch better.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Controlling the system with buttons is nice, but that and PS1 support should have been there day 1. Very disappointed at the lack of folder support, I'm at the limit of my 10 pages for Pete's sake and now they're adding PS1 to the fray so it's only going to get harder.

VanWinkle

Folders should have been the main priority for the firmware update, honestly. However, I'm really glad that you can control the homescreens and menus with buttons now.

Andrefpvs

I've updated the OP with the working link. Also, it appears that there are two threads about this, maybe merge the two if possible?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
When the systems / games that are already on the system have trouble getting "ported" properly, why would ANYONE think that all currently downloadable PS1 games would be available "day 1"?

Good to see it's coming, though!

PS Mobile, PS1, PSP, Minis... A good amount of variety. I can wait on a few PS1 games, as long as all avenues see solid releases fairly often. I just hope the obscure stuff doesn't take a back seat to the "big names", as it's the smaller, harder to find, unique releases which really have my interest for the PS1 classics...

Cade

Home screen buttons and rear touchpad browsing are nearly as exciting as PS1 support for me, and I'm not being sarcastic.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Cool firmware. And I assume that as ninja feature includes the PS1 support too.
It's the MAIN feature of this update.
KuGsj.gif

Thoraxes

Controls
As many of you have requested, you will now have the option to control the home screen and some features of applications such as Videos and Music with the buttons on the PS Vita system.
MEGATONNNNNNNNNNNNN

Dunno why I missed it the first time.

Photos

Viewing photos in MPO format will now be supported, with the ability to transfer MPO files from PS3 and PC using Content Manager.
* 3D and multi-angle viewing are NOT supported.

So a coder simply allowed the system to open mpo file with their jpeg decoder and they make a news out of it.

Firmware update 1.90 - planned to be released in 2013

Browser
New function to view HTML source of the page

New comments in the codebase
Our intern was allowed to add 5 comment lines in our code base

New version number
Version number was increase from 1.80 to 1.90

test_account

XP-39C²
So a coder simply allowed the system to open mpo file with their jpeg decoder and they make a news out of it.

Firmware update 1.90 - planned to be released in 2013

Browser
New function to view HTML source of the page

New comments in the codebase
Our intern was allowed to add 5 comment lines in our code base

New version number
Version number was increase from 1.80 to 1.90
I dont see what the problem is. This is one line of the update, simply stating that .mpo files are now supported. Do you prefer that they didnt mention it?

patsu

Yes, on the Vita, they have to explicitly allow .MPO files into the memcard because the Vita Content Manager validate each files going in/out of the system. So it's definitely more work than just getting the same jpeg decoder to open a different file.

Top Bottom