• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 3 PC Performance Thread

Mononoke

Banned
Well, I actually feel pretty good, if my i5 2320 3.4ghz is running close to what you guys are getting at max settings.

Just means (as you guys put it), game isn't optimized properly. So later driver updates should get things set right.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Don't see many single-gpu testimonies, how's the 670/680 performance?

Mononoke

Banned
Don't see many single-gpu testimonies, how's the 670/680 performance?

What resolution are you?

Well, I tested out my GTX 680 with SLI disabled. However, i'm at 2560x1600p resolution. With everything maxed out just using a single GPU, I was getting abysmal 15-25FPS (with dips below 15). That said, after playing a bit it started to open up to 25-30FPS but never staying constant.

Using the exact same settings with SLI, it was around 35-44 FPS (with dipping to no lower than 30 FPS). But again, 2560x1600p resolution, you have to factor in other things, like my overall PC setup. (I was also using MSAA x2)

EDIT: Someone above at 1080p said they were getting locked 30FPS with a single (and everything Maxed out). Although he hasn't updated his drivers.

Damian.

Banned
680 with a 2600k at 3.8, 1080p, everything at very high I basically get a locked 30fps. I have yet to update my drivers either.

This is my setup but I want to play at 1080p60. Can you pull this performance with everything at High with a sprinkling of Very High on a couple settings? I will only be using FXAA.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
680 with a 2600k at 3.8, 1080p, everything at very high I basically get a locked 30fps. I have yet to update my drivers either.

Sounds perfect, that's pretty much what I was hoping for performancewise on a 670/80. Capped 30 with all settings max and basic AA.

Hopefully some tweaking will lead to doors opening for downsampling but I ain't holding my breath.

SoundLad

I was playing the beta with at 1080p with all settings maxed except water and shadows at HIGH and the least demanding AA (FXAA iirc?) with ingame V-sync off (adaptive vsync instead) and I was getting 50-60fps.
My rig is i7 3770 @ 4.1Ghz, 8Gb 1600Mhz RAM, Palit GTX 680 2Gb Jetstream using the 310.90 drivers.

From reading this thread it seems that the performance is suffering greatly compared to the beta :(

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I was playing the beta with at 1080p with all settings maxed except water and shadows at HIGH and the least demanding AA (FXAA iirc?) with ingame V-sync off (adaptive vsync instead) and I was getting 50-60fps.
My rig is i7 3770 @ 4.1Ghz, 8Gb 1600Mhz RAM, Palit GTX 680 2Gb Jetstream using the 310.90 drivers.

From reading this thread it seems that the performance is suffering greatly compared to the beta :(
It's more likely that the SP has more eye candy than the MP.

Damn, so I should only expect sub 30 FPS at medium settings on my 660? The MP beta ran better than that I thought... does the SP game look that much better?

Sethos

Banned
You can't compare a multiplayer Beta with single-player performance ... C'mon!

Load up the MP maps in the retail and they're running straight 60, they are nowhere near as intensive as the SP section.

No because I have had it jump up to 60fps a couple of times.

It sounds like V-sync is locking your framerate to 30 FPS when the game dips below 60 FPS, then locking it to 60 FPS when the game runs at 60 or above. You'd probably get a higher framerate with V-sync disabled or V-sync enabled with forced triple buffering.

Krabboss

No because I have had it jump up to 60fps a couple of times.

You'll have to explain further, because what you just said sounds like vsync. If you have vsync on and you dip below 60fps, you will be locked at 30. It's all 60 and 30 with vsync on, with nothing in between.

Salsa

whenever I play this game my OC demons will come back and i'll end up with the GPU that BSODs every 20 minutes all over again

SoundLad

You can't compare a multiplayer Beta with single-player performance ... C'mon!

Load up the MP maps in the retail and they're running straight 60, they are nowhere near as intensive as the SP section.

I see, can't wait to have a go at the SP once the game comes out here then. So there's a huge leap in graphics quality compared to the MP section? And I thought the MP beta looked gorgeous...

Sethos

Banned
Anyone working on a config yet?

Here's what I have so far

// Particle Collisions
e_ParticlesObjectCollisions = 2
// Real-time Volumetric Cloud Shadows
r_FogShadows = 1
// Texture Pool Size (MB)
r_TexturesStreamPoolSize = 512
// Ambient Occlusion Method
r_ssao = 0
// Chromatic Aberration
r_ChromaticAberration = 0
// Tessellation
e_Tessellation = 0

Trying to trim the fat and add effects that you can really see.

You'll have to explain further, because what you just said sounds like vsync. If you have vsync on and you dip below 60fps, you will be locked at 30. It's all 60 and 30 with vsync on, with nothing in between.

Oh yeah, so I did have vsync on and with it turned off I get a solid 35-40fps outside. So that's pretty good.

I'm pretty sure that isn't true.

That's how regular V sync works if I'm not mistaken. That's why adaptive vsync is a god-send: Dip below 60 and vsync switches off, go above 60 and vsync kicks back in.

Ah, most vysnc must be adaptive these days then. I use d3doverrider and when I fraps it, it caps at 60 but will go lower without going straight to 30. I feel like that would look awful.

aegies

For those asking about 7970 impressions, I'm running the following:

Core i7 3770 3.4ghz
Sapphire 7970 OC 3GB
8GB DDR3 + OCZ 256GB SSD

I played through the game at 1920x1080 on very high with 2xTSAA, which is AMD's recommended settings for that card. I was getting wild fluctuations in framerate for the first hour or so until I finally forced a 40hz framerate cap and Vsync through RadeonPro. At the very end of the game I had to lower the resolution to get above 20fps. This is using the current beta drivers.

antitrop

New Nvidia drivers specifically for Crysis 3 just released today, Monday Feb 18: 314.07.
Probably pretty much the same as the Beta drivers (313.96), but still worth upgrading for everyone hookin' up with Crysis 3 early.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/57096

Release Highlights
This is the GeForce Game Ready driver for the Crysis 3. It delivers a smoother gaming experience, improves single GPU performance by up to 5%, and boosts SLI performance by up to 65% (compared to GeForce 310.90 WHQL driver).

Instantly apply optimal game settings for Crysis 3 with GeForce Experience

EA’s recommended GeForce GPU for Crysis 3 is a GeForce GTX 560 or higher. For the Hi-Performance PC Specification, EA recommends GeForce GTX 680.

GeForce R313 drivers also provide significant performance increases in other top games like Assassin’s Creed III, Call of Duty: Black Ops II, and Far Cry 3.

New in GeForce 314.07 Drivers
Increases performance by up to 5% in Crysis 3 (measured with GeForce GTX 680 at 1920x1080 high settings).

KKRT00

For those asking about 7970 impressions, I'm running the following:

Core i7 3770 3.4ghz
Sapphire 7970 OC 3GB
8GB DDR3 + OCZ 256GB SSD

I played through the game at 1920x1080 on very high with 2xTSAA, which is AMD's recommended settings for that card. I was getting wild fluctuations in framerate for the first hour or so until I finally forced a 40hz framerate cap and Vsync through RadeonPro. At the very end of the game I had to lower the resolution to get above 20fps. This is using the current beta drivers.

You meant 2xSMAA?

---
Ps. I'm using this config right now, its Very High feature set with higher than 'High' LOD settings
http://pastebin.com/HYS63Ess

I have quite stable 30fps in 1280x1024 with SMAA T2x, High textures and Medium Motion Blur on GTX 560, but in later levels with more action, i'm pretty sure i'll have to decrease some settings ;\

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
i wonder when a low watt $200 card will be able to max this as 1440p. i might upgrade then. as for whether or not i buy crysis. well that depends on how good it turns out to be.

Metal-Geo

Anyone working on a config yet?

Here's what I have so far

// Particle Collisions
e_ParticlesObjectCollisions = 2
// Real-time Volumetric Cloud Shadows
r_FogShadows = 1
// Texture Pool Size (MB)
r_TexturesStreamPoolSize = 512
// Ambient Occlusion Method
r_ssao = 0
// Chromatic Aberration
r_ChromaticAberration = 0
// Tessellation
e_Tessellation = 0

Trying to trim the fat and add effects that you can really see.
Perhaps a bit nitpicking of me, but I personally also prefer r_sharpening = 0. (default is .25) Never was much of a fan of sharpening.

Yeah and I'm running 2560x1600.

Running a 3930k @ 4.5 GHz and the 680s are two 4GBs - Not sure if it makes any difference though. Then everything Very High + 2x SMAA

Still, overall performance isn't that impressive. The constant dips are annoying, game is almost more enjoyable at 3840x2400 + 8 x MSAA because the FPS stabilizes.

That's what I'll be going for -- not those parameters, but the most stable possible performance. I'd rather cap it at a constant 30 than bounce from the high 30s to 60. That shit drives me crazy.

I'm hoping my 670 will be able to run everything on high at 1080p with a little AA at 30 fps.

aegies

It's worth mentioning that I think Crysis 3 is a 32 bit executable. At a certain point it's just not going to be able to use all the video memory that people are throwing at it.

bro1

Banned
That's what I'll be going for -- not those parameters, but the most stable possible performance. I'd rather cap it at a constant 30 than bounce from the high 30s to 60. That shit drives me crazy.

I'm hoping my 670 will be able to run everything on high at 1080p with a little AA at 30 fps.

Turn down shadows, forget AA and use half refresh rate and you should be ok. I have a similar setup (3570@4.2 and a 670) and I've been told that this is doable

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
whenever I play this game my OC demons will come back and i'll end up with the GPU that BSODs every 20 minutes all over again

haha, that's the urge I fight too. I just was offered a custom bios for my MSI 670's to unlock more voltage but every time I play with it on these reference cards, I can't get anywhere so I lowered my volts to +50mV instead of the 100 I had it for the mere 100 extra HURTZ on the core.

It's worth mentioning that I think Crysis 3 is a 32 bit executable. At a certain point it's just not going to be able to use all the video memory that people are throwing at it.

Hmmm, may need to employ a LAA fix ala Skyrim.

Could someone test? I'm about to buy this if I can get the vpn tricks to work.

Top Bottom