• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember PSVITA's mystery port? It had purpose.

kuroshiki

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/series/rt/20130919_616138.html

Watch impress did interview with PSVITA TV's engineers.

It is a rather a long interview, but one part has some juicy info on it.

--Vita TVの映像出力解像度は?

--What is Vita TV's display resolution?

島田:1080i(インタレース)ですね。ゲームとしては元々964×544です。

1080i. Game will be rendered at 964 x 544.

実は既存のVitaにもスケーラーは入っています。964×544のものを引き延ばして表示することもあります。ビデオなどは問題を生みやすいので、720pのフォーマットなら720pで流す、といったことをしています。

To be honest, the original Vita already had scaler built in.

--新しく特別なスケーラーを乗せたわけでない、と?

So there is no new scaler installed this time?

島田:はい。今回は。

Well, there is not, at least for now.

--ということは、元々Vitaでは、インターフェースさえあればテレビに映るはずだったわけですか?

Wait, does that mean, the original Vita only just required cable interface to shoot images to TV display?

Note: the original article only mentioned 'interface'.

島田:そうなりますね。

Yes. Of course.

Well, there you go folks. Now we know what that mystery port was for.

kazebyaka

Banned
gbho1cpourtt.gif

kuppy

That's pretty funny, considering all the press asked for a way to record the Vita footage properly so that they could have included it in reviews and what not.

Massa

Edit for clarity: the Vita GPU is capable of TV output, what he means is that the system didn't have an interface built in for video out. That's not what the "mystery port" is.

$h@d0w

Google translate:
- Reason for the change in the liquid crystal from OLED (organic EL) panel What is?

Matsumoto: It is said that towards the OLED is beautiful but in general, the performance of the liquid crystal, does not it? going up very much. There is also a liquid crystal "strength" in it. Or strong outside light. And, I think because it is used by a lot of production, Dura Stability (durability and availability) is strong do you say and reliability. Among the PSP so that was the case, go spread a layer of audience, extreme story, people throw the body is also not come out. I thought with the liquid crystal in such, enhance the casual sex even more to be, in the good.
LCD enhances casual sex confirmed.

There must have been an executive decision not to offer a TV out. Sell it for $100 on Sony's website in limited quantities and it would have probably made a profit. Must have thought it would conflict with PS3 sales. I guess they are ok with the Vita TV affecting PS3 sales? I really don't understand it.

whitehawk

Banned
I figured that was what the port was for. I guess they decided that instead of releasing a $30 cable, they would release a $100 Vita TV.

Berordn

There must have been an executive decision not to offer a TV out. Sell it for $100 on Sony's website in limited quantities and it would have probably made a profit. Must have thought it would conflict with PS3 sales. I guess they are ok with the Vita TV affecting PS3 sales? I really don't understand it.

The PS3's not going to be much of a priority for long.

JoshHood

Am I missing where they say that's what the port was for?
I've only ever seen modded, debug and devkit Vitas export video over an HDMI port.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
This... kinda makes me sad. Wish they would still consider creating it, though it would be for a dead market since they're pushing this new model without the port. Very lame, I am pretty disappointed they did not release a video out cable. Would be more cost effective for me than buying a vita tv. Hell, they can mark it up to like $50, I don't care!

Ravage

--What is Vita TV's display resolution?

島田:1080i(インタレース)ですね。ゲームとしては元々964×544です。

1080i. Game will be rendered at 964 x 544.

Wait a minute, isn't the Vita native rez 960 x 544?

Luigiv

1080i? Why?

Yeah I don't get this either. The only logical reason I can think of why Sony would do that is to save a few cents per unit on the upscaler and hdmi controller but that just strikes me as an incredibly unsony like move.

I used to think the mystery port was a mystery too until I actually looked it up. Apparently in the Vita's manual (that thing no one reads), it labels all of the devices ports, including the "mystery" port. And the mystery port is....

*Drum Roll*

An accessory port, used for add-ons. I'm guessing this would be for stuff like similar to the PSP's accessories like GPS, Camera, etc.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/psvita/basic/partnames.html

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
It almost sounds like they took out the TV-out at the last min just to sell it as a VitaTV after a period of time.

you mean things vita has built in

I was just giving an example of accessories the PSP had that used its accessory port, and the same thing could be done with Vita but obviously with different functions as the accessories for the PSP are already built in to the Vita.

DieH@rd

Banned
Wait, does that mean, the original Vita only just required cable interface to shoot images to TV display?

Note: the original article only mentioned 'interface'.

島田:そうなりますね。

Yes. Of course.

Well, there you go folks. Now we know what that mystery port was for.

chesthair1clcqf.gif

Ovek

7Member7
Don't the dev kit vitas just use the bottom charging port for hdmi out? And nothing in that interview suggests the mystery port was used.

Takao

Banned
I was just giving an example of accessories the PSP had that used its accessory port, and the same thing could be done with Vita but obviously with different functions as the accessories for the PSP are already built in to the Vita.

I know. The question is which kind of accessories were planned. Vita has two cameras, GPS if you buy the 3G model, and uses Bluetooth. I guess maybe a UMD drive? lol

I know. The question is which kind of accessories were planned. Vita has two cameras, GPS if you buy the 3G model, and uses Bluetooth. I guess maybe a UMD drive? lol

I would buy the shit out of an attachable UMD drive. Too many PSP games in my collection that look better on Vita but I don't want to buy them on the PSN, or they're not available :(

Top Bottom