• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dengeki hints at possible Demon's Souls 2 announcement?

duckroll

http://ch.dengeki.com/program/dengekigame

In the latest Dengeki Games podcast, there a mention of an unannounced sequel to a game which came out last year, slated to be released in Fall of 2010. The game is said to be challenging and extremely hard, with very "interesting" gameplay systems. Are there any real candidates from Japan from 2009 which would classify as such besides Demon's Souls?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If this happens, I am so hard.

Doesn't Sony own this IP? I would love the chance to tackle the sequel on the 360 or PC, but I think I'm shit outta luck on that one.

What type of sales did the first game generate anyways? I always kind of thought of it as a very niche title.

Oh sh-! I hope this is true, game came out of nowhere last time. I'd like the ability to play with specific people on my friends list though.

TheUglyDrunk said:
Doesn't Sony own this IP? I would love the chance to tackle the sequel on the 360 or PC, but I think I'm shit outta luck on that one.

Yep, Sony owns the IP.

What type of sales did the first game generate anyways? I always kind of thought of it as a very niche title.

Demon's Souls sold at least 100,000 in the US. I think it ended up selling around the same amount in Japan.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
TheUglyDrunk said:
Well, we know almost 300k from the two charts we have (Japan and US launch month), but if we believe AniHawk and the game got a European release, probably at least 400-500k.

TheUglyDrunk said:

Yes. For a niche title it sold really well. It was kind of stealth hit if I'm not wrong.

I will buy an import of this day one without question not matter the cost if true!
That said, I don't just want more of the same from DS, the unique experience was part to the love.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
though FROM team are working on the new Armored Core , but if it's Demon's Soul 2 then I guess SCE Japan Studio gave them some nice money to work on it.

I hope it's Demon's Soul 2 , the first was my goty.

Are there any real candidates from Japan from 2009 which would classify as such besides Demon's Souls?

well Sin and punishment 2 was crazy hard I even suck in easy mode.

thcsquad

At first I thought: 'After only a year? They won't have any time to make that good.' Then I realized the Japanese version came out eight months before the US one :)

duckroll

Chrange said:
They make a ton of Armored Core games, but no Chromehounds sequel. They abandon Otogi and make Ninja Blade.

Armored Core games sell, Chrome Hounds didn't. They didn't abandon Otogi either. The team made 2 Otogi games, then Metal Wolf Chaos, then Ninja Blade. They like making new stuff instead of sequels. I'm not sure why it's weird at all. From pretty much always continues with IPs if it's worth continuing. They made 3 ACE games with Banpresto, 4 King's Field games, 2 Shadow Tower games, etc.

wizword

Banned
The shocking part is that this game hasn't come to PAL territories. One of the highest rated games won multiple game of the years, and original titles sony decided not to publish in america or release the game in PAL territories when it already was in english in the first place. I own the game but I hated how sony basically killed this game when it already had localization and needed just a publisher. Demon Soul's 2 needs all the love it deserves.

Virro

Fall 2010 seems really quick...

I'm guessing that's a tentative Japanese release date though?

They have a nice base to work from, but some things could definitely use improving... not sure if they'd be able to do enough in a little over a year.

Chrange

Banned
duckroll said:
Armored Core games sell, Chrome Hounds didn't. They didn't abandon Otogi either. The team made 2 Otogi games, then Metal Wolf Chaos, then Ninja Blade. They like making new stuff instead of sequels. I'm not sure why it's weird at all. From pretty much always continues with IPs if it's worth continuing. They made 3 ACE games with Banpresto, 4 King's Field games, 2 Shadow Tower games, etc.

Well I didn't say they were exactly SEGA-level (and that's a low level) in terms of confusing decisions, but they definitely confuse me :p

Chromehounds hit the 360 in what...2006? Seemed like a pretty decent seller considering the userbase for what's essentially an online-only game. A sequel could have done pretty well if they'd fixed a few things and advertised it.

ezekial45

Banned
duckroll said:
Demon's Souls sold about 160k in Japan. In the US it sold well over 200k, but probably not over 300k yet.

Still impressive for the type of game it was. Even more impressive considering Atlus published it.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
We got 4 King's Fields, 2 spin off series (Eternal Ring, Shadow Tower 1 & 2) from laregly the same team, and Demon's Souls outsold all of them.

I'm expecting big things with the series.
And hopefully a KF revival!

Man

Game of the generation gets a sequel? Please a thousand times.

Also, easily and by far the best game From Software ever made, ever. Including the original King's Field series (which obviously Demon's Souls is the direct spiritual follow up to).

So what would the story be like for a sequel? The Old One has awakened elsewhere and the Deep Fog once again threatens humanity?

Defuser said:
But Demon Souls was released last year.It's still early for them to announce it yet.

It was released in February of last year in Japan. It's not all that early for them to announce it there.

Revolutionary said:
So what would the story be like for a sequel? The Old One has awakened elsewhere and the Deep Fog once again threatens humanity?
I'm hoping they don't continue the DS1 story and find another reason for you to be slaying Demons.

Top Bottom