• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Controller Modification...BYE BYE 8 WAY! HELLO FREEDOM!!! (perfect for NiGHTS 2)

With the release of NiGHTS 2 and with me absolutely hating wii's 8 way analog stick as many do, I finally decided to do something about it and the results are fantastic. I can now control NiGHTS just like on the Saturn analog pad and i'm sure this cheap mod will work wonders on other games that require more liberal stick movement.

All this mod took was a flathead screwdriver small enough to fit into nintendos tri head screws and a grinding stone set purchased from harbor freight and tools for $4. Once the screws are off the nunchuck opens rather easily and drilling/grinding took all of 2-3 minutes. Maybe 5-10 total trialing/sanding the new hole to make sure it moved fluidly.

note the various scraps and tools from trying different methods :lol
wii1.jpg

fuck off 8 way. nintendo needs to drop that madness.
wii2.jpg

CLEAN!
wii3.jpg

DanielJohnson said:
Work of beauty, so a grinding stone can be found at any local hardware store?

it guess it varies. I was originally gonna try a step drill bit but one that had a hole big enough was like $30 for a single damn bit. :lol look in the dremel section for grinding bits if you dont get one from harbor freight. I was told it wouldnt spin fast enough on a regular drill but it worked fine for what i was using it for.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94992

the cone tip is awesome because you can size a hole flawlessly and since its a grind stone i think it would work better on plastic anyway than metal bits would.

Linkzg said:
I have to try this.

the only problem is that the stick itself seems to have notches inside or something.

eh? no. it doesnt. its the housing that causes it. i grinded from both inside and out. now i have flawless circular movement.

MobiusPigeon said:
eh? no. it doesnt. its the housing that causes it. i grinded from both inside and out. now i have flawless circular movement.

really? what im talking about is when you dont push the stick to the edge, but keep it in the middle and do a 360 with it and it still feels like it has notches.

that goes away?...does what im talking about make any sense? im not good at describing stuff.

Linkzg said:
really? what im talking about is when you dont push the stick to the edge, but keep it in the middle and do a 360 with it and it still feels like it has notches.

that goes away?...does what im talking about make any sense? im not good at describing stuff.

i've never felt that. you shouldnt feel any notches unless you're pushing the stick all the way to the edge.

BTW i've gone from Ds and Es to this. :lol holy crap the game is soooooooo much more enjoyable now.

wii4.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I am too lazy to read the OP, but looking at the images I don't see how different the controller is.

You should change the stick to the gamecube one. It'll offer a bit more grip than the original one especially now that you grinded out the 8-way.

I did that to my chuck minus your sanding action. It feels tons better.

rbwiimote7.JPG

DEO3

donkey show said:
You should change the stick to the gamecube one. It'll offer a bit more grip than the original one especially now that you grinded out the 8-way.

I did that to my chuck minus your sanding action. It feels tons better.

God damnit, I just threw out my Gamecube + Controller like two days ago too. I had no idea you could swap in the Gamecube controller's stick.

Zeed

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
I am too lazy to read the OP, but looking at the images I don't see how different the controller is.
The casing used to be an octogon. Now it's a circle. Ta da, full circular movement achieved through the crudest of modifications.

DEO3 said:
God damnit, I just threw out my Gamecube + Controller like two days ago too. I had no idea you could swap in the Gamecube controller's stick.
Yar, this is the case since the mechanics of both analogs are identical. Hell if you wanted to, you could put the c-stick on the nunchuck instead and it'd still work the same.

theultimo said:
Hmm, any idea if this will work on the CC?
It should since the housing for the analog stick on the CC are identical to the chuck's. Again you can replace those with GC sticks as well.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
you can put a gamecube stick in a nunchuk? i might have to do that -- the smallish nunchuk stick bugs me

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
If you ever played Monkey Ball on GameCube and Xbox you will demand 8-way.

Jazzem

I honestly prefer the 8 way to perfect circle. It allows you to be much more precise, and makes using a stick bearable for 2D games.

Saying that, I haven't played NiGHTS yet. I seem to remember IGN reviewing a 3rd party Classic Controller that plugged into the GC slot and had circle sticks.

drohne said:
you can put a gamecube stick in a nunchuk? i might have to do that -- the smallish nunchuk stick bugs me
Yar, and like I said, even a c-stick works perfectly. TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if you could shove an N64 stick into a chuck. In fact, I might just try that out...

But all you need are tri-wing screwdrivers to bust it open. Everything is rather simple inside so you don't have to worry about being too careful.

The obvious advantages of having a GC stick instead of the original chuck stick are it being a "stickier" plastic which lends to a bit more control versus the hard plastic of the original. It's shorter as well so it feels closer to an XBOX analog stick and the input feels "faster," kinda like the difference between a short throw and a long throw shifter. The disadvantage to it is if you want to do some massive rotating action a la laser battles in DBZ:BT. Since the GC stick sticks more to the chuck housing than the original, you can't get those rotations out as fast. That's it really.

yeah but what the point of being analog if you have 8 way? it cripples one of the functions of an analog stick. And I hated monkeyball on GC because of the 8 way. Liked collection better on xbox.

BTW you can actually leave some of the 8 way functionality in depending on how much you grind off. if you notice in the 2nd pic theres still a tiny notch at the top of my circle. it would have been perfect dual functionality to leave 8 smaller diamonds like the one at the top instead of 8 huge grooves with no curves at all. I may have to finally buy a 2nd chuck and do that one that way. :lol

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
donkey show said:
Yar, and like I said, even a c-stick works perfectly. TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if you could shove an N64 stick into a chuck. In fact, I might just try that out...

Given that the N64 used a different stick setup than the GC/Wii, I'm going to say that it's not possible.

[Nintex] said:
Yes and I heard its great and works just like a Classic Controller

IIRC, it is also technically its a gamecube controller since it plugs into the gamecube controller slot, so I think it can be used for gamecube games aswell.

Baryn

Banned
Someone needs to make a classic controller with the Wiimote's wireless hardware built in. That's the mod I want to see!

But what you did is cool, MobiusPigeon. I always imagined what it would be like.

MidiSurf

Banned
[Nintex] said:
What about this one?
thrustmaster-wii-controller.jpg

That controller kicks ass ! It is da best controller i ever had in my life. It's perfect for my hands. It's small controller and i have pretty big hands but it still feels good. And it has very good grip on those "sticks".

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I should do that to a Classic Controller and make it perfect for Geometry Wars: Galaxies.

Not that I don't like the motion controls.

Threi

notag
Am i the only one that really REALLY hates the GCN Analog Stick? My thumbs kept slipping off because of all the circular "grips". The Nunchuk/CC analog sticks are WAY better IMO.

KevinCow

Banned
I've always wanted someone to do an analog stick that finds a balance between the ability to smoothly rotate with a circular hole and the ability to feel the eight primary directions with Nintendo's octagonal hole.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Threi said:
Am i the only one that really REALLY hates the GCN Analog Stick? My thumbs kept slipping off because of all the circular "grips". The Nunchuk/CC analog sticks are WAY better IMO.

I'm the opposite. My thumb sticks to the Gamecube analog stick like glue but I'm always slipping off of the Dual Shock sticks. The 360 isn't bad, but I do slip off occasionally.

That Logitech controller won't work with Geometry Wars Galaxies since it emulates the GCN instead of the Classic controller.

If anybody tries this 360-degree mod on a Classic controller, let us know how it works and if there are any issues.

Top Bottom