• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Alright my dudes, it's prediction time!

Which series do you think that Viz's Weekly Shonen Jump will pick up?
12b6bc8a50.jpg

We Never Learn
U19
Demon Prince Poro's Diaries
Hungry Marie
Dr. Stone
Robot x Lazerbeam

Quote this post with your picks

U19

mellow

I read through the entirety of Takemitsu Zamurai the last couple of days, art from the guy who created Ping Pong. Fairly standard Samurai story with slice of life sprinkled in but it was really enjoyable and quirky. The 'odd' art (which if I wasn't familiar with Ping Pong would have probably put me off initially) ended up working so well in the end

12b6bc8a50.jpg

We Never Learn
U19
Hungry Marie
Dr. Stone
Robot x Lazerbeam

What I Want: U19, Dr. Stone & Hungry Marie

What I expect: We Never Learn, Demon Prince Poro's Diaries & Robot x Lazerbeam

kasane

The era of jump is dead. Unless they can find some 14 year old tensai in the country side or one piece continues being good forever theyrr fucked

Jk. They wont be going anywher.

Big One

Banned
The era of jump is dead. Unless they can find some 14 year old tensai in the country side or one piece continues being good forever theyrr fucked

Jk. They wont be going anywher.
I really do not understand the thought process of them rushing Bleach and Toriko. Yes they were low in the rankings, but Toriko ranked better than some of the manga they still have in publication and Bleach's volume sales were still very strong for the most part. And while I agree Bleach fell off by the wayside I do think they should've respected Kubo's desire to end the manga in a way he wanted to for all his contributions to the magazine.

Same with Toriko as well, I think Toriko would've faired much better with more arcs in the Gourmet World. In fact, I think the initial chapters of the Gourmet World was the strongest the series ever was but they decided to rush it just because it isn't ranked as high as other series.

Bleach was anything but rushed, the Quincy War arc lasted almost four years, Kubo had plenty of time to close it up properly but he showed no signs that he knew what the fuck he was doing with the story, by the time Bleach got canned he was already dragging his feet for a year to end four fucking fights and if anything Bleach had a much more respectable axing than it deserved.

Same with Toriko as well, I think Toriko would've faired much better with more arcs in the Gourmet World. In fact, I think the initial chapters of the Gourmet World was the strongest the series ever was but they decided to rush it just because it isn't ranked as high as other series.

I will assume Toriko just wasn't giving the return on Jump's investment so it was time to let it go.

When you have another series with like 1/4 of the push Toriko got basically killing it in volumes sales almost consistently (iirc), it doesn't look good tbh. Also it doesn't seem like there wasn't much growth either in gaining new readers.

Its unfortunate since it sounded cool.

Zannen Jokanbu Black General-san Ch30:
Secretary-san is best.
Was nice to see them in relation to other of the vilnius organisations and I'm hoping we someday to see the rest of their faces.

Sabaku No Harem Ch1-18: Standard sort of generic Shoujo set in a desert empire, resolving around a prince and his pauper/slave 'wife'. Not really spoiling anything here saying it quickly becomes a two person (one woman) show. Nothing new here really, wish they'd focused more on her backstory as that at least sounds interesting, before making her suddenly go all Tsun-Tsun for the Prince..

Stinky

Hungry Joker 1-24/End
.....that was quite horrible, and that's with me not adding the absolutely horrid handling of the axed ending. The characters were unlikable, the story was boring and everything but the art felt completely flat and dreadful to deal with. It makes the mangkas current work Black Clover (which I don't particularly like, way too sterile/market tested feeling) feel like a great manga in comparison.

I'm interested in these new manga coming to Jump because I've read boring, shitty manga like Hungry Joker and all of a sudden this new manga Black Clover comes out and months in its actually popular and well received.

I read SENSEI NO BULGE for fucks sake.
i143791.png

all 17 chapters of that generic shitty manga. I've only read about as much as Boku no Hero Academia, but that's obviously GOOD.

Because I hate myself, I'm going through various Jump series's that all got axed in 3 or less volumes. So far, most of them suck and no not just from their rushed axed endings. Those that die early deaths tend to for good reasons.

WHY!

Trust me I've done the same and they were all axed FOR A GOOD REASON.

Promised Neverland Ch25: Whoever had those spoilers must of been high on something.. (or just plain lying). Another amazing chapter, loving the facade being torn away here and the end just made me want to have more!

Promised Neverland Ch25: Whoever had those spoilers must of been high on something.. (or just plain lying). Another amazing chapter, loving the facade being torn away here and the end just made me want to have more!

Shh don't let Conan know he rage quit off bogus rumors

Shh don't let Conan know he rage quit off bogus rumors

Will say though I can somewhat see how those rumours could of started, if all they managed to get was one page. As there is a page that makes you go, oh she did 'that' because she is doing 'this'. I mean I read the same rumours and was hesitant because of them, made me read the chapter as soon as I saw anyone had scanlated it though.

Because I hate myself, I'm going through various Jump series's that all got axed in 3 or less volumes. So far, most of them suck and no not just from their rushed axed endings. Those that die early deaths tend to for good reasons.
Some cancelation were a real shame. Some series like Space travelers, Barrage, Crazy zoo, Iron Knights and Red Sprite felt like such ambitious series that I would have loved. I'm still so sad over Red Sprite getting axed :(

The only positve here is that MHA came from those cancelation.

kasane

Ive been a known shitposter about toriko so i have no input on that manga. Meanwhile bleach just felt like it was just there, people once in a while remember it but like its art its just plain as all hell.

LeleSocho

Banned
At the Comicon of my city will attend Toyotaro the guy who is doing the Dragon Ball Super manga, it will be a good occasion to throw rotten fruit at him.

mdubs

Banned
Some cancelation were a real shame. Some series like Space travelers, Barrage, Crazy zoo, Iron Knights and Red Sprite felt like such ambitious series that I would have loved. I'm still so sad over Red Sprite getting axed :(

The only positve here is that MHA came from those cancelation.

How's Crazy Zoo? I want to read more of Horikoshi's stuff (I read the first chapter of Barrage just now)

cntr

Banned
How's Crazy Zoo? I want to read more of Horikoshi's stuff (I read the first chapter of Barrage just now)
Barrage and most of his early stuff is pretty bad; he wasn't always good at writing. But Crazy Zoo is really good.

Crazy zoo is pretty great, if you like how Horkikoshi portrays his villains in MHA you will love Crazy zoo! It still has my favourite villain design of his.

As for Barrage, it really its sad how it suffered from the cancellation! I loved the MC so much. But when I say that it suffered, I dont mean that it is not worth a read. Anything Horikoshi writes is amazing.

mdubs

Banned
Read all of Genkaku Picasso today. The premise is basically the main character survives a helicopter crash but has to draw people's hearts and save them to avoid rotting away.

1421537540.jpg

I could see parts of the ending coming from far away but it still got me. A nice read at 3 volumes long.

cntr

Banned
Oda mentioned way back that he wanted to make a mecha series after finishing One Piece...but he'll probably retire and stick to making short series, like Toriyama.

mdubs

Banned
For those of us coping with the cancellation of Sesuji Wo Pin, I looked at the sales charts.

Vol. 3 at last listing did ~30K
Vol. 8 did ~19K

:(

Jintor

12b6bc8a50.jpg

We Never Learn
U19
Hungry Marie
Dr. Stone
Robot x Lazerbeam

i don't really know shit about shonen jump but i like the look of We Never Learn, Dr Stone, and Robot x Lazerbeam.

Top Bottom