• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X900E settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

TheBoss1

I tested some PS4 games to see how the HDR looks. My HDR settings are the same as in the game mode except brightness on max and X-tended Dynamic Range on High. Only problem is that auto local dimming needs to be same in both sdr and hdr mode so I've put in on low. Sounds good?

EDIT. I think everything else is clear but what to use for auto local dimming and x-tended dynamic range. Atm I have low/low on sdr and low/high on hdr. Any suggestions?
See my post about x-tended dynamic range and local dimming a few posts above yours.

Vertti

See my post about x-tended dynamic range and local dimming a few posts above yours.

Thanks I missed that post for some reason.

So on sdr auto local dimming on high and x-tended range off. On hdr it should be high/high then?

I think hdr looked unnatural when they both were on high so I may try medium/off and medium/high then.

Ricker

Best Buy has this set for 1600(CAD)all week,really tempted to go see it today...My A/V Receiver doesnt support 4K/HDR but what if I go Optical from the TV into my receiver and HDMI from the Pro or X1X in the TV...would this work to maintain 4K and have the sound through my receiver speakers in 5.1...? only drawback for now would be switching the console cables in...

Vertti

Know I've been posting too much here but I'm just too excited atm. :D

Two things I really wish I could do though.

1. Hope there would be an HDR button. Would make comparing HDR and SDR so much easier.
2. I wish I could bookmark different TV modes. I use two: custom and game and there are like almost 10 modes between them. Scrolling from one to another is pita.

Any solutions?

EDIT. I also haven't got the chromecast to work yet.

Klotera

Best Buy has this set for 1600(CAD)all week,really tempted to go see it today...My A/V Receiver doesnt support 4K/HDR but what if I go Optical from the TV into my receiver and HDMI from the Pro or X1X in the TV...would this work to maintain 4K and have the sound through my receiver speakers in 5.1...? only drawback for now would be switching the console cables in...

You'll want the optical from your PS4 directly to your receiver and HDMI to the TV. This is the setup I have (I actually have an HDMI switch in between). If it goes through the TV first, it won't pass through the 5.1 signal. You'll still want an optical from the TV for the native apps, though, or better yet, an HDMI from the ARC port if your receiver supports ARC.

Ricker

You'll want the optical from your PS4 directly to your receiver and HDMI to the TV. This is the setup I have (I actually have an HDMI switch in between). If it goes through the TV first, it won't pass through the 5.1 signal. You'll still want an optical from the TV for the native apps, though, or better yet, an HDMI from the ARC port if your receiver supports ARC.

Thanks,thats what I was afraid of...this means I would have to pull in and out the optical cable from the Pro and the X1X each time...those optical cables are a pain doing that,its so small and hard to click in...I dont care about the apps stuff,I will never use those,I watch Netflix on my PS4...

TheBoss1

Thanks I missed that post for some reason.

So on sdr auto local dimming on high and x-tended range off. On hdr it should be high/high then?

I think hdr looked unnatural when they both were on high so I may try medium/off and medium/high then.
Imo local dimming should always be set to high to give you the best contrast/blacks. I haven't noticed any side effects from placing it on high so I stick with that on both SDR and HDR.

My issue with the XDR setting is that it saturates colors and loses a ton of detail in dark scenes in SDR content, even on low. I haven't tested the differences in HDR content but I wouldn't even be surprised if it does the same thing. I will try a little later today and give you an update on how it goes.

yagal

1. Go to Nvidia Control Panel
2. Make sure DSR is off
3. Choose "Change resolution" from left
4. Select customise
5. Click enable resolutions not exposed by the display and click create custom resolution
6. Set up 1920x1080 with 120hz. Timing in auto. Click test and it should show you 1080p@120hz and then save it.
7. Scroll down in the change resolution window. Change output color format to YCbCr444.
8. Apply the settings and you are good.

Thanks.

I do not suggest using the X-tended Dynamic Range setting at all on non-HDR content. It will appear to give the picture more contrast but all it does is crush details and saturate the image. I wish I could show pics but my current situation does not allow for it.

High local dimming coupled with a low brightness setting (I have mine at 4) is the way to go. The image will look much more natural while also boosting contrast because of a lower black level. It may appear to be dim but give your eyes at least a day to adjust.

Played a little bit with this setting, Dishonored 2, not bad at all.

Decado

Is there a way to have special settings when HDR is enabled? Or just a separate custom setting. I see indicators that it should be left on Auto but mentions of ensuring brightness is sex to max? A little confused.

Also, seems like HDR content on YouTube doesn't trigger HDR.

Just got this model today. Trying to figure it out.

canocha

Is there a way to have special settings when HDR is enabled? Or just a separate custom setting. I see indicators that it should be left on Auto but mentions of ensuring brightness is sex to max? A little confused.

Also, seems like HDR content on YouTube doesn't trigger HDR.

Just got this model today. Trying to figure it out.

HDR settings are separete settings, you can costumize them when you use a HDR source.
edit: When you connect a HDR source, the brightness will bet set to 100 (its automatic)

Youtube on this TV does not support HDR yet (i really don't understand why).

Decado

Thanks. That sucks re YouTube.

I can't seem to get 4k 4:4:4 10bpc on pc. Only 8bpc. I think my cable is only 1.3 high speed. Do I need a better one? And is 10bpc much better than 8?

EDIT: Yes, it seems that 10bits isn't possible in 4K 4:4:4

Decado

1. Go to Nvidia Control Panel
2. Make sure DSR is off
3. Choose "Change resolution" from left
4. Select customise
5. Click enable resolutions not exposed by the display and click create custom resolution
6. Set up 1920x1080 with 120hz. Timing in auto. Click test and it should show you 1080p@120hz and then save it.
7. Scroll down in the change resolution window. Change output color format to YCbCr444.
8. Apply the settings and you are good.

For some reason I couldn't get 2560×1440@60hz or 3440×1440@60hz working but I need to try again.

I could test and add all three of those resolutions to my custom resolutions, but only 2560×1440@60hz and 3440×1440@60hz show in-game. 1080p @ 120hz doesn't. Is there something that usually causes this?

TheBoss1

Played a little bit with this setting, Dishonored 2, not bad at all.

Watch some dark scenes in any of your games. In my case, a ton of detail was lost in foliage even when upping the brightness. Raising brightness (backlight) will raise black levels and defeat the purpose of good local dimming also.

katsais

Amazing tv though and i do not use the built in android except for kodi. Watch everything on apple tv - much faster, responsible and more stable. Play on the othee 3 hdmi ports (switch, pc and ps4) - everything looks amazing hdr or not

This 100%.

I don’t even bother with the Android OS. I use Apple TV or Amazon Fire TV for streaming. Gran Turismo looks amazing as fuck...blacks, brightness...super happy with this TV.

pelican

Thinking about picking up the KD49XE9005.

Last Bravia I had did not have a specific HDR game mode, unlike Samsung. Is this still the case?

Just picked up the XBR65X900E for $1750, I'm in Toronto.

Waiting for my 1080 to arrive so I can actually make proper use of it. Got tired of waiting for upgrades...

frogger

When people say game mode for this TV, do they mean there is a specific mode for gaming or just set of settings?

VCALMLIKEABOMBV

Neo Member
I have a question for anyone with a 900e and xbox one x. When you load an ehanced 4k game is it saying 4k when you check in picture adjustment? It is saying hdr for me but not 4k in any enhanced game.

DJTaurus

My settings if anyone is interested.

picture mode game / HDR
auto picture off
light sensor off
brightness 25/Max
contrast 90
Gamma 0
Black Level 50
Black Adjust off
adv contrast enhancer off
Local Dim Medium
XDR: low/high
Reality Creation Manual,10
Smooth Gradation Low
Color 55
Hue 0
Color Temperature Neutral
Live Color Off
sharpness 50
motionflow off
hdr mode/color space/hdmi space: auto

Just got this TV yesterday. It’s an excellent TV. I’m very happy. Was biding my time before jumping into 4K for the right TV at the right price. The KS8000 seemed to be the one at one point but there seemed to be a few known issues that seemed to slightly blight an otherwise top tele. Plus I’ve had 2 Samsung TVs previously where I’ve never been happy with their panels. Although that model got discountinyed before I was ready to commit. So I may have dodged a bullet or missed a great TV but the Sony seems fantastic as a replacement.

I’ve been stuck with a 40” Samsung 3D TV for 7 years so was well overdue something newer and better. An offer came up on this over the weekend so thought it was an opportune moment to take advantage. I’m sure going forward this TV is going to be on lots of offers now. The bezels are very slim and at 55” it’s a great increase without taking over the living room completely. It’s well built with a nice sturdy stand.

I don’t have a Pro yet but was playing Horizon with HDR and it makes a very nice difference. The colours feel alive and aren’t flat like there are without it on. Horizon is simply gorgeous anyways but the HDR takes it to a new level. I’ve been watching some 4K Youtube videos and some are just eye bleedingly sharp and gorgeous. A nice step up from Blu-ray. Shame I haven’t a Pro yet but it’s on the list soon for 2018s blockbusters.

Normal HD TV shows don’t look too bad but SD can look rougher. I’ll need to watch some Blu-rays to test the new display and see how those look but I’m sure they look great. But I’ve really got no complaints. Certainly not after the first day. Everything set up great is easy to navigate and change settings. I’d love for it to auto change to the source that’s turned on but I’m not sure it does (unless there’s a setting for it). But great TV quality and picture.

Daffy Duck

Not an issue unless your a pro/ competitive fps player, in which case you should probably just stick to super responsive PC monitors. For all else, this thing rocks.

Interesting, I’m not a pro player but I do really like to play FPS games specifically CoD, would you imagine that to be a problem?

Interesting, I’m not a pro player but I do really like to play FPS games specifically CoD, would you imagine that to be a problem?
No, the visual fidelity combo here with the x1x and this TV is something really to behold, and in my opinion, completely offsets any issues with latency.

Valonquar

Picked up the XBR65900E today, spent the better part of the day getting it to my place, taking down my 9 year old 52" Samsung, and installing the new set. Also picked up a entry level soundbar (Sony CT290) for a tiny bit more omphh until I can afford a good receiver & speakers.

The jump to 4K HDR (and of course the larger size screen) is staggeringly huge. The set only weighs 48 lbs without the base, so it was fairly easy to hang up by myself. The power brick with the loooong cord is nice...kinda wastes the effort I put in by having a power outlet installed at the wall bracket for the previous TV though.

It's sort of weird how there's settings under Actions and then also under Home > scroll all the way down > Settings. Took me a hot minute to find that, and get the PS4Pro the correct feed. Once I did that though GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY PURDY STUFF

The TV has met all my expectations. It was either this one, or dump 1k more on the LG OLED, but the difference to my eyes was negligible, and that's cash I'll have on hand for xmas stuff yet to buy.

On another note: The CT290 soundbar is sort of weird though, I have it hooked up via optical only atm, so it has no on-screen display for volume level, and none on the bar either. I guess I'll need to hook it up via HDMI port 3 and see if that makes any difference? Sounds like once I hook it up to HDMI 3, I configure it for ARC and then it will be controlled via the TV's remote (after turning the TV's speakers off) and the TV will show some sort of volume level?

EternalWolf

Neo Member
Not that many care, but as a follow up to my previous post...

The "flashing" or refreshing is normal. Both my 55 Inch Models do it as well as the 65 Inch I suggested my parents get. You can notice it fairly easily if you use it as a PC Monitor/Always looking at a white background and have a good eye, IMO it's some kind of Burn-In Protection. It's a black like "flash", not the whole screen, kinda like a lightbulb that slightly loses power but doesn't go all the way out. Very hard to explain.

And the updates are indeed a very slow roll out. One of my models updates the day of release and the other took about 3 weeks to get the update. You can of course update at any time you want with a flash drive but for whatever reason mine doesnt work with the TV, though I did delete the program or whatever that was installed on the drive when I first got it to free up space. Didnt try other drives.

Am not a fan of the TV not supporting virtually any file formats via USB flash drive. Misleading marketing that seems to be put in place soley to fight piracy. The manual shows it supports every file format and codec known to man but not via USB, such bullshit. Luckily you can install Kodi directly onto the TV itself as well as Cast to the TV, and most movie streaming sites hace casting built directly into their players as well as the fact that you can just use chrome to Cast whatever you are using. So there isn't really any reason to download or rip your own movies other than to "own" them.

Senteevs

Just ordered the 49 inch model.
Cost me a pretty penny and I have to wait a week, but upgrading once every 5 years is probably worth it.

I'm debating between this X900e or the Samsung MU900, although I won't be gaming on it. We currently have an older Samsung "3D" 60" model. I currently have a smaller, newer Samsung 4K TV in my bedroom and I love the new Smart TV setup they have along with their small and easy to use remote. But the full array local dimming of this Sony TV has me on the fence between the two.

Parapraxis

This TV is incredible, had mine for about 2 weeks, well worth the asking price, and I was especially lucky to get one from Amazon warehouse that was repackaged, and not a single blemish on the TV itself for $1200 CDN +tax.

Tater

Debating returning the C7 and picking this up, since it's cheaper and doesn't have burn in like the C7 does (mine doesn't have it yet, thankfully).

Input lag seems ok at around 33ms, have you guys been enjoying it?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Debating returning the C7 and picking this up, since it's cheaper and doesn't have burn in like the C7 does (mine doesn't have it yet, thankfully).

Yeah burn-in is horrible

Burn0ut

Neo Member
I have this tv

But I dont understand the gaming mode
The colors change and its not as good looking as how I watch everything else

Buts thats probably something most tvs have in their gaming modes right?

I dont play games on this tv in gaming mode and I have no lag problems personally

X900e is a very good TV. My previous TV was a W900a which is widely considered the best 1080p gaming TV ever made. Only things I don't like about the x900e is android tv is slow and the remote has a really narrow range.

Senteevs

I have a question about the power brick.
Does it get hot?
I have a large drawer under my TV stand, so I'm planning to put the brick in there, so it is not visible. Am I risking overheating?

Top Bottom