• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands |OT| Squad Goals

Dervius

2 pages for an OT of a new AAA(?) game on release day? Not a lot of traction so far, huh? The betas didn't do this game any favors.

This post on the fourth page?

But on GAF the general consensus after the beta was seemingly negative.

The positive reviews have come as a shock to many. Hopefully it gains momentum over time. Am definitely keen on this.

dex3108

2 pages for an OT of a new AAA(?) game on release day? Not a lot of traction so far, huh? The betas didn't do this game any favors.

Meanwhile on Steam

oOCzNvJ.jpg

The positive reviews have come as a shock to many. Hopefully it gains momentum over time. Am definitely keen on this.

GAF is good for finding single player gems but the general consensus is usually pretty down online focused games. This game seems to be as fun as your creativity will allow you to have.

TheMan

honestly, I think it's one of those games that will shine once you get past the jank. Hell, even absolute dreck like alpha protocol had its defenders.

I do plan on picking this up at some point.

also if you have your settings right you get 100post per page, 50 posts per page is for n00bs

NH Apache

Banned

People are knee deep in other games at the moment.

For many people, I can see this being a buy at later time kinda thing.

Me and a friend started the game right at 12:00 midnight and played through the starter area from the betas until 5:00 AM this morning. While the game has it's blemishes I can't remember the last time I have laughed so hard at some of the chaos you can make happen in this game. Seriously, my insides are still hurting. It really is a pure joy with a co-op partner.

If you can get past the characteristics that you would normally expect from a Ghost Recon title while creating your own fun intertwined with the story/side missions, etc there is a really good time to be had here. Weapon/character customization adds greatly to the experience as well.

Treat it as a semi-serious (at most) experience and you'll be fine, treat it as a chaos and destruction open-world simulator and you'll have a lot of fun.

Whenever the "parachute" becomes available purchase it with skill points and by all means BAIL OUT! when things start to go south when piloting aircraft. This mechanic combats the flight controls and creates a lot of extremely humorous moments/encounters.

I'm not positive a lot of the stuff you can do to have fun with this was intended by the developers but I'm sure glad it's a thing.

Edit: Looking at the map just now it looks like we ventured into two other areas outside the starter area as well. Also, I'm not saying you need to go all "chaos and destruction" all the time as you can go with a stealth approach or somewhere inbetween. In our experience we were in and out of different variations of gameplay/tactics throughout the playthrough.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
I know I shouldn't be getting another game but, ugh, hype.. How is the coop? Can you join up with randoms?

Kadin

I know I shouldn't be getting another game but, ugh, hype.. How is the coop? Can you join up with randoms?
I was playing with a friend last night and accidentally pressed and held Enter not knowing what I was doing and a few seconds later 2 other randoms joined. People coming in and out of your game is very seamless.

Predwolf

Loving it!

Anybody else having issues with the website though? I want to disband my glitched task force that I made during the beta, but I don't think my account data has synced with the server yet as it tells me I have to buy the game before I can get to the task force page.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Yes, you can join up with randoms.

I was playing with a friend last night and accidentally pressed and held Enter not knowing what I was doing and a few seconds later 2 other randoms joined. People coming in and out of your game is very seamless.

Nice, I see neogaf has a task force. I might jump on this to have some fun away from my souls games.

Belker

Played a bit with Sparrows. Put it on hardest difficulty and turned of basically all the UI. Found it a bit too difficult with only two of us, so we comprised and turned markers back on.

We ended up stumbling across a camp that had an NPC that needed kidnapping. We were smooth and silent - until we weren't. The NPC legged it and we ended up Ina firefight on a bridge with mortars coming in and Sparrows desperately trying to drag the hostage away and avoid fire.

I've got a twitch video, but I'm holding off posting incase it's bad etiquette.

Edit

Oh, we found out that time of day is synced for coop, but the weather isn't. My screen was bright and sunny, Sparrows' was raining.

cripterion

WTF! That is really bad. I wonder if it was a bug or that's how the game works.

I'm pretty sure it's not a bug, the convos don't sync too and the game actually thinks you're a full squad with a mix on female and male characters when I was just playing with a friend as a squad of 2.

ValfarHL

I'm pretty sure it's not a bug, the convos don't sync too and the game actually thinks you're a full squad with a mix on female and male characters when I was just playing with a friend as a squad of 2.

What the hell. The weather thing is kinda game breaking in a coop game like this..

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
For people playing on Extreme with no HUD-

I found using the Wildlands HQ phone app thing synced to the game is a great compromise. Going between looking at the map on my phone and the TV to orient myself in the world is pretty awesome.

Gaz_RB

This game is so dope my god

For people playing on Extreme with no HUD-

I found using the Wildlands HQ phone app thing synced to the game is a great compromise. Going between looking at the map on my phone and the TV to orient myself in the world is pretty awesome.

Hell yeah. Good idea.

Zasa

Thankfully GAF never has, & never will be a decent indication of what the general audience thinks.

This was never going to be a GAF type of game.
Reviews from trusted sites > GAF opinions.

Ordered ages ago off the Ubisoft store, tried cancelling nearly a month ago but was told can't as it needs to be done 28 days before release. Yet here I am on release day and the game hasn't even been shipped. Been waiting for 30 mins phoning customer support.

Hopefully I'll get to play it eventually.

Kadin

Has anyone found a way to rebind the tactical map option? It's set to M by default and want to bind it to a mouse key. I can't see the setting for this in key binds.

They give you the option to turn off the dead zone entirely. However, there's still input lag. It's not horrible, but it's still kind of annoying.
Thanks, not buying it then. I'm really sensitive to that stuff. Ubisoft has almost always have this problem sadly. Far cry is super horrible on ps4, division is a tiny bit better but still the reason I straight up quit that game

Dubz

GAF is good for finding single player gems but the general consensus is usually pretty down online focused games. This game seems to be as fun as your creativity will allow you to have.
Destiny has like 50 OT's. The issue here wa the beta wasn't that fun. I love GR games, but mostly for pvp. Once this gets pvp I will probably jump in.

DryvBy

What exactly did people like in the beta? This is a serious question.

The beta when I played had poor AI, poor vehicle controls, copy-paste collectibles from The Division, a lame story, cheesy voice chatter. The thing I did like was the gun customization and the coop was at least solid.

This isn't at all what I expect from a Ghost Recon game. I was very hype on it.

Vic_Viper

So how is this as a single player game? Worth getting without the coop? Is there a group finder option?

This game seeemed like it would be really good but now that its out im not so sure lol. Havent heard anything in the lead up to it. Could be that it just got drowned out by Zelda, Horizon, and Nier. But I assumed this game would still have some hype considering there arent too many new shooters out like it since Gears.

I'm still waiting on more single player impressions before cracking the cellophane on my pre-order PS4 copy. I'm well aware that people are pushing the online co-op component with this one but I have zero interest in chatting online. Also, the idea of having to do work to put together a reliable group for gaming and scheduling time to play online is about as far from what I want to do with my spare time as I can imagine.

Not to sound overly anti social but I’m tired of people poo-pooing anyone wanting to play these types of games in single player mode. Particularly when online chat is assumed as a necessity – screw that!

From all previews I’ve seen this looks like it will be quite a fun sandbox to mess around in – almost like a Mercenaries kind of experience.

Seventy5

Got this ready to pick up after work, but I saw a fuckton of currency packs on t the PS Store....if this some RNG bullshit P2W garbage? Also, is constant connection required?

Gaz_RB

Any way to turn off the squad and go truly solo?

I'd like to just turn this into a Splinter Cell game if I'm not playing with friends, haha.

I'd like to just turn this into a Splinter Cell game if I'm not playing with friends, haha.

Yeah, I wanted this option as well when not playing co-op but sadly it doesn't look like it is an option unless I'm missing something.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Downloading my copy now after a frustrating situation with Sony Webstore..kept rejecting my purchase but CS asked me to try through console and boom order complete. Weird.

Unity2012

Send the squad away from you and give them the "hold position order." I do that when i want to approach an area alone.

I can't confirm this right now, but the poor performance is apparently tied to having a controller plugged in and/or controller support enabled in game:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GhostRecon...ltra_1080p_60fps_with_a_gtx_1080_and/delxbd6/

I had both a controller plugged in and the support enabled in the beta and my performance was pretty mediocre (never higher than 35-50 FPS with mixed high/ultra settings at 1440p with a Titan X Maxwell).

God damn it, first I have to disable SLI for it not to crash and if I want better performance I have to stop playing with a controller? Ended up having to lower the resolution and upscaled it back to 1080p to keep a steady 60 fps. This game is fun but these issues suck.

Jebral

I'm one of these types that is here for single player only. 66 minutes of derping and benchmarking and I'm still not sure...

So. Since I am playing single player, is there a way to command your companions individually? Or is it group commands only? Kinda blows if I can't split my dudes up.

DrBo42

I'm one of these types that is here for single player only. 66 minutes of derping and benchmarking and I'm still not sure...

So. Since I am playing single player, is there a way to command your companions individually? Or is it group commands only? Kinda blows if I can't split my dudes up.

It's baby mode squad management. All or nothing and only 4 options or so. Part of the reason it's recommended to just do co-op.

MaxiLive

Thanks for the co-op session even with the questionable heli spawns.

fyzfRW8.jpg

Sorry about the voice comms my Vive was being picked up as the default mic...

Tecnniqe

Banned
Just finished a good few hours with GAF. Holy crap I think I laughed so hard I cried at least twice if not more.

10000% worth.

U2NUMB

I was hoping to but I did not see the option. I plan on playing most the game with my brother but last night was starting solo. When my squad AI all moved across the road in front of the main bad guy in the first mission and neither responded it broke everything about the setup.

Outside of that I am really enjoying the game so far.. can not wait to play co op with my bro.

Dabanton

Yep look at any thread discussing GTAV: Online a lot of people on here didn't get why that part of the game is as big as it is.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Ok, the GhostReconNetwork is the worst site in existence and it seems to not only fail to accept members, but it also wipes the entire request section when it fails.

Throw me a PM and I'll try to sort you out manually when I can....

God damnit Ubisoft

FatalT

Banned
I loved the Betas and just got back from Redbox. Returned Horizon and picked this up.

EDIT: I played through the Betas mostly solo with the A.I. squad members and didn't have much trouble. The sync shots are super OP and almost made me not want to play with real people so don't worry if you're flying solo. After I finished all the missions I co-oped with randoms and it was a chaotic, fun-filled mess though so co-op is definitely where it's at for shenaniganry.

Top Bottom