• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Trading Card Game |OT| Gotta Collect them all!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh sorry did have one question for the Pokemasters as well. Are there any good 2p playmats that outline the different areas (or even 1P, I could just buy two)? The folded ones are so flimsy and all the ones I could find online just have art on them. Any other good little accessories to get too?

ZeroX03

Banned
Their monetization approach to the online game kind of cracks me up. It's not at all the "typical" IAPs. Like you can't even indirectly buy packs right? Just tickets for tournaments. And then every physical set has a key for online like you said...and I'm actually pretty amazed at how cheap some of the nice theme and duel decks are...really easy to get into the game from a financial perspective. Buy a $10 duel deck and suddenly you have 100+ new cards for use IRL (and the nice little coins and stuff) and online. That's pretty consumer friendly compared to what I'm used to.

(And of course I'm sure the above is the exact opposite at the competitive level, but hey gotta do that gouging somewhere! ;))

Best way to approach PTCGO is to buy codes for packs online. Reddit, websites, whatever. Sounds like a complicated IAP, but it works. They're very cheap, and they get you to a competitive place quickly. The grind for Pokemon is a lot worse than something like Hearthstone because you're saddled with theme decks for a long time if you do it the old fashioned way. And theme decks are 90% luck. But a small investment in PTCGO is huge. You can get a booster box worth of codes for $10. So many cards. From there you can trade your way to a top tier deck.

Dominator

I have a ton of gen 1 cards from the late 90's, but I buy a few packs here and there to reminisce. That Charizard card in the OP looked familiar and yep, I somehow have it lol

5BDBC615-B3AA-4C4D-9331-67EA757B120A_zpsggphqw43.jpg

FeD.nL

Well thanks to this thread (and a bit due to Pokemon Go) I decided to pick this up. Decided to buy a couple booster pack codes to get a good base, got a Groudon/Primal Groudon out of the first few packs and decided to spend today trading for a Groudon deck. Probably not the best but having a ton of fun playing with it so far:

It should be rotation ready, and if anyone has any ideas on how to change things it would be appreciated!

FeD.nL

Seems abit much, Redditors sell codes cheaply here

https://www.reddit.com/r/pkmntcgtra...ure_only_buyingselling_ptcgo_items_post_your/

Fates Collide packs can be bought for as little as 0.23 each.

1.49 for a Steam Siege code... yikes. I buy my pokemon cards and codes from this site. https://pokemonforever.net/index.php
They haven't done me bad yet

Well guess I had to learn it the hard way. But thanks for the links, will definitely use them in the future!

Anony

i'm interested in building a psychic deck, none of the theme decks seem good, any tips?
(for digital game of course)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
No link to the online version in the OP?

In any case, as someone that's been interested in seeing how it's changed over the years: What all has changed in regards to the move from Wizard's (mid-late-90's) to Nintendo/Pokemon Company (00's?) for the game in terms of design/power level or creep/etc.?

Also does the Trading Card Game Online do older sets? I'd love to play some Team Rocket or the Gen-1 Gym Leader expansions, but that's probably not the case. :/

ZeroX03

Banned
Reddit is probably the cheapest place to get codes.

Give the new set a few weeks and the prices will stabilize.

Anony

No link to the online version in the OP?

In any case, as someone that's been interested in seeing how it's changed over the years: What all has changed in regards to the move from Wizard's (mid-late-90's) to Nintendo/Pokemon Company (00's?) for the game in terms of design/power level or creep/etc.?

Also does the Trading Card Game Online do older sets? I'd love to play some Team Rocket or the Gen-1 Gym Leader expansions, but that's probably not the case. :/

i think you're like me, i stopped collecting after the first few sets of pokemon cards, and alot has changed (no they dont have old sets in the digital version)

this is what i've noticed so far:

dragon, fairy, steel, and dark types
trainer cards now has been expanded
- - - item type cards which you can play as many times as u want
- - - support type cards which you can only play 1 of each turn
- - - stadium cards which only 1 can stay in play of at a time and augments a specific type of pokemon
EX pokemon, basically overpowered cards that doesn't need to be evolved to play it

Only thing I know of that did anything from that era (minus the Gym sets) was the second Gameboy game, and even then it's not very accurate to the international meta of the day because it features the Vending series and several custom cards that can only work with something capable of RNG. It was also only released in Japanese, but there is a translation patch out there if you're willing to go through the hassle.

There may be some simulator out there, never bothered looking for one myself and they'd probably be shut down due to cutting into TCGO.

Pachimari

So I got back into this game today and completed the tutorial. Anyway, is there any way to change my name? Do and can I do that from my Pokemon account?

I also need friends in this game badly...

Ryökäle

Neo Member
This thread popped up at the right time, was going through my old stuff and found my old Pokemon cards.

Do these have some value today? Most of the cards are in a good condition and the years marked at the bottom of the cards are 1995, 96, 98 and 1999 or 1999-2000 in some cards.

Card Boy

Banned
I kinda wanna get back into a card game. How does this compare to MTG?

Very different.

You cannot take actions during the other players term.
You don't deplete the other players hit points.
Pokémon battle other Pokémon directly
Win conditions are different
Pokémon uses coin tosses (or dice rolls) for some cards.

Other non-gameplay differences

Foils in every pack.
Cheaper boosters and cheaper overall to get into (but 10 cards per booster instead of 15)

You should try the official online game. It's free and will give you a taste of what to expect.

Anyway, is there any way to change my name?

You need to email support i believe.

Anony

Ryökäle;211914987 said:
This thread popped up at the right time, was going through my old stuff and found my old Pokemon cards.

Do these have some value today? Most of the cards are in a good condition and the years marked at the bottom of the cards are 1995, 96, 98 and 1999 or 1999-2000 in some cards.

i think unless ur charizard is in near mint condition, all other old cards have very little value (or at least way less then u expect)

Anony

what's up with that no picture card?

i just discovered that you cannot trade any cards you obtain unless they came from physical booster pack codes
thought about it, makes sense so people dont making multiple accounts and stack, but this makes it near impossible for free players to obtain cards they need

Bii

Oh man, I have many stories and memories to share regarding the Pokemon TCG. My older brother and I used to buy the Base Set booster packs from our local comic shop (packs were selling for $3 or whatever it was at the time). As the TCG gained in popularity, the shops inflated the pack's price to $7 or even $12 each. Right around the Jungle expansion came out, we wanted to sell some of our holos back to the comic shop so we can have money to purchase the new expansion. The owner said that the cards we have were counterfeit because there were things that were wrong on the cards. We tried arguing that the cards we have were bought from his shop, so it would be on him that he sold us counterfeit cards. He told us no and that he won't buy it from us.

Fast forward to two years ago. My brother dug up his little binder of Pokemon cards and still had the cards that the shop wouldn't take. Among the ton of 1st edition Base Set cards was the two shadowless Charizard cards the shop wouldn't take. We had never played with them and they've been packed up all these years. So they are still in excellent condition. I tried to get my brother to get it graded and sell it but will probably have to do it for him.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
reinstalling the mac osx client

fuck it, imma keep working towards building that Greninja deck i wanted to make

1056001.jpg

Krammy

Oh hey, I've got a ton of TCGO codes from booster packs when I used to play. I can sell them for maybe like $0.35 CAD per code? Shoot me a PM if interested or if you want to make an offer, I'm not picky.

BW Legendary Treasures (x25)
XY Flashfire (x45)
XY Furious Fists (x19)
XY Phantom Forces (x119)
XY Primal Clash (x00)
XY Ancient Origins (x30)

On-topic, I hope they do more traditional art EX cards. I really hate the 3D models that 5ban Graphics use, and both the Rayquaza EX and Hoopa EX that Ryota Murayama drew are stunning!

EDIT: Changed pricing and added list.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Oh hey, I've got a ton of TCGO codes from booster packs when I used to play. I assume the game is rotating out up to Primal Clash? I'd be interested in selling them for basically the time it takes me to write them down.

If so, I've got about 75 Primal Clash booster codes, and 36 Ancient Origins booster codes. I've also got about 125 Phantom Forces booster codes if those aren't being cycled out. Maybe like $8 CAD for every 25 codes? Shoot me a PM if interested or if you want to make an offer, I'm not picky.

On-topic, I hope they do more traditional art EX cards. I really hate the 3D models that 5ban Graphics use, and both the Rayquaza EX and Hoopa EX that Ryota Murayama drew are stunning!

super interested, i'll PM you!

Skatterd

Just recently got into TCG online thanks to Pokemon Go.
It's all I've played the last couple days...wish I would have known it existed years earlier!

fenners

What's the scoop on sets going out of rotation once the new Steam set comes in this week?

I have no idea what order all these XY/BW sets came out in... so many TLAs!

Krammy

What's the scoop on sets going out of rotation once the new Steam set comes in this week?

I have no idea what order all these XY/BW sets came out in... so many TLAs!

Bulbapedia is a good source for figuring out which order the sets released in. Rotation information can usually be found on the official Pokemon TCG site, but it doesn't seem to be out yet. Most people assume it rotates the first half of the XY set, up until XY Primal Clash, which was the start of the sets after Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire. Adding to that, staple cards from XY Phantom Forces and prior, such as VS Seeker or Professor Sycamore, have already been reprinted in XY Primal Clash and beyond.

fenners

Bulbapedia is a good source for figuring out which order the sets released in. Rotation information can usually be found on the official Pokemon TCG site, but it doesn't seem to be out yet. Most people assume it rotates the first half of the XY set, up until XY Primal Clash, which was the start of the sets after Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire. Adding to that, staple cards from XY Phantom Forces and prior, such as VS Seeker or Professor Sycamore, have already been reprinted in XY Primal Clash and beyond.

Yeah, reading it now. Awesome resource. Reddit's got some good guides to deck building too.

FeD.nL

Really enjoying the game so far. For some reason I didn't expect it to be this polished with all the features it is offering (trading, tournaments etc.). They really nailed the feeling of battles. Just extremely satisfied atm, looking forward to playing this a whole lot in the foreseeable future.

Also decided to built an Yveltal deck for the standard rotation, found a list but changed up things a bit, still messing with the trainers.

JoeInky

I hate EX Pokemon cards, they feel like such bullshit that someone can just play a 170hp gengar straight away that does 30 damage for only one energy, when all I get in my first hand is a magikarp with 30hp.

I've probably only won 1 or 2 games against them, everything else I usually just end up conceding.

Real Hero

This thread got me to download and play the game. Not thought about pokemon cards for years but I managed to win my first online game with my own created deck

Krammy

I hate EX Pokemon cards, they feel like such bullshit that someone can just play a 170hp gengar straight away that does 30 damage for only one energy, when all I get in my first hand is a magikarp with 30hp.

I've probably only won 1 or 2 games against them, everything else I usually just end up conceding.

Are you new to the game? If so, EX Pokemon are a key component and I'd say make up the brunt of your Pokemon in a lot of decks. They come with their own set of downsides though, in that they give 2 prizes when defeated, and only a handful of them are good, and those can be countered by others fairly easily as well.

As a new player who may not be used to them, I could definitely understand the frustration, but they're by no means bullshit once you start building proper decks.

EDIT: I need to escape this thread before I get back into playing again.

Akim

Banned
Very different.

You cannot take actions during the other players term.
You don't deplete the other players hit points.
Pokémon battle other Pokémon directly
Win conditions are different
Pokémon uses coin tosses (or dice rolls) for some cards.

Other non-gameplay differences

Foils in every pack.
Cheaper boosters and cheaper overall to get into (but 10 cards per booster instead of 15)

You should try the official online game. It's free and will give you a taste of what to expect.

Thanks! Downloaded the game. It's really fun.

The only thing I don't like is the reliance on coin flips.

Card Boy

Banned
67YjcxI.jpg

Look up how much that VS Seeker is worth.

Thanks! Downloaded the game. It's really fun.

The only thing I don't like is the reliance on coin flips.

Fortunately only some cards have this mechanic. Like 90% (probably more) of cards play as normal.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Man no way, there are definitely more than 10% of cards that rely on Coin Flips...more like 50%.

Also cards that can wreck your entire bench like this Rhyperior card I battled against are mean. :( At least the Gyrados I used in one match did that but was balanced by hurting my bench as well.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I actually really like that you can deliberately make crazy high variance decks just to screw with people better than you, but unfortunately coin flips are just boring. Really cool that they have all those individualized coins though.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Also...they haven't got around to representing all the Mega Pokemon yet? Just realized there's no Mega Medicham card at all, even though we're almost into Sun and Moon now.

Top Bottom