• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Corps (The Beatles) and MTV to hold a press conference tomorrow! Set HYPE = MAX

Tiktaalik

http://kotaku.com/5070599/are-the-beatles-coming-to-rock-band-2-and-not-guitar-hero

I just had an alert drop in my mailbox from MTV.

Apparently MTV Networks, owners of Harmonix, and Apple Corps Ltd, administrators of The Beatles releases of the 1960s, are holding a press conference tomorrow to make some announcement about an "exclusive agreement to develop a global music project."

The release lists a number of media contacts, including one of the main PR folks for Rock Band 2.

WHEN: Thursday, October 30, 2008
2:00 pm UK Time, 10:00 am ET, 7:00 AM PT

Previously the Financial Times reported on the Apple Corps wanting to get into Guitar Hero/Rock Band.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/c53ca940-4081-11dd-bd48-0000779fd2ac.html?nclick_check=1

HYPE/SPECULATION GOGOOGO

If the Beatles come to Rock Band I will be buying A LOT of DLC.

EDIT: It has been confirmed. Beatles songs are coming to Rock Band in some fashion!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122531701276881747.html

EDIT 2: MAN FUCK THEM BEATLES DUDES
- Not Rockband branded, a separate non-Rockband game.
- Uses Rockband instruments
- No mention of Rockband DLC or song transfers to Rockband yet.
- Release date set for NEXT YEAR.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serv...inment/?page=rss&id=RTGAM.20081030.wbeatles30

StuBurns

Banned
If it's stand alone retail release, it'll sell insane numbers.

I could see every 40+ year old are going to want this when they see the ads on TV, if they have a console of not.

at first i thought this was about apple computer, and i was excited

then i learned it was about the beatles and rock band, now i'm even more excited :eek:

Amazing news for my favorite Music Game. I'm thrilled.

And it makes sense. Activision have put themselves in an awkward bargaining position as this kind of game takes off. As much as they've clearly branched out into non "Guitar Heroic" music (Coldplay? Mm Hm.), it's probably a hard boardroom sell without tons of cash at their back.

Philosophically, Harmonix has a much purer approach ("Rock" "Band") that, let's be honest, could appeal to a lot more rights holders who actually care about the music.

qwerty2k

ive been holding out on buying rockband/guitar hero sole on the beatles not being on there! now all thats left to tick off is The Libertines.

Struct09

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122531701276881747.html

Beatles License Songs to Viacom Videogame Unit

The Beatles have licensed songs to MTV Networks' Rock Band videogame series, according to several people familiar with the matter, a coup for the Viacom Inc. unit in its battle with rival Activision Inc. for supremacy in the world of rock and roll video games.

The deal, which is set to be announced Thursday by Viacom's MTV and the band's own Apple Corps Ltd., makes the Beatles the next and biggest major band to license its songs to a music-oriented videogame, joining Aerosmith, Metallica, AC/DC and others.

Rock Band and Activision's Guitar Hero have engaged in heated competition over exclusive rights to use music by major acts.

The games Rock Band and Guitar Hero let players use miniature plastic game controllers, shaped like musical instruments, to play along with recorded rock and pop songs to test the players' level of skill. The game publishers have entered a handful of multimillion-dollar licensing agreements with some of the biggest names in the business.

The Beatles represent by far the biggest prize to date in the category. Not only do they have the best-selling album catalog any band, they have not yet licensed their music for sale by download services such as Apple Inc.'s iTunes Store.

Key details could not be learned, such as whether Rock Band is creating a special Beatles-only title, as Guitar Hero has done with Aerosmith and others; which songs or how many of them are to be included; or a release date or price. Rock Band is a product of Harmonix, a division of MTV.

Spokesmen for Apple Corps and EMI Group Ltd., the Beatles' record label, could not be reached immediately. A spokeswoman for MTV declined to comment.

Flynn

EdgeTurn said:
Dave, did you even realize how brilliant you were being when you posted that?

Don't give the guy that much credit. He was in the middle of FCing a song when he posted.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
EGM fucked up?

Rumor section in Oct 2008 issue says The Beatles are going to Guitar Hero and that we wouldn't be playing it until 2010...

DuckRacer

Wario64 said:
EGM fucked up?

Rumor section in Oct 2008 issue says The Beatles are going to Guitar Hero and that we wouldn't be playing it until 2010...
EGM also said Bizarre was making the Bond game. They're about 50% accurate.

Beatles for Rock Band 2? MTV & Beatles win. ERTS gets some benefit but is probably furious they didn't develop their own game independently.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
smuj3t.jpg
smuj3t.jpg
smuj3t.jpg

Kafel

Banned
Wario64 said:
EGM fucked up?

They had one of the parts involved good.

This is awesome.

Hope its a DLC pack though, and not a separate game. I would buy the shit out of the entire album of Sgt. Peppers or something.

Tiktaalik

A mod should maybe change the title to confirm that Beatles songs are coming to Rock Band in some fashion.

We'll find out the specifics at the conference tomorrow.

Top Bottom