• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big Brain Academy Wii Degree & More Brain Training

nli10

Having just bought both of these games on launch in Europe I was shocked and amazed that there hasn't been more of a fuss made of the kings of casual gaming in NeoGAF - home of the Wii Fit appreciation society.

Brain Age 2 has some great new games - masterpiece recital is a favorite
has anyone got over 95 points - I've got that loads of times but it hints at more points for better rhythm
. The hidden included 'relaxing' puzzle game is also a nice bonus.

Big Brain Academy Wii Degree is much more interesting than the original. Not only do the multiplayer games have more depth and have more customization but when it strays into expert territory then it gets f'n hard (selecting 5 numbers from lowest to highest when it includes negative top-heavy fractions in different sized rotating balloons is tough). Also you can race friends best scores sent via Wii Connect which adds to the fun. Oh and there are cell shaded manga versions of your Miis in the menu screen.

I'm having fun with both games, but I'm already skipping days on both and tending to play most when others are round.

Did anyone else get either of these?

Oh and a previous Brain Academy Vs Brain Training discussion I found while checking for recent threads.

fernoca

bud said:
why are you posting this in the gaming forum?
Well, there isn't a Non-Gaming Forum.....yet.

nli10 said:
(selecting 5 numbers from lowest to highest when it includes negative top-heavy fractions in different sized rotating balloons is tough)
WHAT?!

fernoca said:
Well, there isn't a Non-Gaming Forum.....yet.

And it'll appear in 3,2,1...

(selecting 5 numbers from lowest to highest when it includes negative top-heavy fractions in different sized rotating balloons is tough)

No thank you, I already played enough Math Blaster.

Zoe

How difficult is it to play Wii Degree on a TV? My biggest problem with Sony's take on the genre is the screen is too big to take everything in with one glance unlike the DS.

nli10

GDGF said:
He's casual-hardcore. We got it like that.

We prefer the term Post-Hardcore Gamer actually :D

I got both games to play with non-gaming friends and for relaxing sessions at home, you can't play obscure single-player titles the whole time
without the girlfriend getting annoyed anyway :lol

Zoe said:
How difficult is it to play Wii Degree on a TV? My biggest problem with Sony's take on the genre is the screen is too big to take everything in with one glance unlike the DS.

Not too bad really, multiplayer makes it split screen and smaller, but on my 28" TV the single player (or alternating play sections like the board game) are easy to get used to and are rarely over cluttered.

Is the game a budget title in the USA & Japan too? I got it for £16.99 on Wii which is half the price of a regular title.

Haunted

I got More Brain Training, and I can vouch for it. Most of the games are great, and very nice variations of the previous games - I always play at least one session of missing symbols and correct change a day. My gf is in love with the masterpiece recital (I totally suck at it, though.)

nli10

Haunted One said:
My gf is in love with the masterpiece recital (I totally suck at it, though.)

The most I've ever got wrong is 2 notes :D I wonder if we can have a tournament for that instead...

Got both games as well. More BT is leaps and bounds better than the first one. BBA Wii is great, esp. at the budget price. The multiplayer is frantic and fun. Really good stuff, didn't spend a whole lot of time on it but first impression is very favourable.

For anyone wanting to exchange student records. My FC:

3250 1507 8167 3380

nli10 said:
The most I've ever got wrong is 2 notes :D I wonder if we can have a tournament for that instead...
Hitting the right notes isn't really hard though, keeping the rythm is.

I can sort of keep it in some songs but songs like Kalinka are too fast for me to keep track of the notes.

fernoca

akachan ningen said:
It actually costs $50? Well, if people are buying it, why should Nintendo care if they are giving you a good value or not, right?
Yep....$49.99 plus tax.. :(
But if you register your copy and complete a survey you get a Wiimote keychain... :D

nli10

fernoca said:
It is full price in the US.. :(

Thats seriously evil pricing. Maybe they figure America needs less brain training than the UK/Europe and thats why they keep referring to us as 'Spazz'...

Fantastic game though and racing against records is great fun.

You should avoid buying it if you have casual gamers in the house and want to finish Paper Mario on the VC because you won't be able to get near the machine for long periods of time...

ksamedi

I bought Big Brain Academy fot 30 today, nice game. And Brain Training 2 is already more popular then 1 in my friends/family network. Great game indeed, will definitly be a huge hit everywhere.

Edit: BTW, anyone wants to exchange Wiicodes for Big Brain Academy? Id love to race against some Gaffers.

PkunkFury

I love Big Brain Academy, it's one of my favorite DS games. But I refuse to pay 50 dollars for the sequel to a game that cost me 20 bucks new. The fact that it's budget priced in Europe makes me even less likely to pick up a US copy. NOA really screwed up on this one. I'll hopefully get a chance to rent it down the line

Innotech

Banned
I might give it a rent. Its not worth what theyre asking for it but I could see myself having fun with the game. err...non-game sorry.

£19 in the UK - and absolute steal. The game is great fun, both in single and multi, and while it lacks the content to justify a full price release, at this price point it's hard to complain. My partner & her kids had a blast with it, and while my results suffered from a little too much Newcastle Brown, I'll definitely be returning to try and improve my scores.

I rented this game and i agree with most of comments. Its a very nice game, and an absolute steal for 30 euros. I dunno if i would play it by myself, but i liked it a lot in multiplayer. The puzzles can get very tough. I loved the one that shows 5 numbers and you can hear them in different languages and you must write them backguards.

I really enjoyed the original Brain Age but I can't stomach buying any more games in the same vein. These non-games are fun in spurts only -- Ubi's Verbal Diarrhea game seems like the purchase-worthy non-game.

Neo Child

Banned
number1jagsfan said:
Bought BBA in Asda for 17 quid today. I think its quite fun.

How do I find out my FC so I can swap records with people?

It's your Wii system code I think. You can find that in the message board part of the Wii Menu (bottom right button?)

yayaba

Well, Brain Training 2 isnt out in the US yet and Big Brain Academy Wii is US $50.

As soon as BBAWii is budget price Ill pick it up.

I can pick up a mint copy of BBA: Wii Degree for 30 bucks.

Is it worth it? It's going on Ebay for 40 bucks unsealed right now, so I'm thinking of doing it regardless, but is it worth it as a game? I liked Brain Age, and never played the DS Big Brain Academy.

scottnak

TriangularDuck said:
I can pick up a mint copy of BBA: Wii Degree for 30 bucks.

Is it worth it? It's going on Ebay for 40 bucks unsealed right now, so I'm thinking of doing it regardless, but is it worth it as a game? I liked Brain Age, and never played the DS Big Brain Academy.
$30? I think it is worth it. The games are actually fun... and as you train, the harder levels really do get pretty darn challenging.

Also the multiplayer mode is a whole bunch of fun. I definitely didn't expect it to be such a blast when my friends came over... but I was pleasantly surprised.

It's a solid game for a budget pricing of 30. 50? Not so much, (I got it for 40 at CC opening week... it's definitely pulled its worth for me)

jesusraz

nli10 said:
...masterpiece recital is a favorite - has anyone got over 95 points?

Yeah, I scored a 96 once, but no matter how hard I tried after that, all I could get were 95s! MBT is a lot tougher to reach '20' than BT, I reckon. As for BBA for Wii (not Wii Degree like in the US, despite Chart Track's listing!), I got bored after a day or so...not a patch on MBT in my eyes.

onesvenus

I bought big brain academy the other day and I'm finding it good but a greater number of exercices would be better.
Is there a way of viewing a progression graph like the one in the wii sports training? I can't find one.

Flynn

I think Wii Degree is a must-own for any family with kids. It's a truly fun educational game. I wish they'd have expanded the viral element a little more though. I was able to get a friend to buy the game simply by sending him my score.

Setanta

nli10 said:
Thats seriously evil pricing. Maybe they figure America needs less brain training than the UK/Europe and thats why they keep referring to us as 'Spazz'...

It is the equivalent of US$40 in Ireland and the U.K.
The game itself isnt that bad in short bursts of play. The competing with others, even if it is through the net (friend codes) adds to the competitiveness of it.

Top Bottom