• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft - Why do you keep lying to PC gamers about simultaneous release dates?

dLMN8R

Assassin's Creed
-August 2006: Announced for PC, Ubisoft told PC Gamer it was a 2007 release
-September 2007 (less than 2 months before release): Delayed to 2008

Assassin's Creed 2
-April 2009: Announced for November, 2009 release, no mention of any platforms
-September 2009 (less than 2 months before release): Delayed to 2010

Splinter Cell Conviction
-January 2010: After all platforms delayed, April 2010 release date announced
-March 13 2010: Demo announced
-March 17 2010: No PC demo
-March 19 2010: PC version delayed, coming 2 weeks after 360 version

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
-May 2010: Announced for holiday release on all platforms
-September 2010: Delayed to 2011

H.A.W.X. 2
-July 2010: Announced to be coming out in September 2010
-August 2010: PC version delayed to October
-September 2010: PC version delayed to November 1
-October 2010: PC version delayed to November 12

From Dust
-July 8 2011: Announced for release on July 27 on all platforms
-July 25 2011: PC version delayed to August

Call of Juarez: The Cartel
-June 2011: Console versions July 22, PC version August 26
-July 2011: PC version delayed to September

Driver: San Francisco
-April 2011: Announced for September 6 2011
-August 2011: PC version delayed to September 27
-Also, no demo of course for PC

Assassin's Creed Revelations
-May 2011: Announced for November on all platforms
-August 2011: Surprise! No PC demo
-Actual release: December 2nd, 2011

Assassin's Creed 3
-February 2012: Assassin's Creed 3 announced for October 30th release
-March 2012: Ubisoft promises over and over and over again that October 30th includes the PC release
-June 2012: PC version delayed

Why does Ubisoft keep lying to PC gamers pretending like they're stupid enough to believe their version will come out at the same time as the console versions?

All the while, they strap on the most restrictive DRM ever created, claiming that it lowered piracy (without bothering to mention sales numbers)

Is their strategy working, focusing on console games, neglecting PC games, obviously delaying their games not for "polish", but because they don't want one to cannibalize the other?

Well, let's take a quick look at the numbers:

Ubisoft: First half - ~$127 million loss (after conversion). PC games make up 6%.
EA: Last quarter - $221 million profit. PC games make up 29% (non-GAAP), equivalent to the 360, ahead of all other platforms
Activision Blizzard: Last quarter - $335 million profit. PC games make up 7%, or 38% with subscriptions. Last 6 months - $838 million. PC games make up 6%, or 49% with subscriptions

What do you think?

StuBurns

Banned
They don't want to launch at the same time, they don't want to say it's because of some anti-piracy policy so they'd rather just delay it probably.

As for the percentages. EA and ActiBlizz still make AAA PC exclusives, do Ubisoft at all?

Khal_B

I think it's pretty disrespectful to PC gamers, but if I want to run my games at 1080p with a smooth framerate I have no choice but to wait.

I really hope this trend of delayed ports to the PC changes in the future.

inky

It just makes it easier to ignore their games at launch, really. I just buy them during Steam sales at <$20 if at all.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Why don't they say upfront that the PC version will come out at later date? That's what I don't get.

After struggling to understand everything John Carmack was saying at his keynote and Q&A, he does make a point about priorities on the PC. PC games don't sell as well compared to their big money makers (consoles), they're on a tight schedule, shareholders to satisfy, etc. I don't agree with the priorities, but that is my guess. In this case where they miss the mark all the time. They have lofty goals that never pan out?!

Derrick01

Banned
They have like 5 million people working on each Assassin's Creed now. Surely they can spare a few to get the PC version out on time?

Unless they're just being dicks because they think it's funny. It's not by the way..

s2tcT.jpg

yakIP.jpg

inky

ThaiGrocer said:
PC games don't sell as well compared to their big money makers (consoles), they're on a tight schedule, shareholders to satisfy, etc. I don't agree with the priorities, but that is my guess. In this case where they miss the mark all the time. They have lofty goals that never pan out?!

And that is because they don't have a solid PC strategy, not due the nature of the platform or due to "piracy" (which is as widespread in 360). Even EA is betting big bucks on PC because when approached properly it can be a good source of income. Keep pissing on customers Ubi, AC won't last forever.

dLMN8R

ThaiGrocer said:
After struggling to understand everything John Carmack was saying at his keynote and Q&A, he does make a point about priorities on the PC. PC games don't sell as well compared to their big money makers (consoles), they're on a tight schedule, shareholders to satisfy, etc. I don't agree with the priorities, but that is my guess. In this case where they miss the mark all the time. They have lofty goals that never pan out?!
This is bullshit though. Console title after console title is failing recently, outside of the most absolutely massive games like Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed. Countless studios have closed after focusing almost exclusively on console games, with PC ports either being nonexistent or crappy afterthoughts. I thought it would be clear from the results reports I linked to that PC games make a shitload of money when you actually focus on making and marketing PC games.

Look at Bad Company 2:

http://bfbcs.com/

While not an official site, it's still undoubtedly accurate. EA has said the game sold around 9 million copies total, that site happened to track around 9 million unique accounts by simply looking at live servers.

And what do you notice? The PC player count is almost up there with the 360 player count. Yet thanks to digital distribution, it's pretty likely that the PC version actually made more money for EA than the 360 version.

Hence the PC-focus for Battlefield 3.

Obviously, overall, most of the time, the console versions sell better. But Ubisoft has completely dug themselves into this hole where their PC games simply sell like shit.

Activision has Call of Duty selling millions of copies on PC. Not console numbers, but still millions. EA has Battlefield selling millions on PC. I doubt Ubisoft has had a single million+ seller on PC - or even close - in years.

I wonder why.

markot

Banned
Support PC and you get the rewards. It just reminds me of the Wii to an extent, they treat the platform like crap, then wonder about the mystery box of no sales.

games should be ported from the PC version. The damn things developed on PCs anyway. Surely optimisations take time to refine.

The margins on PC are ridiculously higher on selling DD titles. With physical console copies, there's also physical and distributor cuts.

glaurung

THE NO LIFE KING said:
Just notice but the new Call of Juarez: The Cartel did came out last month, right?
That was also the worst shovelware in the recent release history.

Of course Ubi wants the superior console dollar before they even consider releasing one of their games with an almost strangling DRM system for the PC. The idea that some multi-platform gamers who would ideally prefer PC as their system of choice walk into a store and leave with a console version instead of the PC version that is not available is no myth. I have seen it happen first-hand.

So the approach works. But Ubi can get away with it because most of the games that fall victim to this are still below triple A titles - titles that noone gives two shits about as long as they get their short term fun with them.

Is it a shitty practice? Yes.

Is it about to go away? Guess again.

ampere

Yeah they aren't a great PC gaming company.

When I buy an Ubisoft game, it's months after release when it's sub-$20 on console.

dLMN8R

glaurung said:
That was also the worst shovelware in the recent release history.

Of course Ubi wants the superior console dollar before they even consider releasing one of their games with an almost strangling DRM system for the PC. The idea that some multi-platform gamers who would ideally prefer PC as their system of choice walk into a store and leave with a console version instead of the PC version that is not available is no myth. I have seen it happen first-hand.

So the approach works. But Ubi can get away with it because most of the games that fall victim to this are still below triple A titles - titles that noone gives two shits about as long as they get their short term fun with them.

Is it a shitty practice? Yes.

Is it about to go away? Guess again.
But...it's not working. They're losing money. Assassin's Creed is basically their only reliable franchise right now, and even that is so expensive that it's not guaranteeing them any profits.

The entire point here is that Ubisoft is doing what EA and Activision aren't doing - losing money.

BigJiantRobut said:
Delaying = lying?
Well, yes. It's obvious that they never intended to release any of these games simultaneously, so announcing them as simultaneous releases is a blatant lie.

Prince of Persia and Far Cry 2 are literally the only major games in literally the last 3 years that actually came out on PC as simultaneous releases.

If it's not lying, then it's pure incompetence in both development capabilities and scheduling. But it's simply too consistent to be accidental.

glaurung

dLMN8R said:
But...it's not working. They're losing money. Assassin's Creed is basically their only reliable franchise right now, and even that is so expensive that it's not guaranteeing them any profits.

The entire point here is that Ubisoft is doing what EA and Activision aren't doing - losing money.
I was commenting upon the instances wherein I have seen that people who come into a store looking for a game leave with a console copy even though they wanted a PC version.

I cannot comment on the money.

Theory: Someone at Ubisoft gets a bonus to reduce piracy, and has a carte blanche to do whatever they need, to ensure that piracy is low (according to whatever metric of piracy they use). And as a result that person shits on Ubisoft's PC releases.

I expect the same for Rayman.

Great post anyway dLMN8R. Ubisoft's priorities are incredibly cloudy. They seem to want to be in bed with Hollywood and consoles only.

Nix

Banned
Hahaha, man. The trifecta of douchebag developers~ Gotta love them. They're like Activision, except instead of Kotick, they have an Ai bot that basically goes,
~fuck you, and-a fuck you too, PC users, you can go ahead and sue~

Man. What other series do they have going on for them right now though? I know they have AC...who did the PoP series? Ubi? Well, no matter. We still got steam so I say fuck Ubi.

Seagoon

The only game I can see myself purchasing from Ubisoft is Trackmania 2 - if I had the option I'd support Nadeo directly.

Ubisoft are a fucking awful company who constantly and consistently screw PC gamers over with over the top DRM and broken promises. I'd rather they left the PC gaming scene than continue to give it a bad name.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Nothing Ubisoft does these days is particularly good. I've shitlisted them for their always-online DRM and that uPlay garbage, but on top of that they're output is generally worthless. They make games for babies, and I'm not referring to the Imagine series.

maomaoIYP

The only game Ubisoft made in the past few years worth playing in my mind is PoP 2008, and I think I'm one of the few who think so. The game before that? RB6V. Everything else kind of stinks. Especially AC.

Saty

Ubisoft does good PC exclusives and you see their PC section increasing alot in the respective quarters.

The logic behind the delays is apparently that if someone planned to buy the console version but the PC version is available and cracked at the same time then the guy would pirate the PC version and forget about ever wanting it on the console. I'll love to see data on that.
Most of the players who committed to buy the game on console are doing it for reasons which the existence of a cracked PC version won't change.
Also, if those players are easily swayed to get a pirated version then if anything they will pirate the console version. Especially with Ubi's DRM that ensures no 0-day piracy on the PC but when it comes to consoles, the pirated version are up at least one week before the official date.

Redrum_82

I have to say that they did an excellent work with the PC version of Brotherhood.

Sure you had to wait a few months more, but they reworked the menus (complete in-game video settings, exit to desktop option), added an offline mode to the DRM, implemented 3D and 3 monitors display. And on top of that they gave the DLC for free.

I never buy games day one, so I was pretty satisfied when I bought it on amazon for 15£.

The way they announce the PC versions and then delay them is a clear attempt to grab pre-orders with the multi-platform marketing coverage. It's a pretty shady tactic, but I kinda got used to it by now.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
maomaoIYP said:
The only game Ubisoft made in the past few years worth playing in my mind is PoP 2008, and I think I'm one of the few who think so. The game before that? RB6V. Everything else kind of stinks. Especially AC.

PoP 2008 is the only game that I would pay to have removed from my Steam account. It's one of Ubisoft's worst offenses in the past few years.

Sober

The_Technomancer said:
Holy crap there have been four mainline AC games in four years?
When I read the OP, I went "holy crap" at AC being planning to come out in 2006. That feels like ages ago!

I can understand the interest of a PC version released a little later. If you really want to play the game fast, you're kinda forced to buy the game (well, you can still pirate the 360 games but that's the logic).

But the lack of demo is very stupid, the PC is probably the plateform where demos are the most usefull, how the hell am I supposed to know if a game will run well on my PC if I can't try it?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Kabouter said:
At least they still make Anno and Settlers.
I am surprised they have lasted this long, to be honest. Alongside Heroes of Might & Magic. I simply hate their publishing arm and the fact that they constantly prey on certain consumers.

Saty said:
The logic behind the delays is apparently that if someone planned to buy the console version but the PC version is available and cracked at the same time then the guy would pirate the PC version and forget about ever wanting it on the console. I'll love to see data on that.

They will never show you data, they enjoy making baseless claims like most recent: "Our DRM reduces piracy" without presenting a single piece of evidence (God forbid you would actually demand to show how it improves their bottom line).

There has been countless posts about how easy it is to pirate X360. Yet the companies are not listening, going out of business, and then wondering what happened. While smaller teams like e.g. Paradox are making big bucks without non-unionized slave labor to please their shareholders.

I'm glad I live in a country where PC market is alive and well. Awesome CEs, great bundles on all major franchises, etc.

Big Ass Ramp said:
Ubisoft seems to treat PC gamers as the red-headed step-children of the video game industry.

At this point they
we
kind of are, at least in the terms of a lot of big publishers.

They keep lying because they clearly don't want my money. PoP:Sands of time was the first Ubisoft game I distinctly remember purchasing a few months ago and before that it was Rainbow six for the 360 like two years ago. They are basically making themselves disappear little by little in my eyes with their behavior and it ain't gonna get any better as I continue to gravitate towards the PC platform.

Incompetent dolts

Kabouter

speedpop said:
I am surprised they have lasted this long, to be honest. Alongside Heroes of Might & Magic. I simply hate their publishing arm and the fact that they constantly prey on certain consumers.
I guess they keep selling well, because Anno 1701, Anno 1404 and soon Anno 2070 aren't that far apart. Hopefully they'll announce a new Settlers soon, I loved Paths to a Kingdom.

Lime

Snuggler said:
Nothing Ubisoft does these days is particularly good. I've shitlisted them for their always-online DRM and that uPlay garbage, but on top of that they're output is generally worthless. They make games for babies, and I'm not referring to the Imagine series.

From Dust, Settlers 7 and Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes unfortunately suffer the fate of being games published by Ubisoft. Not essential purchases, but definitely experiences worth trying out.

wutwutwut

Snuggler said:
PoP 2008 is the only game that I would pay to have removed from my Steam account. It's one of Ubisoft's worst offenses in the past few years.
Open a ticket with Steam support -- they'll be happy to do that.

Kabouter

Lime said:
From Dust, Settlers 7 and Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes unfortunately suffers the fate of being games published by Ubisoft. Not essential purchases, but definitely experiences worth trying out.
Settlers 7 was one of the best games of last year, while I wouldn't use the word essential for any video game, I would say that it's at least highly recommended.

Top Bottom