• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Played level 1 with Intensity 9. The game fucks you apart (also its official, flying sections are much harder), I was killed just before i got to twinbellows because some fucker decided me to shot me from behind after getting out the intensity gate with the tank), but I could kill twinbellows with intensity 8 (and do the same road to it again) just fine.

Intensity 9 is just too much I think. I hope theres not an achivement for beating a level (or the game) with intensity 9. (theres one for playing any level with intensity 9 though even if you are killed).
Also you get pretty amzing weapons.

Guesong

Just started it.

I can definitively see handcramps in my near future if I want to play this on bus or at school without the support.

But damn. Why is this game so good. Voice acting and writing also really stands out for a Nintendo game.

So good.

I'm not really defending the controls per se, but they definitely fall under the category of "you adapt to them, they don't adapt to you". I have had more success aiming with the touch screen instead of the Circle Pad though.

Chapter 19 spoilers:
I was fucking dying at the loading screen joke.
Chapter 20 help!:
I seem to be lost in an area with a door with a lock on it at the end of a short staircase. I've been wandering around and can't figure it out.

find the
key in the lower level

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Neat, got my AR cards in the mail today from the Club Nintendo special.

Palutena (Rare), Great Reaper, and Drill Arm

I'm clueless on these things. Also, I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy this while Best Buy still has the $30 special price going on. Everyone speaking such crazy praise is giving me the itch. Is the multiplayer really broken feeling or is it pretty balanced?

Korosenai

Neat, got my AR cards in the mail today from the Club Nintendo special.

Palutena (Rare), Great Reaper, and Drill Arm

I'm clueless on these things. Also, I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy this while Best Buy still has the $30 special price going on. Everyone speaking such crazy praise is giving me the itch. Is the multiplayer really broken feeling or is it pretty balanced?

Multiplayer is completely balanced. Every weapon has their own person, and are useful in their own scenarios. And if you have a super good weapon that does good damage, then when you die, your teams meter drains faster, so you need to find a good balance between damage and value.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I understand your point, though I have a different point view on this question. Take PES Team Maker on wii for an analogy: Konami created the most innovative controls in a sports game ever. Yet less people than expected bothered dealing with the learning curve in the first releases. So they added classic controller support in the latest editions. The result is fewer people bought it and those who did (I take my friends and online opponents as a sample) went to what they knew, classic controls. Instead of imposing their vision of a brand new gameplay, Konami tried to compromise. And they failed at making Team maker controls a popular setup in the process.

Kid Icarus is an author game, with an ideal control set up in mind, which is based around the stylus/touchscreen. And I'm glad most people will have to try it. Because for all those who will not like it, there will be others who will have a revelation of how good it is to play like that.

And there's a benefit for me, as more 3DS (and Wii U) developpers will be able build on KI's audience, now familiar with such controls.

The difference is that the Wiimote makes for a fantastic control scheme where as the 3DS doesn't. You shouldn't emphasize an inferior control scheme just because your handheld lacks features.

That wasn't my point man. I'm all for dual analog support on ccp. But making it default will change the game drastically, not "without sacrificing much."

When I was saying 180 turn, I should have said 360 turn, where you can looking around and targeting various surround enemies at a much greater speed.

I didn't quote you and I wasn't talking about your earlier post. You're arguing against points I did not make.

Darryl

Banned

i don't think there's much opportunity for this game to be dramatically unbalanced. powerful weapons murder your teams health bar faster on death. matches are usually short so you can counter pretty fast. you can counter not only by changing your weapon, but by trying to equip different abilities. even if your team is out-matched with their weapons, there's items on the stage that can really mix things up.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
i don't think there's much opportunity for this game to be dramatically unbalanced. powerful weapons murder your teams health bar faster on death. matches are usually short so you can counter pretty fast. you can counter not only by changing your weapon, but by trying to equip different abilities. even if your team is out-matched with their weapons, there's items on the stage that can really mix things up.

Multiplayer is completely balanced. Every weapon has their own person, and are useful in their own scenarios. And if you have a super good weapon that does good damage, then when you die, your teams meter drains faster, so you need to find a good balance between damage and value.

Thanks guys. That's sort of what I was hoping to hear. :)

stalker

I just "bought" 144 cards from Club Nintendo (Spain). It's been 25 years since the last time. I hope I don't get too many repeats. I wish I had more points.

gryz

Banned
Yeah if they choose to make a sequel they need to drop these controls.

yeah I also picked this up based on all the recommendations. controls take a bit of getting used to especially since ive mainly been playing vita lately. Why can't I use the big left trigger on the circle pad pro instead of the tiny 3DS L button?

schlew

yeah I also picked this up based on all the recommendations. controls take a bit of getting used to especially since ive mainly been playing vita lately. Why can't I use the big left trigger on the circle pad pro instead of the tiny 3DS L button?

I'm a lefty, and when I use the CPP, I moved the Attack command to the L button, and for some crazy reason, it let me use ZR (the bigger button) as the fire button. So for you, try moving the Attack command to the R button, and hopefully you can use RL as your fire button.

Fletcher

Yeah. I don't think twin sticks would have been fast enough for this game. Really should have been a Wii game. Hopefully this sells well enough that they make the next one for it (or WiiU).

NEO0MJ

Just got this today and I have a question for lefties. Just how do you control this? Been using the CCP but it's just too uncomfortable controlling Pit's movement with my right hand.

moozoom

Just got the V-jumps Kid Icarus Uprising guide book !
sApjs.jpg

The book contains :

• a section with characters art and presentation
  • a strategy guide with maps of the levels
  • illustrated charts with all the enemies, the weapons and the powers
  • some sealed pages with secrets (didn't open it yet)
  • a manga and many illustrations throughout the book
  • two posters than can be used as game mats to play with the cards (from what I understood)
  • 24 AR cards that must be punched out (a little smaller than those you get in the blisters)

Some ugly pics I took :

I didn't have much time to play the game (just finished chapter 3) so I'll keep the secrets sealed till I finish it to avoid spoiling myself...

branny

Just got this today and I have a question for lefties. Just how do you control this? Been using the CCP but it's just too uncomfortable controlling Pit's movement with my right hand.
For me, ABXY movement + Circle Pad aiming with sensitivity cranked up. Most other lefties here are using ABXY movement with stylus aiming while some are even just playing with the default righty scheme. I could never adjust to using a nunchuck in my right hand on the Wii, but that's not an issue with this game for some odd reason.

Yeah. I don't think twin sticks would have been fast enough for this game. Really should have been a Wii game. Hopefully this sells well enough that they make the next one for it (or WiiU).
See, I don't understand comments like this because the game has a scheme like that already and plays perfectly fine with it.

Just wanted to contribute to the acclaim for this game. I'm only at Chapter 5, but so far, it's been so damn fun to play. This might be my favorite thing Nintendo has done since Wind Waker.

Alchemy

An hour is a short learning curve.

You don't expect to master Smash Bros games in an hour do you?

Master != Not feeling inept

I certainly can and did learn the basic controls of Smash Bros in minutes. That doesn't mean shit about game knowledge though or practicing high level execution like wave dashing.

zroid

Banned
I've tried aiming with the circle pad, but I really can't get a handle on it. For some reason the bounding box turning doesn't do it for me. I don't love the "globe spinning" system, but it certainly seems to work better and more snappily than the circle pad. I don't know, it's just awkward.

I think Sakurai had the right idea with the controls. Definitely weird, and a little uncomfortable, but it works brilliantly.

Bullza2o

Just got the V-jumps Kid Icarus Uprising guide book !

The book contains :

• a section with characters art and presentation
  • a strategy guide with maps of the levels
  • illustrated charts with all the enemies, the weapons and the powers
  • some sealed pages with secrets (didn't open it yet)
  • a manga and many illustrations throughout the book
  • two posters than can be used as game mats to play with the cards (from what I understood)
  • 24 AR cards that must be punched out (a little smaller than those you get in the blisters)

Some ugly pics I took :

I didn't have much time to play the game (just finished chapter 3) so I'll keep the secrets sealed till I finish it to avoid spoiling myself...
Do you live in Japan? If you live in US, or for anyone from US who got this, is it available at Mitsuwa? I wanna get one.

zroid

Banned
Actually I'm surprised there isn't an official guide book for KI:U in North America. With the sheer amount of shit in this game, it would seem opportune to have one.

I'd probably buy it.

I've just been using the right-handed control scheme, which is difficult but doable. I don't own the CCP, and I really can't stand moving with the face buttons. To my surprise, aiming hasn't been much of an issue.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE

I got through the first couple moving the reticle with my thumb like the game suggests and was finding it manageable. I just got my Circle Pad Pro and was hoping it would alleviate some of my control issues. I really hate it. Like you said, moving Pit with the right circle pad is really uncomfortable, and I don't really feel more accurate using the stylus as opposed to my thumb. I'm sure I could learn to use the CCP, and I hate smudging the touch screen so much, but using my thumb's been working out fine.

SmithnCo

Up to chapter

Game is still awesome. I feel sorry for Pit though because it seems like every character verbally shits on him. lol

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
two posters than can be used as game mats to play with the cards (from what I understood)

there are instructions on how to play the game in the black and white section right by the poster pullout

it's basically game-izing the AR battle thing - makes me wonder when we're going to see proper card battler stuff hit

Hale-XF11

Just won 10 online matches in a row, lol. I'm telling you guys, play MP a lot and you will get used to and even master the ground controls.

ryushe

I've played plenty of 3rd person games where I can do a 180 by pressing a button.

The defenders of these controls are getting into hyperbole now...

You can do a 180 in this game by pressing a single button.

It's the R button. Actually it straight up changes the camera to what ever direction you are holding the stick to. I slap it with my pinky from time to time. but you can change it to a face button

Also I got that 4 mins thing on 5.0 intensity just bum rush through it, ignore monsters and such. I didnt even use Tirelessness
This is why I said before that the worst thing about the controls are its default setup. If the game made its default more palatable and ergonomic, a lot of people wouldn't even factor in the controls as being the games blight.

I mean, is anyone who's really enjoying the game even using the default setup?

Top Bottom