• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knuckles isn't "black"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokonoe

Banned
So as we've seen from Sonic Adventure 1 and Sonic Adventure 2, Knuckles had some rap themes to give off the character's personality in said games. Jokingly, because of this and because of some of the nature of the music, the popular assumption is that he himself is the "black" character in Sonic games similar to the joke that Piccolo is in DBZ. (Dred Foxx did the rapping in the original Knuckles theme, Unknown from M.E. in Sonic Adventure 1 and Hunnid P did in Sonic Adventure 2)

With that said, he's actually Mayan, or based upon that.

You can see this in Sonic Adventure where on the Floating Island there are remains of very similar to Mayan architecture, and later on in the past you see that the Knuckles Clan live in Mayan themed temples and their artwork is similar to that of the Mayans.

pRojhBXm.png
Wy8bpaO.png

There's also the tribal markings the Knuckles Clan feature.

Xa85Qca.png

Tikal, one of the main characters and part of the Knuckles Clan's name is actually based off an area that has a Mayan temple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tikal

JtkQCuJ.jpg

So there you have it!

4HRDXVXm.jpg

Your attempts at whitewashing one of gaming most diverse characters is despicable.

I had no idea he was considered a "black" character.

Toxi

Banned
I thought Knuckles was red. Because, you know, he's red, like Sonic is blue and Tails is yellow.

I always thought Knuckles had rap music simply because he's always trying to give off something of a tough guy vibe.

That's what I had assumed as well. I mean, he's red right as Sonic is blue and Tails is yellow? Doesn't really have any stereotypical speech either. He was just that 90s cool and had some rap to go with it.

Ilúvatar

Knuckles is red,
Those other things are pink,
That last one is orange(?).

So I think we have clear evidence that Knuckles nor any of his relatives are black - and I also wrote a poem!

That's what I had assumed as well. I mean, he's red right as Sonic is blue and Tails is yellow? Doesn't really have any stereotypical speech either. He was just that 90s cool and had some rap to go with it.

Yeah, that's a good point. It probably does have a lot to do with 90s culture and the whole "Rap = Cool" thing going on at the time.

Zomba13

Are people colour blind or something? Knuckles is red and Piccolo is green. It's Shadow and Mr Popo that are black (though didn't Popo get turned blue in DBZ Kai?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom