• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT2| You're thinking how much you want to **** this game aren't you?

Soar

I was actually going to mention that after completing it last night for the first time, that I found the overall game quite easy, so it's not just me then? I was playing it on normal, but I don't recall feeling once challenged. I also never died once, and I certainly wouldn't call myself a skilled gamer.

Having around 80 medipacks at all times certainly helped.

Is Route B harder? Probably going to start that this week.

No it's quite easy to be honest, but you still need to pay attention in the bossfights, the optionals are way more difficult if tackled 20-30 levels below, though nothing approaching dark souls difficulty.

PixelatedBookake

I beat Nier Automata like, 5 months ago, but one thing I still love about the game is how END OF ROUTE B SPOILERS
there is a fucking trailer for the next half of the game which shows you a bunch of crazy shit after you think you've played through the whole game as 2B and 9S already. Like holy SHIT was I shocked.

Avallon

I can't believe how much this game opened up to me after getting a simple
"show items on minimap"
chip.

Milijango

I was actually going to mention that after completing it last night for the first time, that I found the overall game quite easy, so it's not just me then? I was playing it on normal, but I don't recall feeling once challenged. I also never died once, and I certainly wouldn't call myself a skilled gamer.

If anything it gets easier because of how absurdly powerful a lot of the chips are. Increasing the difficulty to Hard still doesn't do much because you heal instantly anyway. Very Hard is probably just frustrating on the first playthrough because you literally die in one hit to anything.

Ascheroth

No, the difficulty/balancing is my one major disappointment with the game. Levels are far too important and it's far too easy to overlevel.
Route B shakes up the combat a little tho.
Still GOTY#2 regardless of that.

PS4 version is 35 bucks over at Amazon, if anyone's still on the fence.

I don't have a PS4 but GOD HELP ME I'M ABOUT TO DOUBLE FUCKING DIP

Exentryk

I recommended a work colleague to buy NieR and he ended up getting the name mixed up and bought Nioh. Where do I hand over my NieR Shilling card?

LotusHD

Banned
I recommended a work colleague to buy NieR and he ended up getting the name mixed up and bought Nioh. Where do I hand over my NieR Shilling card?

giphy.webp

Soar

Well now he can go and buy Nier. I mean, I understand that both of the protags have white hair but you know there are other significant differences...

Ascheroth

"I want to buy this game, uhm, Ni.... oh, what was it called again?"
"Yes, we have that game. Here you go."

Nierly there, but still a miss.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Route C is definitely where things get interesting. I also noticed that
the A2 and 9S sections take place during different stretches of time, don't they? A2's sections take place immediately after the white tower appeared, and 9S' sections take place two weeks after the whole thing because he was out cold, right?
That would explain why
Pascal's village is fine in A2's sections but is destroyed in 9S's sections.

The logged backstory of
A2 and Anemone
is depressing but not terribly surprising. A2
is starting to show a bit of a heart around Pascal even though she hides it behind being super cold. She's kind of like Lightning, but minus the annoying bits.

It's also interesting how in this route's story, you're basically
watching 9S become A2 in terms of personality

Oh, and the
4O
greatsword is fucking ace when fully upgraded. I really like the
megaman-style idle charge

"I want to buy this game, uhm, Ni.... oh, what was it called again?"
"Yes, we have that game. Here you go."

Nierly there, but still a miss.
A store almost sold me Ninety Nine Nights once when I asked for a copy of 999.

JonnyKong

Just had a traumatising moment on Nier, without realising what I was doing I accidentally sold all my medipacks, I thought I was in the buy section, not sell 🤣 by the time I'd realised it was too late, I'd spent my money on something else, oh well, I've gone from having over a hundred of the things to just ten!

Akuun

Nah, he is on another level lol
I suspect this ties in with the whole thing about
how Adam said 9S has a lot of hatred inside him but 9S denied it at the time.

I'm guessing watching 2B die unleashed all that suppressed hate, and he's just slowly going nuts at this point.

A2 is probably going to have to stop him sooner or later... if she's even alive in 9S' segments.

It's clear the game is building up towards something really huge, but I wonder what it'll be. Having played games like (big spoilers of multiple VNs)
999, VLR, Steins;Gate, Ever17
and so on, I hope it's not a similar kind of
"go back in time to fix something you had no way of knowing at the time" multiverse fuckery.
I hope Nier does something different from that.

Just spent like 10 minutes fighting level 40 Servo, then Jackass told me to eat a mackerel.

-_-

EDIT: Didn't read
"Don't blame me if you die"

jonjonaug

Route C is definitely where things get interesting. I also noticed that
the A2 and 9S sections take place during different stretches of time, don't they? A2's sections take place immediately after the white tower appeared, and 9S' sections take place two weeks after the whole thing because he was out cold, right?
That would explain why
Pascal's village is fine in A2's sections but is destroyed in 9S's sections.

Once you complete Ending C/D you unlock chapter select which has an "order" of sorts for how the C/D route plays out.

Kazuhira

I actually switched the difficulty to the easiest one during my first playthrough,turned on the auto skills,used all my money to buy healing items because i just wanted to continue the story and i still died a lot.
It was my fault because i didn't bother to learn/use all the tools the game offered me,i pretty much used the default weapons during the entire game(no upgrading or buying skills,hell i didn't even know i could change my Pod's skill)..pretty damn embarrasing tbh haha.
Strangely,the perma-death mode wasn't that bad when i decided to put some fucking attention to the mechanics of the game.

Akuun

I'm finding most of the pod skills not that great. The default laser that you get seems to be one of the best ones.

I think the ones I like the most are Mirage and Laser. The rest mostly just seem like less effective versions of those two.

JonnyKong

I'm finding most of the pod skills not that great. The default laser that you get seems to be one of the best ones.

I think the ones I like the most are Mirage and Laser. The rest mostly just seem like less effective versions of those two.

Yeah same, laser is my main with the hammer in reserve.

laser is boring

I like these

Spear: Impale enemies into a juggle position
Wire: by far the most fun and the most combo potential
Blade: Able to juggle enemies around you to extend combos
Gravity: float enemies in a dome
Bomb: fun for comboing with gravity on hordes

cj_iwakura

Route B:
Is it safe to say that 9S is like Kaine in Nier? He knows the true feelings of the machines, hence his insight?

Route B is a massive massive chore. I'm not sure I can get through this.

One thing's for sure, I'm not doing anymore side quests.

JonnyKong

I've decided already I'm not doing any side quests through Route B, just gonna blast through it. Now that I know where I'm going I don't think it will take any longer than 6 or 7 hours to do.

emag

I can't argue with that.

NieR: Automata is brilliant, but the player doesn't have enough in the way of revelations to appreciate and reevaluate what is largely a replay of Route A at that point. The extra/alternate scenes in Route B are great, but there's too much of the same ground covered.

Fortunately, you can blow through the main story of B in, what, six hours?

Got Endings C, D, and E last night. I'm still trying to process what happened.

Did I just
literally fight the game, forcibly retconning the story to restart it from scratch, except with all the characters remade and given all the information gained over the course of the game?
E is a continuation, with the Pods reconstructing the androids after the ending.
The six main pods are the three each that 2B and 9S had, the others I think are simply the ones that were with other androids.

Akuun

E is a continuation, with the Pods reconstructing the androids after the ending.
The six main pods are the three each that 2B and 9S had, the others I think are simply the ones that were with other androids.
They have
three pods each? I must've missed a ton of them lol. I only found one pod in the game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Got Endings C, D, and E last night. I'm still trying to process what happened.

Did I just
literally fight the game, forcibly retconning the story to restart it from scratch, except with all the characters remade and given all the information gained over the course of the game?

I understand the part about fighting the game, but I'm not entirely sure what happened in the very end where the pods rebuilt all the units. Is that a reboot of the game? Or is it a continuation? Or does it even matter, since it seems like the events of the game simply loop in endless war, since the governing bodies of both machine lifeforms and the androids want to continue fighting and advancing?

And where did all those other Pods come from?

It's a continuation. I mean the whole point of the ending is that it might once again devolve into a meaningless fight, but there's meaning in them trying again for a different outcome.

Also it's not retconning the game. The whole situation still happened, but pod 042 managed to salvage the data of 2B, 9S and A2 from the Yorha Database that the pods were created to erase once project yorha was finished, but he didn't want that. He outgrew his programming from his interactions with the androids.

Akuun

It's a continuation. I mean the whole point of the ending is that it might once again devolve into a meaningless fight, but there's meaning in them trying again for a different outcome.

Also it's not retconning the game. The whole situation still happened, but pod 042 managed to salvage the data of 2B, 9S and A2 from the Yorha Database that the pods were created to erase once project yorha was finished, but he didn't want that. He outgrew his programming from his interactions with the androids.
Ah, that makes more sense.

Antiwhippy

They kind of throw a lot of stuff at you at the end. :p

Still though,
the pod's speech before and after the credits fight
is still one of my favourite parts of the game. I still get shivers from
I have come to the conclusion that I cannot accept this resolution.

They have
three pods each? I must've missed a ton of them lol. I only found one pod in the game.
You start with one and you can find another 2 (one with a laser and one with missiles). When you switch to 9S, you can see that they're black-ish, as they're technically different pods.

Antiwhippy

I mean it's kind of extras thing, but you gotta imagine that the pods probably have a lot of "bodies" seeing that you're technically transferring to a new one whenever you fast travel. From a QA by taro he said that
those fast travel machines are actually kinda like 3D printers.

Akuun

They kind of throw a lot of stuff at you at the end. :p

Still though,
the pod's speech before and after the credits fight
is still one of my favourite parts of the game.
Somehow the line
"life is pretty much dealing with an endless string of embarrassment"
hit me hard.

I thought long and hard when
the game asked if I wanted to wipe my save data to save someone. In the end I was like "no, this game isn't fucking around. I think it'll really do it if I say yes" so I said no to go back and handle some unfinished business.

I think I missed a crapton of Project Gestalt logs or something. I have 1-3 from the factory, then like... 9, and that's it
I mean it's kind of extras thing, but you gotta imagine that the pods probably have a lot of "bodies" seeing that you're technically transferring to a new one whenever you fast travel. From a QA taro he said that
those fast travel machines are actually kinda like 3D printers.
I think a part of the game does mention that those machines are
stocked with spare android parts. So I figured that every time you fast travel, those machines dismantle you and send your mind+memories to an identical model that another machine assembles for you, and then "you" effectively come out the other side.

It's a cool idea that obviously only works because they're androids. But I find it amusing how all these machines also have all the unique individual swag that each android wears.

Top Bottom