• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite: Battle Royale |OT| 100 Players on Epic Battlegrounds

Cheaters are bad, but corporations bullying individuals with lawsuits is worse

I don't think so. They aren't going after some guy who bought it. They are going after the people who are spreading it, modifying, and providing feedback to make cheating even more prevalent. Plus, and most importantly from a legal perspective, they are modifying and injecting code into the engine and selling it commercially. It's like textbook copyright infringement.

Guys. Don't sleep on the blue pistol.

And at this range, don't sleep on that burst rifle either.

Yes. It's such a huge map that nobody has discovered those locations yet.

Yeah old bluey is a favourite. I have a fondness for such a powerful pistol, maybe its the Halo CE fan in me.

Theyve definitely added buildings here and there, notably one just outside Tomato Town, and I think they added another structure to tomato town itself in the way of some small walk-in shack

Gator86

Man, they really need to focus on the basics moving forward. The hitching, rubberbanding, inventory system, and basic buttons literally not working issue are all very real problems. The last one is frankly amazing considering it's the most fundamental function of a video game.

Inventory system is still frustrating too. When someone dies and I see a lot of loot, I'm never excited because I know I'm gonna have to slog through the pile to grab what I want, leaving me totally exposed.

Inventory system is still frustrating too. When someone dies and I see a lot of loot, I'm never excited because I know I'm gonna have to slog through the pile to grab what I want, leaving me totally exposed.
I take it you don't switch to the pickaxe first to clear out the ammo and resources first? Takes me seconds to loot someone that I've killed.

Gator86

I take it you don't switch to the pickaxe first to clear out the ammo and resources first? Takes me seconds to loot someone that I've killed.

Yeah, I do that, but when they drop a full set of guns and such it's more annoying. Especially if multiple people have died in a small area. Just kind of seems like a band-aid on a kind of shitty system.

They really gotta work on bullet hit detection in the game, its so god awful.Literally watched the sniper bullet hit the guy and do no damage...Sighhh..

It currently says I'm on 23 wins, but I know it's 28. And I swear I've been on 322 games played since earlier. I hope that's the kind of thing they're working on.

Minarik

My friend and I downloaded this today and absolutely hated it. We play PUBG and were hoping for something a little more casual, but my God it's an unpolished mess. The inventory system is so bad, I don't want to deal with building, and it felt like it lagged or something in every game we played. I could maybe overlook all those issues if it felt good mechanically. We both thought the aiming was horrible feeling and it felt like bullets just weren't connecting. Maybe it needs some more time in the oven so I can try again in the future. Really disappointed.

I don't want to deal with building

That's like playing PUBG and saying "I don't want to deal with camping."

It's the main reason I love playing this game more than PUBG right now.

It currently says I'm on 23 wins, but I know it's 28. And I swear I've been on 322 games played since earlier. I hope that's the kind of thing they're working on.

Yeah something is fucky with the stats. I started out the day with 37 wins. I've won 4 games since then. But it still has me at 38 wins.

EDIT: This might be why.

QMclaP6.png

Seems like they disabled stat tracking to help with the server stability.

I literally avoid fights at this point, SO MANY TIMES I feel like I should of won/had great shots and the spread doesn't go my way. UGH.

Gator86

I literally avoid fights at this point, SO MANY TIMES I feel like I should of won/had great shots and the spread doesn't go my way. UGH.

Same. I use stealth more than anything. In a fight, you could easily lose. In a smart position and stealth, you can't. Discretion is the better part of valor, especially with RNG bullets.

I don't want to deal with building

Same. I usually only use it begrudgingly. I love a lot about the game, but the building doesn't really click with me either.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Fuck, because of this thread I had to, had O!, kill a guy sitting in a bush but was killed instantly afterwards because I was careless. I blame bush GAF!

I'm still downloading the update on PS4 and I started at 10pm eastern. I might be 40%. I hope they get this shit sorted when they update the game again. I ran into this problem last week when they added duos.

Ran some duos with a friend, most of our rounds we ended up with one of us dying while the other lasts till somewhere around like #10-20. We had one round where from the very start we were fighting nonstop (Landed in a clusterfuck, won an team axe fight, then got into like 3 different gun fights back to back), and by the time we hit top 10 we had like a total of like 10 kills between us.

We were fucking set on ammo/armor/medkits/weapons, made it to the final 3 teams.....only for us to both fuck up and back/fall off the ledge of a cliff while we were trying to build a mini fort to protect us from RPG bombardment/dodging stray missiles. Pretty sure I recorded it because of how amazing the overall run was till that point of epic failure.

We were so salty, but laughing our asses off. This game is really damn amazing, I'm addicted after only playing for like 3 days.

I still can't figure out whether the best strategy is to just go balls out and go for every engagement you think you can win, or just play it safe/stealthy. My results seem pretty mixed, but the action packed runs were definitely more memorable

Fuck, because of this thread I had to, had O!, kill a guy sitting in a bush but was killed instantly afterwards because I was careless. I blame bush GAF!

No joke 2 matches ago I was running into the circle and decided to randomly walk in a bush, I kept like bouncing off it and couldn't walk in. I was like WTF! backed up a little and noticed my reticle drag, oh shit a dude! Took him out lololol.

After I got off work I played 3 games. 2nd, 3rd and the last was a W!

I hate coming 2nd... Gotta remember to reload my scar!!

From now on I'm going for air drops, helps your chances a lot of you score a gold scar and gold rpg. Great for the end game

sp3ctr3

I hate coming 2nd... Gotta remember to reload my scar!!

From now on I'm going for air drops, helps your chances a lot of you score a gold scar and gold rpg. Great for the end game

I'm afraid of going for crates. Always someone lurking trynig to take you out whenever you go near it. So that's what I do now lol

Just started playing this a few days ago after a friend put me onto it. Can't believe how addicted I am to this game right now. Having a few friends over tonight and we're hooking up 4 Xbox Ones to play Squad matches while being in the same room.

I only go for crates if I have enough materials to build a nice fort around it before I go to open.

This guy had the right idea. I just showed up at the wrong time :p

I feel like that wastes too much time. I prefer scoping out the crate then smash and grab that sucker and bounce. Building around it takes time (though I'm on console so it's slower there due to controls) makes it obvious you're at the crate, and makes a bunch of noise. In and out like a thief in the night.

I really, really, really, really, really hope they consider making bandages heal up to 100. And maybe make shields more consistent drops. Without sheilds it just feels like you're made of paper. I feel completely helpless running around in a solo game with 75 health....

Gator86

I really, really, really, really, really hope they consider making bandages heal up to 100. And maybe make shields more consistent drops. Without sheilds it just feels like you're made of paper. I feel completely helpless running around in a solo game with 75 health....

I'd prefer it if they just got rid of shields entirely, but I support your bandages suggestion. The shields just introduce too much randomness. It's hard to gauge risk/reward when considering an ambush when a person might actually have 200 health thanks to an invisible forcefield.

RaginRoss

Maybe have smaller shield potions that are as common as bandages?

Some kind of visual indication of shields on enemies would definitely help as well.

I'd prefer it if they just got rid of shields entirely, but I support your bandages suggestion. The shields just introduce too much randomness. It's hard to gauge risk/reward when considering an ambush when a person might actually have 200 health thanks to an invisible forcefield.
Dying from full health to a single bolt sniper body shot is a little too punishing if you ask me. That's why I don't feel comfortable with anything less than 50 shields right now.

ultron87

Yeah, they either need to make it visible before shooting in some fashion or get rid of them. It is super frustrating to absolutely get the drop on a squad, but then you fail because you happened to shoot the guy that had a shield first, so that you're in a 2 v 1 situation for longer then you were expecting.

Gator86

Dying from full health to a single bolt sniper body shot is a little too punishing if you ask me. That's why I don't feel comfortable with anything less than 50 shields right now.

Totally fair. One shot deaths aren't especially fun.

Yeah, they either need to make it visible before shooting in some fashion or get rid of them. It is super frustrating to absolutely get the drop on a squad, but then you fail because you happened to shoot the guy that had a shield first, so that you're in a 2 v 1 situation for longer then you were expecting.

On the other hand, this. It makes every encounter exceedingly random and removes the benefit of planning and surprise. A double barrel shotgun ambush is actually a death trap if they're shielded because they can respond and kill you faster than it takes to get that second blast off after the first is eaten by their shield.

I think I go back to my happy medium suggestion of a clear visual indicator of a shield being present when you have even a single point of shield. Maybe a blue shade over the character, color change on your crosshairs if you target a shielded person, or something else.

I think I go back to my happy medium suggestion of a clear visual indicator of a shield being present when you have even a single point of shield. Maybe a blue shade over the character, color change on your crosshairs if you target a shielded person, or something else.

This is what has to happen. I still personally like the risk/reward situation of making the shields make you glow blue. Sure you can grab extra "health" but it's risky. That way you'll have some deciding to pass over shields in favor of being more stealthy and others deciding to go for them and be more tanky but easily seen.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Yeah, getting one shot in a game like this feels really bad. Some sort of visual so you can tell what you're about to engage with is really important.

I agree that the 75 health block doesn't mesh with this game well either. I'd like bandages to go to 100, medkits to be a full heal + 25 shields or so. As-is you basically need to use a medkit to get 75-100 anyway.

Mikey Jr.

In case anyone is interested, here is what the BR team hopes to finish the majority of in the next 4-6 weeks.

"Thanks for all your support, it’s been a crazy two weeks since we launched on September 26th :)

We’ve picked up steam on the development side and have strike teams working on the below features and improvements:

Gameplay

Team communication incl. voice chat!
General squads / duo polish
Ongoing shooting and balance tweaks
Map POI (points of interest) and loot density improvements
Spectating improvements
Inventory improvements
Quality of life bug fixes

Controller

Alternate configurations
Controller revamp
Input latency improvements on console
Aim assist improvements

UI
10’ console experience of HUD (playing 10 feet from your TV)
“Invite system” polish
MOTD system improvements
QOL features for streamers and content creators (hiding HUD elements, etc.)

Progression
Stats
Leaderboards
Cosmetics / loadout
Progression
Compendium / mission logs

Engine
Anticheat
Console performance, stability, and memory
Server performance and hitch optimizations
Reduction of initial download size and ongoing patch sizes
Level streaming to allow variation for cosmetics
Low end PC compatibility support / improvements

Spinning up more data centers to reduce average ping times
Public test realm

Our general planning horizon is around 4-6 weeks and we hope to accomplish a decent percentage of the aforementioned in that timeframe. Having said that, life is not free of surprises and here is my favorite post on software development estimates ;-)"

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Shields are fine but they should really have a timer. Maybe they could lose 1 point every two seconds or so. Would balance them out by forcing you to carry them (taking up an inventory slot) and pop them as necessary (forcing you behind cover while casting) making it more obvious someone just put shields on.

Totally fair. One shot deaths aren't especially fun.

Right. But that's my argument for shields being necessary. I don't want to see them pulled if bolt sniper damage is to remain as is. I'm kinda ok with headshots taking out a fully shielded opponent though. It's so much harder to pull that off on a moving target. If you decide to stand still long enough to be headshot from a bolt sniper, then that's on you.

A double barrel shotgun ambush is actually a death trap if they're shielded because they can respond and kill you faster than it takes to get that second blast off after the first is eaten by their shield.

Best ambush is a burst rifle ambush :p

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog

At 75 health auto regen should kick in and heal you the rest of the way to 100 slowly. That way med kits are still important.

Yeah, getting one shot in a game like this feels really bad. Some sort of visual so you can tell what you're about to engage with is really important.

I agree that the 75 health block doesn't mesh with this game well either. I'd like bandages to go to 100, medkits to be a full heal + 25 shields or so. As-is you basically need to use a medkit to get 75-100 anyway.

Sniper should do 90 DMG to body and 180 to head. Pretty simple balance right there. It doing 104 to the body is dumb as bricks.

The shooting in this game lmaoooo.

Yeah, the hitscan is the root of the issue.

1. They have to have RNG accuracy to balance hitscan at long distances.
2. The RNG bullets make the shooting feel like a dice roll (cuz it is essentially).
3. Deaths feel undeserved and kills are completely random.

IMO, the only way to fix this is moving to a projectile system like Battlefield or PUBG. They are dead simple to make, or hell, Epic could just buy one of the 4 systems from their marketplace if they are just completely lazy (they would never do this lol but it hilarious).

Why epic is sticking with hitscan is the biggest headscratcher for me. I wish some Journalist type would ask them why they are using such an outdated system for a game that has super long engagements.

I've put in about an hour and some particulars I'm enjoying over PUBG right now are the audio, the speed, and the visibility. There's really no point where encounters feel like you're being pegged from some unseen force miles away in some uncertain direction.

Gator86

At 75 health auto regen should kick in and heal you the rest of the way to 100 slowly. That way med kits are still important.

Sniper should do 90 DMG to body and 180 to head. Pretty simple balance right there. It doing 104 to the body is dumb as bricks.

Yeah, the hitscan is the root of the issue.

1. They have to have RNG accuracy to balance hitscan at long distances.
2. The RNG bullets make the shooting feel like a dice roll (cuz it is essentially).
3. Deaths feel undeserved and kills are completely random.

IMO, the only way to fix this is moving to a projectile system like Battlefield or PUBG. They are dead simple to make, or hell, Epic could just buy one of the 4 systems from their marketplace if they are just completely lazy (they would never do this lol but it hilarious).

Why epic is sticking with hitscan is the biggest headscratcher for me. I wish some Journalist type would ask them why they are using such an outdated system for a game that has super long engagements.

Honestly, I'm totally fine with hitscan weapons and do prefer them. I'd rather they just adjust the RNG aiming to something more skill based really. I don't want to have to lead targets by a mile in an arcadey game like this, but I also don't love bullets basically coming out of my gun at a right angle for an entire fight and getting killed for it.

Mahonay

Banned
In case anyone is interested, here is what the BR team hopes to finish the majority of in the next 4-6 weeks.

"Thanks for all your support, it’s been a crazy two weeks since we launched on September 26th :)

We’ve picked up steam on the development side and have strike teams working on the below features and improvements:

Gameplay

Spectating improvements
Inventory improvements

Controller

Alternate configurations
Controller revamp
Aim assist improvements

UI
“Invite system” polish
MOTD system improvements

Progression
Stats
Leaderboards
Cosmetics / loadout
Progression

Engine
Anticheat

Public test realm

Our general planning horizon is around 4-6 weeks and we hope to accomplish a decent percentage of the aforementioned in that timeframe. Having said that, life is not free of surprises and here is my favorite post on software development estimates ;-)"
that's a shit ton of stuff. Looking forward to it!

Gator86

Gameplay

Spectating improvements
Inventory improvements

Controller

Alternate configurations
Controller revamp
Aim assist improvements

UI
“Invite system” polish
MOTD system improvements

Progression
Stats
Leaderboards
Cosmetics / loadout
Progression

Engine
Anticheat

Public test realm

That's a stupidly giant list. They're iterated on this game at absurd speed. The more I play it, the more into it I am already. Great job to the team working on this title.

G-DannY

they clearly said that hitscan weapons are there to artificially force to close quarter combat (apart from scoped weapons that are projectiles)

and they also said that changing to projectile seems to be easy as switching a button, and that they are still analyzing logs and stats to find the best balance

it's still an early access f2p, with a shitload of dev schedule just posted and an incredible deliver rate on changes

just give them patience and confidence

game is also just a blast to play and to watch, simply take it less seriously now and start to tryhard when it will be in it's final (or at least something similar) form...

Hitscan weapons don't force close quarter combat. The wide cone of fire does, sort of. They just don't want instant kills from long range. But frankly, I think the game has issues with mid range combat too. The AR while crouch firing is still too inaccurate even at medium range imo. I think it's largely the move penalties to aim being too much of a boner. I think move penalties are fine but the penalty needs to drop off quicker, perhaps that would help.

My suggestion for shields would be that, instead of acting like a second health bar, they soak some damage. Soak ratio could be determined by weapon - that would give the devs another way to tweak damage outputs, increase combat depth, etc. They could push low ratios for short range weapons to stimulate CQB, for instance.

Give it a visual indicator just like the Shield Belts from UT and we're good to go.

Top Bottom