• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War: Combat is still fast, No QTE, spirit of a classic fantasy adventure game

Veelk

Banned
What I want...what I've always wanted from God of War combat is depth. I don't need it to be Bayonetta or DMC, but I need something to sink my teeth into.

GoW1 and 2 didn't provide that for me. GoW3 was a great step in the right direction. Then they fucked with GoW Ascension.

So, putting the camera behind Kratos and seemingly taking out the aerial aspect doesn't really fill me with confidence so far. But we'll see.

I just hope this game doesn't fall into same trap as Uncharted 4. Trying to be The Last of Us and failing miserably.

I can already envision the slow walking segments where Kratos Jr. tries to break the silence by mentioning how pretty the birds sound and Kratos tells him to shutup and be a man.

I hope they don't end up just calling the game God Of War.

The Box Art is already finished with the game name printed on it.

GlSvesM.jpg

It is a sequel yeah, but in form of a reboot. So it needs just the first name of the series.
Mortal Kombat 9 was a sequel but more of a reboot, so they named it just Mortal Kombat.
Tomb Raider (2013) was a complete reboot so they called it just Tomb Raider.
DmC was a reboot too and they called it Devil May Cry.
Any reboot whether a sequel or complete reboot from scratch will always be called by the first name of the series.

I just hope this game doesn't fall into same trap as Uncharted 4. Trying to be The Last of Us and failing miserably.

I can already envision the slow walking segments where Kratos Jr. tries to break the silence by mentioning how pretty the birds sound and Kratos tells him to shutup and be a man.

The contrary will happen. Cory in the panel, mentioned that in some cases, both Kratos and his son will be trapped in place at different sides of the door. When you try to find a way to open the gate with Kratos, you will see your son crawling in an unexpected hole and reaching you and looking at you in proudly, like syaing: "See? I can find my way out alone!".
He reassured that he won't be a burden at all and his help in the combat confirms that.

Veelk

Banned
The Box Art is already finished with the game name printed on it.

And that alone is reason enough to reject this game as a whole.
/s
...sorta

It is a sequel yeah, but in form of a reboot. So it needs just the first name of the series.

No, it is not. It's just a straight up sequel. Revamped elements don't make it a reboot.

Any reboot whether a sequel or complete reboot from scratch will always be called by the first name of the series.

You say that as you mention "DmC: Devil May Cry" which is actually a different title from the original, "Devil May Cry"

Jumeira

Banned
I really like the look of this game, looks brutal. Happy to see them abandon the tired formula and combat of past games (completely bored of GoW3 couldn't get past a few hours), easily an RE4 style shift from tradition, looks promising!

ActWan

- This GOW will keep the trend of the epic bombastic intros of he previous games. In fact for such epic intros, they got inspirations from Indiana Jones and James Bond

Holy shit, they can open with younger Kratos arriving in Scandinavia and fighting some god with the blades of chaos!

A man can only dream...

Awesome to see the focus on brutality is still there.
This was my biggest fear when we saw the game last year with the camera/narrative changes they made.

I mean, we still have to see stuff like Minotaur entrails being ripped out.
I got my sense of that when Kratos used a giant trolls log to smash its skull in with his classic maniac roar in the new trailer

Love it!

El-Suave

I'm really curious if Barlog intends and manages to pull of epic boss battles like in the previous God of War games without camera cuts and QTE's. I can't imagine how to do most of the cinematic fights of the other games without QTE's but I hope those moments are still in there.

Aklamarth

"I can't imagine how to do most of the cinematic fights of the other games without QTE's"

Well, technically a QTE is a cinematic sequence with user input. So they will either convert those sections to cinematic sequence or do a "scaled back" version of the fight like any other 3rd person game does boss battles.

Beyond the central relationship of Krato and his son, the game will allow players to befriend allies who will also be able to help out. One of those allies is the dwarf Sindri, who crafted the legendary hammer Mjolnir. He’s a weapons merchant, sure, but if you interact with him it’ll eventually lead to a reconciliation with his estranged brother Brokkr.
God of War will still have plenty of brutal combat and bloody executions, but the Kratos Barlog described sounded far less like the unlikable brute of past games. When asked if that was a deliberate response to those who criticize Kratos as being a one dimensional character, Barlog disagreed that the changes were quite so dramatically motivated but acknowledged the change. “Who I was and how I view the world is different now,” Barlog said. “We had initially embraced the concept that Kratos was an anti-hero. You didn’t want to root for him. But how interesting would it be to take a person who had fallen and figure out how they will pick themselves back up?”

giphy.gif
\

I was speculating on this after the trailer at the PS conference, absolutely thrilled to see that I'm right. Kratos from GOW2 and 3 had very little depth compared to what kind of character we're seeing here.

I'm so into the direction they're taking. As someone who has finished every GOW game AND didn't want Kratos to return they found a happy medium with Kratos not being the same Kratos...

Also if u listen to the Glixel podcast John Davidson mentions the axe's name is LEVIATHAN & it was created by the blacksmith that made Mjolnir

Sesha

I missed this part:

This is not Dark Souls: Odin Edition. Kratos can still slice, dice, hack and wreck with the best of them.

It might not be Dark Souls, but it's looks more like an action RPG than any other title in the spectacle fighter/stylish/extreme action genre since 2001. If it still is one, then it's among the slowest. Can you still jump in this? If not, that sets it apart from most if not all of them as well.

Mortal Kombat 9 was a sequel but more of a reboot, so they named it just Mortal Kombat.
Tomb Raider (2013) was a complete reboot so they called it just Tomb Raider.
DmC was a reboot too and they called it Devil May Cry.

If that's always the case, then why is Resident Evil 7: biohazard as a soft-reboot called that and not Resident Evil: biohazard?

If that's always the case, then why is Resident Evil 7: biohazard as a soft-reboot called that and not Resident Evil: biohazard?

They did and they chose a very smart way to highlight that this sequel is a reboot or to be more precise that this reboot is a seque (Most of people expected this to be complete reboot and didn't expect it to have any ties with the previous games)l by playing with the letters to hide number 7 in them.
It's called Resident EVII_ and number 7 in roman VII is hidden in the letters.

Nev

Banned
Sounds good and the latest gameplay video is reassuring. I was fearing they'd go full no gameplay walking simulator mature cinematic narrative experience Druckmann's Naughty Dog style but tbh I shouldn't have doubted SSM, they know gameplay comes first.

Sanctuary

spirit of a classic fantasy adventure game

Well that's no good. :(

Anyway, the Zelda inspiration made me about spit out my drink.

God of War. Zelda. God of War + Zelda = Darksiders. Zelda + ??? = God of War?

Anyway, still one of the games I am most anticipating.

I don't want to be that guy, but how is that sequence possible without a QTE. It seems the player has very little control. Maybe I'm missing something?

I don't know if this is simply a bow skill cooldown indicator that it's now "available", but it really looks like a QTE in this video when Kratos jumps to do his second ground slam. Most everything after doesn't even appear to be player interaction at all, and entirely scripted.

https://youtu.be/CJ_GCPaKywg?t=296

SomTervo

It certainly isn't an open-world game by any means, but it does contain many hidden sights off the beaten track. Find the means to discover them, and you'll be treated to all kinds of new delights, none of them vital to your journey, but all of them enriching it in some way, be that by additional narrative context, or simply revealing a cool new part of the world.

This sounds just like old God of War. It was great for being linear but with nice hidden details. Exciting.

_Ryo_

Looks and sounds amazing. My only concern is that there will not be any focus on great puzzles, and platforming.

I actually enjoy the puzzle and platforming aspects of the previous games, so I will be sad if they're gone.

As long as it's not a mindless hack and slash, I'm in. I hated the other god of war games. (yes, I tried extensively to get into 1 and then 3 when I got my PS3)

MBS

Banned
I'm sold on this. I love how they 're streamlining the whole game, removing annoyances such as button mashing for open doors, hatches, items etc. Thing that slowed down the flow of the game in the past. Glad they haven't toned down the violence as i was afraid. I'm also ok with the new combat system as long as they include more and powerful weapons later on.

This GOW has a strong potential to become the best PS4 exclusive ever by far, and i'm not exaggerating.

jett

D-Member
A variation of the quick time event will still appear in the game. For big, elaborate boss battles, Barlog said, players can expect the ”Track and Field" design, referring to the classic NES game in which players quickly spammed buttons to create a feeling of physical exertion. In dramatic sequences, God of War might ask the player to spam ”X" or twirl the control sticks to mimic the action happening on screen. But at no point will the game require the player to tap a button at a precise moment.

I guess this game still got QTEs then? If that's accurate. Those are just as awful if not more awful than the "simon says" QTEs.

”[QTE's] are cool," said Barlog, ”but we're finding a better way."

Well I hope.

hotcyder

One thing I've always been confused about regarding Kratos

Is he black? I know he has an African American VO, and i'm sure there is some promotional art of him without his war paint. Just that - feature wise - he doesn't look black in any of this new artwork.

Mister Wolf

Is he black? I know he has an African American VO, and i'm sure there is some promotional art of him without his war paint. Just that - feature wise - he doesn't look black in any of this new artwork.

Kratos is Greek.

Pretty sure he's Greek.

Kinyou

He looks like this without the ashes

bWkk1d1.jpg

He's simply greek.

Change the terrible camera angle and I'm on board.

Terrible camera angle?
Are you upset that it's third person? Or that the camera is too close to Kratos or something?

Kratos is Spartan and Greek.
You can get fairly dark skinned people there in the Mediterranean region.

I've never thought of him as white personally.
This is how he looks before he got cursed.

latest

I don't understand how people would have expected a sex minigame, it wouldn't match the more mature, serious tone of the game. It wouldn't fit with the new Kratos who is reinventing himself as a responsible family man and mentor for his son.

Top Bottom