• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmithnCo

I love this paragraph from the Destructoid article. Specifically the controls section. The way jumping feels can absolutely make a game great or drive me crazy. I'm really excited it appears they got that all ironed out.

Nice sounding preview, especially with it not being too floaty.

SSReborn

Like I said earlier it would be cool if they had an "Evasive" that you could activate at 2 bars for when you see someone activated a special. Something like Parappa going on his skateboard and being more evasive or Kratos being able to fly for a limited amount of time. Fat princess could turn into a chicken while 4 other chickens run around confusing the player. Just some examples of the concept.

Drencrom

I'm still a little concerned about "super KO's only". If you miss your super after beating the shit out of you're opponent, you've pretty much did that all for nothing and now you're in disadvantage because your opponent have more AP then you, isn't that a bit strange? People will get frustrated when they'll miss with their super because their advantage nullifies if you don't land that hit. Why haven't any journalist asked Superbot about the dynamic that comes with this whole new system, everyone seems to just keep saying that people will be more inclined in beating each other more (which I think is great). It just seems to take away all real purpose of fighting because the meter is the only thing that really matters. As I said before, this seems more like an extra mode to me.

And yeah, more color and make it less hazy (the backgrounds looks foggy).

I'm still a little concerned about "super KO's only". If you miss your super after beating the shit out of you're opponent, you've pretty much did that all for nothing and now you're in disadvantage because your opponent have more AP then you, isn't that a bit strange? As I said before, this seems more like a extra mode to me. People will get frustrated when they'll miss with their super because their advantage nullifies if you don't land that hit with it. Why haven't any journalist asked Superbot about the dynamic that comes with this whole new system, everyone seems to just keep saying that people will be more inclined in beating each other more (which I think is great). It just seems to take away all real purpose of fighting because the meter is the only thing that really matters.

I think you can combo from normals to super, at least kratos did it in the video, a couple normals followed by lv 1 super. That will make it easoer to land a hit

I just think it looks too dark, meaning your characters look like silhouettes, and don't pop. I'd like to be able to see the details.

I'd like to see more colour. Battle Royale needs to look like Power Stone, which was just a technicolour showboat back in the day. Seriously, first game I ever played on my Dreamcast and it blew my socks off with it's vibrancy.

I'm still a little concerned about "super KO's only". If you miss your super after beating the shit out of you're opponent, you've pretty much did that all for nothing and now you're in disadvantage because your opponent have more AP then you, isn't that a bit strange? People will get frustrated when they'll miss with their super because their advantage nullifies if you don't land that hit. Why haven't any journalist asked Superbot about the dynamic that comes with this whole new system, everyone seems to just keep saying that people will be more inclined in beating each other more (which I think is great). It just seems to take away all real purpose of fighting because the meter is the only thing that really matters. As I said before, this seems more like an extra mode to me.

Don't miss?

Honestly by the looks of it it appears to take more effort to miss with a super than to hit someone, but if you do happen to miss you deserve to be at a disadvantage in my opinion.

monocromo

I'm still a little concerned about "super KO's only". If you miss your super after beating the shit out of you're opponent, you've pretty much did that all for nothing and now you're in disadvantage because your opponent have more AP then you, isn't that a bit strange? People will get frustrated when they'll miss with their super because their advantage nullifies if you don't land that hit with it. Why haven't any journalist asked Superbot about the dynamic that comes with this whole new system, everyone seems to just keep saying that people will be more inclined in beating each other more (which I think is great). It just seems to take away all real purpose of fighting because the meter is the only thing that really matters. As I said before, this seems more like an extra mode to me.

Maybe this will come as disrespectful but if you miss your special you are going to know how J Wong felt.

In an attempt of a more serious response, the tension when you have your super ready is going to be terrible. Its like "do it right or throw all your work to the trash bin"

Drencrom

I think you can combo from normals to super, at least kratos did it in the video, a couple normals followed by lv 1 super. That will make it easoer to land a hit

Yes, but it doesn't take away the fact that if you miss it you're shit out of luck and all that hard combo work for nothing because you'r opponent didn't really lose anything even though he/she was beaten to a pulp.

I find it strange that they adopted such a dubious KO system when they should just have regular HP or damage percentage as standard and have this super KO only as an extra mode or something. It kinda irritates me because this looks really great otherwise the super KO's only thing and it's so fundamental.

Maybe this will come as disrespectful but if you miss your special you are going to know how J Wong felt.

Hehe, I don't get it :(

SmithnCo

Don't miss?

Honestly by the looks of it it appears to take more effort to miss with a super than to hit someone, but if you do happen to miss you deserve to be at a disadvantage in my opinion.

Yeah.

I actually like this system. You have to work to the point where you have a chance for a KO. Make it more important to not randomly pop off supers and could lead to a lot of exciting situations. Plus it differentiates the game from other fighters, even Smash.

Of course it also means they'll have to really balance the supers, because one overpowered super could mess the whole thing up. Thankfully there are patches if that happens.

Darknight

I'd like to see more colour. Battle Royale needs to look like Power Stone, which was just a technicolour showboat back in the day. Seriously, first game I ever played on my Dreamcast and it blew my socks off with it's vibrancy.

I think it would look bland going by the power stone example. The characters would be out of place. It worked on PS bc the graphics were arcady and blocky. It would look like a last gen game if they make the bg too simplistic looking and stages like Hades would look odd. I think they look fine. Its a "mash up" after all. (Hades realistic just like source and Patapons cartoony like source)

Yes, but it doesn't take away the fact that if you miss it you're shit out of luck and all that hard combo work for nothing because you'r opponent didn't really lose anything even though he/she was beaten to a pulp.

In nearly any multiplayer FPS, for example, you can shoot an opponent, but if you don't hit him with enought bullets, all your work is for nothing, because the opponent will run and regen life in a few seconds.

The only issue that I see with that system is that you can build your power gauge using bad players as sparring... and then use that power gauge to make nearly unavoidable KO to good players. And I'm not even sure that is an issue, because it give more tactic to the combat.

Misguided

Banned
0.jpg

This really needs to be incorporated in some fashion!

Kurod

Banned
I just thought of another item I'd like to see in the game: The Groovitron. I just imagined Kratos, Sweet Tooth, and Radec caught in its funky spell and a big ol' grin invaded my face.

So many potentially awesome items from the R&C series alone.

tranciful

In nearly any multiplayer FPS, for example, you can shoot an opponent, but if you don't hit him with enought bullets, all your work is for nothing, because the opponent will run and regen life in a few seconds.

The only issue that I see with that system is that you can build your power gauge using bad players as sparring... and then use that power gauge to make nearly unavoidable KO to good players. And I'm not even sure that is an issue, because it give more tactic to the combat.

Yeah it'll be an interesting dynamic to be sure.

To build up meter, it'll be advantageous to go after players least likely to damage you. When you have supers, it'll be advantageous to go after the leader.

I just thought of another item I'd like to see in the game: The Groovitron. I just imagined Kratos, Sweet Tooth, and Radec caught in its funky spell and a big ol' grin invaded my face.

So many potentially awesome items from the R&C series alone.

That would be incredible.

Mr. Zurkon has got to be one of Ratchet's super moves. That'll be hilarity, watching him fly around the level shooting at everyone while rattling off his sadistic one-liners.

Loudninja

Lets talk about the game modes.

Single player:
Story Mode
Combat Trials
Arcade mode

Online:
Tournament mode
Special Event Battle
Custom Matches

The press release mention alot of stuff.

This game sees to have a ton of modes.

I think this game has the possibility of doing really well at retail.

I was looking over at the sales thread, and noticed that Twisted Metal, a franchise that has been dead for years, managed to do pretty darn well.

08l.jpg

11th best selling game this year, and solidly more than 300k total sales.

Given the popularity of God of War, Uncharted, etc., I can see this title doing somewhere around 500K or more in the US when it's all said and done, and I think those are pretty great numbers for a new fighter IP.

Yeah it'll be an interesting dynamic to be sure.

To build up meter, it'll be advantageous to go after players least likely to damage you. When you have supers, it'll be advantageous to go after the leader.

There are different possibilities. You can build up meter and then go to the leader (+1 KO for you, -1 KO for him)... or use the meter to kill the same roockie players, to get a easier +1 KO for you.

Also, that dynamic make the power bar to act like a "shield". You can risk to attack to someone that can KO you, or attack someone that already spent all his power bars, because you can KO him but he can't KO you until he has at least 1 power bar. Also, if you consume all your power bars, you'll be the main target of all the players, specially if you are the leader.

KingK

I'm surprised Twisted Metal is doing that well, tbh. I was expecting a major bomb because there was almost no hype around release.

I hope they have online profiles. Like MvC but maybe more in depth.

No idea what MvC does, but online profiles would be really nice. Like rank your most played character, your number of KOs/Deaths with each character, etc.

SmithnCo

No idea what MvC does, but online profiles would be really nice. Like rank your most played character, your number of KOs/Deaths with each character, etc.

MvC has your ranking, win/loss ratio, and an avatar and saying.

Mostly what I want are character breakdowns like you said, with stuff like most played character and the character that you win the most with.

Endo Punk

Aside from gameplay/mechanics which I will judge based on demo if the game does not have the following characters I will not purchase day 1 or month of release. Parappa is in so it gives me hope that devs are looking deep in the Playstation catalogue.

I wont name the obvious and characters that already have their stages in the game because it's clear they too will make an appearance like Jak for example. Anyway:

1. Ape Escape character, preferably Spike or Spector.
2. Sir Daniel Fortesque from MediEvil
3. Jennifer Tate from Primal.
4. ICO or Wander from Team ICO games.
5. Dart from Legend or Dragoon.

Aside from gameplay/mechanics which I will judge based on demo if the game does not have the following characters I will not purchase day 1 or month of release. Parappa is in so it gives me hope that devs are looking deep in the Playstation catalogue.

I wont name the obvious and characters that already have their stages in the game because it's clear they too will make an appearance like Jak for example. Anyway:

The game won't have all the characters you want. Probably won't have any on that list, tbh.

Oh well, -1 purchase for Superbot.

Loudninja

Players can fight in a variety of configurations, including versus matches for four, team battles, special practice modes, and team up with friends to take on players online. Online battles will deliver a new set of challenges, including Tournament mode, Special Event Battle, and Custom Matches. In Tournament, players are matched online to gain experience and special awards. Special Event Battles allow SuperBot to set match parameters daily, and players earn experience points towards an overall leaderboard based on performance. Players can also arrange customized matches with their own rules.

In addition to a rich and deep online multiplayer experience, players can engage in several single player modes including Combat Trials and Arcade mode. In Combat Trials, players not only learn the basics of the game but perfect their skills through hundreds of unique challenges. Additionally players can play through a fixed level progression with prizes in Arcade mode.
Not sure why we are not discussing this :p

KingK

I wouldn't bet on all of those, but 2 or 3 are certainly likely, imo. Wander and/or ICO specifically will probably have a really good chance.

The more watching and reading I do, the less excited I am about the super moves. Like others here, when I play brawl I turn off the smash balls. The thing that makes them okay is that you are given that option. What I'm getting from this game is that it would be like playing brawl, but nothing you do matters till you got the smash ball.

By having the super moves be the one and only way to achieve KO's, it just feels like they are limiting you in choices. Also, like mentioned by others, it takes away from environmental damage. Oh no, Hades hit me. No big deal. It kinda takes away the notion of having to dodge that stuff. Like, whats the point of the spike pit in the ratchet and clank level if it doesn't actually pose a threat to me.

I also just realized, there can't be a final destination style map in this game. I mean, that would be so bad. All it would be is just someone getting there super, then completely killing everyone else. Repeat till time up. You couldn't dodge or do anything against it. Eugh, no thanks.

Environmental damage temporarily stuns you, leaving you open and vulnerable to attacks, by which opposing players are able to increase their super level as a result.

Also, it's completely false that "nothing you do matters" until you get the super. In order to get the super, everything you do matters.

KingK

But seriously though. I'm sure there's a lot of feedback they're taking in right now, and it's probably hard to separate legitimate criticism from the dearth of Nintendo fanboy death threats I'm sure they're getting, but I hope to god that they realize how hideous that logo is.

It's probably too late now to change the shitty title, but that logo at least has got to go.

My rambling, semi-coherent opinion on what the roster/stages/references will be, realistically.

Complete dead certs: I think you guys will agree, I can't see this game happening without Drake, Cole, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank and Sackboy. I also think they'll do something interesting with Sackboy's gameplay to reflect his customisable motif. Face it, if Sackboy wasn't in, he'd be featured somewhere in LBP's stage.

Chimera could be in, making it different from Radec could be difficult but it would be a bit harsh if Resistance wasn't in there, even though it's commonly thought to be a hit and miss series (so is Killzone though). Not expecting Hale, it will be a Chimera if it happens. If not, I think Resistance will at the very least get a stage.

With Patapon being referenced, there's no way in hell Loco Roco won't be. I'd put money on it.

Nariko is much more likely than people think, for the chick quota, HS's cult appeal and because I doubt there's anyone who's played HS and GOW that doesn't want to see her square off against Kratos.

I think they'll at least try to battle to get Spyro and Crash in there. How it turns out is between SuperBot and Universal. Both characters literally ARE PSX. And if you get Crash, hell you might as well have Cortex, IMO.

Not sure what to say about Ape Escape. A few years back they'd be a definite, but after a long string of mediocre games and just better stuff out there I'm not so sure. Maybe as a small reference somewhere. That said, Spike and his gadgets would be a great fighter and I'd love the nostalgia.

Similarly, I'm not expecting all the obscure Psone characters like Robbit or Blasto to show up. Or Tombi. Yes I loved it too. But I think Sir Dan is the most obscure they will allow - he's got a real iconic Tim Burton-esque quality as well that's pretty unmistakeable.

I think Team Ico will get some kind of nod, but I'll be surprised (and delighted) if it were a character. I'm thinking definitely a stage. In a perfect world Wander would be playable with sword, bow, and riding Agro as a level 3 super.

Similar to that, Journey has absolutely got to be in there somewhere being it's astonishingly fast (and deserved) cult status, but I think it'll be a stage or just as bg characters.

I don't think you'll get sidekicks like Sully, Elena, Quark, Athena etc. I think it'll just be main heroes/villains. Nefarious has a bigger chance than most simply because he's Playstation's funniest villain and could potentially play really interestingly, with the butler getting involved. "LAWRENCE!!"

It keeps coming up, but I would be very, very surprised to see the Souls games represented. I just don't see it happening, even though I am a huge fan of FROM. I don't think it's fits very well here, but I could be wrong.

Would also love an Oddworld stage but don't see it happening, sadly. OW is still clawing it's way up from obscurity, IMO. Escape Plan would be a nice reference somewhere, that was a great game as well. Lil and Laarg in the background somewhere?

3rd party chars? I think Snake and Lara have a high chance. I can see stuff like maybe Ubi giving up Rayman, and Namco giving up the Prince (or the King) of all Cosmos, as they are prominent on Playstation (both are Vita launch games, too). Just guesses really. If it's Snake I think he'll be Old, and to distance him from his Brawl role give him Metal Gear Mk II, shifting Octocamo and a railgun.

That's all I got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom