• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cryptocurrency |OT| Nothing from Money

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Anyone else have issues buying on Coinbase even once verified? Seems like they EU Credit/Debit Card system is nearly always down.

I'm mining BTC until I make 100€. The coin is too hard to mine for end-users but the current prices make you a profit.
I'm changing my output to ETH for when I'm away from home.

Anyway, I'm storing my BTC on the NiceHash wallet, but that 10 € fee is gigantic.
Any recommended Wallets to store my BTC coins and future ETH coins?

When you say you're mining BTC? With a GPU rig? Or you're using Nicehash and receiving BTC rewards?

Hisoka

Sooo.. Byteball will do another airdrop of bytes and blackbytes on 9th of June. I signed the message instead of giving them BTC (Used Mycelium as my btc wallet for this).

Sooo.. Airdopping means they push out their first coins to some people for free, right?

But then the message was something like: "Signature was OK."

"You receive 62.5 MB and 131,943,750 blackbytes for each 1 BTC of the total balance of this Bitcoin address on June 9.

Current balance of this address is 0 BTC.

For the bytes you hold on June 9 you receive 0.2 new byte for each 1 byte of your balance, even if your bytes are not on linked Byteball addresses.

You also receive 0.42222 blackbytes for each 1 byte of your balance on the linked Byteball address, which currently is: 0GB."

Ahhhh yessss. I understand next to NUFFIN
Can anybody help? And guys do this as its free crypto for everyone.
Also heads up to IOTA which gets hyped and will hit bittrex the next days.

Brandson

I'm looking forward to ETH dropping in the short term, need to buy more.

There are a few events to keep an eye on for this. If there is something like a 100% increase in ETH prices during the Chinese blockchain conference next week, then there is a good chance of a correction right at the end or immediately after the conference. The price before and after the conference may still end up being higher that it is today though.

Another event to watch out for is Bitcoin may be getting a hard or soft fork in August. When that happens, there is a chance Bitcoin's price might fall significantly, pulling down ETH, and all other altcoins, with it. If that happens, ETH would probably recover within a relatively short time, but it may be a buying opportunity. But again, the price might still be higher than it is today when this happens.

There are a few events to keep an eye on for this. If there is something like a 100% increase in ETH prices during the Chinese blockchain conference next week, then there is a good chance of a correction right at the end or immediately after the conference. The price before and after the conference may still end up being higher that it is today though.

Another event to watch out for is Bitcoin may be getting a hard or soft fork in August. When that happens, there is a chance Bitcoin's price might fall significantly, pulling down ETH, and all other altcoins, with it. If that happens, ETH would probably recover within a relatively short time, but it may be a buying opportunity. But again, the price might still be higher than it is today when this happens.

The Chinese blockchain conference should be interesting come next week. I have a feeling some interesting news comes out about ETHs future that will send the price up.

It seems as of late last week, ETH hasn't been as dependant on Bitcoin's rise or drop anymore. It seemed that way considering there were points where BTC was dropping like crazy, yet ETH was sitting at a decent spot not going up or dropping too much.

Red

Which services allow USD transfers? I've only used coinbase, and I like it, but transactions take weeks and its selection is limited.

Brandson

Which services allow USD transfers? I've only used coinbase, and I like it, but transactions take weeks and its selection is limited.

I think Kraken accepts USD wires. It may not be any faster though. I have no experience with that.

Brandson

Has anyone bought into ARK or Golem and where is the best place to buy some of both?

Bittrex has both. Poloniex has Golem. I own a small amount of Golem, but haven't decided if I want to hold it long term or not yet. I like the synergy with Ethereum. I don't like the market cap valuation given their current development state. The valuation is all on pure potential, which is why I'm not holding that much of it.

Krakatoa

What's good to see real-time stats on these coins? At the moment I have coins on three different sites, and I'd like a place to centrally monitor as I buy more coins.

Also any tips on breaking up BTC to buy different coins. Say I have 1 BTC and I want to buy several other coins with it. Is the only way to do this by doing the math on each coin and working out the value for each coin, and how much BTC?

Brandson

What's good to see real-time stats on these coins? At the moment I have coins on three different sites, and I'd like a place to centrally monitor as I buy more coins.

Also any tips on breaking up BTC to buy different coins. Say I have 1 BTC and I want to buy several other coins with it. Is the only way to do this by doing the math on each coin and working out the value for each coin, and how much BTC?

For ETH real-time stats, you can just have this open in a tab all day long: https://www.gdax.com/trade/ETH-USD. Whatever happens on GDAX should be reflected in all the other exchanges fast enough.

For everything else, I recommend https://coinmarketcap.com/

For breaking up BTC, some exchanges can tell you how much you will get of a coin once you type in an amount of BTC you want to spend on the trading screen for that coin. Then you can play with that a bit to get the numbers you want. I'm not aware of a service that you can just instruct to buy an evenly distributed amount of coins X, Y, and Z, using this amount of bitcoins.

I think it's better to not rely too much on an exchange to make decisions for you anyway. Better to figure everything out yourself, and give precise instructions. No surprises that way.

Dropping below $250 seems unlikely, but you never know. If it does drop a lot, the bounce back can be just as fast. Selling as it's falling is a big risk.

It's bounced back up, I was able to get a few more at $250.....I tried at $246, but was having an issue with darn Gemini.

I plan to setup my 1070 tonight to start mining some ZCash, then converting that to ETH. I've been reading guys are getting $5-6 a day mining it so I'll do that in addition to buying when I can.

Compsiox

Banned
It's bounced back up, I was able to get a few more at $250.....I tried at $246, but was having an issue with darn Gemini.

I plan to setup my 1070 tonight to start mining some ZCash, then converting that to ETH. I've been reading guys are getting $5-6 a day mining it so I'll do that in addition to buying when I can.

Mining in a ZCash pool or independently?

I'm up a cool 31% on ETH right now over the last 2 weeks.

If only I had known to put something into BTC back in 2012. I would be retired now. Oh well.

Clefargle

Hey GAF

I just got my first .01 bitcoin and am waiting for the next drop to commit more. nice OT, I'm subbed now and will keep an eye on it. Interested in etherium and mining too

RSP

I've started using Nicehash a couple of weeks ago. All of the systems at the office are now delivering mining capacity in order to recoup on the investment of the GPU itself, and other hardware. We have about 40 systems in the office and need to upgrade quite often. This is a nice way of covering that expense.

We'll see how long it remains profitable. Electricity is very cheap, so even if the revenue halves we'll still be OK.

Thank you OP for putting this together, just going to paste what I put in the other thread:

I jumped into the Bitcoin/Alt Coin world at the weekend. Put $200 into BTC when it was at $2550. Put half of that into XBY which has been going up and down but I am going long with that.

The rest I put into BITB and MOON which have really paid off. Got into Moon at 16 Sats got out at 32 Sats and BITB got it at 183 Sats and out at 430 Sats. Got back into BITB at 254 though now and it has come to stop but think it will bounce up in a few days so I can get out of it.

All in all though I have more than doubled the $100 I started playing around with on the long shot shit coins and still have the other 100 in XBY, so not a bad couple of days.

It's been a lot of fun reading up on everything and then looking at all the trends and graphs and trying to predict which coin is going to shoot up next. Still lots to learn but off to a good start so far I think.

BraXzy

Can you recommend the best places to buy some of these coins for UKgaf please?

Recently signed up and have been verified for Coinfloor for BTC trading, would appreciate any recommendations for other currencies please

Thanks!

I still haven't found anywhere that has a decent exchange here without fees. I still don't fully understand the cause for high fees and such but I bought from Bittylicious witout issue.

Whoever makes a UK exchange with reasonable fees and bank transfers could make a pretty penny.

I still haven't found anywhere that has a decent exchange here without fees. I still don't fully understand the cause for high fees and such but I bought from Bittylicious witout issue.

Whoever makes a UK exchange with reasonable fees and bank transfers could make a pretty penny.

Yeah it was a bit of hassle getting some BTC. I ended up signing up on C-Cex and Payeer. I used Payeer to take $200 off my credit card and then transferred that to C-Cex to buy BTC. Now I have signed up on Yobit and Bittrex and just bouncing around those exchanges.

This is the problem with this industry at the minute it's the barrier to entry. When someone comes up with a simple, quick and safe way to get money out of your bank and into BTC then it will sky rocket.

Well... I took a shot in the dark. Ordered 4 of the cards from here.

http://www.shopblt.com/item/gigabyt...on-rx-580-gaming/gigmbd_gvrx580gaming4gd.html

They seemed to have good consumer feedback... Read a few troubling things about pre-order items on reddit. But just as much positive. :/ Worth the try I feel like.

They don't charge until it ships either, and supposedly I can cancel up until shipping so, we'll see.

I tried with the instocknow and alerts for Newegg etc. When the alert would go off, the cards would already be OOS. And these were even for the $280 ones.

Donos

Thanks for this thread !!!!

Going to digest all of it soon as a lot of it is still confusing. Planing on investing like 300-400 € (not mining) which would not hurt that much if i loose them although i'm planing rather a long term investment. Maybe play with another, smaller side budget a bit more aggressively.

It's really not a "getting rich / new car" investement but just cash i would spent for gadgets/games/hobbies otherswise so i want to stick my toe into this world. If it ends up giving me some nice returns, even better, if not it will be at least an interesting endeavor.

Any good german exchanges or should i just go to the known "international" which got listed here?

My gf has a good chunk of cash on the bank but with the super low interest rates atm this would maybe be a possibily to take 1000 - 2000 € and try something new, if she sees that it works for me.

Copenap

Thanks for this thread !!!!

Going to digest all of it soon as a lot of it is still confusing. Planing on investing like 300-400 € (not mining) which would not hurt that much if i loose them although i'm planing rather a long term investment. Maybe play with another, smaller side budget a bit more aggressively.

It's really not a "getting rich / new car" investement but just cash i would spent for gadgets/games/hobbies otherswise so i want to stick my toe into this world. If it ends up giving me some nice returns, even better, if not it will be at least an interesting endeavor.

Any good german exchanges or should i just go to the known "international" which got listed here?

My gf has a good chunk of cash on the bank but with the super low interest rates atm this would maybe be a possibily to take 1000 - 2000 € and try something new, if she sees that it works for me
That sounds like disaster in the making unless 1k-2k is play money for your gf.

FeD.nL

I agree with this. Basically I see the coins like this right now:

Bitcoin - Store of value. It's useless for pretty much anything else until they resolve the blocksize issue.

Ethereum - Man, this one is hard to sum up in a sentence but Ethereum at its fullest potential could be the backbone of the next evolution of the internet with what it allows people to do. There are a whole bunch of alt coins attempting to emulate its Smart Contracts system but I don't think any are even attempting to do what Ethereum is with it's decentralized application functions.

Dash - I think this is what Bitcoin was initially meant to be. The transactions are instant and it has an interesting governance model. It also limits the power of miners and has the ability to make transactions private.

Privacy Centric Coins - I don't think there is a clear leader in this category yet. There's Monero but the dev team is completely untrustworthy. There's also ZCash and DASH as well as a whole bunch of other alt speculative altcoins. I think these coins might not have as much utility in the developed world but I can see them being very useful for people who live under authoritarian governments.

On Ether, why do you think that?

Isn't it a glaring weakness that Vitalik can decide to make more and act like a Central Bank?

Donos

That sounds like disaster in the making unless 1k-2k is play money for your gf.

Like i said, she has a little bunch on her account which she saved up since forever, 2000€ is just a part of it. She was playing with the idea of investing a smaller part of it and read up on a bunch of things (funds, long low risk investements etc).

Explaining her Cryptocurrency would probably chase her away anyway so i doubt that she would get into it even if it would work for me.
She would not have managed to save that much if she wasn't very restrained with her money.

I'm the opposite -_- *yolo*

BraXzy

Yeah it was a bit of hassle getting some BTC. I ended up signing up on C-Cex and Payeer. I used Payeer to take $200 off my credit card and then transferred that to C-Cex to buy BTC. Now I have signed up on Yobit and Bittrex and just bouncing around those exchanges.

This is the problem with this industry at the minute it's the barrier to entry. When someone comes up with a simple, quick and safe way to get money out of your bank and into BTC then it will sky rocket.

Jesus Christ. The latest pump is for a coin called 'STAR' which has gone up 2300% in the last few hours. It's going to cliff dive at some point of course but damn, if you grabbed some randomly and dive out near the top...

Edit: 3100%...

Jesus Christ. The latest pump is for a coin called 'STAR' which has gone up 2300% in the last few hours. It's going to cliff dive at some point of course but damn, if you grabbed some randomly and dive out near the top...

Edit: 3100%...

Star is only at 1000% now. Went from 1 SAT to 34 SAT in 2 hours, gutted I missed that.

BraXzy

Star is only at 1000% now. Went from 1 SAT to 34 SAT in 2 hours, gutted I missed that.

Yeah it peaked at 3400% and then dumped. I don't understand it though, whoever pumped it, did so with dozens of BTC. Then when the price was highest I guess they dump all their coins but, there was only a couple BTC worth of buy orders total. How is money not lost there?

Tk0n

sold my monero (because it was boring) and got some smaller altcoins instead.
i guess that means that monero will shoot up like crazy in the next days ;)

Compsiox

Banned
The coinbase identification process is the worst. I want to die.

It's forcing me to use my front camera on every device and I can't get a clear picture. I want to die.

On Ether, why do you think that?

Isn't it a glaring weakness that Vitalik can decide to make more and act like a Central Bank?

I'm a but of an anomaly in the crypto world as I do not believe that a finite number of coins is a good thing. It just makes people horde them which discourages their use. Nobody in this thread wants to be the guy who spent 10,000 Bitcoin on a pizza back in the day. I don't care how much of a pioneer he is, he's just gonna be remembered for as the guy who threw away millions to prove an ideological point. If any of you guys want, you can be that guy with Ether as there is a bar in The Netherlands that accepts ether.

If the rate of currency creation is exceeded by demand, the inflation on it is fairly limited. That's my stance on that aspect.

As for why Ether is so attractive, it's because it has an underlying platform that forces people to use ether whenever they create something. Ethereum makes it possible for you to create your own cryptocurrency with without requiring the need to create your own Blockchain or even your own wallet. In order to do that you expend ether. It makes things easier to do for developers at the trade off of requiring you to use a small amount of ether to build and create projects.

Adoption is what ultimately is going to make cryptocurrencies mainstream and Ethereum had the best tools to make it happen IMO.

ZOONAMI

Switched from Nicehash to mining ETH from a pool for myself using Jaxx as my wallet. Just seemed to make more sense. And it's more fun to be mining something that could potentially go up a lot more in the future. Or down. But still.

What pool are you mining? How do you set it up? I am using Nicehash currently and it does seem like it would make more sense to just mine ether.

I feel like BTC is in a huge bubble right now so I'd rather just have the ether.

What pool are you mining? How do you set it up? I am using Nicehash currently and it does seem like it would make more sense to just mine ether.

I feel like BTC is in a huge bubble right now so I'd rather just have the ether.

I use Ethermine pools currently.

https://ethermine.org

Use the connect option information below.

But basically what you have to do is get a miner like Claymore's Dual Miner (You probably saw this inside NiceHash). I personally think it's the best for ETH, at least for AMD cards. But inside you edit the start.bat file with the connect info of the link I gave you.

Run the bat and it should run just like you saw in Nicehash. You can track your progress with
https://ethermine.org/miners/YOURADDRESS replacing YOURADDRESS with your public wallet code for your ETH wallet (The code you put into the bat determining where you are mining to).

I'm more than happy to run you through setup if you want to PM me. Or you can look up a YouTube video which you can probably walk through step by step pretty easy.

Goon

What do you guys think of swarmcity? It has a big release on the 15th. It seems like it has alot of potential if they deliver on the concept of a decentralized uber/Craigslist

Top Bottom