• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Final Fantasy Demo is out! (PS4/PS Vita)

Quocia

Neo Member
That's just the "pre-load" ahead of time so that when the game is supposed to be available, it unlocks on the PS4 desktop and you can start using it straight away, rather than having to download it on the day, and then wait until it's finished, then installed so you can play it.

It may not be as social, but I actually prefer this kind of midnight launch to the normal, "line up at store, at night, in autumn/winter," scenario.

I see, thanks for the explanation. I never buy digital so I'm more used to the "when-is-amazon-gonna-ship-my-game"problem.

I track my games and Amazon has shipped it last Friday, so I'm pretty sure I'll either receive it this Monday evening or Tuesday morning. Will post my impressions when I'll get it, but very excited atm

Peff

bMDzYKm.png

Huh.

giphy.gif

Fewr

Played the demo and o can see the main game being a chore. Combat seems slow and seems like it will take a while to actually accomplish things and get from a to b. due to my gaming time per day being limited I just don't think I'll have the time to dedicate to this :/
This is my opinion too. I think I'll wait for this to hit $40 so I won't feel too bad when I leave the game because I don't have the time it requires.

mejin

Demo surprised me. Game mechanics are more interesting than I thought it'd be. Really liked the game. PS4 version day one.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
It's not. Players move along the turn bar based on their Agility. There are also other mechanics that puts the player along middle or 70% of the turn bar, and then they race to the top to see who wins the turn. Your tactics change based on if you would win a turn or not.

You just need to explore the combat system a bit more to understand.
He's saying that it doesn't make sense to sit there watching the bars fill in Wait Mode. In Active Mode, it makes sense because the speed at which the bars fill affects how much time you have to make decisions/navigate the menus. In Wait Mode, they might as well have just precalculated the turn order (including the mechanics you mention) ala FFX.

N° 2048

Yup. Cancelled my preorder because of it. No way I'm buying games anymore before reviews are out. Now unless it's amazing I'll be waiting for a sale or not buying at all.

Or play the demo...watch videos...make up your own mind.

Why rely on reviews when so much footage and a demo is out?

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
He's saying that it doesn't make sense to sit there watching the bars fill in Wait Mode. In Active Mode, it makes sense because the speed at which the bars fill affects how much time you have to make decisions/navigate the menus. In Wait Mode, they might as well have just precalculated the turn order (including the mechanics you mention) ala FFX.

I guess I can see why it's there so you get a sense of the relative speed of your characters, the problem is the thing moves too damn slow even when you turn the battle speed all the way up. You spend half your time in battles just watching that stupid gauge, and the other half watching the overly-long battle animations.

Sucks how abysmally long and boring these battles are. I really liked the idea of capturing/training/evolving cute FF monsters.

ZeroX03

Banned

Because the demo wasn't all that great and people want to know if the final product is better.

It's not like the game is a known quantity in the way most JRPGs are. People want to know what they're getting, especially when the pre order contents are so quite significant.

Well a demo is a demo so there's that. Mostly though because it's not like I'm super excited for it to begin with at this point. I'm not following the game closely or anything but I've heard zero info about the story. All I know is that it looks great and there's a bunch of mirages to collect (I think). I'm not buying it just for that. I need to know more first.

I just wanted to let people know that I cancelled it and do not appreciate reviews not being out in a timely manner.

I managed to get my hands on the game (vita) but have yet to play more than the intro because of DQB but I didn't know that you had to d/l the voices on vita ? Even the english dub is not on the cart ?

I managed to get my hands on the game (vita) but have yet to play more than the intro because of DQB but I didn't know that you had to d/l the voices on vita ? Even the english dub is not on the cart ?

Yeah, looks like cutscenes audio is not included on the cartridge, which is a shame.
I have no idea if it'll be patched in or offered as a separate free DLC, either way nothing's available as of now.

N° 2048

Yeah, looks like cutscenes audio is not included on the cartridge, which is a shame.
I have no idea if it'll be patched in or offered as a separate free DLC, either way nothing's available as of now.

It's available as a download. I think Jap + Eng voices are like 3gb too. Someone posted the back of the NA box and it says "3GB required on Vita card"
Couple people on Reddit got their copies too.

It's available as a download. I think Jap + Eng voices are like 3gb too. Someone posted the back of the NA box and it says "3GB required on Vita card"
Couple people on Reddit got their copies too.

Not in Italy it isn't :(
The ingame downloadable content tab is empty, the game says it's updated and the DLC codes still don't work. It's not a problem though, I have a few other games to play anyway.

And oof at that 3GB, that's a lot. The Italian boxart just says "Minimum 4.5MB required". I'll need to free up some space then :/

fernoca

My Vita copy should arrive by Saturday. Can't complain since I got it free.

Really enjoyed the demo. Though turned out I enjoyed it more with battle spped at 5, active time and no voices. XD

I had no problem with the voice acting, but tjlhat combination of settings made for a more "classic" feel.

Haven't finished it though. Do I need to finish it to get the stuff for the full game?

ethomaz

Banned
I can confirm my PS4 digital preorder includes Japanese VO DLC (Vita doesn't include it in description).

US Store.

DIGITAL PRE-ORDER DETAILS:

Pre-order and receive a bonus after checking out:
- • WORLD OF FINAL FANTASY – Grymoire’s Greatest Theme

The following bonuses will be available on October 25, 2016:
• Cactuar Johnny
• Crimson Armor

The WORLD OF FINAL FANTASY® DIGITAL DAY ONE EDITION includes the following bonus content:
• Sephiroth summon
• Red Bonnetberry
• White Chocobo
• Glow Moogle
• Japanese VO

Play on 10-25-2016, Midnight Eastern Time.
CANCELLATIONS AND REFUNDS ARE NOT AVAILABLE EXCEPT WHERE REQUIRED BY LAW.

Embark on an adventure unlike any before to an all new WORLD OF FINAL FANTASY. With charming, stylised visuals for both the young and the young at heart, players will capture, customize and evolve iconic monsters by stacking them to form adorable yet strategic monster towers.

Cancelled my pre-order. Might pick back up in the new year if the reviews are good.

1. Sluggish menus. Absolutely inexcusable.
2. Wait times. The fact that the game has a fast forward function should've told the game designers that there is something wrong with their game. Fast forwarding is curing a symptom and not actually tackling the problem.
3. Story look overwrought and over emotional. I thought the story with the chibi characters would be fun, simple and and chock full of references and callbacks. Some of the preview videos had this (2 chibis sitting on Odin OMG) but some of the story stuff was instantly cringe worthy.

fernoca

Both PS4 and Vita Day One Editions include the Japanese VO DLC. Vita digital version is marked as a bundle for that reason, despite no mention in the actual listing.

Retail, it will be a code inside:

ethomaz

Banned
Both PS4 and Vita Day One Editions include the Japanese VO DLC. Vita digital version is marked as a bundle for that reason, despite no mention in the actual listing.

That for the clarification.

Yes the Vita digital is listed as bundle.

L.O.R.D

do you know what's more funny?

The retail Vita version doesn't have Eng voice in the cart,no japanese and no eng.

NR2dFfr.jpg

there will be English voice patch day one for the Vita version.

and you need 3GB empty space on you Vita to download the Voice patch (eng and jap)

the size of the game in the cart it 2.7GB,and total size of the cart is 3.5GB,so i guess they couldn't mange to put the audio files in the cart,so they decide it will be a patch.

Finally got around to playing and beating the demo. Is transmogrifications(?) the ability to turn your monsters into different sizes? How do you do it, and is it doable int he demo?

I really want to like and get this game. On paper it sounds like a great game for me. But I found the demo to be a bit too slow. Also didn't like the way the camera works when walking around. Prob will end up buying it once there is some kind of deal; maybe during black friday.

I wish the demo provided more context, a bit of an introductory story and lore. There was zero world building or exposition.

It was just a run if the mill dungeon with FF fanservice sprinkled in without any reason.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by the Bravely Default and Pokemon demos that are stand alone, self contained pieces, but I ended forcing myself to finish this WoFF demo instead of having fun with it.

Lucreto

Finally got around to playing and beating the demo. Is transmogrifications(?) the ability to turn your monsters into different sizes? How do you do it, and is it doable int he demo?

I really want to like and get this game. On paper it sounds like a great game for me. But I found the demo to be a bit too slow. Also didn't like the way the camera works when walking around. Prob will end up buying it once there is some kind of deal; maybe during black friday.

Its like pokemon evolution. You change from a Chocochick to a Chocobo, so yes you go to a small to medium. You can also change back and forth between them.

No you can't do it the demo.

I wish the demo provided more context, a bit of an introductory story and lore. There was zero world building or exposition.

It was just a run if the mill dungeon with FF fanservice sprinkled in without any reason.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by the Bravely Default and Pokemon demos that are stand alone, self contained pieces, but I ended forcing myself to finish this WoFF demo instead of having fun with it.

It was call a Dungeon demo. I don't know what you were expecting. I think this is also a self contained Dungeon and won't be in the final game.

I can't say I understand the slow comments. They give a lot of options for speeding things up, even being able to go ATB if you want. The default speeds are deliberate due to who they feel the primary audience will be.

Finished the demo. I really like the systems here with the stacks, sizes, toppling, etc. The demo doesn't really do anything to talk about the story. I'm expecting camp and something that is pretty Saturday Morning Cartoon-y in nature. I'm actually buying two copies of this. One for myself; one for my daughter.

No you can't do it the demo.

You can. It just depends on where you put them in the stack.

Bladenic

Wanted to switch to Vita version but no voices on cart sounds annoying. Probably will stick with PS4 version although I feel the game feels more like a Vita game.

Exentryk

My pre-order copy will take like a week to get to me after release (after 28th Oct). And I see all these people already have the game >_>

And I'm saying you and him are wrong when using that logic. I explained how turn bar has a purpose. This purpose is the same regardless of the battle mode (Active, Wait). The changing decisions and tactics based on who will win the turn stay the same regardless of Active or Wait mode. The battle mode is just preferences.

zMiiChy-

Banned
Vita demo runs damn good. Sticking with that system.
I'm opting for the Vita version over the PS4 - and I think the graphics are hideousand the framerate is poor.

I'm going to tolerate them of course, but the demo felt like I was playing a Wii game without motion controls.

Top Bottom